Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week#8

Western24
Freshman Team

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week#8

Post by Western24 »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 am
AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 pm
Sportsfan98 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm Western fans just need to understand that playing in SOC1 and SOC2 is just entirely different. That is coming from a guy whom is a huge SOC1 supporter, but I am also realistic. Playing pwest, NW, Burg on a nightly basis is much different from playing East, Clay, green, St joe, NB. Nobody is taking anything away from Western.. but basically claiming that they would be at the top of the SOC2 this year? Come on now..
They’re basing it on watching them beat McClain, Hillsboro, Wash Court House, Fairfield, Grandview Heights, Hannibal River, Caldwell and several 1000+ boy schools at West Virginia camp.

They’re 7-0 non league winning those games by 20-25 per game.

What’s the SOC 2 best wins out of conference?
What were the scores to all of those games that I missed?
Ripley: 78-42
Peebles: 60-35
Manchester: 55-33
PV: 58-44
Huntingtin: 63-41
Piketon: 58-33
Southeastern: 46-34

This is what I have found, Every one of these were 20 point games at halftime with the exception of Peebles and Southeastern. Ripley being the most recent and southeastern being the first game of the year.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

coop wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am Valleys non SOC 2 Wins
Piketon by 7
Paint Valley by 31
Leesburg Fairfield by 24
Symmes Valley by 32

Waverlys non SOC 2 wins
Hurricane WV by 10
Lost to D-1 Upper Arlington in a close game, and D1 Newark in OT.

Minfords non SOC 2 wins
Southeastern by 30
Piketon by 20
Jackson by 5
Portsmouth by 28

South Websters non SOC2 wins
Belpre by 41
ND by 23
Green by 18

Thats all I could find on the top 4 in the SOC2
So 0 wins by any SOC 2 team over any team with a great record besides Symmes Valley? Which is in the SOC 1 so that doesn’t even count. Fairfield is solid but I saw Western beat them 3 times so that doesn’t count either.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:36 am SW was also up 30+ On green. And blew out Notre Dame. Didn’t western only beat ND by one? If I’m not mistaken Western also had all they wanted in the previews against NW since apparently that matters. Lol.
Western beat Green by 34-35 without their starting PG last night.

After holding Northwest scoreless in two quarters the night before the preview.

No one is saying Western would win anything in SOC 2. It’s the fact most of you haven’t watched them and say they would lose 10 league games.

My son is playing great though and I’m proud of his 4 points last night!

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

AnkleBraces wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:27 pm
coop wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:49 am Valleys non SOC 2 Wins
Piketon by 7
Paint Valley by 31
Leesburg Fairfield by 24
Symmes Valley by 32

Waverlys non SOC 2 wins
Hurricane WV by 10
Lost to D-1 Upper Arlington in a close game, and D1 Newark in OT.

Minfords non SOC 2 wins
Southeastern by 30
Piketon by 20
Jackson by 5
Portsmouth by 28

South Websters non SOC2 wins
Belpre by 41
ND by 23
Green by 18

Thats all I could find on the top 4 in the SOC2
So 0 wins by any SOC 2 team over any team with a great record besides Symmes Valley? Which is in the SOC 1 so that doesn’t even count. Fairfield is solid but I saw Western beat them 3 times so that doesn’t count either.

I mean I guess? I’d give Waverly some credit there seeing how the 2 teams they lost to are Division 1 with a combined record of 26-6, both being close games and 1 going to overtime.

They’ve won a majority of the non conference games that have been played.

I think you’d need to win the SOC 1 before discounting the SOC 2, and right now isn’t a Co-championship most likely?

I think everyone here has said Western has a fine team, but to think they’d beat Waverly, Minford, Valley, SW, and even Burg as of late, is a tough task.

Especially since the last time they played an SOC 2 team they lost by around 40, and Valley was the middle of the pack last year. I’m sure they’re much improved this year, as the record shows, and they should have all the confidence in the world outside the New Boston game.

The good thing is it will all sort itself out, and I look forward to an exciting tournament!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Western24 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 pm
AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 pm

They’re basing it on watching them beat McClain, Hillsboro, Wash Court House, Fairfield, Grandview Heights, Hannibal River, Caldwell and several 1000+ boy schools at West Virginia camp.

They’re 7-0 non league winning those games by 20-25 per game.

What’s the SOC 2 best wins out of conference?

This is what I have found, Every one of these were 20 point games at halftime with the exception of Peebles and Southeastern. Ripley being the most recent and southeastern being the first game of the year.
No…the basing off McClain, Washington, Hillsboro etc???

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

:roll:
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm
Western24 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 pm

No…the basing off McClain, Washington, Hillsboro etc???
They were in the summer so it doesn’t matter.

Caldwell shootout had the top 3-4 teams in D4 East Region.

SE district should send someone to state based on what I saw.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I’ll say this….the rankings and the seedings and everything are based on the results of this season. Can the summer be a bit of a measurement? Absolutely but goodness the factors involved are endless. Football, basketball, baseball, vacation, camps, band, cross country, soccer….you name it. But when you go out for the team in November it’s different, it’s now a main commitment, the summer is not a main commitment and it’s incredibly hit and miss. 3 Summers ago in our pretty big summer league we lost by 30 to a team in a game in late June….we played the same school in January and were leading 58-16 before calling the dogs off. This past summer we went to Hillsboro for a scrimmage and Fairfield beat us by 44 points. Few years back we played DeSales at a college camp…beat em but would’ve been torched during the season.

So many separate factors with summer comparisons and using info from the summer to rank and especially seed would be very irresponsible.

Western will have a super high seed and the district championship, final 4 opportunity just like the other schools. Western and maybe Trimble kind of make me think of Piketon in football. Excellent team and great season….but iffy on how the postseason will go. The SOC 1 gives you that. Keep the chip inserted and go make a Final 4 and we’ll all be cheering you on (well most of us)

The only thing I have against Western is their high school principal 😁

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Till someone beats Berlin Hiland at OU, state tournament is very hard to achieve.

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan98 »

Will Western's starting PG be playing friday night in the SOC1 showdown? Trying to decide whether or not I should attend this game. I say Western by 10, should be a good measuring stick for both teams at this point in the season regardless of the outcome.

Ballforlife
Waterboy

Post by Ballforlife »

@Sportsfan98 he will be back

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Trimble 62
Waterford 42

NY 75
Belpre 66

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 pm Trimble 62
Waterford 42

NY 75
Belpre 66
... that's a BIG win on the road vs a good Waterford team ... tells me something about this current lineup for Howie ... they're deserving of my #2 ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:32 am
93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 pm Trimble 62
Waterford 42

NY 75
Belpre 66
... that's a BIG win on the road vs a good Waterford team ... tells me something about this current lineup for Howie ... they're deserving of my #2 ...
Howie always has his teams playing their best basketball at seasons end. That's what great coaches do.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

My apologies if this is on another post somewhere, but when do the coaches vote on tournaments seedings? I feel like it should be sometime in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

DcP3407 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:16 pm My apologies if this is on another post somewhere, but when do the coaches vote on tournaments seedings? I feel like it should be sometime in the next few weeks. Thanks in advance.
2/6

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

Ttransplant - Thanks.

I guess I could have looked at OHSAA website, which I ended up doing. Then got distracted by the divisional breakdowns and enrollment numbers. Pretty interesting stuff, especially with the competitive balance numbers.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Interesting debate going on with Western and wether they fit in with Trimble valley and South Webster. I personally think they have a great chance against any of them. I have seen Valley three times, Webster twice and Trimble none. I have watched every SOC 2 team live at least once and been to almost all of the Waverly games. I am finishing up watching Treys career since he played two years with my son. I also teach at Western I have watched all of their games either live or streamed. Here is why I think they can compete with valley or Webster. Extremely well coached. They do a great job scouting and preparing the team for whoever they are facing. A Senior laden club with three senior starters and the sixth man is also a senior. Great point guard play out of Brewster. Can handle the ball and they have no problem breaking the press or handling pressure. This really is important against Valley who wants to press and score in transition. 4 kids who can knock down the 3 consistently. The only off shooting night they had was at Symmes Valley and they still almost pulled it out. Really good big with great hands, footwork and basketball IQ. I really think he could get Webster's bigs in foul trouble early. Very solid defensively. Play strong man to man and rotate well when needed. 4 of the 5 are very good free throw shooters and are clutch in the 4th quarter. It will be determined on the floor but i like western chances at making another run to the regionals. Would love to be watching Waverly, Western, Valley, and Minford all taking part in regional action.

McClainTigerfan
Waterboy

Post by McClainTigerfan »

Greenfield with another impressive road win tonight going to Miami Trace and coming away with a 69-39 win! This was a 1 point game at the half with the Tigers leading 24-23 out scoring the Panthers 45-15 in the second half. Badgley lead the Tigers again with 26 and Toney had 21 with a lot of players chipping in in the scoring column. Tigers held Guthrie I believe under 10. Tigers with the win clinched atleast a share of the FAC title!!

LA-WNC
Waterboy

Post by LA-WNC »

Western over Eastern Pike on the road 68-60.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Friday night Pfloyd 1/28.

Clay gets their first win of the season.

Clay 61
East 50.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk

Return to “Boys Basketball”