Letter to all- great read, and so true!!

clevelandbrowns#1
Varsity

Letter to all- great read, and so true!!

Post by clevelandbrowns#1 »

Open letter to: Fans, parents; players, coaches and AD’s.

Keep It Positive!

You may or may not know we are having a shortage of officials. Veteran officials are leaving the game and younger officials are hard to recruit.

There are many reasons but one of the biggest concerns is, in game behavior towards officials.

As a reminder, this is not our job. We do it for the game, we do it for the players; we do it for your children. Yes, we get paid, but for $45 to $70 would you leave work at 5PM, drive an hour away, do a 7:30 game and get home between 9:00 and 10:30, 4 to 5 nights a week? And, have people you never met, yell when you make a call or don’t make a call. Did I mention we have to pay annual fees and dues to the state and local associations? Did I mention we must also attend a number of on-line and local association meetings? And of course, buy uniforms. Would you give up your Friday and Saturday nights for four months for my child?

Yes, some officials are not the most fleet of foot, some are still learning, and some are just not that good, but they are still out there so your children can play. You’re not going to get NCAA officials for your junior high school game. What you get, is a dedicated; passionate person who loves the game.

Shooters don’t make every shot. Football players miss tackles and hold. In MLB baseball the three statistics always shown are Runs, Hits and ERRORS. Yes Errors. The best athletes in the world make mistakes. And so do officials, we are human. The world will not end because of a missed travel.

Imagine doing your job and every 3 minutes, a stranger looks over your shoulder and tells you “You’re horrible”. “You’re doing it wrong”. They may be right, but could you work under those conditions? Would you want to? And it’s become more physical. Just last week alone, there were two incidents where parent fans attacked officials. One was a Tennessee senator!

What makes it worse, is when those people yelling at you have no idea what your job is.

The reason for this letter is to ask for a commitment. If we don’t make changes, youth sports may be in serious trouble. The average high school official is 58 years old. Many games had to be cancelled the last two years due to shortage of officials.

If you’re a parent or a fan, support the players, cheer for them. Just because you paid your $6.00 doesn’t give you the right to scream and yell obscenities to the officials. Cheer for your team. Keep it positive.

If you’re a player, ask your parents to behave, have better social skills. It’s embarrassing to the child when we have to remove a player’s parent. If you want to make a difference, when you’re done with school, become an official we need them.

If you’re a coach or AD, lead by example. Respect the officials, give feedback to your assignors we will work on improving their skills. Demand your parents sign a Code of Conduct at your parent’s meetings. As simple as, “We understand if anyone is anything but positive, to opposing teams, fans or officials, they will be removed from the event. The second time they will be banned for the season”. Remind them every pre-game. Then please enforce it. Zero tolerance.

We hear all the time, “the gym and athletics are an extension of the classroom”. Would you let these things happen in “your” class? We can’t allow it to continue. We have 15 minutes of warm up, make the announcement. AT EVERY GAME. I know no one wants to be the bad guy but their behavior is what caused it. By letting this behavior continue it’s only going to get worse. Set the example.

I am committed to you, to continue to educate officials. I am asking you to commit to helping us keep them on the court.

One of the many reasons fans and even coaches yell and scream, is that they don’t understand NFHS rules.

What you see on TV is not National Federation High School rules. There are at least 5 sets of different rules, between the pro and high school levels. So let me start with a few simple top 10 rules that many people don’t understand, and we hear them every night. Feel free to share these at your parent meetings or send home or give to your players.

1) Over the Back- There is no foul for “over the back”. Over the back means a taller player reached over and secured the ball. Over the back is legal. On the back or pushing through the back to get a ball is illegal. It’s a push.

2) A player, while dribbling can fumble the ball all the way down the court legally. As long as it’s not intentional. It is impossible to travel if you don’t have control of the ball. It’s ugly but we have no call for ugly.

3) A dribbler who lets the ball bounce high, even over their head has not “carried” the ball. It is a high dribble. As long as the hand doesn’t go under to “carry” or come to rest in the hand, the dribble is legal.

4) Three seconds in the key. This only applies while the ball is in the front court. “If a player has been in for less than three seconds and dribbles in or attempts a goal no call should be made”.

The three second count restarts on every shot attempt and doesn’t start until the team has control of the rebound. So yes, a player could be in the key for 10 or more seconds if attempts are being made to score.

5) A player diving for a lose-ball, even once securing the ball, can slide any distance without traveling. It is only if the player rolls over to avoid a defender or attempts to get up without dribbling that a violation occurs.

6) A “box out” is securing a position on the floor. Displacement is pushing somebody off a position and is illegal. A player can not crash into an opponent as a box out. That is a foul.

7) A kick violation was changed to an intentional act, so if a player throws the ball off a foot or a leg it is not a violation. Only an intentional kick is a violation.

8) The definition of a foul is: Illegal contact, on an opponent, during a live ball, that hinders their ability to make an offensive or defensive play.

Therefore:

1) A moving screen with no contact is not illegal. An illegal screen is when a player does not set a legal screen and makes contact or once contact is made, then makes illegal contact.

2) Not all contact is a foul. There can be contact that doesn’t “hinder” a player’s ability to make the play. High school athletes can play through some contact.

9) A player does not have to be “set” to take a charge. Once “legal guarding position” is established, the defender can move sideways, backwards and even jump and still be legal. (Legal Guarding Position = both feet on the floor facing their opponent)

10) All four sides of the backboard are in bounds (on a square backboard). The ball can legally bounce on the top of the backboard, roll on the top and fall into the basket and be a good goal. Over the backboard from either side or touching any of the support straps, springs or cables cause the ball to be out of bounds

These are the top 10 rules that are misunderstood. There are plenty more, but this is a good start

Let’s all make an effort to keep the kids playing. We need your help.

Keep It Positive! Please.

Gregg Becker

Wood County Basketball Officials Association

Rules Interpreter

Pat
Varsity

Re: Letter to all- great read, and so true!!

Post by Pat »

There really is no need for a letter like this. The only thing needed to get at least half the fans who complain about officials to stop complaining so much is for all officials to call the game equally. Stop favoring one team, player or coach over the other. Treat everyone the same. If the best player on the team commits his/her 5th foul call it on him/her instead of looking and searching for another player in the are to call it on so you can keep the "good" player in the game. Stop cowering down to certain coaches because of their reputation, or their success or whatever. And if you have an opinion on who you want to win, don't do that game. Last but not least, stop going into games thinking, some even verbalize it, "man this is going to be a BS game and the one team will certainly beat the pants off of the other team." All of the above cause many officials to favor one team, player or coach over another. And none of that has to do with the ability or lack of the official. It's the mindset and anyone can change and/or improve in that area with little to no effort. So, if you want more fan support start with this and I think you will be surprised how well it works. Preach this to all the officials instead of preaching to the fans.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

How about heavy body contact by the defender that forces offensive player in different direction. I've seen many traps where heavy body contact by two defenders literally knock players down. Isn't that a foul.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Pat wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:46 am There really is no need for a letter like this. The only thing needed to get at least half the fans who complain about officials to stop complaining so much is for all officials to call the game equally. Stop favoring one team, player or coach over the other. Treat everyone the same. If the best player on the team commits his/her 5th foul call it on him/her instead of looking and searching for another player in the are to call it on so you can keep the "good" player in the game. Stop cowering down to certain coaches because of their reputation, or their success or whatever. And if you have an opinion on who you want to win, don't do that game. Last but not least, stop going into games thinking, some even verbalize it, "man this is going to be a BS game and the one team will certainly beat the pants off of the other team." All of the above cause many officials to favor one team, player or coach over another. And none of that has to do with the ability or lack of the official. It's the mindset and anyone can change and/or improve in that area with little to no effort. So, if you want more fan support start with this and I think you will be surprised how well it works. Preach this to all the officials instead of preaching to the fans.
How long you been calling games, Pat?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:30 am Open letter to: Fans, parents; players, coaches and AD’s.

Keep It Positive!

You may or may not know we are having a shortage of officials. Veteran officials are leaving the game and younger officials are hard to recruit.

There are many reasons but one of the biggest concerns is, in game behavior towards officials.

As a reminder, this is not our job. We do it for the game, we do it for the players; we do it for your children. Yes, we get paid, but for $45 to $70 would you leave work at 5PM, drive an hour away, do a 7:30 game and get home between 9:00 and 10:30, 4 to 5 nights a week? And, have people you never met, yell when you make a call or don’t make a call. Did I mention we have to pay annual fees and dues to the state and local associations? Did I mention we must also attend a number of on-line and local association meetings? And of course, buy uniforms. Would you give up your Friday and Saturday nights for four months for my child?

Yes, some officials are not the most fleet of foot, some are still learning, and some are just not that good, but they are still out there so your children can play. You’re not going to get NCAA officials for your junior high school game. What you get, is a dedicated; passionate person who loves the game.

Shooters don’t make every shot. Football players miss tackles and hold. In MLB baseball the three statistics always shown are Runs, Hits and ERRORS. Yes Errors. The best athletes in the world make mistakes. And so do officials, we are human. The world will not end because of a missed travel.

Imagine doing your job and every 3 minutes, a stranger looks over your shoulder and tells you “You’re horrible”. “You’re doing it wrong”. They may be right, but could you work under those conditions? Would you want to? And it’s become more physical. Just last week alone, there were two incidents where parent fans attacked officials. One was a Tennessee senator!

What makes it worse, is when those people yelling at you have no idea what your job is.

The reason for this letter is to ask for a commitment. If we don’t make changes, youth sports may be in serious trouble. The average high school official is 58 years old. Many games had to be cancelled the last two years due to shortage of officials.

If you’re a parent or a fan, support the players, cheer for them. Just because you paid your $6.00 doesn’t give you the right to scream and yell obscenities to the officials. Cheer for your team. Keep it positive.

If you’re a player, ask your parents to behave, have better social skills. It’s embarrassing to the child when we have to remove a player’s parent. If you want to make a difference, when you’re done with school, become an official we need them.

If you’re a coach or AD, lead by example. Respect the officials, give feedback to your assignors we will work on improving their skills. Demand your parents sign a Code of Conduct at your parent’s meetings. As simple as, “We understand if anyone is anything but positive, to opposing teams, fans or officials, they will be removed from the event. The second time they will be banned for the season”. Remind them every pre-game. Then please enforce it. Zero tolerance.

We hear all the time, “the gym and athletics are an extension of the classroom”. Would you let these things happen in “your” class? We can’t allow it to continue. We have 15 minutes of warm up, make the announcement. AT EVERY GAME. I know no one wants to be the bad guy but their behavior is what caused it. By letting this behavior continue it’s only going to get worse. Set the example.

I am committed to you, to continue to educate officials. I am asking you to commit to helping us keep them on the court.

One of the many reasons fans and even coaches yell and scream, is that they don’t understand NFHS rules.

What you see on TV is not National Federation High School rules. There are at least 5 sets of different rules, between the pro and high school levels. So let me start with a few simple top 10 rules that many people don’t understand, and we hear them every night. Feel free to share these at your parent meetings or send home or give to your players.

1) Over the Back- There is no foul for “over the back”. Over the back means a taller player reached over and secured the ball. Over the back is legal. On the back or pushing through the back to get a ball is illegal. It’s a push.

2) A player, while dribbling can fumble the ball all the way down the court legally. As long as it’s not intentional. It is impossible to travel if you don’t have control of the ball. It’s ugly but we have no call for ugly.

3) A dribbler who lets the ball bounce high, even over their head has not “carried” the ball. It is a high dribble. As long as the hand doesn’t go under to “carry” or come to rest in the hand, the dribble is legal.

4) Three seconds in the key. This only applies while the ball is in the front court. “If a player has been in for less than three seconds and dribbles in or attempts a goal no call should be made”.

The three second count restarts on every shot attempt and doesn’t start until the team has control of the rebound. So yes, a player could be in the key for 10 or more seconds if attempts are being made to score.

5) A player diving for a lose-ball, even once securing the ball, can slide any distance without traveling. It is only if the player rolls over to avoid a defender or attempts to get up without dribbling that a violation occurs.

6) A “box out” is securing a position on the floor. Displacement is pushing somebody off a position and is illegal. A player can not crash into an opponent as a box out. That is a foul.

7) A kick violation was changed to an intentional act, so if a player throws the ball off a foot or a leg it is not a violation. Only an intentional kick is a violation.

8) The definition of a foul is: Illegal contact, on an opponent, during a live ball, that hinders their ability to make an offensive or defensive play.

Therefore:

1) A moving screen with no contact is not illegal. An illegal screen is when a player does not set a legal screen and makes contact or once contact is made, then makes illegal contact.

2) Not all contact is a foul. There can be contact that doesn’t “hinder” a player’s ability to make the play. High school athletes can play through some contact.

9) A player does not have to be “set” to take a charge. Once “legal guarding position” is established, the defender can move sideways, backwards and even jump and still be legal. (Legal Guarding Position = both feet on the floor facing their opponent)

10) All four sides of the backboard are in bounds (on a square backboard). The ball can legally bounce on the top of the backboard, roll on the top and fall into the basket and be a good goal. Over the backboard from either side or touching any of the support straps, springs or cables cause the ball to be out of bounds

These are the top 10 rules that are misunderstood. There are plenty more, but this is a good start

Gregg Becker

Rules Interpreter
For #1.

It may not be over the back but when I yell “PUSH” really loud, it sounds I’m screaming an alternative name for a cat 😁

On a serious note and I’ve mentioned this before….the offensive post guy on the block can push with full exertion on the defensive guy trying to box out and I’ve seen it called 0 times in my life. The guy nearest the basket supposedly has the best position but if both players start what they are doing at the same time….even if the guy in “position” is a bit quicker to his spot/job, the offensive player is just pushing forward in a direct path with all of their strength while guy trying to box him out either has just landed his foot in the lane or in an athletic box out position but no time to match the strength of the serious push by the offensive guy.

If the reply by any ref is to get stronger….you could say the same every time a player gets displaced from his line of path or bumped throughout the game which gets called all throughout the game (and should)…in my instance the weaker player could definitely push the stronger player forward to give himself a much better chance for the rebound…forward is stronger than backwards unless a huge huge difference in size and strength.

Note, this isn’t a big issue but it’s always bothered me to why it never ever has been called.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Officiating is not an easy job, and I have found that out by doing some myself. The most common thing I hear during a game is......"call them both ways". Officiating is not necessarily about calling them "both ways", because there are 2 teams playing who may have completely different playing styles, therefore the calls most generally will not even out in free throw shots, the number of fouls, or the type of fouls called.

Fans have a right to voice their opinion but should absolutely not make their complaints personal or insulting. Officials know that fans will question calls from time to time and most accept some degree of that as long as it's civil.

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

I love it when the loud mouths get throwed out!!!!! Every team has a few fans that are just loud mouth trouble makers!! Usually same stooges who pull this crap every game....Beeeeeooootch about every call...most know nothing!!! Each teams fan base know who their bad actors are.....Most of us just sit there watching them make an ARSE of themselves hoping the Officiating Crew will Toss their sorry Arse out.... I love it when they take that walk of shame out of the Arena!!!!! lol

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

clevelandbrowns#1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:30 am Open letter to: Fans, parents; players, coaches and AD’s.

Keep It Positive!

Therefore:

Gregg Becker

Rules Interpreter
Good read

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

mrwonderful wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:34 pm I love it when the loud mouths get throwed out!!!!! Every team has a few fans that are just loud mouth trouble makers!! Usually same stooges who pull this crap every game....Beeeeeooootch about every call...most know nothing!!! Each teams fan base know who their bad actors are.....Most of us just sit there watching them make an ARSE of themselves hoping the Officiating Crew will Toss their sorry Arse out.... I love it when they take that walk of shame out of the Arena!!!!! lol
8-)

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Not gona lie I learned something about a couple rules o👌

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

I have done some officiating in the past. My biggest thing is be consistent.
If its a foul in first half shouldnt it be in second.
When dribbling down the floor I have seen the defensive man body him down the floor and no call, if he is hindering his way why not a foul.
I yell but dont and never will make it personal.
I have seen some really good games called by some of the younger guys this year.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Maybe I make it a habit of going to see "good games" - between quality teams to begin with but watching quality teams means we usually have equally "quality officiating" crews to work those games as well ... crabs brother, clevelandbrowns#1 you guys do it right! I SEE the things that are being brought up - the consistency in the calls for 32 minutes etc. one of the positives about keeping napkin stats on every game I attend - I don't say a word LOL ... I HEAR a WHOLE LOT of "STUFF" and laugh it off ... this years' line of lines directed toward an officiating crew was when a lady was ejected for harassing a crew, then as she was leaving she yelled out - "What you are doing is organized child abuse!!!" - THAT was a first time I had heard THAT one used LOL - it made my napkin stat sheet ... as I have posted many times - the crews in SEO are some of the best ... when I leave the game I don't feel the outcome was controlled/dictated by those in stripes - well done !!!

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

When the level of play isn’t very good, the officiating isn’t going to look very good

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Super trooper wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm When the level of play isn’t very good, the officiating isn’t going to look very good
... good point ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:26 pm
Super trooper wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm When the level of play isn’t very good, the officiating isn’t going to look very good
... good point ...
... the officiating crews enjoy calling games vs "good" teams - not just good talent wise quality teams but teams that KNOW how to play the game, teams that ARE respectful on the court to opposing players and the officials ... when I was at the SOCS Wireless Classic in Waverly - Logan Elm played Columbus Bishop Ready - great game ... 2 good teams ... Dave Hopkins one of the officials who did that game, came up into the Cheap Seats following that game - told me "THAT was an easy game, 2 great teams, 2 great coaches, both teams know how to play the game, both teams' players are some of the most respectful that he has run across this season" ... Hoppy told me to make sure I said something about how BOTH LE and Ready made their matchup a pleasure to work on the court - THAT is what outstanding teachers/coaches do ... it's more than just winning - it's learning life lessons as well - Coach Stiverson of LE has always made sure his TEAMS , the players respect the game, the opposing players, the officials working the games ( as they school you on the court as to how the game should be played LOL) ... well done Coaches Stiverson, Holbert, Dropsey of LE along with the Ready coaching staff as well - your kids represented themselves, TEAM and their respective schools with class - it was noticed, gets noticed by the crews on the court ... well done - thanks Hoppy ...

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

Good post.

Couple people hit on the biggest issues I’ve seen. Consistency. If it’s a foul at the beginning it should be at the end of the game too. Referees swallowing their whistles at the end of the game as to not influence game are doing just that. A foul is a foul.

The biggest issue I have is all the contact allowed towards someone dribbling the basketball. What was called a reach before is “good defense” now. Maybe it’s me but there are 4 or 5 teams locally who literally reach and slap the entire game. They do it so much that the referees seem to become accustomed to it. I’ve seen these teams play this style from the opening tip and commit 3 fouls in a half. Completely impossible. Then you will see the referees look up at the scoreboard because they know it looks bad. But I don’t blame the teams because obviously it works for them. What is allowed by the rule book as far as defending the dribble? Are you allowed to put your hands on the dribbler? Is a reach with contact a foul?

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Good Post. It's not an easy job at all, it just looks that way from some fan's perspective sitting up in the bleachers. Due to the speed of the game, no doubt basketball is probably the most difficult sport to officiate. Having been an official in years past, and having to make quick judgement calls a lot of the time, I know that I made mistakes, as I'm pretty sure that most officials would say the same think. Thank God, at least up until now, I just hope that we never ever have to worry about having "Instant Replay" or "Official Review" in High School sports. Lol

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

peake71 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:10 pm I have done some officiating in the past. My biggest thing is be consistent.
If its a foul in first half shouldnt it be in second.
When dribbling down the floor I have seen the defensive man body him down the floor and no call, if he is hindering his way why not a foul.
I yell but dont and never will make it personal.
I have seen some really good games called by some of the younger guys this year.
Exactly my thoughts.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

My son got his license this year, he's a sophomore. Would like to see more high-school players get their license. Good way to make gas money. I haven't went to any games he's done yet. He told me he just laughs when fans holler, most of them don't know what their talking about anyway.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Right or wrong, the stands, and now the internet, have always been filled with expert coaching and officiating from folks that have not done neither. Personal abuse shouldn't be tolerated because the officials aren't doing the duty to get rich or even make a living.

Return to “Boys Basketball”