Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week#8

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week#8

Post by Sportsfan98 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:52 pm
Sportsfan98 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm Western fans just need to understand that playing in SOC1 and SOC2 is just entirely different. That is coming from a guy whom is a huge SOC1 supporter, but I am also realistic. Playing pwest, NW, Burg on a nightly basis is much different from playing East, Clay, green, St joe, NB. Nobody is taking anything away from Western.. but basically claiming that they would be at the top of the SOC2 this year? Come on now..
They’re basing it on watching them beat McClain, Hillsboro, Wash Court House, Fairfield, Grandview Heights, Hannibal River, Caldwell and several 1000+ boy schools at West Virginia camp.

They’re 7-0 non league winning those games by 20-25 per game.

What’s the SOC 2 best wins out of conference?
the fact that you are basing all of this on summer league wins explains everything. lol I will say no more

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan98 »

Seofanatic wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm

They’re basing it on watching them beat McClain, Hillsboro, Wash Court House, Fairfield, Grandview Heights, Hannibal River, Caldwell this summer and several 1000+ boy schools at West Virginia camp.

Most teams doubting them have never watched them play. Just because they're Western Latham, they must be inferior to the almighty SOC II schools. I've watched nearly every SOC II team play this year. The only team Western doesn't compete with or beat is Waverly.
you sir are incorrect as I have seen the western boys more then once and continue to ignore that I do believe they are a good ball team, but not good enough to be top 4 in the bigger school division. Western could keep some games close in SOC2, but they still have 8-10 losses at the end of the year. You can't lose to new boston and Symmes valley then turn around and say you would beat valley, minford, webster.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Sportsfan98 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:10 pm
Sportsfan98 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:59 pm Western fans just need to understand that playing in SOC1 and SOC2 is just entirely different. That is coming from a guy whom is a huge SOC1 supporter, but I am also realistic. Playing pwest, NW, Burg on a nightly basis is much different from playing East, Clay, green, St joe, NB. Nobody is taking anything away from Western.. but basically claiming that they would be at the top of the SOC2 this year? Come on now..
They’re basing it on watching them beat McClain, Hillsboro, Wash Court House, Fairfield, Grandview Heights, Hannibal River, Caldwell and several 1000+ boy schools at West Virginia camp.

the fact that you are basing all of this on summer league wins explains everything. lol I will say no more
“SOC 1 is weak” - so I’m telling you western fans saw them compete with several teams that are winning a lot of games this season and no one was beating them.

If they beat Symmes Valley by 10 or more they will have beaten every opponent on their schedule by double digits at least once.

Give the kids some credit. They have given up 50 points twice all season and that’s playing full court D the entire game so the pace is high.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Sportsfan98 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:15 pm
Seofanatic wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 pm
Most teams doubting them have never watched them play. Just because they're Western Latham, they must be inferior to the almighty SOC II schools. I've watched nearly every SOC II team play this year. The only team Western doesn't compete with or beat is Waverly.
you sir are incorrect as I have seen the western boys more then once and continue to ignore that I do believe they are a good ball team, but not good enough to be top 4 in the bigger school division. Western could keep some games close in SOC2, but they still have 8-10 losses at the end of the year. You can't lose to new boston and Symmes valley then turn around and say you would beat valley, minford, webster.
This is not what the players that have actually played both teams are saying.

I watched Green’s PG walk over to the western bench tonight in the first half and said “I’ve never been this tired”

JustAnObserver
Waterboy

Post by JustAnObserver »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 pm They smokin that good stuff out in Latham these days. Congrats on running the table on clay and East and st joe this year
SW beat Green by 18 (I watched the livestream).
Western beat Green by 19 the first time and then by 34 tonight without their Senior Point Guard.
Oops.
I have watched SW several times online.
Size advantage, SW.
Intensity, speed, defensive, shooting, advantage Western.
Valley beat Piketon by 7 (I believe). Western beat Piketon by 25.
Oops.

I’ve said it before on this site. If you want to think Valley or SW is better than Western that’s fine. Everyone has their opinion and I won’t try to change anyone’s mind. But when you keep posting opinions based on the superiority of a conference that isn’t as good this year as normal, reputation, and perception it’s just wrong.
Watch. The. Games. That’s all anyone is saying.

I mean seriously…maybe Valley beats Western by 100.
But go watch the Valley/Minford game, or the Valley/Wheelersburg game and tell me honestly you think that’s great basketball being played.

And by the way…I agree that putting too much stock in summer games, scrimmages, and camps is tricky but so far what I see is that all the teams that were really good (or bad) this summer are still really good (or bad) this season. So, it’s at least worth mentioning for perspective if nothing else.

Sportsfan98
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan98 »

JustAnObserver wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:25 pm They smokin that good stuff out in Latham these days. Congrats on running the table on clay and East and st joe this year
Western beat Green by 19 the first time and then by 34 tonight without their Senior Point Guard.
Oops.
Size advantage, SW.
Oops.

I’ve said it before on this site. If you want to think Valley or SW is better than Western that’s fine. Everyone has their opinion and I won’t try to change anyone’s mind. But when you keep posting opinions based on the superiority of a conference that isn’t as good this year as normal, reputation, and perception it’s just wrong.

But go watch the Valley/Minford game, or the Valley/Wheelersburg game and tell me honestly you think that’s great basketball being played.

And by the way…I agree that putting too much stock in summer games, scrimmages, and camps is tricky but so far what I see is that all the teams that were really good (or bad) this summer are still really good (or bad) this season. So, it’s at least worth mentioning for perspective if nothing else.
Symmes valley beat western, Valley beats Symmes valley by 32 in a game where starters only played 3 quarters. Oops.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

This whole thread for today reminds me of the whole “Alabama could beat the(insert worst nfl team).

Western is good for their division and conference. But you are speaking two different worlds here. So many teams in the SOC2 are dangerous on any given night.

They may be able to split a series with the bottom half of the SOC2 at best. But last I checked Western doesn’t have that generational player(SEO) that transcends them. Just a good to very good team based on their handicaps.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Exactly, Western might be a good ball team, i dont know. But if you have to argue this much about why they are that good, they might not be. We will see. Good luck to the indians the rest of the season.

JustAnObserver
Waterboy

Post by JustAnObserver »

Sportsfan98 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:46 am
JustAnObserver wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:54 am
Oops.
Size advantage, SW.
Oops.

Symmes valley beat western, Valley beats Symmes valley by 32 in a game where starters only played 3 quarters. Oops.
So you’re right and I’m wrong even though we just made the same argument? That was my point.
SW now has 5 conference losses with possibly more to come? Isn’t this about what you all predict would do?
Valley has 3 conference losses? Do you think they’ll lose anymore conference games? Then wouldn’t their conference losses at least be getting closer to what you predict Western would have?
I just believe the margin of error (of opinion) based on some comments on here is fairly wide. I repeatedly see people making comments like, “I haven’t seen Western” “I don’t know about” etc.
All my comments are always about flaws in arguments. They are not declarations of certainty.
I could be wrong in my thinking. News flash. So could a lot of you.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Tuesday night scores: 1/25

Alexander 76
NY 53

Meigs 50
VC 61

Wellston 67
Athens 62 (OT)

River Valley 51
Point 53

Trimble
Waterford - ppd

Federal Hocking 57
Belpre 48

Eastern 42
South Gallia 51

WEDNESDAY NIGHT SCHEDULE

NY
Belpre

Trimble
Waterford

THURSDAY

Meigs
Crooksville

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

SW was also up 30+ On green. And blew out Notre Dame. Didn’t western only beat ND by one? If I’m not mistaken Western also had all they wanted in the previews against NW since apparently that matters. Lol.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Will there be a stream for Trimble/Waterford tonight?

JustAnObserver
Waterboy

Post by JustAnObserver »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:36 am SW was also up 30+ On green. And blew out Notre Dame. Didn’t western only beat ND by one? If I’m not mistaken Western also had all they wanted in the previews against NW since apparently that matters. Lol.
I WATCHED the SW at Green game and SW didn’t beat Green any easier than Western did. I WATCHED IT.
Western beat ND the second time by 15.
Didn’t West only beat ND by 1?
Everyone is missing my point. No one has caught on that I have never actually given my opinion on Western playing any of these teams and who would win.
I’m just tired of people making comments that have tunnel vision on the SOC 2 and never actually watch anyone or anything else.
And no the preview wasn’t close when starters were in. Western beat NW convincingly every quarter the very night before in a scrimmage (you brought up the preview not me so why not mention a scrimmage)
I was there. I WATCHED IT. And by the way I never said anything about previews anyway.

Question…have you actually watched Western play this year? Against who? Live or livestream? Simple question.

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

LetsBeReal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:19 am This whole thread for today reminds me of the whole “Alabama could beat the(insert worst nfl team).

Western is good for their division and conference. But you are speaking two different worlds here. So many teams in the SOC2 are dangerous on any given night.

They may be able to split a series with the bottom half of the SOC2 at best. But last I checked Western doesn’t have that generational player(SEO) that transcends them. Just a good to very good team based on their handicaps.
This is a terrible take. Very few teams in seo, let alone the SOC, have a generational talent on their team. I'd rather have a team of good to very good players rather than have one guy. Defense is the key with this team. I've not seen a team play defensively like Western does in a long time.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Teams play different styles.

One thing you learn to do is not compare scores. The idea is to win the game. Good teams find a style that translates to every team they play. Not run the score up on teams that can’t handle a press then get beat by a team that can get you in a half court game.

That’s the biggest criticism on Valley this year. They have blown teams out but the teams that have gotten them in the half court have played them close or beat them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What were the scores to all of those games that I missed?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

I will give Western fans credit, they are loyal to their team.

Continuing to arguing about this has no point, though. Hopefully Western is able to face either Trimble, Valley, or South Webster in the tournament (when it matters, not summer league or a scrimmage), and see if they are in that upper tier.

Comparing games is silly. If so you'd look at the Valley drumming of Symmes and Western losing to Symmes and think that Valley is 50+ points better than Western..... and they aren't.

Looking forward to the tournament so that these arguments, one way or another, are solved.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
JustAnObserver
Waterboy

Post by JustAnObserver »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 am I will give Western fans credit, they are loyal to their team.

Continuing to arguing about this has no point, though. Hopefully Western is able to face either Trimble, Valley, or South Webster in the tournament (when it matters, not summer league or a scrimmage), and see if they are in that upper tier.

Comparing games is silly. If so you'd look at the Valley drumming of Symmes and Western losing to Symmes and think that Valley is 50+ points better than Western..... and they aren't.

Looking forward to the tournament so that these arguments, one way or another, are solved.
I don’t disagree with this. And actually that’s really all I’ve been trying to say.
All season most people were ranking Valley, SW, and Trimble 1-3 in various orders. I never said or posted a word about it regardless of my opinion. It was just the dismissive nature of the some of the comments that fired me up.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Valleys non SOC 2 Wins
Piketon by 7
Paint Valley by 31
Leesburg Fairfield by 24
Symmes Valley by 32

Waverlys non SOC 2 wins
Hurricane WV by 10
Lost to D-1 Upper Arlington in a close game, and D1 Newark in OT.

Minfords non SOC 2 wins
Southeastern by 30
Piketon by 20
Jackson by 5
Portsmouth by 28

South Websters non SOC2 wins
Belpre by 41
ND by 23
Green by 18

Thats all I could find on the top 4 in the SOC2

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:36 am I will give Western fans credit, they are loyal to their team.

I completely agree with this post. I am not from Western. I am a fan of that team, though. I've not tried to compare stats or like opponents. I just don't like how some try to discredit their success because they play in a smaller division. I've never seen anyone try to discredit the success of other D4 schools in the area when they've had similar success. IMO they have one of the better coaching staffs in the area. They'll have this team coached up and ready for a tourney run.

Return to “Boys Basketball”