Waverly @ Lucasville Valley January 11, 2022

GoAt 10
JV Team

Re: Waverly @ Lucasville Valley January 11, 2022

Post by GoAt 10 »

coop wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:53 pm Very impressive 1st half by Valley, EVEN MORE impressive 2nd half by Waverly...their leaders stepped up and did what they needed to do.

Very entertaining game to watch, looking forward to the 2nd matchup.

D4 may need to watch out for Valley.
I think the lack of depth showed late. They should make a real nice run in D4

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

It's very difficult to shutdown good teams for 4 quarters. Waverly showed why they are the team to beat in the conference and region. Of course, I dont see Valley folding to anyone. Can't wait for the rematch!

SOCS
Waterboy

Post by SOCS »

Trey was Trey in the second half, Will did a great job of carving out space in the lane converting at the basket. Hudson Kelly however was the difference Waverly needed. He played a spectacular game. Made the right reads in the middle of the zone, didn’t turn the ball over and scored 10 points including the momentum swinger going into the 4th. Great game by the young man.
Last edited by SOCS on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

SOCS wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:14 pm Trey was Trey in the second half, Will did a great job of carving out space in the lane converting at the basket. Hudson Kelly however was the difference Waverly needed. He played a spectacular game. Made the right reads in the middle of the zone, didn’t turn the ball over and scored 8 points including the momentum swinger going into the 4th. Great game by the young man.
He was huge for the Tigers.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Agreed. Trey will always get his. The key was to try to limit everyone else. In the second half I thought valley played not to lose and waverly played to win. Good game. Give credit to waverly, they played a heck of a second half to get the win. Valley doesn’t have a reason to hang their heads. They will be fine.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

transplant wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:20 pm Agreed. Trey will always get his. The key was to try to limit everyone else. In the second half I thought valley played not to lose and waverly played to win. Good game. Give credit to waverly, they played a heck of a second half to get the win. Valley doesn’t have a reason to hang their heads. They will be fine.
I sensed this a little bit too when the Tigers cut it to 7, Valley seemed comfortable for a while and then tightened up there down the stretch.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Need to have a few “go to sets” to get 13 or 24, a good look or 1, 4, 13, or 24 going to the basket. Against good defensive teams, can’t run your same offense all half and expect good shots. Especially when playing from behind.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:49 am Waverly by 12
Foul at the end 🤦🏻‍♂️

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

SOCS wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:14 pm Trey was Trey in the second half, Will did a great job of carving out space in the lane converting at the basket. Hudson Kelly however was the difference Waverly needed. He played a spectacular game. Made the right reads in the middle of the zone, didn’t turn the ball over and scored 10 points including the momentum swinger going into the 4th. Great game by the young man.
Will have to agree. Hudson had some big buckets and rebounds at critical times.
Fun game to watch, great crowd.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Good game. Waverly should go far in DII they are solid. Valley should make a nice run in DIV. The SOC II is tough this year and is balanced more than most years. Valley did what they do in the first period and gave themselves a good chance at a win. However, some fouls were called early and it forced an adjustment in Valley's game and it allowed the Tigers to play to their strengths. Two very good teams. Valley last played a game on 12/28, I think the layoff showed in the second half. Hats off to all the young men for fighting until the end. I look forward to the next match up.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

WHAT A GAME WITH A PACKED HOUSE AND TOURNAMENT ATMOSPHERE.

WAVERLY SCORING
Robertson 26 (12 in the 4th) - several assists
Will Futhey 19 (9 in the 4th)
Hudson Kelly 10 (8 second half)
Mark Stulley 4
Wade Futhey 3 (3rd quarter three ball)
Braylon Robertson 3

Waverly was 15-22 from the line

VALLEY SCORING
Bryce Stuart 22 (even through all quarters)
George Arnett 15 (9 first quarter)
Jace Copley 8 (6 in the 1st quarter)
Colt Buckle 7
Tucker Merritt 2

Valley was 9-11 from the line

Robertson 3 away from becoming the Waverly all time leading scorer.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great high school basketball game! Great crowd, great atmosphere! Who’s who of other teams coaches in the crowd! Players giving it their all on the floor. No trash talking or hard fouls! Just a great game. Both teams are loaded and look to me like regional final/ final four state contenders! If valley had one more kid they could bring off the bench to give some starters a breather or when in foul trouble they would be really hard to beat. Lack of a bench, and foul trouble early changed how they had to defend. Good luck to both teams going forward. I hope both teams go undefeated in conference setting up the rematch at Hawhees Palace the last game of the year for the SOC 2 title!

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I have to echo much of what's already been said...two great teams that lived up to every bit of the hype. I just sat there most of the game with a smile on my face, b/c it was truly a joy to watch those young men get after each other and give their teammates everything they had...what high school sports is all about! The crowd was intense...I loved the Valley faithful waving goodbye at the Tigers after the exclamation point they put on the first period..hell of a quarter for the Indians! I've never seen our team panic like that, but we did. Kudos to the kids and the coaching staff for reeling it in a bit and getting back to playing our game. I can't wait for the re-match, and I honestly think the Indians could play in Columbus (I'm not saying anything about our tourney run...yet lol).

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

Agree old-school. The tigers appeared rattled but regrouped and played great the second half. Valley will learn and will get better. Every game is a little different, play with in the context of the bounds set and give it your all. Great game...loved the spirit!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Waverly has improved defensively since last year. This will bode well for them in the tournament

Return to “Boys Basketball”