SE

Re: Pointers

Post by transplant »

They went back to being a football school

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

I was surprised by the score last night. I been told Portsmouth is loaded in basketball and started out 2-0. I wasn’t there so not sure what happened or what south point brought back from last year.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

SP was better than advertised, Trojans I think were overrated by many coming into the season. I don’t keep up with basketball a ton. I stated in another thread the Trojans have a problem not having a ball handler. They need someone to facilitate. Lattimore is a fine player, but he’s not the PG this team needs. Roe and Johnson being out hurts, a lot. I watched the game online, Trojans were in it after a ton of turnover and forced shots. SP won by 6, but I don’t think either team are all that great. SP has played a tougher schedule to date than the Trojans, and I think that showed as well. Overall I’d say the Trojans are the more talented team, but they have a lot of work to do.

Who Dey!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Roe and Johnson be back soon?

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:23 pm Roe and Johnson be back soon?
I’m not really in the know with the program. But from what I have heard Drew Roe will not be playing basketball this year. ACL injury week 10 at Ironton. Played 1.5 games on it, I assume it’s torn. Amare Johnson I’m not even sure of the injury. I heard someone say after the new year. @biggdowgg or @trojandave would know more than I would. I just know they both are being missed by this squad a lot.

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: You are correct about Drew Roe.......he won't be back this year but maybe for baseball. Amare Johnson's injury I believe is a meniscus and if he comes back, it will be a while.

I agree with you about the PG situation. I think it's still a feeling out process given it's very early in the season. Lattimore is ultra-athletic, and his greatest asset to the team right now is his defense. With him and Daryionne Bryant out front, it presents some real problems when the Trojans press. South Point made 22 turnovers, so Portsmouth's defense was disruptive for sure. SP is a good team, but as far as the OVC goes, until someone can unseat Fairland from the top, it's their title to keep. Both SP and Portsmouth could give the Dragons a run, but PHS does need to figure out the best fit at PG.

I didn't really make a forecast for the Trojans this year, so any hype didn't come from me.......I did post the roster on SEOPS earlier, but I left it at that. I feel right now that PHS can have a winning season after watching the team in all 3 games. There is talent that Coach Collins can put on the floor, but the rotation is still unsettled. The PG situation might be better with Pendleton or Sanderlin, but Lattimore is invaluable to the defensive rotations. He has to be on the floor for Portsmouth to put its best defensive team on the court.

Portsmouth is fun to watch for sure, averaging 76 PPG on offense, giving up 58 PPG. Look for the uptempo style to continue.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

When will the Fightin Wiseman 5 get some love!!!!!!
We are!!!!!! The Fightin Wiseman 5!!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

South point has a very good team and is well coached , no reason to think they won't make a run for the ovc title , portsmouth will be ok when they get things going like posted above finding the right fit for pg is a work in progress right now after losing roe and Johnson but there is a couple others that will do well there.

I dont see anyone in the league going unbeaten ,but I've been wrong before

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Be interesting to see the results of Fairland and South point tonight

Return to “Boys Basketball”