Portsmouth East (2-5)
Portsmouth Clay (0-12)
Crooksville (0-7)
West Union (0-8)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio- Week 5

Post by Ironman92 »

Still don’t think McClain top 4. Lost at home to D4 Fayetteville and lost to Jackson. Fortunate The big guy got hurt vs Washington.

Is their resume any better than Minford?

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Long rest for Warren so hopefully they were able to work on a few things. A date with Fort Frye at home Tuesday then a very tough road matchup against New Philly away on Friday night.

Go Blue
peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Big week for The Peake
Tues at home Fairland
Fri. Away Gallipolis
Sat. Home Trimble

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

peake71 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:36 pm Big week for The Peake
Tues at home Fairland
Fri. Away Gallipolis
Sat. Home Trimble
Huge week...an they could win em all...or lose em all.lol. And I'm not tryin to be flaky or noncommittal... It's what I've said from game 1... these kids can beat anybody on their schedule. But they could lose to any of them as well. 3-0 week wouldn't surprise me.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Fine number nine has Eastern pike at the nest on Friday, at West on Saturday.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Don’t think I could keep Fairland in the top 8 after losing at home to a very very inconsistent and confusing Portsmouth West team. They have a few great wins now, along with some bad losses.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Great job as always pfloyd. As much as I hate to admit it -- I think Ironman92 is right. I think Minford > Greenfield and their resume is even better considering the big kid didn't play for WCH when they beat them.

South Point is the #2 team in my opinion based off their wins.

My top 10 would be:

1.) Waverly
2.) South Point
3.) Valley
4.) Trimble
5.) Unioto
6.) South Webster
7.) Minford
8.) Greenfield McClain
9.) Fairland
10.) Washington Courthouse

Eastern Brown and Gallia my first 2 teams out.

WCH would be even higher on my list if they were healthy for all games.

I would have had Fairland around #5 had they not lost to West. That one perplexes me given some of West's results this year. They're not a bad team by any means, but Fairland should have won that game at home.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Hornetfan84
Riding the Bench

Post by Hornetfan84 »

I’m surprised Fairland is as competitive as they have been with almost a completely new team. I wouldn’t be surprised if they have to battle for every win and drop a few more games before tournament time.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly needs to keep playing with the intensity they played with against University of Upper Arlington and Newark. Tigers can’t let up!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:54 pm Great job as always pfloyd. As much as I hate to admit it -- I think Ironman92 is right. I think Minford > Greenfield and their resume is even better considering the big kid didn't play for WCH when they beat them.

My top 10 would be:

1.) Waverly
2.) South Point
3.) Valley
4.) Trimble
5.) Unioto
6.) South Webster
7.) Minford
8.) Greenfield McClain
9.) Fairland

I would have had Fairland around #5 had they not lost to West. That one perplexes me given some of West's results this year. They're not a bad team by any means, but Fairland should have won that game at home.
Fairland won 3 of the 4 quarters vs West ... lost the 2nd period 3 to 17 ... not sure how that happened either unless you fall in love with the 3 point line ... only had Taylor and Porter in double digits vs West ... Davis & Thacker only had 4 points each I believe ... need that 3rd scorer to be more consistent (10 points minimum from EITHER Davis or Thacker every game)... lost the game by 3 points ... lost to South Point at South Point by 3 points as well - couldn't hit the ocean from behind the arc - have to "find another way" - Taylor/Porter/Davis can all get to the rim ... a key to the Fairland success might end up being Steeler Leep - he can score on drives to the rim - tough learning your role for youngin's ... he NEEDS to find HIS shot/look for HIS shot and TAKE HIS shot ... just 6 or 7 points per game would be BIG for FHS ... I have no problem with the "differences" in rankings ... I'm sticking with mine based on my "eye tests" - out of the 12 teams listed I've seen 11 of them (the exception being South Point) ... I feel good about my comparisons based on what I've seen from all of them ... fun season for lots of teams! and us fans too !!! ... I have some "must see teams" in the next couple of weeks ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Tues at home Fairland
Fri. Away Gallipolis
Sat. Home Trimble
peake71, the game at home vs Trimble does it have an early start time on Saturday? thought I saw on another thread a week or so ago that this one was tipping off earlier in the day than usual - I might have been just dreaming though!!! LOL ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:48 pm
Tues at home Fairland
Fri. Away Gallipolis
Sat. Home Trimble
peake71, the game at home vs Trimble does it have an early start time on Saturday? thought I saw on another thread a week or so ago that this one was tipping off earlier in the day than usual - I might have been just dreaming though!!! LOL ...
I just found it peake71, looks like varsity tips off at 4:30 Saturday ... I KNEW you had posted it ! just didn't know exactly where I had read it LOL ... I hate that the Beasts of the SouthEast is canceled !!! ... I get it though - a great deal of work gets put in by a large number of volunteers ... the Beasts is the Gold Standard for comparing all other in-season tournaments - hope it returns at some point ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fed Hock > Waterford.

Lol

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

We hated to have it canceled too. There were some situations that caused it to be for this year.
Give you a bettet run down when I see you.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:26 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:54 pm Great job as always pfloyd. As much as I hate to admit it -- I think Ironman92 is right. I think Minford > Greenfield and their resume is even better considering the big kid didn't play for WCH when they beat them.

My top 10 would be:

1.) Waverly
2.) South Point
3.) Valley
4.) Trimble
5.) Unioto
6.) South Webster
7.) Minford
8.) Greenfield McClain
9.) Fairland

Fairland won 3 of the 4 quarters vs West ... lost the 2nd period 3 to 17 ... not sure how that happened either unless you fall in love with the 3 point line ... only had Taylor and Porter in double digits vs West ... Davis & Thacker only had 4 points each I believe ... need that 3rd scorer to be more consistent (10 points minimum from EITHER Davis or Thacker every game)... lost the game by 3 points ... lost to South Point at South Point by 3 points as well - couldn't hit the ocean from behind the arc - have to "find another way" - Taylor/Porter/Davis can all get to the rim ... a key to the Fairland success might end up being Steeler Leep - he can score on drives to the rim - tough learning your role for youngin's ... he NEEDS to find HIS shot/look for HIS shot and TAKE HIS shot ... just 6 or 7 points per game would be BIG for FHS ... I have no problem with the "differences" in rankings ... I'm sticking with mine based on my "eye tests" - out of the 12 teams listed I've seen 11 of them (the exception being South Point) ... I feel good about my comparisons based on what I've seen from all of them ... fun season for lots of teams! and us fans too !!! ... I have some "must see teams" in the next couple of weeks ...

You do a great job my man! Your rankings have always been and always will be king. The rest of us are just rambling incoherent nonsense to make the time go by :lol:

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

West won at Fairland who was coming off a loss. That is no small feat. Fairland is talented, has a great player, and a great coach. Probably the most consistent basketball program in Southern Ohio. For people to make that sound like a fluke is wrong

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Fluke

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Westfan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:21 am West won at Fairland who was coming off a loss. That is no small feat. Fairland is talented, has a great player, and a great coach. Probably the most consistent basketball program in Southern Ohio. For people to make that sound like a fluke is wrong
You are absolutely correct about the Dragons - they have been one of the most consistent "programs" in SEO for YEARS ... they are not a fluke, West beating them is not a fluke either ... the good teams - Fairland IS one - have weaknesses ... AT TIMES they "fall in love with the 3 ball" when you are playing a good team - West IS one - the good teams can/do make you pay for the empty trips down court ... the good teams learn every game out win or lose ... why did they lose the 2nd quarter 3 pts to 17 points? as good as Fairland is - how did they only score 3 points - must have been a reason ... did West turn up the pressure that period? I know watching Fairland lose to Huntington WVa - the HHS turned up the pressure in the 2nd half - THAT forced some rushed FHS shots, a few turnovers -not many 2 or 3 - but they all ended with empty trips down court. no shots on goal - the Dragons lost to Huntington by ... wait for it ... 3 points ... South Point - a poor 3 point shooting night in the first half ... something like 3 for 23 for the game ... empty trips ... Dragons lost by ?????? 3 points ... I've seen almost 40 different teams that I rank " in person" many of the top teams in my top 25 more than once some as many as 4 times already ... Fairland HAS reloaded ... they are as good as anyone I've seen ... but to get to the top recognizing when to "try another way" - get to the rim, work the ball to get a "better shot" , take the 3 when you are set,square to the hoop, getting the 3 ball taken by the right guy(s) is key as well - not just because "it was there" ... 3 losses by a total of 9 points - good team ... West - a good team - took advantage of "whatever" happened in the 2nd quarter - that's what good teams do as well ... there is no fluke on either side ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

complete list TVC Boys basketball scores 1/4

Nelsonville-York 59
Alexander 77

Wellston 32
Athens 54

Point Pleasant 62
River Valley 54

Southern 70