Waverly 48 Minford 44 a final

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Waverly 48 Minford 44 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Waverly 48
Minford 44 a final

... when the pre-game hype DOESN'T have to hype a game much to get interest you KNOW you're in the right place for "THE game" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line on a Friday night ... Minford had held serve at home beating the Tigers 64-58 way back in Week 2 ... the Falcons entered the night at 11-2 ... Waverly with it's win @ Northwest went to 10-3 on the season entering tonight's matchup ... #1 vs #7 ... SOC2 compadres ... a W for the Tigers they moved to 2 games up on Minford , an L drops WHS into a tie with Minford and a possible 3 way tie should Valley get the win over South Webster tonight ... talk about "a lot riding" on a couple of games ! ...

... this one DID NOT disappoint !!! as the officials " let them play" the game was to say the least "physical" to say the most "boardering on outta control" ... it was in either case a game between 2 of the best teams in SEO, THAT can not be argued even with a winner and loser decided after the 32 minutes of play ... Waverly 48 Minford 44 a final ...

... the importance of the game was set at the outset as Minford jumped out to a 4 point lead with Trenton Zimmerman scoring down low on the blocks and a quick transition bucket off of a Tiger turnover ... TO Waverly at 7:13 on the clock - game importance established and noted ... of the 2 teams in the opening quarter Coach Shoemaker's Falcons looked ready for the moment as 4 of the 5 starters dented the scorebook - Zimmerman with 5 points/ freshman standout Myles Montgomery with 4pts, Devin Parker 2 and Adam Crank with the lone triple for MHS in the period ... defensively Minford turned Waverly over 4 times in the quarter converting on 1 for a transition bucket ... for the Tigers' the newly crowned Waverly career scoring leader Trey Robertson (5 pts) converted down low for 2 points, delivered a couple dimes to Will Futhey (4 pts) in the paint for baskets ... the Tiger scoring ended in the qtr on a 3 ball from Robertson the elder ... Waverly 9 Minford 14 after one ... in any basketball game both teams players have to get a feel for how the game is going to be called by the officials, how physical are they going to let me/us play down in the paint? from the cheap seats BOTH teams were able to get position, move the opposition out of position ... I was impressed by both big men in the paint, Zimmerman absorbed the physical play and converted on the blocks as the MHS big man added 6 pts in the qtr./11 points in the half... for Waverly Zimmerman's counterpart Will Futhey matched the 6 pts in the qtr to tally 10 points in the half ... in big games the outcomes are many times not decided by the "usual go to guys" as they "will get theirs" , many times it is the role players who step up, take advantage of their matchups to give TEAM a boost and an advantage ... in the 2nd period for Minford , the Falcons got good minutes from Ethan Connally off the bench as he had back to back drives in the rim (4 pts in the period) ... a 3 ball from Adam Crank gave MHS their 13 points in the 2nd ... with Futhey being BIG in the paint for WHS, arguably the best "go to guy" in SEO Trey Robertson added 6 points on a couple 2 pointers and a pair FTs ... off the bench for WHS, Penn Morrison added 2 points/ Braylon Robertson did what he normally does - he hits threes - it would be the only 3 ball for Robertson the younger on the night ... it seemed that Waverly was chasing the Falcons the entire game - which they were ... but checking my napkin stat sheet the Tigers DID knot this one up at 20-20 on the scoreboard with 3:47 on the clock in the 2nd ... just as it seemed WHS was chasing, the game flow also gave the impression that Minford had the horses to keep Waverly from taking the lead ... Waverly 26 Minford 27 at the half ... what I have found in all of the games I've watched this season between quality teams - the best of the best make adjustments at intermission, they come out with renewed intensity, they turn up the D ... when you have TWO quality teams, what happens? they BOTH turn up the D ! ... the 3rd quarter physicality by both TEAMS was off the charts, I jotted down the word "discipline" on my napkin stat sheet - the physical play on both sides could have easily gotten out of hand but the discipline shown by both teams, playing physical without crossing the line, playing the game "within the game" - great job by both teams to keep it a basketball game ... the Tiger D focused on Zimmerman, and as it had ALL game with Mark Stulley on Myles Montgomery it focused on keeping Montgomery from filling up the stat line - through a half MM = 4 pts - check ... for the Falcon D, defending the paint & Futhey down low/taking away the interior passes ... keep Trey Robertson from going off ... in the 3rd period the Falcons held T Robertson scoreless, Will Futhey in the paint 10 pts in the first half , 2 points in the 3rd period ... IF you hold the big 2 for Waverly to 2 points in a quarter - good things happen on the scoreboard ... Tiger D? Zimmerman was held scoreless in the 3rd, Montgomery 2 points ... the marque matchups in the 3rd - a wash ... leaving the role players - who was going to step up ? for Waverly Mark Stulley drained a 3 ball from the corner plus a FT ... Tigers 6 points in the 3rd ... for Minford Adam Crank drained his 2nd triple of the night, Devin Parker stepped up with an offensive board and putback for 2, then drove from the top of the key the FT line for a soft jumper to go with 2/2 from the line , 6 points in the qtr ... Minford 38 Waverly 32 after 3 ... 2 outstanding TEAMS , quality players on both sides, gut check time - Tigers needed to get back into the game, while the Falcons needed to keep on keepin' on with the solid D on the WHS "go to guys" while taking care of the ball, working the clock, get the ball in the hands of your own "go to guys" ... in the big moments , experience in big games pays off, when you have one of the best "gut check" "clutch" players in SEO in one Trey Robertson you let him do his thing ... TR took over the game in the 4th period - turned up the intensity of the D forcing 3 Minford turnovers ALL of which he converted to points ... Trey dropped 8 points in the final period after being held scoreless in the 3rd ... Will Futhey added 4 points at the rim ... one of those role players for WHS Hudson Kelly put in a pair 2 pointers down the stretch ... at 5:04 on the clock the Tigers had drawn to 38-40 ... a Zimmerman at the rim bucket pushed the score to 38-42 with 4:19 to play ... Zimmerman with another strong move to the rim 40-44 MHS @ 2:15 ... at 1:19 the Tigers forced the first tie since the 2nd qtr (20-20) at 44-44 ... :30.5 on the clock Robertson with his 3rd bucket in transition gave Waverly their first lead of the game 46-44 ... Minford HAD opportunities to get the W - a good look at a 3 with under 10 to play by Montgomery bounced off the rim, rebound Minford, tipped out of bounds with 5.2 on the clock MHS ball ... a Falcon turnover, Hudson Kelly to the rim going the other way for the Tigers as the buzzer sounded ... Minford 44 Waverly 48 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Minford

Scoring ...Trenton Zimmerman 15, Adam Crank 9, Myles Montgomery 8, Devin Parker 8, Ethan Connally 4
3 Pointers ... 3/16 ... Adam Crank 3
FTs ... 3/5
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 15 fgs/ 30 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 pts in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Trey Robertson 19, Will Futhey 16, Mark Stulley 4,Hudson Kelly 4, Braylon Robertson 3, Penn Morrison 2
3 Pointers ... 3/14 ... Braylon Robertson 1, Mark Stulley 1, Trey Robertson 1
FTs ... 3/7
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 17 fgs/ 34 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition ALL in the 4th quarter down the stretch
Pbk ... 0

... 2 of the "Best of the Best" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Minford ended up on the short end of the score but Minford IS a very good basketball TEAM , with a lot of outstanding pieces ... Myles Montgomery, freshman, drew the attention of one of the best on the ball defenders in SEO in Mark Stulley AND Trey Robertson - the 3 ball that wasn't at the end of the game for the win with under 10 secs to play? I'm taking a pic of my napkin stat sheets for this game - the youngster WILL in the next 3 1/2 seasons of his high school career have the same opportunity vs other teams in other games - my money is that M&M drains the 3 ball ... tonight, under the defensive pressure that he was under - as a freshman - he held his own ... Trenton Zimmerman is simply a player ... he's money on the block, and proved he can play a physical game with anyone ... for Waverly not many duos better than Will Futhey and Trey Robertson ... and there is NO ONE better than T Robertson at crunch time or anytime in a game for that matter ... you could see the "next" gear that Trey R went into in the final quarter tonight - outstanding ... lots of basketball to play !!! Waverly moves to 2 full games up on both Valley and Minford in the SOC2 with the Tiger win tonight and Valley's loss to South Webster ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Waverly 48 Minford 44 a final

Post by pfloyd »

Good to see you again smurray! great high school basketball atmosphere at the Waverly Downtown Arena last night ... such a great venue to watch a high school game ... definitely one of my favorite gyms ... great night ! easy 1:20 drive for pfloyd1 ...

... wasn't sure how the night was going to go as I'm sitting in the Cheap Seats at floor level, I looked around across the floor - I was being summoned to the Minford bench ... got to meet Coach Shoemaker - whom I knew from his Portsmouth head coaching days- and Coach Montgomery ... I enjoyed the 10-15 minute chat with Coach Shoemaker ... Coach is one of those guys who loves the game of hoops, loves teaching the game to kids of all ages ... I could tell from our talk that he enjoys working with this 2021-22 edition of the Mighty Falcons ... he tried to convince me that he'd calmed down courtside - I was watching tonight - he didn't lie to me LOL IF ever he was going to lose it , TONIGHT with the way the game was called would have been THAT night ... I've seen this Minford team 3 times now in person, THAT'S a really good TEAM ... I'll be catching another Falcon game or two before the post season - fun to watch ... the Minford cupboard isn't empty after this season ! the JV squad is undefeated ... Coach Montgomery has some solid players that he will be sending to the varsity next season - Jackson Shoemaker, Bennett Kayser, Jeffery Pica to name a few ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:40 am Waverly 48
Minford 44 a final

... when the pre-game hype DOESN'T have to hype a game much to get interest you KNOW you're in the right place for "THE game" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line on a Friday night ... Minford had held serve at home beating the Tigers 64-58 way back in Week 2 ... the Falcons entered the night at 11-2 ... Waverly with it win @ Northwest went to 10-3 on the season entering tonight's matchup ... #1 vs #7 ... SOC2 compadres ... a W for the Tigers they moved to 2 games up on Minford , an L drops WHS into a tie with Minford and a possible 3 way tie should Valley get the win over South Webster tonight ... talk about "a lot riding" on a couple of games ! ...

... this one DID NOT disappoint !!! as the officials " let them play" the game was to say the least "physical" to say the most "boardering on outta control" ... it was in either case a game between 2 of the best teams in SEO, THAT can not be argued even with a winner and loser decided after the 32 minutes of play ... Waverly 48 Minford 44 a final ...

... the importance of the game was set at the outset as Minford jumped out to a 4 points lead with Trenton Zimmerman scoring down low on the blocks and a quick transition bucket off of a Tiger turnover ... TO Waverly at 7:13 on the clock - game importance established and noted ... of the 2 teams in the opening quarter Coach Shoemaker's Falcons looked ready for the moment as 4 of the 5 starters dented the scorebook - Zimmerman with 5 points/ freshman standout Myles Montgomery with 4pts, Devin Parker 2 and Adam Crank with the lone triple for MHS in the period ... defensively Minford turned Waverly over 4 times in the quarter converting on 1 for a transition bucket ... for the Tigers' the newly crowned Waverly career scoring leader Trey Robertson (5 pts) converted down low for 2 points, delivered a couple dimes to Will Futhey (4 pts) in the paint for baskets ... the Tiger scoring ended in the qtr on a 3 ball from Robertson the elder ... Waverly 9 Minford 14 after one ... in any basketball game both teams players have to get a feel for how the game is going to be called by the officials, how physical are they going to let me/us play down in the paint? from the cheap seats BOTH teams were able to get position, move the opposition out of position ... I was impressed by both big men in the paint, Zimmerman absorbed the physical play and converted on the blocks as the MHS big man added 6 pts in the qtr./11 points in the half... for Waverly Zimmerman's counterpart Will Futhey matched the 6 pts in the qtr to tally 10 points in the half ... in big games the outcomes are many times not decided by the "usual go to guys" as they "will get theirs" , many times it is the role players who step up, take advantage of their matchups to give TEAM a boost and an advantage ... in the 2nd period for Minford , the Falcons got good minutes from Ethan Connally off the bench as he had back to back drives in the rim (4 pts in the period) ... a 3 ball from Adam Crank gave MHS their 13 points in the 2nd ... with Futhey being BIG in the paint for WHS, arguably the best "go to guy" in SEO Trey Robertson added 6 points on a couple 2 pointers and a pair FTs ... off the bench for WHS, Penn Morrison added 2 points/ Braylon Robertson did what he normally does - he hits threes - it would be the only 3 ball for Robertson the younger on the night ... it seemed that Waverly was chasing the Falcons the entire game - which they were ... but checking my napkin stat sheet the Tigers DID knot this one up at 20-20 on the scoreboard with 3:47 on the clock in the 2nd ... just as it seemed WHS was chasing, the game flow also gave the impression that Minford had the horses to keep Waverly from taking the lead ... Waverly 26 Minford 27 at the half ... what I have found in all of the games I've watched this season between quality teams - the best of the best make adjustments at intermission, they come out with renewed intensity, they turn up the D ... when you have TWO quality teams, what happens? they BOTH turn up the D ! ... the 3rd quarter physicality by both TEAMS was off the charts, I jotted down the word "discipline" on my napkin stat sheet - the physical play on both sides could have easily gotten out of hand but the discipline shown by both teams, playing physical without crossing the line, playing the game "within the game" - great job by both teams to keep it a basketball game ... the Tiger D focused on Zimmerman, and as it had ALL game with Mark Stulley on Myles Montgomery it focused on keeping Montgomery from filling up the stat line - through a half MM = 4 pts - check ... for the Falcon D, defending the paint & Futhey down low/taking away the interior passes ... keep Trey Robertson from going off ... in the 3rd period the Falcons held T Robertson scoreless, Will Futhey in the paint 10 pts in the first half , 2 points in the 3rd period ... IF you hold the big 2 for Waverly to 2 points in a quarter - good things happen on the scoreboard ... Tiger D? Zimmerman was held scoreless in the 3rd, Montgomery 2 points ... the marque matchups in the 3rd - a wash ... leaving the role players - who was going to step up ? for Waverly Mark Stulley drained a 3 ball from the corner plus a FT ... Tigers 6 points in the 3rd ... for Minford Adam Crank drained his 2nd triple of the night, Devin Parker stepped up with an offensive board and putback for 2, then drove from the top of the key the FT line for a soft jumper to go with 2/2 from the line , 6 points in the qtr ... Minford 38 Waverly 32 after 3 ... 2 outstanding TEAMS , quality players on both sides, gut check time - Tigers needed to get back into the game, while the Falcons needed to keep on keepin' on with the solid D on the WHS "go to guys" while taking care of the ball, working the clock, get the ball in the hands of your own "go to guys" ... in the big moments , experience in big games pays off, when you have one of the best "gut check" "clutch" players in SEO in one Trey Robertson you let him do his thing ... TR took over the game in the 4th period - turned up the intensity of the D forcing 3 Minford turnovers ALL of which he converted to points ... Trey dropped 8 points in the final period after being held scoreless in the 3rd ... Will Futhey added 4 points at the rim ... one of those role players for WHS Hudson Kelly put in a pair 2 pointers down the stretch ... at 5:04 on the clock the Tigers had drawn to 38-40 ... a Zimmerman at the rim bucket pushed the score to 38-42 with 4:19 to play ... Zimmerman with another strong move to the rim 40-44 MHS @ 2:15 ... at 1:19 the Tigers forced the first tie since the 2nd qtr (20-20) at 44-44 ... :30.5 on the clock Robertson with his 3rd bucket in transition gave Waverly their first lead of the game 46-44 ... Minford HAD opportunities to get the W - a good look at a 3 with under 10 to play by Montgomery bounced off the rim, rebound Minford, tipped out of bounds with 5.2 on the clock MHS ball ... a Falcon turnover, Hudson Kelly to the rim going the other way for the Tigers as the buzzer sounded ... Minford 44 Waverly 48 a final ...

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Minford

Scoring ...Trenton Zimmerman 15, Adam Crank 9, Myles Montgomery 8, Devin Parker 8, Ethan Connally 4
3 Pointers ... 3/16 ... Adam Crank 3
FTs ... 3/5
TOs ... 10
PnP ... 15 fgs/ 30 points in the paint
PnT ... 2 fgs/ 4 pts in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

Pfloyd's official "UN-official" Napkin Stats - Waverly

Scoring ... Trey Robertson 19, Will Futhey 16, Mark Stulley 4,Hudson Kelly 4, Braylon Robertson 3, Penn Morrison 2
3 Pointers ... 3/14 ... Braylon Robertson 1, Mark Stulley 1, Trey Robertson 1
FTs ... 3/7
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 17 fgs/ 34 points in the paint
PnT ... 4 fgs/ 8 points in transition ALL in the 4th quarter down the stretch
Pbk ... 0

... 2 of the "Best of the Best" Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Minford ended up on the short end of the score but Minford IS a very good basketball TEAM , with a lot of outstanding pieces ... Myles Montgomery, freshman, drew the attention of one of the best on the ball defenders in SEO in Mark Stulley AND Trey Robertson - the 3 ball that wasn't at the end of the game for the win with under 10 secs to play? I'm taking a pic of my napkin stat sheets for this game - the youngster WILL in the next 3 1/2 seasons of his high school career have the same opportunity vs other teams in other games - my money is that M&M drains the 3 ball ... tonight, under the defensive pressure that he was under - as a freshman - he held his own ... Trenton Zimmerman is simply a player ... he's money on the block, and proved he can play a physical game with anyone ... for Waverly not many duos better than Will Futhey and Trey Robertson ... and there is NO ONE better than T Robertson at crunch time or anytime in a game for that matter ... you could see the "next" gear that Trey R went into in the final quarter tonight - outstanding ... lots of basketball to play !!! Waverly moves to 2 full games up on both Valley and Minford in the SOC2 with the Tiger win tonight and Valley's loss to South Webster ...
Great write up and I agree on all points. What a GREAT GAME!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:10 am Good to see you again smurray! great high school basketball atmosphere at the Waverly Downtown Arena last night ... such a great venue to watch a high school game ... definitely one of my favorite gyms ... great night ! easy 1:20 drive for pfloyd1 ...

... he tried to convince me that he'd calmed down courtside - I was watching tonight - he didn't lie to me LOL IF ever he was going to lose it , TONIGHT with the way the game was called would have been THAT night ... ...
THERE'S NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!

Return to “Boys Basketball”