RPI Rankings for every team in the state!

JoseBurrowse
Waterboy

RPI Rankings for every team in the state!

Post by JoseBurrowse »

Go check out MartinRPI.com! RPI Rankings by Division, by Region, & Strength of Schedules included. Follow on Twitter for updates @MartinRPI_

www.MartinRPI.com

formerfcfan
SEOP

Re: RPI Rankings for every team in the state!

Post by formerfcfan »

The link’s legit. Enjoy perusing, fans. The person who put it together did solid work.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Interesting:

D3

5. South Point
17. Minford
18. Fairland

D2

5. Greenfield McClain
39. Unioto
44. Gallia Academy
48. Waverly

D4

1. Lucasville Valley
8. Trimble
23. South Webster
32. Symmes Valley
38. Pike Western

The text book definition of RPI calculations:

The current and commonly used formula for determining the RPI of a college basketball team at any given time is as follows. RPI = (WP * 0.25) + (OWP * 0.50) + (OOWP * 0.25) where WP is Winning Percentage, OWP is Opponents' Winning Percentage and OOWP is Opponents' Opponents' Winning Percentage

RPI is analytical on wins and strength of schedule. The owner of the site appears to have done the leg work but the great thing about HS basketball is that the final proof is determined head to head in the tournaments.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Dumb.

Waverly is 15 points better than McClain

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The rankings can be disputed, but overall it is an interesting database.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

I won't look at them LOL ... I have this in head - my pfloyd understanding/viewpoint as to what "I" feel makes for a good basketball team ... I get out and watch as many games as I can, especially my top 30-35 teams ... I have what I feel is THE most well balanced, most talented, the team that has that pg, the team with a big, role players etc etc. as my "model" team that I compare the rest of the teams to ... yes I look at the strength of schedule, the head to heads, the games won or lost when kids aren't playing (starters ie. Washington CH) etc. and I try my best to be fair and balanced ... do I look at numbers - my napkin stats , yes - do I get lost in my own head sometimes? yes LOL ... 71 teams is 71 teams maybe I should just go "by the numbers" ... NAWWWW! anybody can go "just by the numbers" ... that's why I LIKE the Miami Traces of the world - they AREN'T where they want to be - yet - BUT they HAVE the pieces , the youngin's that NEXT years will be an Elite 8 team in my little mind - I'm watching those guys ! hmmmmm they beat Hillsboro in OT last night !!! they are figuring it out ... those who have sat with me through the first part of the 2021-22 season, our long conversations about hs hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I will defend my ranking of MT, and tell them wait until the 2nd half of the season, or I would NOT want to play them in the post season - they have the big man, they have a quality pg, they have the role players (starting 3 sophs) that once they "figure out" the varsity game, figure out their roles on TEAM they will be darn good ... just saying ... I'm not looking at the numbers LOL (might just have proof in them that what pfloyd does makes him a hack) ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:31 am Dumb.

Waverly is 15 points better than McClain
It’s based solely on wins and wins by the teams you beat. It does not take into account who you lost to (two very good D1 schools).

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:53 am I won't look at them LOL ... I have this in head - my pfloyd understanding/viewpoint as to what "I" feel makes for a good basketball team ... I get out and watch as many games as I can, especially my top 30-35 teams ... I have what I feel is THE most well balanced, most talented, the team that has that pg, the team with a big, role players etc etc. as my "model" team that I compare the rest of the teams to ... yes I look at the strength of schedule, the head to heads, the games won or lost when kids aren't playing (starters ie. Washington CH) etc. and I try my best to be fair and balanced ... do I look at numbers - my napkin stats , yes - do I get lost in my own head sometimes? yes LOL ... 71 teams is 71 teams maybe I should just go "by the numbers" ... NAWWWW! anybody can go "just by the numbers" ... that's why I LIKE the Miami Traces of the world - they AREN'T where they want to be - yet - BUT they HAVE the pieces , the youngin's that NEXT years will be an Elite 8 team in my little mind - I'm watching those guys ! hmmmmm they beat Hillsboro in OT last night !!! they are figuring it out ... those who have sat with me through the first part of the 2021-22 season, our long conversations about hs hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... I will defend my ranking of MT, and tell them wait until the 2nd half of the season, or I would NOT want to play them in the post season - they have the big man, they have a quality pg, they have the role players (starting 3 sophs) that once they "figure out" the varsity game, figure out their roles on TEAM they will be darn good ... just saying ... I'm not looking at the numbers LOL (might just have proof in them that what pfloyd does makes him a hack) ...
One problem we have with the eye test, especially if you're trying to cover so many teams, is you're only getting a 1 game synopsis of most of them. No other level is more erratic than the prep athlete/teams. They change, they improve and are easily influenced from day to day, game to game. If you watched Athens a few weeks ago versus NY, you'd have them on the end table. If you watched their 20 point win over Wellston they'd probably be in the top 25. That's tough. Or take Fed Hock, if you only watched them versus Fairland, you'd have an idea/view stuck in your head about them. But if you watched the Lancers 30 point win over Alexander or win over Waterford - you'd have a completely different idea.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The better teams are typically more consistent and while I agree with seeing a team once can be misleading….you can also see things that maybe aren’t huge to that game but secondary players and their attributes and abilities.

But McClain ahead of Waverly is dumb and something in the formula needs added or adjusted

JoseBurrowse
Waterboy

Post by JoseBurrowse »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:10 pm The better teams are typically more consistent and while I agree with seeing a team once can be misleading….you can also see things that maybe aren’t huge to that game but secondary players and their attributes and abilities.

But McClain ahead of Waverly is dumb and something in the formula needs added or adjusted
Computer rankings do not know if Team A or Team B has better players. Yeah Waverly lost to Newark & UA. But they have 1 win against a +.500 team...McClain already has SEVEN! Why should Waverly be ahead of McClain then?? Because they beat South Webster? Because their roster looks better? Nah...Waverly may be a better team and may beat McClain in a H2H matchup. But an 8-2 team with 7 wins over .500+ teams compared to a 5-3 team with 1 win over a .500+ team deserves to be ranked way higher. Much better resume...TO THIS POINT. Good thing for Waverly is, they have Wheelersburg x2 & the #1 DIV team in the state within the next week. They win those and they'll skyrocket up the rankings.

Thing about rankings in general--they're never perfect. Is the AP Poll always perfect? No. CFP Rankings? No. Will these RPI Rankings always seem perfect? No. But having rankings done by computer models is way better than having media members or committees or coach's votes determine rankings.

As the late, great John Madden always said. You may know who the better team is...But the better team doesn't always win!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

JoseBurrowse wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:53 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:10 pm The better teams are typically more consistent and while I agree with seeing a team once can be misleading….you can also see things that maybe aren’t huge to that game but secondary players and their attributes and abilities.

Computer rankings do not know if Team A or Team B has better players. Yeah Waverly lost to Newark & UA. But they have 1 win against a +.500 team...McClain already has SEVEN! Why should Waverly be ahead of McClain then?? Because they beat South Webster? Because their roster looks better? Nah...Waverly may be a better team and may beat McClain in a H2H matchup. But an 8-2 team with 7 wins over .500+ teams compared to a 5-3 team with 1 win over a .500+ team deserves to be ranked way higher. Much better resume...TO THIS POINT. Good thing for Waverly is, they have Wheelersburg x2 & the #1 DIV team in the state within the next week. They win those and they'll skyrocket up the rankings.

Thing about rankings in general--they're never perfect. Is the AP Poll always perfect? No. CFP Rankings? No. Will these RPI Rankings always seem perfect? No. But having rankings done by computer models is way better than having media members or committees or coach's votes determine rankings.

As the late, great John Madden always said. You may know who the better team is...But the better team doesn't always win!
Because Waverly is better by 15 points

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

McClain is 43 spots ahead of Waverly and Waverly would beat them 17 out of 20 times.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

McClain is the #5 D2 team in the state and they lost to D2 4-5 Jackson and D4 Fayetteville who is now 6-7 on the season.

JoseBurrowse
Waterboy

Post by JoseBurrowse »

After further review...accidentally marked the Jackson game as a dub for McClain. Oops! Fixed it. Hopefully that will rest all y'alls qualms. Lol. Although McClain is still @ 25 with Waverly @ 34 in D2

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

JoseBurrowse wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:31 pm After further review...accidentally marked the Jackson game as a dub for McClain. Oops! Fixed it. Hopefully that will rest all y'alls qualms. Lol. Although McClain is still @ 25 with Waverly @ 34 in D2
Eh…it’s better. My feelings don’t change. A lot of work compiled and I appreciate that part of it.

The opponents opponents record could sway this a bit as you know. Might be a little more statewide accurate (which is very difficult obviously) but do like football (10 games for example and D1 worth 4.0 point, D2 worth 3.5, D3 worth 3.0, D4 worth 2.5 and mix that into equation….or just completely do it like football, which also isn’t perfect. It allows a “luck” of the schedule a bit. Like say a good D4 team played 15 not very good D4 teams that averaged a .500 record as they beat up on each other. Then some D3 wins against teams that also played those same D4 teams….would pile a mess of wins and the opponents opponents part of this equation would still be good even though if it were a strength of schedule type measure it wouldn’t be.

I was wondering how McClain was 5 in the state with 2 losses to sub .500 teams, that didn’t add up at all. McClain is a solid team that might get to the district championship and with right matchup could win one

Return to “Boys Basketball”