East District Division IV

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Re: East District Division IV

Post by allOhiotraveler »

Caldwell is going through a tough stretch right now. Frontier's Tanner Bills just recently eclipsed 1000 points after a recent 37 point outpour again Caldwell. I have seen Bills a few times and loved his game. But I also would not have expected him scoring 37 points in a game, especially against this Caldwell team. I don't know if redskinwitness has any thoughts on the team right now, but it doesn't seem as though they are in a good spot as tourney time rolls around.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

allOhiotraveler wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 pm Caldwell is going through a tough stretch right now. Frontier's Tanner Bills just recently eclipsed 1000 points after a recent 37 point outpour again Caldwell. I have seen Bills a few times and loved his game. But I also would not have expected him scoring 37 points in a game, especially against this Caldwell team. I don't know if redskinwitness has any thoughts on the team right now, but it doesn't seem as though they are in a good spot as tourney time rolls around.
They lost a physical game with Shadyside on Tuesday that came down to the final shot. They lost the Devold kid in that one to an injury, I’m not sure how serious but he is their second best player and best defender and didn’t play at Frontier the next night. If he’s out an extended amount of time they’ll miss him tremendously. In the Shadyside game the young freshman post herlin let his emotions get the best of him in the second quarter and got into a very physical altercation with the Brock kid, he got a T which in my opinion ended up costing them the game. They didn’t put him back in and deservedly so. He also played very limited minutes against Frontier so I’m guessing coach wasn’t over the behavior from the night before yet. As far as the frontier game goes, watching from the stands we didn’t seem overly concerned about stopping Bills. They typically diamond press and play a lot of a matchup zone but they didn’t do any of that. They played mostly just halfcourt man to man and didn’t do much trapping like they normally do, they actually looked like they were switching everything and the posts were getting roasted by Bills. He made some fantastic shots and tons of free throws. The foul discrepancy was nearly 3-1 but no excuses! Lori #2 has maybe made 3 shots the past 3 games which is probably the biggest concern other than Devold. I would imagine that slump will end soon. I’m not sure what was up with our head coach, he wasn’t on the officials very much like I normally see when they’re not very good, other than the cheap shot taken at Lori at the end of the game. They’re a mystery to me, at full strength they’re really good but some nights they seem disinterested.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

redskinwitness wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:01 pm
allOhiotraveler wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:22 pm Caldwell is going through a tough stretch right now. Frontier's Tanner Bills just recently eclipsed 1000 points after a recent 37 point outpour again Caldwell. I have seen Bills a few times and loved his game. But I also would not have expected him scoring 37 points in a game, especially against this Caldwell team. I don't know if redskinwitness has any thoughts on the team right now, but it doesn't seem as though they are in a good spot as tourney time rolls around.
They lost a physical game with Shadyside on Tuesday that came down to the final shot. They lost the Devold kid in that one to an injury, I’m not sure how serious but he is their second best player and best defender and didn’t play at Frontier the next night. If he’s out an extended amount of time they’ll miss him tremendously. In the Shadyside game the young freshman post herlin let his emotions get the best of him in the second quarter and got into a very physical altercation with the Brock kid, he got a T which in my opinion ended up costing them the game. They didn’t put him back in and deservedly so. He also played very limited minutes against Frontier so I’m guessing coach wasn’t over the behavior from the night before yet. As far as the frontier game goes, watching from the stands we didn’t seem overly concerned about stopping Bills. They typically diamond press and play a lot of a matchup zone but they didn’t do any of that. They played mostly just halfcourt man to man and didn’t do much trapping like they normally do, they actually looked like they were switching everything and the posts were getting roasted by Bills. He made some fantastic shots and tons of free throws. The foul discrepancy was nearly 3-1 but no excuses! Lori #2 has maybe made 3 shots the past 3 games which is probably the biggest concern other than Devold. I would imagine that slump will end soon. I’m not sure what was up with our head coach, he wasn’t on the officials very much like I normally see when they’re not very good, other than the cheap shot taken at Lori at the end of the game. They’re a mystery to me, at full strength they’re really good but some nights they seem disinterested.
and this is why you play the game. Caldwell grits one out tonight against Monroe Central, who I assume they will be seeing soon enough. Thanks for the report redskinwitness! It will be interesting how things change up as we approach tourney time. All it takes is a few shots to fall and some of those kids to regain their composure to changing the whole bracket. We will see. The MC/Caldwell sectional final will be one to watch!

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Shadyside beats one loss Wheeling Central 62-54

Linsly beats River 55-39. Back and forth until late in third.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

River really impressed me. You knew Linsly was going to pull away late in this one. Linsly is rotating 9 or 10 kids. It's just too much for small schools to match that energy level for four quarters when you are running six or seven. River is nice though. I like them to come out of the district after watching them.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

Also Central really seemed to blow this game. Not sure what their deal was, they looked like the better team but couldn't close.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Riverrats wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:22 pm River really impressed me. You knew Linsly was going to pull away late in this one. Linsly is rotating 9 or 10 kids. It's just too much for small schools to match that energy level for four quarters when you are running six or seven. River is nice though. I like them to come out of the district after watching them.
It was almost certainly their worst game of the year. Linsly’s pressure and athleticism really bothered River.

River might win the District but today showed how to beat them.

Shadyside lost their point guard the entire first quarter from an elbow on the tip. Outscored WC 56-39 the last 3 quarters.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

Hiland beats Malvern in the IVC Showcase of league south champions vs north league champions 58-35

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

hhawk wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:19 pm Hiland beats Malvern in the IVC Showcase of league south champions vs north league champions 58-35
That’s a statement game

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

PVCGuru wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:32 pm
Riverrats wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:22 pm River really impressed me. You knew Linsly was going to pull away late in this one. Linsly is rotating 9 or 10 kids. It's just too much for small schools to match that energy level for four quarters when you are running six or seven. River is nice though. I like them to come out of the district after watching them.
It was almost certainly their worst game of the year. Linsly’s pressure and athleticism really bothered River.

Shadyside lost their point guard the entire first quarter from an elbow on the tip. Outscored WC 56-39 the last 3 quarters.
👍 I Came in after start of second.

Linsly just throws so much at you in variety, numbers and pressure. They have the personnel for everyone to always be fresh and unique defensively. I thought the River guards held up as long as they could under the pressure.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

The IVC South Division vs IVC North Division, South Division goes 7-0 on the day
Claymont beats Newcomerstown 60-26
Sandy Valley beats Conotton Valley 55-44
Ridgewood beats East Canton 65-51
Indian Valley beats Buckeye Trail 64-43
Tusky Valley beats Tusky Catholic 56-47
Garaway beats Strasburg 49-43
Hiland beats Malvern 58-35

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

Riverrats wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:05 pm [quote=PVCGuru post_id=<a href="tel:1987158">1987158</a> time=<a href="tel:1644715947">1644715947</a> user_id=756]
[quote=Riverrats post_id=<a href="tel:1987146">1987146</a> time=<a href="tel:1644715324">1644715324</a> user_id=17238]
River really impressed me. You knew Linsly was going to pull away late in this one. Linsly is rotating 9 or 10 kids. It's just too much for small schools to match that energy level for four quarters when you are running six or seven. River is nice though. I like them to come out of the district after watching them.

[/quote]

👍 I Came in after start of second.

Linsly just throws so much at you in variety, numbers and pressure. They have the personnel for everyone to always be fresh and unique defensively. I thought the River guards held up as long as they could under the pressure.
[/quote]

river had way to many turnovers to win this game. not sure river will be able to beat slim shady for a third time. if they do end up facing hiland i can see hiland playing the same type of in your face physical defense.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Not really sure how anyone can walk away from the 3A game thinking that was an impressive showing by the Pilots. That was without a doubt their worst performance of the year. I think it also very naive to believe that there aren't D4 teams that can play 8-9 deep because Hiland usually does that season in and season out. Linsly used their energy to run and jump a majority of the game and we saw a very unprepared River team handle it. Isaly and Lollathin tried to break it with the dribble in the backcourt while the other three players stood in place. Sometimes they did and it lead to easy layups. Most of the time, it lead to out of control passes and strips. Linsly sped up River and the Pilots simply were not ready.

I think seeing Hiland take Malvern out to the woodshed after River handled them tightly at home should indicate that River isn't the favorites for this district. As someone mentioned earlier, they have a VERY tough matchup with Shadyside (assuming they beat Shenandoah) that no one should miss. A very physical game coming to Hannibal that night. It's very hard to beat a team three times (as Wheeling Central will tell you after today). Shadyside has hit its stride and has shown to be vastly underseeded.

The facts are I love this iteration of the Pilots team. They have one of Coach Romick's most intelligent teams he has coached. Their defensive ability 1-5 in the half court is frightening with how they can switch across the board. They are also a VERY athletic team. The fact still remains that they can play 6-7 depending on one of the subs is doing that night and when you play for low scoring games, you can keep many teams in the game. I believe this River team could win the district, but after today I am not optimistic that this could be reality with the gauntlet before them.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

It’s just one game of good basketball. Time to get ready for the new season. Good luck all 👍👏

blackshooky
All Conference

Post by blackshooky »

allOhiotraveler wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:47 am Not really sure how anyone can walk away from the 3A game thinking that was an impressive showing by the Pilots. That was without a doubt their worst performance of the year. I think it also very naive to believe that there aren't D4 teams that can play 8-9 deep because Hiland usually does that season in and season out. Linsly used their energy to run and jump a majority of the game and we saw a very unprepared River team handle it. Isaly and Lollathin tried to break it with the dribble in the backcourt while the other three players stood in place. Sometimes they did and it lead to easy layups. Most of the time, it lead to out of control passes and strips. Linsly sped up River and the Pilots simply were not ready.

I think seeing Hiland take Malvern out to the woodshed after River handled them tightly at home should indicate that River isn't the favorites for this district. As someone mentioned earlier, they have a VERY tough matchup with Shadyside (assuming they beat Shenandoah) that no one should miss. A very physical game coming to Hannibal that night. It's very hard to beat a team three times (as Wheeling Central will tell you after today). Shadyside has hit its stride and has shown to be vastly underseeded.

The facts are I love this iteration of the Pilots team. They have one of Coach Romick's most intelligent teams he has coached. Their defensive ability 1-5 in the half court is frightening with how they can switch across the board. They are also a VERY athletic team. The fact still remains that they can play 6-7 depending on one of the subs is doing that night and when you play for low scoring games, you can keep many teams in the game. I believe this River team could win the district, but after today I am not optimistic that this could be reality with the gauntlet before them.
1 - you stated a very unprepared river team and the pilots were not ready - coaching

2 - river vs slim shady will come down to how the game is officiated

3 - time will tell

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

PVCGuru wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:32 pm

I agree that Linsly showed the formula to beat River. River was good on the defensive end, but their offense couldn’t handle the pressure. Linsly kept blitzing the guards and trapping them near half court and River never found an answer. To me the big takeaway from this game is that Rivers defense will have to be perfect for them to beat a team like Hiland. Their offense just simply doesn’t look good enough to me.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

Some of not being able to score and not handling the pressure is based on the competition. I realize Hiland has been the boogie man in D4 east for awhile but times change and sometimes a few adjustments can make all of the difference. Linsly isn't Linsly of old. I know Wojick made the move to create a competitive national prep program there when he got hired and began pulling players in through his aau program through several states. They dropped a lot of local teams and started playing the big guys. They recruit the players to play the pressure they want Linsly played a pretty tight game with Dover who is the #6 D1 in Ohio and who just smashed West Virginias top 5a school, they beat Fort Frye by 40, Bellaire by 30 and East Liverpool by 20 some. I'm not crowning River, I just wouldn't count them out against the east district teams. They have a tough road but could do it I'm just cutting them a break and not making as much out of losing to a team like Linsly. Shadyside is in the same boat and I'm looking forward to that war with the tigers. I don't have a dog in it, we are Meadowbrook but hoping at least one of the river teams can make a run.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

What makes this win over Malvern even more special,is our leading scorer and super sophomore, did not play in this game,we held Malvern big kid Minor the 5 points, and yes Linsly Cadets team, is alot this Hudson Western Reserve Academy,we played earlier this season,they pull players from all over the u.s.a.and other countries,we lost to them 48-39,they were big and very physical,had a couple guys were around 6'10",this year's Hiland team is good, but there not one of our very good teams, that we have had in the past,talk around town before the season started was they were just going to be an ok team,the boys took that to heart and have played with a chip on there shoulder,ever since

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Malvern is struggling a little right now. Thought they were 1-2 in this district a month ago. Not now.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

I think every good team during the season has there lows and highs,good coaching and chemistry will work through,these difficult situations,every good team wants to be playing at there high level right now,my Hawks will get a very stern test this Tuesday at Dalton, probably the best offensive team we will see for a D4 team,there probably averaging around 75 a game and we are giving up around 47 a game

Return to “Boys Basketball”