Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Week #1

FACSPORTS
JV Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Week #1

Post by FACSPORTS »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:23 pm Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #1

1. Waverly (0-0)
2. Greenfield McClain (2-0)
3. Washington CH (2-0)
4. Trimble (1-0)
5. Unioto (2-1)
6. Logan (1-1)
7. Gallia Academy (2-0)
8. South Webster (2-0)

...TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Fairland (2-0)
Eastern Brown (2-1)
Portsmouth (2-0)
Hillsboro (1-1)
Zane Trace (0-2)
Sheridan (2-0)
Lucasville Valley (3-0)
Minford (2-0)
Miami Trace (0-3)
Ironton (0-0)
Jackson (0-0)
Portsmouth West (1-0)
Western Pike (5-0)
Whiteoak (3-1)
Warren (0-2)
Fairfield Union (3-0)
Wheelersburg (0-0)
South Point (2-0)
Portsmouth Notre Dame (1-2)
Logan Elm (1-1)
Coal Grove (1-2)
Fairfield Leesburg (0-2)
Meigs (1-2)
Chesapeake (1-0)
Vinton County (0-2)
Paint Valley (1-2)
Piketon (1-2)
Alexander (2-1)
Marietta (2-2)
North Adams (2-1)
Peebles (0-1)
Symmes Valley (2-0)
New Lexington (2-1)
Wellston (1-2)
Huntington (2-2)
Northwest (2-2)
Federal Hocking (1-1)
Rock Hill (2-0)
Green (0-4)
Circleville (2-1)
Lynchburg Clay (1-2)
Waterford (2-0)
Adena (0-3)
Ironton St. Joseph (0-2)
Belpre (0-2)
Athens (0-3)
Chillicothe (0-2)
Westfall (0-1)
Nelsonville York (2-0)
South Gallia (2-0)
New Boston (2-2)
Eastern Pike (1-2)
Southeastern (1-3)
Southern (3-1)
River Valley (1-2)
Oak Hill (1-1)
Manchester (1-1)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Eastern Reedsville (0-3)
West Union (0-2)
Portsmouth Clay (0-5)
Miller (0-3) with the 48-58 loss to FCA Saturday night
Portsmouth East (1-1)
Crooksville (0-2)

... please check the records - I didn't have score for South Point vs Greenup Co. KY from last night or Miller vs FCA also from last night ... I made a few major adjustments based on eyes on a few teams - Washington CH for example - the addition of Trotwood Madison guard Reico Colter along with the athletes that have returned to playing hoops makes them a top 8 team ... hence the giant jump into the Elite 8 (I've seen them play both games vs Warren & Unioto) - Reico, LeMaster in the paint, role players who can score the ball in John Wall, Haithcock x 2 (Raleigh/Isaiah) - WCH is legit ... there are other movers as well - Western Pike/Eastern Brown etc. trying to get the adjustments based on the transfers/player not playing/players returning - all of which prior to the Preseason Rankings we didn't know about ...

... some great games in the next two weeks which will tell us more about who should be up and who should continue to slide ...

Tuesday 12/7
South Webster vs Wheelersburg
Portsmouth vs South Point
Washington CH vs McClain

Friday 12/10
Chesapeake vs Portsmouth
Minford vs Waverly
South Webster vs Valley
Unioto vs Zane Trace
Washington CH vs Hillsboro

Saturday 12/11
Portsmouth vs Whiteoak

Tuesday 12/14
Fairland vs Portsmouth
Oak Hill vs Portsmouth West
Waverly vs South Webster

Friday 12/17
Gallia vs Fairland
New Boston vs Notre Dame
Minford vs South Webster
Warren vs Logan

... those obviously aren't all of the good games but a few that will have a major impact on the rankings in the next 2 weeks ... let the beatings begin !!!

5 of the 6 FAC teams in the top 20, thats AWESOME! FAC has a HUGE 2 vs 3 matchup tomorrow night @ WCH. Get your popcorn ready! I'm assuming there's still some bad blood after the drama surrounding their football game this fall. Should be a fun game to watch, WCH vs Greenfield basketball is always physical, always intense, and its even better when both teams are GOOD!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

A couple games that stuck out to me over the weekend....

New Boston losing by 30 to South Gallia. 30! That's a lot. South Gallia will be OK this year but probably around a .500 team... bad loss for New Boston especially taking into the account the margin of victory.

Eastern Pike beating North Adams by double digits..... Eastern Pike will most likely be the last place team in the SOC 2, or at least a bottom 2-3 team. North Adams I thought was supposed to be fairly solid this year. That score really surprises me. GREAT win for Eastern Pike and the SOC 2, bad loss for North Adams.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 am A couple games that stuck out to me over the weekend....

New Boston losing by 30 to South Gallia. 30! That's a lot. South Gallia will be OK this year but probably around a .500 team... bad loss for New Boston especially taking into the account the margin of victory.

Eastern Pike beating North Adams by double digits..... Eastern Pike will most likely be the last place team in the SOC 2, or at least a bottom 2-3 team. North Adams I thought was supposed to be fairly solid this year. That score really surprises me. GREAT win for Eastern Pike and the SOC 2, bad loss for North Adams.
Did NA have anyone out? This just blows my mind. Eastern Pike might have shot 40+ threes versus Piketon and most were step backs or from the volleyball line.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

AnkleBraces wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:00 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:32 pm
AnkleBraces wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm

Yes. I watched summer league games with PV and McClain at Western Pike. Western pressed them both the entire games. PV didn’t even score 30 and McClain was under 40 I think.

Probably could beat ZT also but that’s not my point.

Miller matches up well with Ream and Chase Carter would make it very tough for their bigs. Reed Brewster has 1 turnover in 5 games at the PG.

Most teams don’t want to get guarded 90 feet for 32 minutes. So unless you have a PG like Robertson at Waverly or Copas at North Adams you’re in for a dogfight with the Indians.
I’ve watched a team lose in a summer league game by 40 and then in season beat that same team by 30.

I have a hard time believing a D4 team can press the whole game against a guard loaded, experience coached D2 team…not saying they can’t or Western can’t beat a good D2 team….just would be surprised to see what you watched in a summer league game happen in season.

Western is off to quite the start….eyes are on them and basketball is back at Latham.
I’ll also take D1 Dougie over Kellough. One of the easiest coaches I’ve ever scouted in my 15 years. It wasn’t just summer league though. Stewart played to win. They just aren’t that good. D2 is down Waverly/WCH are tough. D3 is down. D4 is up 5-6 good teams for the district. Trimble Valley ND Webster Western Whiteoak PV?
Having both last week, I would take McClain over Western by 8-10. The Tigers are deep. Western is very good as well. But they do not have the depth of the Tigers and I think would lose in a close game late.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:16 am A couple games that stuck out to me over the weekend....

I'll add Minford beating SE by 30 a night after SE beats Vinton. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point 54 Greenup 38

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson must’ve shot 30 shots vs Whiteoak…..if SG and a coach Elliot put the clamps on him and others weren’t comfortable being the man 🤷🏻‍♂️

The EP big margin win is crazy to me too.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:46 pm

Jackson must’ve shot 30 shots vs Whiteoak…..if SG and a coach Elliot put the clamps on him and others weren’t comfortable being the man 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sounds like you're right on putting the clamps on Jackson - he had 13 points only 1 three pointer/ 4 fgs total ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Sounds like you're right on putting the clamps on Jackson - he had 13 points only 1 three pointer/ 4 fgs total ...
I mean I only watched the 1 New Boston games and Jackson was taking almost every shot, most shots were good shot but I thought other players looked good shooting when they got the chance but as game went he was just the extreme main choice on their offense. He was very comfortable in what he was doing and his teammates seemed on board with that plan/offense…..so I do wonder what Coach Elliot employed defensively…..or maybe NB changed their plan a bit and wanted him shooting less and other to be a bigger part and it didn’t work great….or maybe he shot 4/28 from the field (doubt it, he’s capable on the tough shots)

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:26 pm

I mean I only watched the 1 New Boston games and Jackson was taking almost every shot, most shots were good shot but I thought other players looked good shooting when they got the chance but as game went he was just the extreme main choice on their offense. He was very comfortable in what he was doing and his teammates seemed on board with that plan/offense…..so I do wonder what Coach Elliot employed defensively…..or maybe NB changed their plan a bit and wanted him shooting less and other to be a bigger part and it didn’t work great….or maybe he shot 4/28 from the field (doubt it, he’s capable on the tough shots)
I heard there was some late game shenanigans involved between NB + South Gallia. Perhaps a South Gallia fan can chime in if they were there. Something about fans getting thrown out? Teams finishing the last few seconds of the game with no fans? Who knows if it's true, just seems to be the rumor going around town.

Sggrad06
Varsity

Post by Sggrad06 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:19 am

I heard there was some late game shenanigans involved between NB + South Gallia. Perhaps a South Gallia fan can chime in if they were there. Something about fans getting thrown out? Teams finishing the last few seconds of the game with no fans? Who knows if it's true, just seems to be the rumor going around town.
There was a small group of parents that were being ignorant towards new Boston’s coach. Coach yelled back, then the Sheriff cleared that section of parents. Some parents just never grow up!!!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Sggrad06 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:04 pm

There was a small group of parents that were being ignorant towards new Boston’s coach. Coach yelled back, then the Sheriff cleared that section of parents. Some parents just never grow up!!!
Thanks for providing clarity. Unfortunately those types of parents are everywhere my friend. Good luck to your Rebels tonight! Oak Hill is better than last year, should be a very good measuring stick for both teams.

bhicks42
Freshman Team

Post by bhicks42 »

I’m not from either school but it sounds like the New Boston coach is getting a little bit of what he has coming to him. Beating teams by 50 & 60 and playing starters just so you can score 100. When you’re up big and a starter gets a steal with seconds to go and he yells for him to go get a basket. I don’t wish anything bad for his players but I hope he loses every game this bad.
Nice job South Galia!!

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

Notice not one OVC team in your top 8.. wow, well we will see at the end of the year who's playing for regional championship and I just bet there will be an OVC team in it.

Wellstonalum
Waterboy

Post by Wellstonalum »

Just saw south point score told you all they were on another level. Top 10 for sure and pretty sure there young

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Western Indians win to improve to 6-0. Looked like they are trying to build some depth.

Interesting napkin stat

Halftime scoring +101

22-15 SE
32-13 Piketon
38-20 Huntington
38-20 Green
33-14 PV
26-6 Ironton St Joe

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:38 am Western Indians win to improve to 6-0. Looked like they are trying to build some depth.

Interesting napkin stat

Halftime scoring +101

22-15 SE
32-13 Piketon
38-20 Huntington
38-20 Green
33-14 PV
26-6 Ironton St Joe
... the committee of one - me - I'm watching Western Pike closely for sure ... as I have to watch Notre Dame, Piketon, Symmes Valley, etc. looks like the biggest challenge on the schedule might be Ripley at the Coach Young Tournament (North Adams) ... I just have to keep watching Western's competition to get a good feel for this team ... the better the ND's, SV's, PV's, NB's, Greens do the better Western looks on paper - when they play Clay twice/East twice... hard to move up without these other teams putting up big W's to make the Western wins look better and better ... and Western IS good - I've watched a couple of their livestream games - and hope to catch them in-person ... not sure the schedule will allow them to move into the top 15 - we'll see !!!

Ballfan20
Waterboy

Post by Ballfan20 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:43 pm
AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:38 am Western Indians win to improve to 6-0. Looked like they are trying to build some depth.

Interesting napkin stat

Halftime scoring +101

22-15 SE
32-13 Piketon
38-20 Huntington
38-20 Green
33-14 PV
26-6 Ironton St Joe
... the committee of one - me - I'm watching Western Pike closely for sure ... as I have to watch Notre Dame, Piketon, Symmes Valley, etc. looks like the biggest challenge on the schedule might be Ripley at the Coach Young Tournament (North Adams) ... I just have to keep watching Western's competition to get a good feel for this team ... the better the ND's, SV's, PV's, NB's, Greens do the better Western looks on paper - when they play Clay twice/East twice... hard to move up without these other teams putting up big W's to make the Western wins look better and better ... and Western IS good - I've watched a couple of their livestream games - and hope to catch them in-person ... not sure the schedule will allow them to move into the top 15 - we'll see !!!
I agree completely with what you’re saying. Western is good, but the toughest team they’ve played so far is PV. I’m excited to see them matched up against ND. They didn’t have their best game against St. Joe last night.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:43 pm

Interesting napkin stat

Halftime scoring +101

22-15 SE
32-13 Piketon
38-20 Huntington
38-20 Green
33-14 PV
26-6 Ironton St Joe
Agreed

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

bhicks42 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:39 pm

I’m not from either school but it sounds like the New Boston coach is getting a little bit of what he has coming to him. Beating teams by 50 & 60 and playing starters just so you can score 100. When you’re up big and a starter gets a steal with seconds to go and he yells for him to go get a basket. I don’t wish anything bad for his players but I hope he loses every game this bad.
Nice job South Galia!!
Just a few short years ago, The Tigers were on the receiving end of those blowouts and having 100 points scored on them. There was a three year span where they were approximately 0-21, 0-21 and 3-18.

Return to “Boys Basketball”