Officials at Albany Alexander 12/12

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Officials at Albany Alexander 12/12

Post by Falconfan14 »

Something i have never seen before in a High School level basketball game. 1st half Minford player gets fouled while shooting and ball goes in. Officials call 2 shots. Player makes 1st foul shot. Everyone in the gym thinks he is only shooting 1. Several players even transition to other end for defense. Officials huddle. Decide to keep it 2 shots, I guess because none of them saw the ball go in like everyone else in the gym.
2nd half Minford player drives gets fouled while shooting a layup. Ball does not go in but officials call bucket good but no one realizes they called it good. Score keeper does not put bucket on board. Player makes 1st foul shot. Players waiting for foul shot #2. Officials say it is Alexander ball before player shoots second foul shot because they think he made the initial shot. Officials huddle. I guess this time they all think the initial shot went in. they go to the scorekeeper. 2 points added to Minford score. The ALEXANDER COACH GOES OFF. WOULD HAVE PROBABLY KILLED THE REF HAD HIS ASSISTANT NOT BASICALLY TACKLED HIM AND PULLED HIM TO THE END OF THE BENCH. ALEXANDER COACH THEN TRHOWS WHATEVER WAS IN HIS HAND TOWARD THE END OF THE COURT. LUCKILY HE DIDNT HIT ANYONE BECAUSE THERE WERE PEOPLE IN THE DIRECTION OF WHATEVER HE THREW. NO TECHNICAL GIVEN.
HOW CAN 3 OFFICIALS AT THE VARSITY LEVEL MISS THIS CALL 2X IN ONE GAME!!!! HOPE THESE 3 WOULD NEVER BE CONSIDERED FOR TOURNEY PLAY.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Re: Officials at Albany Alexander 12/12

Post by Chieftain2009 »

High school officials are not typically the best. But I've never heard of something like this.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I was surprised that the Alexander coach didn't get AT LEAST 1 technical for his behavior - however he WAS CORRECT the shot didn't go in by the Minford player ... no technical there BUT the official called a technical on a Minford player who got hammered under the basket on a drive ... interesting night officiating wise in the Alley tonight LOL ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

There were some missed calls in Albany for sure. I don't think it changed the outcome of the game, but seeing whether the ball went in the basket or not seems pretty important. Seems like on this night it all balanced out as one basket was not counted that should have been and one was counted that never went in the basket.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

If either team records the game for film purposes, I would have someone chop video clips of the incidents in question and send them to the evaluators or reffing association. The point shouldn't be to impugn officials, rather, convey to them to be mindful of this (again). Some things are obvious to the lay people / fans, but in the heat of the game and if you're in the stripes its easy to overlook the obvious thing. I'm sure none of you have ever made a mistake before.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

My favorite was Ryan Luehrman got fouled and the player got a T for cussing at the ref. Burrow shot all four foul shots. This was in a tied overtime game against Lucasville Valley.

But sounds like these refs were bad both ways

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Isn't that the epitome of a "make-up" call? After a delay, but yet "tit for tat"!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

There is zero place in the game for "make-up calls". That just damages the integrity of the game and those who do genuinely give 100% wearing the stripes.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

I am still amazed that Albany 's coach didn't get a technical foul for his foul language, object throwing, verbal threatening tirade. He should have been given a double technical and shown the door to listen to 93bulldog the rest of the game.

It totally amazed me that the coach received no technical, but Rowe received a very quick technical after no foul was called when he got hammered on a layup attempt.

Farmer86
Waterboy

Post by Farmer86 »

Who were the refs?

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

minford17 wrote:I am still amazed that Albany 's coach didn't get a technical foul for his foul language, object throwing, verbal threatening tirade. He should have been given a double technical and shown the door to listen to 93bulldog the rest of the game.

It totally amazed me that the coach received no technical, but Rowe received a very quick technical after no foul was called when he got hammered on a layup attempt.
I am not sure how close you were to the bench, but from where I was sitting, there was not any foul language used at all. I agree a technical foul was warranted for the tirade.

Besides the two questionable baskets made or missed, I thought the game was officiated well.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The refs did a pretty good job for the most part, it was a physical game & they let the kids play. Those make for the best games as a fan. Did a mishap occur before Kearns got upset? I think so, my scorebook did not match up with the scoreboard. But, those things happen from time to time.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

The game was weird from top to bottom. It was an obvious make up call when they missed counting the basket and then counted the basket that didn't go in. It was my understanding that the Alexander coach never used foul language, although it was insane that he didn't get at least one technical for his tirade. The weird part of the game started when the varsity game and most of the jv game was going on, a lot of Alexander fans were sitting on the visitors side and the cheerleaders for Alexander never cheered to the home stands. It was confusing as to whether I was sitting on the correct side of the gym or not. Not a big deal just weird. The officials mishaps didn't affect the outcome of the game IMO.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Well, he wasn't nearly as upset when he was the benefit of the points NOT going on the board.

Falconfan14
Riding the Bench

Post by Falconfan14 »

Alexander did outplay Minford and Im not suggesting that Minford would have won but it looks bad when the more physical team- Alexander shoots 30 foul shots and Minford shoots 13 then they don't give the Alexander coach a T for the way he acted.

Valenth
SEOP

Post by Valenth »

The OHSAA needs to look into this..

spartans_fan
Varsity

Post by spartans_fan »

Falconfan14 wrote:Alexander did outplay Minford and Im not suggesting that Minford would have won but it looks bad when the more physical team- Alexander shoots 30 foul shots and Minford shoots 13 then they don't give the Alexander coach a T for the way he acted.
Minford was fouling to stop the clock for the last four minutes of the game. Alexander was hitting their free throws and then getting stops.
Flock_92 wrote:The game was weird from top to bottom. It was an obvious make up call when they missed counting the basket and then counted the basket that didn't go in. It was my understanding that the Alexander coach never used foul language, although it was insane that he didn't get at least one technical for his tirade. The weird part of the game started when the varsity game and most of the jv game was going on, a lot of Alexander fans were sitting on the visitors side and the cheerleaders for Alexander never cheered to the home stands. It was confusing as to whether I was sitting on the correct side of the gym or not. Not a big deal just weird. The officials mishaps didn't affect the outcome of the game IMO.
There really is not a home side and a visitors side in the Alley. That is just part of what makes games there so exciting. You mix in the band, the students, the open end and it is a fun night of entertainment.

Good luck to Minford the rest of the season.

Flock_92
Freshman Team

Post by Flock_92 »

spartans_fan wrote:
Falconfan14 wrote:Alexander did outplay Minford and Im not suggesting that Minford would have won but it looks bad when the more physical team- Alexander shoots 30 foul shots and Minford shoots 13 then they don't give the Alexander coach a T for the way he acted.
Minford was fouling to stop the clock for the last four minutes of the game. Alexander was hitting their free throws and then getting stops.
Flock_92 wrote:The game was weird from top to bottom. It was an obvious make up call when they missed counting the basket and then counted the basket that didn't go in. It was my understanding that the Alexander coach never used foul language, although it was insane that he didn't get at least one technical for his tirade. The weird part of the game started when the varsity game and most of the jv game was going on, a lot of Alexander fans were sitting on the visitors side and the cheerleaders for Alexander never cheered to the home stands. It was confusing as to whether I was sitting on the correct side of the gym or not. Not a big deal just weird. The officials mishaps didn't affect the outcome of the game IMO.
There really is not a home side and a visitors side in the Alley. That is just part of what makes games there so exciting. You mix in the band, the students, the open end and it is a fun night of entertainment.

Good luck to Minford the rest of the season.

Spartans_fan Thanks for the clarification on the seating arrangements and good luck to Alexander the rest of the season.

Binary
JV Team

Post by Binary »

Was it those danged "Glouster refs?"

Vc123
Waterboy

Post by Vc123 »

Here a lot about the refs at Alexander and the student section if they were so many complaints wouldn't the athletic director or someone try to fix them or at least address them if they were a problem? I am not saying they are problems just here alot of negative things. I personally have a lot of respect for the boys basketball team they are a well coached team that play hard and with a lot of discipline.

Return to “Boys Basketball”