D4 Scores and Updates 2022

Space Between
Waterboy

Re: SEO D4 Rankings

Post by Space Between »

I think that Valley will start to fall off as the season goes. They are only playing 6 guys and pressing for nearly 32 minutes. That's really tough to do and sustain for the length of a season plus a tournament run. Fairfield I think is a team that's not getting enough credit. Overshadowed by the talk of Trimble, Valley, SW. Whiteoak is another.

Isn't Paint Valley back D4? If so, that is another team that I think could cause some problems for any D4 team.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Space Between wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:58 am I think that Valley will start to fall off as the season goes. They are only playing 6 guys and pressing for nearly 32 minutes. That's really tough to do and sustain for the length of a season plus a tournament run. Fairfield I think is a team that's not getting enough credit. Overshadowed by the talk of Trimble, Valley, SW. Whiteoak is another.

Isn't Paint Valley back D4? If so, that is another team that I think could cause some problems for any D4 team.
Paint Valley was high on my list early on but recently sustained an injury to one of their starters --- he is out for the season. Definite blow for them.

Whiteoak is a wild card. They are pretty good but a little more inconsistent then the teams mentioned above them.

I have my eyes on Fairfield as they definitely seem to be playing better.... but the loss to Western isn't looking as good with Western showing they're not what many people thought.... and then going on the road and getting absolutely drummed by Valley didn't help their cause either.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Western24
Freshman Team

Post by Western24 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:05 am
Space Between wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:58 am I think that Valley will start to fall off as the season goes. They are only playing 6 guys and pressing for nearly 32 minutes. That's really tough to do and sustain for the length of a season plus a tournament run. Fairfield I think is a team that's not getting enough credit. Overshadowed by the talk of Trimble, Valley, SW. Whiteoak is another.

Paint Valley was high on my list early on but recently sustained an injury to one of their starters --- he is out for the season. Definite blow for them.

Whiteoak is a wild card. They are pretty good but a little more inconsistent then the teams mentioned above them.

I have my eyes on Fairfield as they definitely seem to be playing better.... but the loss to Western isn't looking as good with Western showing they're not what many people thought.... and then going on the road and getting absolutely drummed by Valley didn't help their cause either.
I completely understand where anyone would be coming from with saying that Western showed they might not be as good as people thought. However, the two loses they were on the road, they shot sub 35% from the field, and it was their 9th and 10th game in 21 days. Those are all excuses and none of them mean they should have dropped two in a row. They rebounded nicely beating Peebles who may be down this year but it was a 30 point game after three. Schedule is weak yes but every one of their wins are by double figures excluding the 1 point win @ Notre Dame. I am not saying they are the best team in the d4 district at all but I do believe they are top 4. I wouldn't be surprised if they win out either. Only time will tell but when they are playing their best basketball they will compete with anyone in the district imo.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

FIDO wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:38 am I'm a Valley guy. The SW game could have gone either way. Valley had the big spend plenty of minutes on the bench in foul trouble and SW missed a lot of open 3 looks. The rematch will be interesting.

I wouldn't say there is a huge separation between Valley and SW.
SW did shoot extremely poor that game. Maybe two threes the whole game? I mean y’all only one by 6 and it was a 2 point game in the last 90 seconds.

Just looking at scores, how did Trimble give up so many points to Belpre when Webster went to the nest and gave up less than 30 points? 12 in the first half

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:36 pm
SW did shoot extremely poor that game. Maybe two threes the whole game? I mean y’all only one by 6 and it was a 2 point game in the last 90 seconds.

Just looking at scores, how did Trimble give up so many points to Belpre when Webster went to the nest and gave up less than 30 points? 12 in the first half
Trimble was up 25-8 after 1. No need to win by 50 and let the JV played

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:53 pm Ok about 30 minutes of stats here for Trimble vs Valley.
These are based off the latest Elite 8 rankings. Which don’t include Fort Frye and Caldwell. So keep that in mind they’re only figured into the PPG scored and allowed and wins column.

Through 9 games
PPG : Valley 71.3 Trimble 68.6
Opp PPG : Valley 51.66 Trimble 43.3

Strength of Schedule (Elite 8 Rankings averaged)
Valley 29.6 (21 games)
Trimble 52.6 (19 games) - excluding FF Caldwell

Through 9 games for Valley and 7 for Trimble
Opponents combined record
Valley 43-36
Trimble 23 - 41 (once again excluding Caldwell and FF, someone post that info please)

Highest ranked win so far
Valley over #9 South Webster
Trimble over #28 Waterford

Valley plays 6 games combined against top ten opponents
Waverly(1) SW (9) Minford (10)
Trimble is playing Zero. Their highest scheduled game on the schedule is Peake at 25

Valley Schedule :
6 games vs 1-10
1 game vs 11-20
2 games vs 21-30
4 games vs 31-40
5 games vs 41-50
3 games vs 51-60
0 games vs 60-70

Trimble Schedule
0 games vs 1-10
0 game vs 11-20
2 games vs 21-30
2 games vs 31-40
2 games vs 41-50
7 games vs 51-60
5 games vs 60-70

2 games vs non Elite 8 ranked teams

Edited because I had the GA game figured in for Trimble and everything was messed up
JUST ADDING FOR COMPARISON

Western 11-2
PPG 56.2
Opp 38.5

1ST QUARTER +133
2ND QUARTER +80
3RD QUARTER +53
4TH QUARTER -21

Western Schedule
0 games vs 1-10
0 game vs 11-20
2 games vs 21-30
2 games vs 31-40
2 games vs 41-50
2 games vs 51-60
5 games vs 60-70

-note- they beat McClain - Hillsboro - Leesburg 3X in summer/foundation

SE 46-34 W
PIKETON 58-33 W
HUNT 63-41 W
GREEN 74-55 W
PV 58-44 W
ST JOE 51-35 W
ND 48-47 W
MANCH 55-33 W
NB 40-47 L 4-18 FROM 3
SV 56-60 L 8-30 FROM 3
CLAY 60-14 W
PEEBLES 60-35 W
EAST 61-23 W

I think Western just got tight twice because they have only been in one close game other than those two L's.

Regardless of schedule - they are undefeated out of conference....good luck to anyone playing against their full court man-2-man. I watched film of Piketon break Valley's pressure easily and lose by 7 due to missed layups. Have not seen Trimble but D4 tournament will be fun to watch.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Valley was with out their starting PG for the piketon game. Valley missed free throws and piketon hit a 3 at the buzzer to make it a 7 point game. Piketon played well, but that wasn't a true example of how valley plays in my opinion. But yes, the D4 tournament will be fun to watch.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

transplant wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:33 am Valley was with out their starting PG for the piketon game. Valley missed free throws and piketon hit a 3 at the buzzer to make it a 7 point game. Piketon played well, but that wasn't a true example of how valley plays in my opinion. But yes, the D4 tournament will be fun to watch.
I agree, I just don't see zone presses working in the tournament. Valley is solid, but losing Perkins has to show itself eventually. I've been wrong before though.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yeah, if the players that left had stayed, Valley would be a lot deeper, but is what it is. I like the direction Valley is headed though.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Valley has great team chemistry this year. The coaches and players are all on the same page and the results are showing on the court. Their schedule is the tough SOC II and it is forcing them to improve as the season goes on. Looking at the schedules I believe VALLEY along with SW have the toughest schedules for Div 4 in the region.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Totally agree.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

South Webster this weekend is at Beaver and at West back to back. Seen them boys scouting west last night.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

..Peebles is currently 4-5.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valley took their first loss last night against D-II SOC foe Waverly, but I think the Indians sent a message to all of DIV.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

coop wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:00 am Valley took their first loss last night against D-II SOC foe Waverly, but I think the Indians sent a message to all of DIV.
Valley sent that message a long time ago.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

How I see it as of today...

1a.) Trimble
1b.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Western
5.) Leesburg Fairfield
6.) Federal Hocking
7.) Symmes Valley
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint Valley
10.) Whiteoak
11.) Notre Dame
12.) Peebles

I genuinely believe the only 3 teams capable of WINNING the district are Valley, Trimble, and South Webster (2 of them will win and advance). I just think those 3 have separated themselves from the rest of D4, particularly Trimble and Valley. South Webster has the talent to knock one of them off but it would take a tremendous game.

The Regional is setup this year where the SE District 1 winner will face the SE District 2 winner in the regional semifinals, thus guaranteeing a SEO team in the Regional Final.

The East is better this year than last year and the winning there will most likely be between River, Hiland, Malvern, or possibly Strasburg or Caldwell... RIver/Malvern/Hiland seem to be separating themselves, however.

Out of the Central it looks like Grandview Heights is the favorite yet again as they returned a huge chunk from last years team. East Knox, Tree of Life, and Groveport Christian are possible but Grandview seems to be separating themselves from the pack.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am How I see it as of today...

1a.) Trimble
1b.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Western
5.) Leesburg Fairfield
6.) Federal Hocking
7.) Symmes Valley
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint Valley
10.) Whiteoak
11.) Notre Dame
12.) Peebles

I genuinely believe the only 3 teams capable of WINNING the district are Valley, Trimble, and South Webster (2 of them will win and advance). I just think those 3 have separated themselves from the rest of D4, particularly Trimble and Valley. South Webster has the talent to knock one of them off but it would take a tremendous game.

The Regional is setup this year where the SE District 1 winner will face the SE District 2 winner in the regional semifinals, thus guaranteeing a SEO team in the Regional Final.

The East is better this year than last year and the winning there will most likely be between River, Hiland, Malvern, or possibly Strasburg or Caldwell... RIver/Malvern/Hiland seem to be separating themselves, however.

Out of the Central it looks like Grandview Heights is the favorite yet again as they returned a huge chunk from last years team. East Knox, Tree of Life, and Groveport Christian are possible but Grandview seems to be separating themselves from the pack.

Should be a very exciting tournament.

Gray Cat
Varsity

Post by Gray Cat »

1a.) Trimble
1b.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Western
5.) Leesburg Fairfield
6.) Federal Hocking
7.) Symmes Valley
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint Valley
10.) Whiteoak
11.) Notre Dame
12.) Peebles

I hope you are right about Valley and SW. I would hate to see Trimble go all the way to the final four without being tested. They need at least one tough competitive game before getting there just so they know what its' like. That's the one negative to beating the brakes off of everyone you play, you never get battle tested.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Valley and South Webster will benefit from playing up in SOC II play.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1a.) Trimble
1b.) Valley
3.) South Webster
4.) Western
5.) Leesburg Fairfield
6.) Federal Hocking
7.) Symmes Valley
8.) Waterford
9.) Paint Valley
10.) Whiteoak
11.) Notre Dame
12.) Peebles

I’m switching Fairfield and Western but both are quite good….and a bit behind SW as you said

Everything else I’m on board with. Whiteoak could possibly be getting Barnett back in a couple weeks but still waiting on some results.

Return to “Boys Basketball”