Minford 62 Lucasville Valley 59 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Minford 62 Lucasville Valley 59 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Minford 62
Valley 59 a final

... play this matchup 10 times and you probably get 5-5 records for both teams ... great game by two of the best teams in SEO with each sporting quality go to players Minford with the combo of Trenton Zimmerman & super freshman Myles Montgomery while Valley not to be outdone countered with the trio of George Arnett/Jace Copley and Bryce Stuart ... neither team went past 1 deep off the bench ... both teams put up 20+ three pointers (Minford 21 vs Valley's 23) ... on the night the teams combined for 19 made triples shooting a combined 43.2% from downtown (Valley 39%/Minford 47%) ... Points in the Paint had Valley hitting 20 points down low with Minford getting 22 pts on the blocks for the night on it's end of the floor ... both teams coming into this one would prefer to "get out and push the ball" usually in both cases it doesn't matter if it's on the oppositions missed or made shot - up tempo - an 11 on the Spinal Tap meter is the preferred tempo ... in an up tempo game where both teams pressure the ball (especially Valley which likes it's 1-2-2 three quarter court press after made shots) you'll see TOs pile up ... this one started out looking like TOs might be the big napkin stat for the game as the teams combined for 11 TO's in the first period of play (VHS 7/Minford 4) but neither teams pressure hurt as Valley only added 7 TOs the rest of the way while Minford was never really bothered by the Valley press adding 7 TOs in the remaining 3 qtrs ... both teams count on the transition game , looking to be in double figures off of forced opponent turnovers ... both teams picked up 3 fgs each on turnovers ... the end of game numbers point to a tight game throughout BUT in reality Valley looked to runaway with this one not once but twice - pushing out to 11 point leads in the opening half ... leading by 7 at the end of one 21-14 only to have the Falcons reel them back in ... Zimmerman did the dirty work in the 2nd period - hitting for 9 pts in the qtr. ... drawing Minford to within 4 points ... Valley 34 Minford 30 at intermission ...

1st half Napkin Stats - Valley
Scoring... George Arnett 13, Jace Copley 11, Bryce Stuart 4, Colt Buckle 4, Carter Nickel 2
3Pointers... 6/13 ... Arnett 3, Copley 3
FTs ... 2/2
TOs ... 10

1st half Napkin Stats- Minford
Scoring ...Trenton Zimmerman 11, Myles Montgomery 10, Joe Hanna 4,Adam Crank 3, Devin Parker 2
3Pointers... 4/11 ... Montgomery 2, Zimmerman 1, Crank 1
FTs ... 2/3
TOs ... 5

... coming out of the half ... Bryce Stuart took over pushing the Indians lead back out to 11 points with 3:11 on the clock Valley up 44-33 ... in the remaining 3:11 of the period the duo of Zimmerman/Montgomery knocked down 3 treys /giving them 4 in the period (2 each) ... both teams when the quarter buzzer sounded had put up 13 points a piece , making the quarter more than exciting ON the court but a wash on the scoreboard ... Valley 47 Minford 43 end of 3 ... the final period was tight, no one opening up more than 2 possession leads ... Minford was the chaser until Adam Crank drained his 2nd trey of the night with 4:22 on the clock knotting the score at 54-54 ... with 1:32 showing on the clock Valley called timeout as the Falcons had taken their first lead since the opening period 56-54 Minford ... the Falcons extended the lead to 2 possessions on a putback bucket 58-54 MHS ... Stuart for VHS drained a three pointer from the top of the key with 2.2 on the clock to pull the Indians within 59-61 ... a split of a 1 & 1 made the final score Minford 62 Valley 59 a final ...

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Valley

Scoring ... George Arnett 20. Bryce Stuart 19, Jace Copley 12, Colt Buckle 6, Carter Nickel 2
3 Pointers ... 9/23 ... George Arnett 4, Jace Copley 3, Bryce Stuart 2
FTs ... 6/10
TOs ... 14
PnP ... 10 fgs/ 20 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/ 6 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

... Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Minford

Scoring ...Trenton Zimmerman 24, Myles Montgomery 23, Adam Crank 6, Joe Hanna 5, Devin Parker 4
3 Pointers ... 10/21 ... Myles Montgomery 5, Trenton Zimmerman 3, Adam Crank 2
FTs ... 10/13
TOs ... 11
PnP ... 11 fgs/22 points in the paint
PnT ... 3 fgs/6 points in transition
Pbk ... 3 fgs/ 6 points off of offensive boards
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Minford 62 Lucasville Valley 59 a final

Post by Ironman92 »

Sounds even

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:53 pmSounds even
... the "go to guys" WERE the "go to guys" ... I give this one to the role players Adam Crank with the BIG triple with 3:11 on the clock to tie it up for the first time since the opening qtr. and I believe (unofficially) it was Devin Parker with the BIG putback bucket in the 4th period ... as is the case in games between quality TEAMS it comes down to individual "possessions" : empty possessions where shots didn't go up (TO) and a couple of possessions when shots DID go up but probably shouldn't have/too quick on the trigger/some possessions when a bucket HAD TO BE MADE and THE shots weren't taken by the "go to guys" ... high school hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line - simply the best !!!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Thanks for the write up, gets me through the game cancelations lol.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:25 pm Thanks for the write up, gets me through the game cancelations lol.
LOL, I'm trying to find the scores for games that may have been ppd, but nothing was posted so I assume they were played ... ugggghhhhhh ... I hate to miss games/scores/makes ranking them on Sunday next to impossible without the complete game results ... makes me look like I don't know what I'm talking about - which isn't hard to do !!! LOL

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Good matchup between two good teams. I was able to watch it on the stream and Minford made the adjustments and plays down the stretch to pull out the come from behind victory. Good win for Coach Shoemaker's Falcons who continue to solidify themselves as one of the best D3 teams in SEO.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

I really enjoyed this game last night. I agree with PFloyd....two teams about as evenly matched as you'll find. I'm already salivating for that Western Pike/Valley matchup that will hopefully happen come tourney time.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

oldschoolqb13 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:05 am I really enjoyed this game last night. I agree with PFloyd....two teams about as evenly matched as you'll find. I'm already salivating for that Western Pike/Valley matchup that will hopefully happen come tourney time.
... talk about having to have your head on a swivel !!! - wow THAT matchup between Western and Valley might require a spotter !!! LOL ... 2 teams that KNOW they are at their best when they are out and running, KNOW that their bread and butter is pressuring the ball and the transition game ... I might need to have the ability to call timeouts from the Cheap Seats as well !!!

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:17 pm
oldschoolqb13 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:05 am I really enjoyed this game last night. I agree with PFloyd....two teams about as evenly matched as you'll find. I'm already salivating for that Western Pike/Valley matchup that will hopefully happen come tourney time.
... talk about having to have your head on a swivel !!! - wow THAT matchup between Western and Valley might require a spotter !!! LOL ... 2 teams that KNOW they are at their best when they are out and running, KNOW that their bread and butter is pressuring the ball and the transition game ... I might need to have the ability to call timeouts from the Cheap Seats as well !!!
Yes, Floyd, you better bring your Twizzlers with you that game…will probably miss action during timeouts if you get up. Lol

Return to “Boys Basketball”