The Week that Was (11/24 - 11/27) ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

The Week that Was (11/24 - 11/27) ...

Post by pfloyd »

The official Week #1 rankings will be out on 12/5/21 ... still 28 teams to hit the court for the first time in the regular season ... on the positive side we had 43 teams open the 2021-22 season this past week/weekend - as a Cheap Seat guy, I learn something about all of the teams I put eyes on whether a team wins or loses ... Pfloyd got to see 8 different SEO teams this past week - unfortunately when teams play in the Tip Off events they usually bring in teams from Above the Lancaster-Dixon Line which is what happened at ZT's classic - Whetstone/Bishop Ready/Lancaster/Berne Union/New Hope Christian (teams outside the SEO district) ...

A few thoughts from around SEO:

Zane Trace 47
Col Bishop Ready 76 a final

Hard to tell if Ready is THAT good or if ZT isn't nearly as good as thought by the committee of one - me ... BR totally outplayed the Pioneers in every phase of the game ... with the big glaring hole in the ZT armor being the lack of PG play ... ZT had 17 turnovers/ only 2 points from the PG position ... the highlight was Xzander Ream (20pts/ 5 treys) ... the size of Stonerock,Robinson,Baker, Edler, Langley, Ream - all 6-3 and bigger was a nonfactor - allowing 42 points in the paint/ 8 pts off of offensive rebounds ... Coaches Kellough & Martin will take on Greenfield McClain on Tuesday at ZT with an opportunity to show me something better than what they showed Saturday night.

Pfloyd's official "UNofficial" Napkin Stats - Bishop Ready

Scoring ... Kaleb Schaffer 25, Troy Hixson 15, Charlie Russell 14, Luke Ruth 11, Josh Paul 5, Micah Germany 4, Kayden Schaffer 2
3 Pointers ... 7/16 ... Troy Hixson 3, Charlie Russell 2, Kaleb Schaffer 1, Josh Paul 1
FTs ... 5/8
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 21 fgs/42 pts
PnT ... 2 fg/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 4 fg/ 8 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UNofficial: Napkin Stats - Zane Trace

Scoring ... Xzander Ream 20, Kyle Stonerock 6, Austen Ison 6, Carter Hill 5, Nalin Robinson 4, Trey Edler 4, Ben Nichols 2
3 Pointers ... 7/17 ... Xzander Ream 5, Austen Ison 2
FTs ... 4/8
TOs ... 17
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 3 fgs/6 points off of offensive boards

... Coach Maddox's Warren Warriors took on Washington CH in a battle of 2 SEO district teams ... Court House showed improvement by addition - addition of PG Reico Colter ( Trotwood Madison senior transfer - 3rd school in 4 years) ... it looked like Colter would outscore the Warriors on his own ball as the 5-9 PG/SG put up 40 points for the game (4 triples, 10/11 FTs) ... Courthouse will go as far as Reico can carry them as he creates, gets into the paint/to the rim anytime he wants which opens up the kick out pass - which he does well/finding the perimeter scorer in John Wall or finding the big man 6-6 Tanner LeMaster under the basket ... Colter will most likely be the best player on the court in every game in SEO - almost unstoppable as he is so quick off the dribble, THEN throw in that he can pull up for the midrange jumper and hits the 3 ball - he's a player ... any deficiencies other players may have - he negates ... as players can BE a spot up perimeter scorer, or that BIG man around the rim who can catch and go up at the rim ... nice player for sure - 40 points will happen multiple times this season - mark it down ... Washington CH travels to Unioto for what should be a really good Tuesday night matchup ... Warren? offensively challenged - right now ... the Warriors are looking to find the role players who will score the ball - Coach Maddox graduated more than 85% of their offense from last season ... the sign reads "Perimeter scorers wanted" ... returning varsity experience - Brayden Sallee/Dennis Pettey ... both players HAVE TO stay on the court for 32 minutes - right now ... injuries/lack of depth & experience at the varsity level will take time to fill - right now ... Warren lost 76-86 to CH - any positives? freshman Julian Stadelman got the opportunity to guard Colter in the 2nd half - a lot - looked a little star struck for a couple of minutes BUT fell right into the "big stage" - did a great job/scored 4 points - JS WILL SEE more playing time at the varsity level this season ... Sallee/Pettey ARE the leaders, the duo scored a combined 12 points in the first 2 quarters of action (10 by Pettey) ... in the final 2 quarters the duo of Sallee/Pettey scored 38 points (Sallee 26/Pettey 13) ... the quarter breaks :

Warren ... 13 ... 20 ... 44 ... 76
Wash CH . 16 ... 39 ... 58 ... 86

... at the 2:58 mark of the 3rd Warren trailed 33-54 , down 21 ... by 1:02 in the 4th period they had battled back to being down 71-77 with the ball in their hands ... the final margin was the result of 13/20 FT shooting by CH in the 4th... Colter/Wall going 11/13 down the stretch ... very little varsity experience, pg by committee , no quit/lots of energy - better get the Warriors early as the youngin's have started to get their feet wet - Trent Taylor 6-5 added 10 points in that 2nd half blitz ... Coach Maddox, youngin's, teaching/coaching the game for 32 minutes - I was smiling listening to Coach coach/teach ...

Pfloyd's official "UNofficial" Napkin Stats - Washington CH

Scoring ... Reico Colter 40, Tanner LeMaster 18, John Wall 11, Isaiah Haithcock 6, Raleigh Haithcock 5, Karson Runk 3, Noah HIcks 2, Brayden May 1
3 Pointers ... 8/22 ... Reico Colter 4, John Wall 2, Raleigh Haithcock 1, Karson Runk 1
FTs ... 18/28
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 19 fgs/38 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition
Pbk ... 4 fgs/ 8 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Warren

Scoring ... Brayden Sallee 27, Dennis Pettey 23, Trent Taylor 16, Julian Stadelman 4, Ayden Cornell 3, Hunter Hanes 2, Trent Dowler 1
3 Pointers ... 5/19 ... Brayden Sallee 2, Dennis Pettey 1, Ayden Cornell 1, Trent Taylor 1
FTs ....... 17/27
TOs ... 15
PnP ... 20 fgs/ 40 points in the paint
PnT ... 5 fgs/ 10 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

... Logan vs Columbus Whetstone [media]https://www.loganhockingtimes.com/artic ... on-opener/[/media]... interesting game as neither team looked good - it looked like a first game of the season - as it was ... Logan had only 4 players score the ball with 22 points each coming from seniors Mason Frasure and Tegan Myers. Other than that nothing special as Logan is looking to get their 3rd scorer back from injury - Ashton Mahaffey ... Logan is a guard loaded lineup/offense - if a guard isn't shooting the perimeter shot, they are creating one on one to get to the rim - very little goes through the post ... The Chiefs get a chance to see their first SEO opponent as Unioto comes to Jim's Gym in Logan next Friday night ... a battle of preseason top 8 teams ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Whetstone

Scoring ... Shiaman Diawara 14, Micha McGonable 11, Jaqulen Cook 3, Mason Addy 3, Pat Knostman 3, Jasper Tidd 2, Noah Knostman 2
3 Pointers ... 6/22 ... Micha McGonagle 3, Shiaman Diawara 1, Pat Knostman 1, Jasiri Gibson 1
FTs ... 2/10
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 8 fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Logan

Scoring ... Mason Frasure 22, Tegan Myers 22, Cayden Alford 6, Max Black 2
3 Pointers ... 4/15 ... Tegan Myers 4
FTs ... 18/23
TOs ... 9
PnP ... 11 fgs/22 points in the paint
PnT ... 2fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 1 fg/ 2 points off of offensive boards

... other scores of note from the week that was :

Fairland 54
Fairfield Leesburg 46

... Aiden Porter the sharpshooting sg for the Dragons was held to 9 points but Will Davis picked up the slack with 18 points for FHS along with 16 from JD Thacker & 9 more from Ethan Taylor ... a good start for Coach Speed as he adjusts to the 2021-22 edition of the Dragons ...

Miami Trace starts out 0-2 on the week ... a 50-56 loss at Unioto with a good showing from the 4 sophs that Coach Ackley has in his rotation ... MT lost to Lancaster 43-58 at the ZT Classic ... the sophomores played as sophomores do in the opening weeks of their first taste of varsity ball - inconsistently ... the one consistent piece for MT was 6-8 Andrew Guthrie as he had 17 points vs Unioto and followed it up with 22 points vs Lancaster, the big junior is the real deal - big, strong, great footwork, excellent touch in the paint, battles under the boards ... don't let the 0-2 start fool you, Miami Trace will be a solid team this season imo.

Gallia Academy 60-49 winner over Meigs ... a good start for the Blue Devils vs a good Marauder ball club ... [media]https://www.mydailytribune.com/sports/6 ... eigs-60-49[/media]

Vinton County losing to Circleville was a surprise - a great start for the Tigers (1-0) (I incorrectly reported that Circleville lost to BC - that was the girls score/ Coach Carpenter's squad takes on BC THIS weekend) ...

South Webster with a big win over Portsmouth Notre Dame 68-45 ... lots of talk of my Jeeps Elite 8 ranking in the top 8 as being waaaaay too high ... ND was projected to be "good and very good" going deep into the D4 post season - they still may! but SW gets kudos for the good opening W over the Titans ...

Portsmouth 2-0 to start the season ... putting up 80+ points in both games ... 87-66 vs Ripley [media]https://www.portsmouth-dailytimes.com/s ... e-pointers[/media] and 80-40 vs Hillsboro Christian Academy... lots of pressure defense for the Trojans, add in scoring from Burg transfer Kenny Sanderlin (21 vs Hillsboro Christian Academy) and Dariyonne Bryant with 20 ... good start! looks like a scrimmage on Tuesday at Waverly, with the PHS next regular season games 12/7 vs South Point and @ Chesapeake 12/10 ...

Fairfield Union 1-0 picked up a W vs Chillicothe 59-30 ... FU with a new coach this season ... Chillicothe 0-1

Teams who I'm watching to move up quickly in the first rankings next weekend:

Alexander (1-0) 76-58 win over Belpre
New Boston (1-0) 62-31 win over West Union on the road
Valley (1-0) 65-47 win over Adena
Whiteoak (1-0) 68-44 over Felicity host New Boston Tuesday night ... Ashbaugh for Whiteoak 8 treys/33 pts vs Felicity while Grady Jackson had 32 points/ 6 for 6 from downtown for the Tigers

... should be a fun Week that IS!
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: The Week that Was (11/24 - 11/27) ...

Post by Ironman92 »

Why was Portsmouth playing Hillsboro Christian Academy? Anyone know? That’s a crazy matchup.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

How tall is Colter?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:00 pm How tall is Colter?
... he's listed 5-9

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:09 pm
... he's listed 5-9
Humpty Hitchens? Trey Robertson?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:15 pm
... he's listed 5-9
... the build of Trey Robertson - THAT would be a great matchup ! ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:30 pm

... he's listed 5-9
... the build of Trey Robertson - THAT would be a great matchup ! ...
Reading your description reminded me of Humpty…who, IMO is the quickest player I’ve watched in the SE district

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

... he's listed 5-9
I thought I read that Trey was 6’0

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

My Cavs looked bad. Bad start but they’ll get better

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Thanks for the recap of all the games Pfloyd, always enjoy reading the summaries of games across SEO and your input. Tough loss for the warriors, going to be searching for some scorers/ball handlers early in the season. I'm pretty surprised coach Maddox played Julian game one of the season let alone on Coulter, hopefully a good learning experience for him and the rest of the team and at least give them something to build around. Next up for Warren is a tough Dover team at the coliseum Friday.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:16 pm Thanks for the recap of all the games Pfloyd, always enjoy reading the summaries of games across SEO and your input. Tough loss for the warriors, going to be searching for some scorers/ball handlers early in the season. I'm pretty surprised coach Maddox played Julian game one of the season let alone on Coulter, hopefully a good learning experience for him and the rest of the team and at least give them something to build around. Next up for Warren is a tough Dover team at the coliseum Friday.
I don't think Coach Maddox had much choice - as Hanes went down with a bad ankle/lower leg injury ...

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:22 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:16 pm Thanks for the recap of all the games Pfloyd, always enjoy reading the summaries of games across SEO and your input. Tough loss for the warriors, going to be searching for some scorers/ball handlers early in the season. I'm pretty surprised coach Maddox played Julian game one of the season let alone on Coulter, hopefully a good learning experience for him and the rest of the team and at least give them something to build around. Next up for Warren is a tough Dover team at the coliseum Friday.
I don't think Coach Maddox had much choice - as Hanes went down with a bad ankle/lower leg injury ...
Wasn't aware of that, might have to step up sooner than expected.....wondering when Davis will be back
Last edited by Whs95fan on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go Blue
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:00 pm Why was Portsmouth playing Hillsboro Christian Academy? Anyone know? That’s a crazy matchup.
I’m unsure why myself. It wasn’t a good matchup, it was a blow out as it was always going to be. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find another team to be in the Wendy’s classic, or whatever they call it nowadays. Game like that certainly won’t help them come tourney time.

Who Dey!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:00 pm Why was Portsmouth playing Hillsboro Christian Academy? Anyone know? That’s a crazy matchup.
I’m unsure why myself. It wasn’t a good matchup, it was a blow out as it was always going to be. I find it hard to believe they couldn’t find another team to be in the Wendy’s classic, or whatever they call it nowadays. Game like that certainly won’t help them come tourney time.
Literally any other team in the SE district would’ve made more sense. Maybe they didn’t know their level and Christian Academy probably willing to play about anyone and maybe has trouble getting games.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I apologize to the Tigers of Circleville - Drew Moats, Matt Bradley, Briley Cramer, Trevor Coleman, Winston Jones, Parker Kidwell, Ian Warden, Craig Fleck, Preston Hulse, Slater Search, Avery Ferrell, Nolan West, JD Reuter & Coach Carpenter and his staff ! I made a mistake and reported they had lost to Bloom Carroll on Saturday 22-59 ... they HAVEN'T played yet ! it was the CHS girls squad on the losing end of that score ... it has been retracted / best of luck to Coach Carpenter & the Tigers as they take on BC THIS week on the boys side ... thanks Coach Carpenter for letting me know ! again my apologies to the Tiger players on the mistake in reporting that score. - pfloyd
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:32 pm
PTrojan59 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:06 pm
Literally any other team in the SE district would’ve made more sense. Maybe they didn’t know their level and Christian Academy probably willing to play about anyone and maybe has trouble getting games.
Bishop Sycamore has a date available

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ed Ott wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:06 pm My Cavs looked bad. Bad start but they’ll get better
Ed Ott, Coach Beard will have the Cavs improving every game out ... losses are good teaching tools/Coach Beard is a teacher of the game - one of the best ... it will be a tough start to the season but Coach Beard will get the players back out at Chillicothe - of that I'm certain ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:05 am I apologize to the Tigers of Circleville - Drew Moats, Matt Bradley, Briley Cramer, Trevor Coleman, Winston Jones, Parker Kidwell, Ian Warden, Craig Fleck, Preston Hulse, Slater Search, Avery Ferrell, Nolan West, JD Reuter & Coach Carpenter and his staff ! I made a mistake and reported they had lost to Bloom Carroll on Saturday 22-59 ... they HAVEN'T played yet ! it was the CHS girls squad on the losing end of that score ... it has been retracted / best of luck to Coach Carpenter & the Tigers as they take on BC THIS week on the boys side ... thanks Coach Carpenter for letting me know ! again my apologies to the Tiger players on the mistake in reporting that score. - pfloyd
It’s hard to keep track of it all….glad people are reading. I do wish more readers would post regularly and not just when there is an error.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:12 am
pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:05 am I apologize to the Tigers of Circleville - Drew Moats, Matt Bradley, Briley Cramer, Trevor Coleman, Winston Jones, Parker Kidwell, Ian Warden, Craig Fleck, Preston Hulse, Slater Search, Avery Ferrell, Nolan West, JD Reuter & Coach Carpenter and his staff ! I made a mistake and reported they had lost to Bloom Carroll on Saturday 22-59 ... they HAVEN'T played yet ! it was the CHS girls squad on the losing end of that score ... it has been retracted / best of luck to Coach Carpenter & the Tigers as they take on BC THIS week on the boys side ... thanks Coach Carpenter for letting me know ! again my apologies to the Tiger players on the mistake in reporting that score. - pfloyd
It’s hard to keep track of it all….glad people are reading. I do wish more readers would post regularly and not just when there is an error.
I92, sometimes I feel like "I" post "too much" - others might post MORE if I didn't post as much as I/WE do ... but I enjoy finding/passing along information not just for myself but those who read SEOPs Boys Basketball ... a Catch22 I suppose damned if you do, damned if you don't (a few cliches' thrown in LOL)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:17 am
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:12 am
I92, sometimes I feel like "I" post "too much" - others might post MORE if I didn't post as much as I/WE do ... but I enjoy finding/passing along information not just for myself but those who read SEOPs Boys Basketball ... a Catch22 I suppose damned if you do, damned if you don't (a few cliches' thrown in LOL)
If the 6 of us that post stop…..15 years in people aren’t going to post more. Every school has people that read this site that are pretty in the know or at least infinitely more than say me or you. Good to see FACSPORTS now posting and will be great info within at least FAC topics and likely more. Be nice to have a few more of those posters pop up from different areas of the district.

Return to “Boys Basketball”