D4 Scores and Updates 2022

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Re: SEO D4 Rankings

Post by Sportsfan98 »

How I see it as of today, based off of strength of schedule along with quality wins.

1.) Trimble
2.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Fed hock
5.)Symmes Valley
6.) Western
7.)Fairfield
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint valley
10.) Whiteoak/ND

1-3 is pretty obvious for me. Trimble now the clear cut 1 seed with the only remaining undefeated record. I initially would have went with a 1 loss valley team based off of strength of schedule. Now with 2 L's I have to give the edge to trimble. Webster comes in at 3 just simply because of the schedule they play. They have a win over a tough minford team who could arguably be the 1 seed in D3 as of today, also beat burg whom is never an easy out. 4-8 is where it gets really tough for me. Fed hock has beaten athens, alexander, and waterford which is all quality wins to me and this is why they hold the 4 spot currently. 2 of their losses coming to D3 powerhouse fairland and another one to our number 1 seed trimble. Symmes valley coming in at the 5 seed simply because they are (10-2) at the moment with the head to head win over western along with what I consider a quality win over portsmouth west at pwest. 2 losses coming to Valley and Notre Dame. I do believe western will beat symmes at western, but until then symmes has to be ahead. Western being the 6 is tough with a 14-2 record, but where are the quality wins? In my opinion western is a good team, but they do not have any quality wins and their strength of schedule is bad. They do have a bad loss to New Boston. While I understand the loss came at a time when western was playing a lot of games in a short amount of time at the end of the day it is still a loss. Fairfield coming in at 7 where as I honestly think they could be as high as the 4 seed. I honestly just have not seen them play in person and cannot put them any higher until I do. Waterford at 8 with the potential to climb with remaining games against trimble and fed hock. Rounding out the bottom is Paint valley, whiteoak and ND. I really do think 4-8 could be exchanged in anyway. This is just the way I see it

This is my first time posting on this site, as I have been following and reading through the forums the last few years. I finally decided to break silence and have some fun. lol. I know this is all opinion based. I have seen most of these teams play and have shared how I think it stands today based off of schedules and nice wins. Let me know what you think!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sportsfan98 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 pm How I see it as of today, based off of strength of schedule along with quality wins.

1.) Trimble
2.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Fed hock
5.)Symmes Valley
6.) Western
7.)Fairfield
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint valley
10.) Whiteoak/ND

1-3 is pretty obvious for me. Trimble now the clear cut 1 seed with the only remaining undefeated record. I initially would have went with a 1 loss valley team based off of strength of schedule. Now with 2 L's I have to give the edge to trimble. Webster comes in at 3 just simply because of the schedule they play. They have a win over a tough minford team who could arguably be the 1 seed in D3 as of today, also beat burg whom is never an easy out. 4-8 is where it gets really tough for me. Fed hock has beaten athens, alexander, and waterford which is all quality wins to me and this is why they hold the 4 spot currently. 2 of their losses coming to D3 powerhouse fairland and another one to our number 1 seed trimble. Symmes valley coming in at the 5 seed simply because they are (10-2) at the moment with the head to head win over western along with what I consider a quality win over portsmouth west at pwest. 2 losses coming to Valley and Notre Dame. I do believe western will beat symmes at western, but until then symmes has to be ahead. Western being the 6 is tough with a 14-2 record, but where are the quality wins? In my opinion western is a good team, but they do not have any quality wins and their strength of schedule is bad. They do have a bad loss to New Boston. While I understand the loss came at a time when western was playing a lot of games in a short amount of time at the end of the day it is still a loss. Fairfield coming in at 7 where as I honestly think they could be as high as the 4 seed. I honestly just have not seen them play in person and cannot put them any higher until I do. Waterford at 8 with the potential to climb with remaining games against trimble and fed hock. Rounding out the bottom is Paint valley, whiteoak and ND. I really do think 4-8 could be exchanged in anyway. This is just the way I see it

This is my first time posting on this site, as I have been following and reading through the forums the last few years. I finally decided to break silence and have some fun. lol. I know this is all opinion based. I have seen most of these teams play and have shared how I think it stands today based off of schedules and nice wins. Let me know what you think!
Welcome

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

How would Trimble do against Waverly? Minford? I don’t know anything about them as far as what type of team they have. Obviously I see they are undefeated. But just wondered how everyone thought they would do against some other teams.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

transplant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:03 am How would Trimble do against Waverly? Minford? I don’t know anything about them as far as what type of team they have. Obviously I see they are undefeated. But just wondered how everyone thought they would do against some other teams.
Because they are so well coached and play an ultra fundamentally sound game of basketball, they would compete very well.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Thanks. I figured they would. Just didn’t know how well. Trying to see how close valley and Webster are to them.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

transplant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 am Thanks. I figured they would. Just didn’t know how well. Trying to see how close valley and Webster are to them.
Be great games. Worth the price of admission for sure.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree. Will be exciting.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

transplant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:37 am Thanks. I figured they would. Just didn’t know how well. Trying to see how close valley and Webster are to them.
Trimble has great athletes who are physical and Howie always has them in the right positions. They play HARD. I give them the slight edge over Valley mainly because of the coaching advantage (that's not a knock on Valley's coach, Howie has just been in the game for decades).

The one thing Howie has always been great at is the 'chess game' of coaching. It's very difficult to press Howie's teams because they're so disciplined. Pressing is something Valley relies on so if they ever meet down the road that could potentially hurt Valley.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Good points. Will def be a good match up
If they meet up.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

transplant wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:58 am Good points. Will def be a good match up
If they meet up.
If the seeding ends up like we expect it to.... and both teams win the district... the earliest they could meet is regional semifinals. That would be fun to watch and especially knowing at least one SEO team would make it to the Elite 8.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Absolutely. That is great. Love to see southern Ohio teams do well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:29 am
Trimble has great athletes who are physical and Howie always has them in the right positions. They play HARD. I give them the slight edge over Valley mainly because of the coaching advantage (that's not a knock on Valley's coach, Howie has just been in the game for decades).

The one thing Howie has always been great at is the 'chess game' of coaching. It's very difficult to press Howie's teams because they're so disciplined. Pressing is something Valley relies on so if they ever meet down the road that could potentially hurt Valley.
I love Howie, but to say he has a coaching advantage over Norm Persian is inaccurate. He too has been in the game for decades with a state championship to boot (Oak Hill).

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am

I love Howie, but to say he has a coaching advantage over Norm Persian is inaccurate. He too has been in the game for decades with a state championship to boot (Oak Hill).
Norm Persin is not the coach at Valley. He retired after last season.

The coach is Craig Tackett and this is his first year as a head coach.

So, yes, I stand by my statement :D

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Where did Tackett come from? He seems to be doing a great job… except the L he’s gonna take from the Jeeps tonight

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:03 am
93Bulldog wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:56 am

Norm Persin is not the coach at Valley. He retired after last season.

The coach is Craig Tackett and this is his first year as a head coach.

So, yes, I stand by my statement :D
Wow, shows how much I pay attention. lol
I thought he was still the coach.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:33 am Where did Tackett come from? He seems to be doing a great job… except the L he’s gonna take from the Jeeps tonight
Played at greenup county I believe. Was jv coach for a few years with valley prior to varsity team.

Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

Sportsfan98 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:41 pm How I see it as of today, based off of strength of schedule along with quality wins.

1.) Trimble
2.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Fed hock
5.)Symmes Valley
6.) Western
7.)Fairfield
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint valley
10.) Whiteoak/ND

My only reaction to this would be, while western did have the slip up to NB, every other win has been by double digits most by 15 or more. They arent playing close games against this so called poor competition. Notre Dame at Notre Dame is Western's only win by less than 13 points. It is no secret that yes Westerns schedule is not up there with Valley or Webster's but if you look at their points for vs their points against this season has to be a 20 point margin. Looking forward to seeing how the tournament seeding plays out, but I don't see how if Western wins their next three and goes into the draw 17-2 that they arent the 3 seed.

JustAnObserver
Waterboy

Post by JustAnObserver »

Western24 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:37 pm

1.) Trimble
2.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Fed hock
5.)Symmes Valley
6.) Western
7.)Fairfield
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint valley
10.) Whiteoak/ND

My only reaction to this would be, while western did have the slip up to NB, every other win has been by double digits most by 15 or more. They arent playing close games against this so called poor competition. Notre Dame at Notre Dame is Western's only win by less than 13 points. It is no secret that yes Westerns schedule is not up there with Valley or Webster's but if you look at their points for vs their points against this season has to be a 20 point margin. Looking forward to seeing how the tournament seeding plays out, but I don't see how if Western wins their next three and goes into the draw 17-2 that they arent the 3 seed.
Let me add, and I know some will disagree, but the SOC 2 is not the monster everyone thought or thinks. It’s just not. I seen Valley play more than once, SW more than once, I’ve seen Minford, Waverly, NW multiple times, West, Eastern, Wheelersburg… and I’m sorry but Valley and SW doesn’t get extra credit for beating some of those teams just because they’re in a bigger division than the SOC I. I get it, the middle and bottom of the SOC I is bad, I know. But think about it…Valley lost to Waverly and Minford (no shame in that) but I believe there is a really good chance that the only teams Western would have lost to, if Western played the same SOC 2 schedule to this point, would probably be Waverly and Minford.
Again, if you’ve seen western play (don’t go on size or supposed strength of schedule) who do you think would win between Western and…Wheelersburg, NW, Oak Hill, West, Eastern (they play them soon), SW?
Hmmm…seems like Western might have the exact same record right now in the SOC 2 as Valley does.

My only point is this. I’m not campaigning for Western to get a higher seed unless Valley loses more game (And Western takes care of their own business) I’m just pointing out everyone that keeps hammering strength of schedule might want to at least look a little deeper and not assume the usual.
Western beat Peebles at Peebles by 25, beat a 10-4 Ripley team by 36, went 4-0 against the SVC to open the season.

Just some thoughts to stew on. No ill will or anger. Lol.

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan98 »

1.) Trimble
2.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Fed hock
5.)Symmes Valley
6.) Western
7.)Fairfield
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint valley
10.) Whiteoak/ND

Whole point margins are likely not going to matter in which way coaches vote when it comes time to vote, I 100% agree with you that If western is 17-2 it would be very hard to argue against a 3 seed. Where do you have symmes valley in this conversation as they currently are 10-2 and handed western one of their 2 losses?

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan98 »

JustAnObserver wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:47 pm

1.) Trimble
2.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Fed hock
5.)Symmes Valley
6.) Western
7.)Fairfield
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint valley
10.) Whiteoak/ND

Let me add, and I know some will disagree, but the SOC 2 is not the monster everyone thought or thinks. It’s just not. I seen Valley play more than once, SW more than once, I’ve seen Minford, Waverly, NW multiple times, West, Eastern, Wheelersburg… and I’m sorry but Valley and SW doesn’t get extra credit for beating some of those teams just because they’re in a bigger division than the SOC I. I get it, the middle and bottom of the SOC I is bad, I know. But think about it…Valley lost to Waverly and Minford (no shame in that) but I believe there is a really good chance that the only teams Western would have lost to, if Western played the same SOC 2 schedule to this point, would probably be Waverly and Minford.
Again, if you’ve seen western play (don’t go on size or supposed strength of schedule) who do you think would win between Western and…Wheelersburg, NW, Oak Hill, West, Eastern (they play them soon), SW?
Hmmm…seems like Western might have the exact same record right now in the SOC 2 as Valley does.

My only point is this. I’m not campaigning for Western to get a higher seed unless Valley loses more game (And Western takes care of their own business) I’m just pointing out everyone that keeps hammering strength of schedule might want to at least look a little deeper and not assume the usual.
Western beat Peebles at Peebles by 25, beat a 10-4 Ripley team by 36, went 4-0 against the SVC to open the season.

Just some thoughts to stew on. No ill will or anger. Lol.
My thoughts on this are simple, playing Burg, Pwest, NW, Oak hill even though they are bad this year on a nightly basis compared to playing teams like East, Clay, Green, NB, St Joe, is entirely different. The top 3 in SOC 2 are solid, but we still see teams like Pwest, NW, Burg challenging them in games. The bottom 3-4 in SOC 1 is challenging nobody, and that’s the difference.

Return to “Boys Basketball”