#12 Jackson @ #5 Fairfield Union

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

#12 Jackson @ #5 Fairfield Union

Post by Ironman92 »

From a good source Fairfield Union didn’t want Jackson in that first game…..the Jackson team seeded 12th isn’t perfectly telling. On the negative end we are without our top scorer (at time of injury late in season), ball handler snd great defender Tristan Prater, tough break to say the least….but….big BUT we returned senior Logan Miller from knee injury and when Prater went down for the season…senior Drew Bragg, who hasn’t dressed all season decided to give what he had, be it 1 min or 6 min or 15 min to his teammates. Miller makes this team look totally different on offense as he has savvy skills in the lane and he’s a rebounding machine and ample assists, blocks snd steals….Bragg in his time gives the team a rise even though not in prime basketball speed. Jackson looked to be dangerous snd now it’s official…Jackson is dangerous.

Tonight Miller was HUGE in the first half and again late…he was everywhere and showed GREAT energy and effort…..and EVERYONE else did their role! Nate Woodard did not score but big on the defensive end again and helped set the defensive tone. Blankenship a key hall handler on a team without a point guard. Bragg played close to half the game and late and crucial…..ball is in his hand even though thoroughly exhausted…some big passes. Jarvis was big late and was a huge part of closing this thing out. Campbell 5 points and played huge minutes. Winters only 2 points but he’s just needed on the floor for the Ironmen….great energy and effort and not afraid to have ball in crunch time.

This is not the same team that earned the #12 seed

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: #12 Jackson @ #5 Fairfield Union

Post by Ironman92 »

Refs were fair throughout the game…..some ticky tack but overall a solid job that didn’t get in the way of the game.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good win for the Ironmen! Awesome for Bragg to be able to come back and contribute for them

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

I saw Jackson earlier in the year, disclosure they didn't have the Miller kid or Bragg. Not the Jackson teams I've seen in the past with Caleb Wallis. They are good not great. Now maybe Miller makes that much of a difference?
Good win tonight though.
Who you got next?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:26 am I saw Jackson earlier in the year, disclosure they didn't have the Miller kid or Bragg. Not the Jackson teams I've seen in the past with Caleb Wallis. They are good not great. Now maybe Miller makes that much of a difference?
Good win tonight though.
Who you got next?
What game did you see Jackson earlier?

Miller makes the offense go when the offense isn’t going and he’s big on the boards. Stat filler in many games. Went 31/12 at South Point

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

I caught the Jackson VC game on livestream.
I haven't saw them in person, so can't give an opinion that way.
I caught them vs Miami Trace as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:06 pm I caught the Jackson VC game on livestream.
I haven't saw them in person, so can't give an opinion that way.
I caught them vs Miami Trace as well.
Thanks

None of those with Miller or Bragg. Handled MT both times easily. Lost to VC on a buzzer beater and were not impressive that game. Give credit to VC as they were impressive that evening.

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Jackson has a good coaching staff, props to them and their players for always playing hard. You have to beat them, won't beat themselves. Not sure many ppl know what a great job their coach has done rebuilding that program.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Good luck Jackson for Logan elm ?

88champs
Waterboy

Post by 88champs »

Kudos to Jackson. Well coached TEAM. FU will struggle if nothing changes. Boys deserve better there. Comparing shooting guards can anyone tell me when should 6 ppg and 43% freethrow be favored over 13 ppg and 74% freethrow? 13 ppg player is also less turnover prone. Couldn’t see much other difference in defensive game but 13 ppg could run people down and stop a 3 on 1. Can anybody out there help me rectify this in my mind in this dazed and confused season? 6 ppg got about 28 min a game 13 ppg got about 7. Should something smell off to me?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

88champs wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:45 pm Kudos to Jackson. Well coached TEAM. FU will struggle if nothing changes. Boys deserve better there. Comparing shooting guards can anyone tell me when should 6 ppg and 43% freethrow be favored over 13 ppg and 74% freethrow? 13 ppg player is also less turnover prone. Couldn’t see much other difference in defensive game but 13 ppg could run people down and stop a 3 on 1. Can anybody out there help me rectify this in my mind in this dazed and confused season? 6 ppg got about 28 min a game 13 ppg got about 7. Should something smell off to me?
13 ppg in 7 min a game?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

88champs wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:45 pm Kudos to Jackson. Well coached TEAM. FU will struggle if nothing changes. Boys deserve better there. Comparing shooting guards can anyone tell me when should 6 ppg and 43% freethrow be favored over 13 ppg and 74% freethrow? 13 ppg player is also less turnover prone. Couldn’t see much other difference in defensive game but 13 ppg could run people down and stop a 3 on 1. Can anybody out there help me rectify this in my mind in this dazed and confused season? 6 ppg got about 28 min a game 13 ppg got about 7. Should something smell off to me?
hmmmmmm 13ppg in 7 minutes played per game ... 88champs - something DOES smell fishy here and it has nothing to do with the FU coaching staff ...

88champs
Waterboy

Post by 88champs »

No knock on staff just something needs to change in my mind. To be clear the ppg and freethrow stats are from when these junior boys played as freshman. The minutes played are from this year and approximates. As sophomores the 6 ppg didn’t play basketball for school while the 13 had some varsity minutes behind good senior talent. I’m sure its all just based on different coaching philosophies. The coach that left last year sure loved the 13 ppg kid and the kid spent alot of time in the gym during off season. They both probably averaged about the same ppg at about 5-6 this year. Would love to see what the 13 ppg kid could do with 28 minutes though.

And btw 13 ppg kid had a game with 12, a game with 11 and a game with 8 this year in about 7-8 minutes each.

Return to “Boys Basketball”