Mon 12/20

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Re: Mon 12/20

Post by PtownClown »

biggdowgg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:12 pm Not up to minford to stop scoring its up to portsmouth to play defense !!

3 of last 5 games 1 player has put up 30 plus points.

They won't be 160 points tomorrow but not sure it will be close game either way minford is the real deal
Agree 💯
Defense= want to and toughness
PHS Showed none and have showed none all season
You are correct it’s not Mifnords fault
Again No problem with Mifnord at all…AT ALL
But a tough team would have put someone on their ass for shooting 3s late up by close to 30
I guess I’m too old school
And maybe PHS isn’t old school enough

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

Good luck to you as well
You have a nice ball club
I’m just frustrated with the effort and attitude I’m seeing from my alma mater
That’s all
Minford is solid and Coach Shoemaker does a great job

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Literally nobody in scioto county outside of portsmouthians cares about portsmouth basketball. Irrelevant in the OVC, probably a bottom feeder in SOC2 year in and year out, unlike Minford.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 pm Portsmouth hasn’t cared in a decade lol

Word... what I've been seeing. And saying. Not sure what the love affair is with coach... they've always got some Jimmy's an Joe's... jus leaves one thang missing.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Absolutely embarrassing loss. Not bashing Minford but the the score instead. Coach Collins is a good coach, he’s a good guy, he’s had winning teams at Portsmouth, but you can’t keep a guy around because of the above mentioned things. I think he has had some teams that could’ve had better records and seasons than they had, including this one. Talent is there, as much as I like the guy, I don’t think coaching is there. I’m not here to bash him, but I see people saying Portsmouth is letting Minford hit 3’s and don’t seem to care. Why is that? Well it starts with coaching. These kids do as coached. I think he’s lost something with his coaching. It didn’t happen this year, didn’t happen last year, I think it happened 3-4 seasons ago. I’m not claiming I can do better, I’m not here to trash his reputation, but in my opinion I think it’s time for the Trojans to move in a new direction. Not a hire within, but a new face to change the program.

Who Dey!
mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

From what I heard and saw from the game last night a closely matched contest in the first half, Minford went hot in the 3rd period and subbed 2nd and 3rd stringers in the 4th, that honestly wanted to play and shoot basketball. Portsmouth will bounce back and win some games. Great win by the Falcons, they needed that after losing to Valley and South Webster.

Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

PtownClown wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:32 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:12 pm Not up to minford to stop scoring its up to portsmouth to play defense !!

3 of last 5 games 1 player has put up 30 plus points.

They won't be 160 points tomorrow but not sure it will be close game either way minford is the real deal
Agree 💯
Defense= want to and toughness
PHS Showed none and have showed none all season
You are correct it’s not Mifnords fault
Again No problem with Mifnord at all…AT ALL
But a tough team would have put someone on their ass for shooting 3s late up by close to 30
I guess I’m too old school
And maybe PHS isn’t old school enough
At this point we would lose that too.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I was at the game, and I was MAD for anyone who noticed......I stood up and literally screamed for more effort from our players and to play with some pride.......it may sound corny in today's world, but what's on the front of that jersey has meant 100 years of winning basketball (overall) with a tournament record unequalled by anyone in the SE district and few in the state. There is still a lot of pride in our history, but it's not showing on the court at this time. What's most bothersome is the total lack of defense......so far in 7 games, PHS is giving up 69.3 PPG, while scoring 68.8.....how many programs in the state can score that much and yet still give up more PPG, and have a losing record on top of that (2-5)? In addition, PHS seems to let one player completely go off.......Ashbaugh of Whiteoak, Porter of Fairland, or Zimmerman of Minford.....all racked up a huge point night vs. the Trojans. One game the lane is wide open, like the Chesapeake game, where they scored layup after layup, or the 3 point line is unguarded, like Minford.

Congratulations to the Minford Falcons and former Trojan Coach Josh Shoemaker on the win.....they did not run up the score, as biggdowgg mentioned, it was up to the Trojans to play defense, which obviously was seriously lacking with a parade of 3's all night. The Falcons have a nice team where everybody touches the ball, and all are capable of scoring. To watch this shellacking was embarrassing, as Minford did about anything they wanted to do with virtually no resistance.......they could have scored 100+ if they kept the starters in. I believe that is the largest margin of victory by the Falcons in the series.

I don't see a turnaround this season.......I'm hoping for one, but the lack of defense tells a sorry tale.

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

Never said Minford ran up the score just trying to make a point that Portsmouth lacks the mental toughness to compete
A tough team wouldn’t allow teams to drive the lane uncontested time and time again
A tough team wouldn’t continually allow teams to shoot open threes
I’m sorry if my rant came across wrong
It’s not Mifnords fault
It’s a Portsmouth issue
They need to watch clips of the Bad Boy Pistons and get an idea of what toughness and defense looks like
That’s what I’m alluding to
I’d find five guys in that program that are gonna get up in someone’s jock
Hammer people if they drive the lane to send a message
Guard the 3 point line like they care
There has to be 5 guys in that locker room that want to do that
I sure hope so or it’s gonna be a long season
Again Mifnord is solid and I do not think they ran up the score

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PtownClown: You don't have to apologize.......your posts show that you care about the program and where it's headed.

We Trojan fans and alums are all upset about what happened last night and so far this season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

PtownClown wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:21 pm Never said Minford ran up the score just trying to make a point that Portsmouth lacks the mental toughness to compete
A tough team wouldn’t allow teams to drive the lane uncontested time and time again
A tough team wouldn’t continually allow teams to shoot open threes
I’m sorry if my rant came across wrong
It’s not Mifnords fault
It’s a Portsmouth issue
They need to watch clips of the Bad Boy Pistons and get an idea of what toughness and defense looks like
That’s what I’m alluding to
I’d find five guys in that program that are gonna get up in someone’s jock
Hammer people if they drive the lane to send a message
Guard the 3 point line like they care
There has to be 5 guys in that locker room that want to do that
I sure hope so or it’s gonna be a long season
Again Mifnord is solid and I do not think they ran up the score
Your post earlier clarified everything well and cleared your earlier posts. No need to apologize….if anyone is mad then they are just looking to be

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

Thank you Ironman!
I’m not the smartest sometimes
I probably should have waited a few days to post anything so I could take the emotion out of it
Good luck to both teams tonight
I hope it’s a close entertaining well played game

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

PtownClown wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:37 pm Thank you Ironman and TrojanDave!
I’m not the smartest sometimes
I probably should have waited a few days to post anything so I could take the emotion out of it
Good luck to both teams tonight
I hope it’s a close entertaining well played game

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

tonylip wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:48 pm Minford didn’t play a starter in the fourth quarter and hit 1 3 pointer in the 4th quarter. All young players in there that deserve to get to play when they are in for an entire quarter. Minford had 90 with 4 minutes left. Could have been worse.

Just shows where prownclowns priorities are. Losers complain about how they lose. If I was Portsmouth I would worry about their end then how many bench players score in you.
I would say the kids that was playing the fourth was probably mostly freshman.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Good ole MifNord

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”