Dangerous Tournament Teams

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Dangerous Tournament Teams

Post by Ironman92 »

Let’s list the dangerous tournament teams…teams that won’t have more than 1 home game.

D2

Jackson fits this criteria. Will likely be around .500 at draw. Typically tough on defense and some athletes which could be interesting in tournament. 6’4 Logan Miller returning (if it happens) would add a dynamic a bit to teams that have already seen them.

Warren Local…..some talent and Maddox and they make this list for me.

Vinton County….improving, great coach and a mix of kids that can score a basketball

Hillsboro…..not sure how high they’ll be seeded but guessing they’ll be in this mix. If an Ethan Parry gets warm in a given game mixed in with their typical play….they are dangerous to several potential matchups.

New Lexington….always on this list or the cusp of this list

Gallia Academy…..depending on seeding but likely fit the criteria, a definite matchup issue for most and good guards

D3

Wheelersburg….they won’t be highly seeded which is rare so therefore they make this list. A Wheelersburg team will never be overlooked.

Meigs….their style along with being pretty good, could be a longer tourney run than most would guess

Alexander…..having an elite player gets you on this list. D’Augustino is that.

Zane Trace…..hard to put them here as their preseason expectations were big. Fit the criteria most likely with seeding.

North Adams….trending up and improving

Westfall…..have a high potential ceiling they have shown a time or two already

Chesapeake…..well coached and have shown some high output games

Piketon….Piketon kids will always scrap and have a tournament type style

D4

Symmes Valley…..won’t get the high enough seed to get a couple home games. Group of seniors have shown some talent for years. This team is a pretty good D4 team and they have one of the greatest assistant coaches in the history of the SE district.

South Gallia….maybe just a 1 game upset but Hammond a solid player and they can upset someone

Waterford….won’t be a big seed and fits the criteria

Whiteoak….hearing Barnett could return in a couple weeks. Beeler’s development while Barnett is out could be a team improving thing when all healthy. Took Eastern Brown to the wire at Eastern

Peebles…..Arey, that is all

Notre Dame…..big expectations haven’t turned that way, still dangerous

Paint Valley….two big time players make you very dangerous in SE district D4

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Dangerous Tournament Teams

Post by 93Bulldog »

Waterford is (9-3) and the Hocking brings a chunk of votes to the draw if they stick together. They will be one of the upper seed teams I think.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I'm going to throw portsmouth in there 🤪

Having watched the Trojans for many years their success in post season has been pretty good even in down years and I know this years team has the potential, no doubt in my mind they can compete .

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:10 pm Waterford is (9-3) and the Hocking brings a chunk of votes to the draw if they stick together. They will be one of the upper seed teams I think.
True….I gave Fed Hock their spot though

Trimble
Valley
Western
All will have tremendous records….South Webster and Fairfield and Symmes Valley will get some love there too.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

I was impressed by what I saw out of New Lex, wouldn't want to play them again if they're hitting their shots.

Go Blue
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whs95fan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:33 pm I was impressed by what I saw out of New Lex, wouldn't want to play them again if they're hitting their shots.
They are often pretty unknown on this site…thanks for the input

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

I would throw in Portsmouth and West

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FIDO wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm I would throw in Portsmouth and West

Yes ,West has a really good team ,when Dixon is on they are hard to handle

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

biggdowgg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:18 pm I'm going to throw portsmouth in there 🤪

Having watched the Trojans for many years their success in post season has been pretty good even in down years and I know this years team has the potential, no doubt in my mind they can compete .
Agree….I should have included them

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

FIDO wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 pm I would throw in Portsmouth and West
Agree…brain fart. West is most obvious, unless they upset the big shots and run the table and get a high seed

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:59 pm Let’s list the dangerous tournament teams…teams that won’t have more than 1 home game.

D2

Jackson fits this criteria. Will likely be around .500 at draw. Typically tough on defense and some athletes which could be interesting in tournament. 6’4 Logan Miller returning (if it happens) would add a dynamic a bit to teams that have already seen them.

Warren Local…..some talent and Maddox and they make this list for me.

Vinton County….improving, great coach and a mix of kids that can score a basketball

Hillsboro…..not sure how high they’ll be seeded but guessing they’ll be in this mix. If an Ethan Parry gets warm in a given game mixed in with their typical play….they are dangerous to several potential matchups.

New Lexington….always on this list or the cusp of this list

Gallia Academy…..depending on seeding but likely fit the criteria, a definite matchup issue for most and good guards

D3

Wheelersburg….they won’t be highly seeded which is rare so therefore they make this list. A Wheelersburg team will never be overlooked.

Meigs….their style along with being pretty good, could be a longer tourney run than most would guess

Alexander…..having an elite player gets you on this list. D’Augustino is that.

Zane Trace…..hard to put them here as their preseason expectations were big. Fit the criteria most likely with seeding.

North Adams….trending up and improving

Westfall…..have a high potential ceiling they have shown a time or two already

Chesapeake…..well coached and have shown some high output games

Piketon….Piketon kids will always scrap and have a tournament type style

D4

Symmes Valley…..won’t get the high enough seed to get a couple home games. Group of seniors have shown some talent for years. This team is a pretty good D4 team and they have one of the greatest assistant coaches in the history of the SE district.

South Gallia….maybe just a 1 game upset but Hammond a solid player and they can upset someone

Waterford….won’t be a big seed and fits the criteria

Whiteoak….hearing Barnett could return in a couple weeks. Beeler’s development while Barnett is out could be a team improving thing when all healthy. Took Eastern Brown to the wire at Eastern

Peebles…..Arey, that is all

Notre Dame…..big expectations haven’t turned that way, still dangerous

Paint Valley….two big time players make you very dangerous in SE district D4
... North Adams is a dangerous team - they played what has to be their best or least most complete game of the season vs South Point Saturday ... they were never "NOT" in control, it wasn't just a one man show with Copas (24 points) the contributions from the entire team was outstanding, answering threes with threes ... I was impressed that although Copas IS the go to guy for NA - in THIS game - the entire TEAM looked in control, knew what they were doing, no one was "looking" for Copas to be the guy ... it was a great game to watch by North Adams ...

Whiteoak was really really athletic across the board! I liked the fact that they had no "holes" in their lineup - Ashbaugh is THAT GUY for WHS but they have some really nice players - Logan Bieler is very good at both ends of the floors , the entire TEAM gets after it on D ... Luken Roades - hit a couple 3's ... if they get Barnett back - I wouldn't want to play them in the post season as their record will have them matched up vs a top seed ...

Chesapeake will be tough for anyone - Blankenship,Maynard, Bragg are as quick as they come - they can get to the rim or bury you from downtown ... vs Eastern Brown they couldn't hit the ocean in the first half going into the half trailing by 11 points ... they Blankenship dropped 3 treys in the 3rd (13 points) got the Panthers back in the game trailing 41-46 ... never got over the hump vs a very good, well coached EB squad (they're in the Elite 8 for a reason LOL) ... no size for CHS - no one over 6-0 tall ... BUT you better bring your "A" game especially in the one and done season ...

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg will be dangerous if they get Clark back. Doesn’t look promising though.

West and Portsmouth are two I would not want to draw. Nor Ironton.

AHS_Stephens
JV Team

Post by AHS_Stephens »

Athens is heating up after a poor start, the schedule gets a bit difficult then get back into winnable games but if they win games down the stretch and gain momentum they may be able to make a small run in the tournament.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth (5-6) will only be dangerous if they can play more consistent basketball. Talent and athletic wise, they can match about anybody in the SE D3 district. Consistency wise, they haven't shown it thus far, even with a convincing win at South Point. That could change this week with games at home vs. Chesapeake and Fairland. Win those 2 games and I would label the Trojans as a team that you don't want to see in your bracket.

Portsmouth West has maybe the best win in SE D3 all season, winning at Fairland. Jesse Dixon is having an outstanding senior season, while Ryan Sissel is a load to handle in the paint.

Not too much talk about Minford, but the Falcons have already beaten Waverly and destroyed Portsmouth. The Falcons should be considered dangerous because they can score inside with Zimmerman or knock a lot of 3's down like they did vs. PHS.

Despite their lack of size, Chesapeake's style of uptempo play will be a difficult matchup for anyone. Ironton has some talent, but right now they're hard to gauge since they haven't played in a while. They did beat Gallia Academy.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:19 pm Portsmouth (5-6) will only be dangerous if they can play more consistent basketball. Talent and athletic wise, they can match about anybody in the SE D3 district. Consistency wise, they haven't shown it thus far, even with a convincing win at South Point. That could change this week with games at home vs. Chesapeake and Fairland. Win those 2 games and I would label the Trojans as a team that you don't want to see in your bracket.

Portsmouth West has maybe the best win in SE D3 all season, winning at Fairland. Jesse Dixon is having an outstanding senior season, while Ryan Sissel is a load to handle in the paint.

Not too much talk about Minford, but the Falcons have already beaten Waverly and destroyed Portsmouth. The Falcons should be considered dangerous because they can score inside with Zimmerman or knock a lot of 3's down like they did vs. PHS.

Despite their lack of size, Chesapeake's style of uptempo play will be a difficult matchup for anyone. Ironton has some talent, but right now they're hard to gauge since they haven't played in a while. They did beat Gallia Academy.
I have Minford as a very high seed, therefore not fitting the criteria of this thread

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironman92: I understand your point about Minford, but to me the definition of "dangerous" is a team that can win against a higher seed on their court. Portsmouth winning at South Point would be an example. Portsmouth West winning at Fairland is another. I know those are regular season games, but something akin to that could happen in the sectional tournaments.

Return to “Boys Basketball”