Miller (3-11)

... Teams on the End Table ...

Adena (1-11)
Rdsville Eastern (1-12)
Portsmouth East (2-8)
Portsmouth Clay (0-15)
Crooksville (0-12)
West Union (0-11)
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week 7

Post by 93Bulldog »

Either Wellston is to high or Athens to low. The Bulldogs beat them by 20 and it was no fluke.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:17 pm Either Wellston is to high or Athens to low. The Bulldogs beat them by 20 and it was no fluke.
IF your darn Bulldogs could be just a little more consistent please !!! lose to everyone then beat Wellston, Alexander jeeeeese !!! LOL

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

#59 beat #14

Has there been a bigger gap?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Not sure how that happened after seeing Western this weekend ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:35 pm #59 beat #14

Has there been a bigger gap?
Let me do some research, but I bet we might have beat that last year when we lost at Westfall

Edit, just because this is funny. Ours was #54 beat #9, so I was wrong, only a push.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Warren starting to get some of the freshman more minutes and Stadelman has been averaging just under 10 a game the past 3 or 4 which is a positive sign in an offense that just hasn't been there. They host Morgan on Tuesday for their first home game in 2 weeks.

Go Blue
peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Still move up 1 after that loss yesterday, just came out cold and played from behind.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Pfloyd's take on Western Pike after seeing Western beat Ripley 78-42 this past weekend at the Coach Young Classic @ North Adams. I had the pleasure to talk to Western Asst. Coach Jonathan Buckler before the game and then Head Coach Doug Williams after the game Saturday at NA. WHS went up against a Ripley team that has a big man in the middle at 6-5 or 6-6... not a player you are going to move inside ... Ripley has length with 2,3 player in the 6-3 ranges as well ... Western doesn't have size maybe 6-2 with Chase Carter ... I wouldn't say Western has THAT game dominant player either BUT I WOULD say that Western is one of the best TEAMS that I have seen this season ... players who work together - pieces that come together as TEAM ... outstanding defensive team, one of the best rebounding TEAMS I have seen - they ALL get after the boards at both ends (Trimble like) ... Ripley had many one and done possessions due to the defensive rebounding of WHS ... vs Ripley the Indians were able to get out in transition / push the ball in open court which negates the lack of size ... vs Ripley the Indians had 9 fgs in transition/18 points ... napkin stat impressions that I wrote down :
* TEAM play at both ends
* "D" minded
* Outstanding rotation/switching on the defensive end
* "up in 'em on D"
* Outstanding rebounding position/quick off the floor
* Push the ball off of defensive boards
* Push the ball off of made shots
* 32 minutes of in your face D
* Attack - the TEAM has shirts that read simply "ATTACK" - Western attacks the rim offensively, they attack on defense

... probably an issue if there IS an issue would be playing in the half court , I know the coaches pointed this out to me BUT even without a true "big " down low Chase Carter is SOLID ! he had 18 points vs Ripley ... not flashy, doesn't jump out of the gym by any means BUT he gets position, works hard in the paint, gets to the rim, has good touch around the rim ... you WANT this kid on your TEAM ... if you have to pick out THE guy - Noah Whitt is THE GUY for Western - consistent, handles the ball, finds the open man, scores the ball inside/ outside ... 24 points vs Ripley ... role players : Drew Haggy (7 pts) ... Kolten Miller (12 pts/ a whole bunch of dimes) ... Reed Brewster/Kam Janes both play D, rebound the ball ... then bring in Sean Kerns - 11 pts, 3 treys off the bench, he is non stop energy when he comes off the bench at 5-6 or 5-7 he is tough as nails ... outrebounded the 6-6+ big man in the paint for Ripley - got rebounding position, put his body on the big man and battled for the board AND got it ... Kerns can be on my team any day ...

... Napkin Stat line vs Ripley for Western

3 pointers ... 6/15 ... Sean Kerns 3, Noah Whitt 2, Chase Carter 1
FTs ... 14/15
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 21 fgs/ 42 points in the paint
PnT ... 9 fgs/18 points in the transition game
Pbk ... 3 fgs off of offensive boards

... the Indians Defense forced 15 turnovers, held the much bigger Ripley team to 14 fgs in the paint/28 points ... only gave up 1 fg in transition ... only 1 player scored in double figures for Ripley (Gabe Fyfe 14 points/held scoreless in the 4th) ...

... I told Coach Williams after watching his Indians play that Western was not the most talented team I've seen, BUT they might just be the best TEAM I have seen ... one thing that I have noticed about the top teams in D4 this season - they all are very similar ... active defensively, pressure the ball 32 minutes (Western/Trimble/Valley) ... they want to push the ball ... the transition game IS a big part of the offense ... none of these teams have a lot of size - Valley with 6-4 Stuart and 6-8 Levi Stewart ... Trimble/Western are similar in size with their "bigs" being in the 6-1 range (Blake Guffey for Trimble/ Chase Carter for Western) ... I liked what I saw in the Indians of Coach Williams ... a very good basketball TEAM ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:34 pm Warren starting to get some of the freshman more minutes and Stadelman has been averaging just under 10 a game the past 3 or 4 which is a positive sign in an offense that just hasn't been there. They host Morgan on Tuesday for their first home game in 2 weeks.
... I like Stadelman, I see him being that outside threat as he has shown he can knock down the 3 ball , playing better defense ... looks like he can play the varsity game , I liked him when he came in the opening game vs Reico Colter of Washington CH - the varsity stage wasn't too big for him ... Stadelman/Pettey/Sallee/Taylor can score some points imo ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 pm
93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:17 pm Either Wellston is to high or Athens to low. The Bulldogs beat them by 20 and it was no fluke.
IF your darn Bulldogs could be just a little more consistent please !!! lose to everyone then beat Wellston, Alexander jeeeeese !!! LOL
They are playing much better since the break ... But, the first part of my post indicated Wellston was too high. lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

North Adams 59
South Point 43 a final

The Pointers entered this one having already lost 2 games in the Week That IS - dropping one to Chesapeake and then to Portsmouth before coming to NA to try put an end to the skid vs the #48 Green Devils of Coach Nathan Copas (when you cross West of Rt 23 you have to specify WHICH Copas you are talking about! - as they all coach somewhere !) South Point of the OVC taking on North Adams of the SHAC - SP was literally and figuratively "out of their league" vs the Green Devils last night ... NA jumped out to a 9-0 lead and never looked back ... NA might have put together their best or at least most complete game of the season in beating South Point 59-43 ...

Quarter scores:

South Point ..... 07 ... 20 ... 34 ... 43
North Adams ... 16 ... 27 .... 43 ... 59

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkins Stats - South Point

Scoring ... Mason Kazee 23, Jake Adams 8, Xander Dornon 6, Caleb Schneider 2, Carter Smith 2, Jordan Ermalovich 2
3 Pointers ... 7/19 ... Mason Kazee 5, James Adams 2
FTs ... 0/4
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 9 fgs/ 18 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

... Mason Kazee IS a player ... one the best offensive players in SEO ... last night he didn't get much help from anyone else ... NA took away the boards at both ends ... 8 TOs in the first 2 periods didn't help the cause ... as the Pointers lost their 3rd game in the week ... having already knocked off Fairland at home by 3 points , SP goes on the road Tuesday for the back end of the home and home in league play at Fairland ... big matchup as SP tries to stop the 3 games slide and 2 straight losses to OVC opponents ...

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - North Adams

Scoring ... Bransyn Copas 24, Avery Anderson 10, Caleb Rothwell 7, Jaycee Rothwell 6, Cameron Campbell 5, Carson Osborne 5, Kamden Bettelwerth 2
3 Pointers ... 7/17 ... Bransyn Copas 4, Caleb Rothwell 1, Cameron Campbell 1, Carson Osborne 1
FTs ... 10/10
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 11 fgs/ 22 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 0

... This was the 2nd time I had seen Bransyn Copas (25 points vs Fairland) the sophomore guard can do it all - defense, brings the ball up court vs pressure which he had to deal with vs SP all night as did the entire NA backcourt - only 10 turnovers is outstanding as SP is as quick as you will find on the perimeter defensively ... I was impressed with the contributions of scoring for NA in this one - the contributions from across the board - clutch 3 pointers from Caleb Rothwell/ Cameron Campbell in the 3rd period when Kazee was raining treys for SP were huge - helping NA keep separation ... Copas with 24 points would seem to be THE man - he IS - this was a great TEAM win vs a very good Pointer team ... 10/10 from the FT line "don't hurt" the cause coming down the stretch in the 4th period as Avery Anderson/Cameron Campbell got it done on the line and along with Jaycee Rothwell they took what the SP defense gave NA in the 4th period taking it to the rim and converting ... I have to give props to Avery Anderson - the young man played an outstanding game in the paint for NA ... on the boards at both ends, he had a BIG 10 points for NA as they all seemed at key moments when SP was trying to get back in the game - nice player for NA ...

JustAnObserver
Waterboy

Post by JustAnObserver »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:57 pm Not sure how that happened after seeing Western this weekend ...
This isn’t the only reason or an excuse…Western should have handled New Boston (at NB), but it Was their 9th game in 18 days to start the season…including 4 wIns versus SVC schools and tough win at Norte Dame.
Then they turned around the next game and lost a tough close one at Symmes Valley. That was their 10th game in 21 days.
After that the schedule normalized, they got a nice break around Christmas, and they’ve been on the gas ever since.
Again, no excuses. A loss is a loss. But maybe…

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

JustAnObserver wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:20 am
pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:57 pm Not sure how that happened after seeing Western this weekend ...
This isn’t the only reason or an excuse…Western should have handled New Boston (at NB), but it Was their 9th game in 18 days to start the season…including 4 wIns versus SVC schools and tough win at Norte Dame.
Then they turned around the next game and lost a tough close one at Symmes Valley. That was their 10th game in 21 days.
After that the schedule normalized, they got a nice break around Christmas, and they’ve been on the gas ever since.
Again, no excuses. A loss is a loss. But maybe…
... just an observation on my part too, as good of rebounding team as Western IS, when I watched Symmes Valley vs Valley at Ironton I came away thinking that even in the loss to Valley, Symmes Valley was a very very good rebounding team as they crashed the boards hard... it would be interesting to me to know if Symmes Valley outrebounded Western in that Indian loss ... just crossed my mind comparing these 2 teams ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Going to be the 3rd week in the 2022 portion of the season! when's the seeding draw? - first week in February? teams are making their 2nd run through their league schedules ... I know that Fairland entertains South Point on Tuesday - Rd #2 ... most teams have figured it out - role players, who's THAT guy(s), rotations are being settled into ... the questions at the beginning of the season are being answered - fun time of the year ...

... the Pfloyd Tour is back on the road Tuesday night as I'll make the short trip up Rt 664, in my backyard sorta - Logan @ Sheridan (will get my first eyes on Sheridan this season ... Wednesday (if the schedule reads correctly) Fairfield Union travels to Washington CH to take on the Blue Lions ... Friday night I have some choices ( North Adams vs Fairfield Leesburg or Waverly vs Minford) I really would like to see Fairfield in person & vs a much improved NA squad would be perfect ... Waverly at the downtown arena vs Minford who beat the Tigers in Falcon land earlier in the season - ANOTHER GREAT OPTION and an hour closer LOL ... Saturday is a no brainer as Zane Trace will be hosting the U ... great week of games !!! looking forward to some outstanding hoops action in SEO ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

You’ll have some other Wednesday options too, at least from the looks of it

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

danicalifornia wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:22 pm You’ll have some other Wednesday options too, at least from the looks of it
... wouldn't be surprised some others besides these:

PHS vs Chesapeake
NW vs Waverly

... also get moved to Wednesday due to school closings tomorrow ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Some of the Big Game Matchups for the Week that IS include:

Tuesday 1/18:

Hillsboro vs Fairfield Leesburg (ppd)
Minford vs Lucasville Valley
North Adams vs Whiteoak
Piketon vs McClain
Sheridan vs Logan (ppd)
ISJ vs Green
Tri Valley vs New Lex
Vinton County vs Chillicothe
Wheelersburg vs South Webster

Wednesday 1/19:

Washington CH vs Fairfield Union
Northwest vs Waverly
Portsmouth vs Chesapeake
Fairfield Lessburg vs Eastern Brown

Friday 1/21 :

Hillsboro vs Washington CH
McClain vs Jackson
Meadowbrooke vs Sheridan
North Adams vs Fairfield Leesburg
Northwest vs West
Portsmouth vs Fairland
South Point vs Gallia Academy
Valley vs South Webster
Waverly vs Minford
Western vs New Boston
Westfall vs ZT

Saturday 1/22 :

West vs South Point
Zane Trace vs Unioto
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

Friday Ironton at The Peake
Sat. Jackson at The Peake

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:32 pm Friday Ironton at The Peake
Sat. Jackson at The Peake
... I didn't even see Jackson at Chesapeake - nice matchup for sure ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”