12th Annual Caldwell Redskin Varsity Boys Shoot-out June 25th!

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Re: 12th Annual Caldwell Redskin Varsity Boys Shoot-out June 25th!

Post by Riverrats »

Lot of good basketball to see this weekend and I'm looking forward to it. Marietta, Trimble, Hiland looked legit playing tight games against Meadowbrook. Sheridan and Meadowbrook are playing new kids it looks like and trying to find there way. They both played man the entire time and we're working offensive sets. Oak Glen was trounced by Trimble in the game I watched. Marietta and tree of life had a close game that I saw didn't stay until the end both teams looked pretty big. Clay Battelle had a really tall team that was beating a lot of teams. Xenia, Union Local and Batavia seemed to be some of the better teams there. Frontier looks down, Federal Hocking had some speed but is marginal. Richie County had a guard that was shooting and making a lot seemed to be one of the better players there. It's hard to tell in this setting what is what. Running click short games in high volume, teams play 6-7 games a day with different lineups based on who was available. I didn't see a lot of clean play on the last day. Kids looked pretty wore out, played sloppy and couldn't shoot. It's a great format for coaches but not so much for fans nibbing.

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

Riverrats wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:27 pm Lot of good basketball to see this weekend and I'm looking forward to it. Marietta, Trimble, Hiland looked legit playing tight games against Meadowbrook. Sheridan and Meadowbrook are playing new kids it looks like and trying to find there way. They both played man the entire time and we're working offensive sets. Oak Glen was trounced by Trimble in the game I watched. Marietta and tree of life had a close game that I saw didn't stay until the end both teams looked pretty big. Clay Battelle had a really tall team that was beating a lot of teams. Xenia, Union Local and Batavia seemed to be some of the better teams there. Frontier looks down, Federal Hocking had some speed but is marginal. Richie County had a guard that was shooting and making a lot seemed to be one of the better players there. It's hard to tell in this setting what is what. Running click short games in high volume, teams play 6-7 games a day with different lineups based on who was available. I didn't see a lot of clean play on the last day. Kids looked pretty wore out, played sloppy and couldn't shoot. It's a great format for coaches but not so much for fans nibbing.
These events usually depend on what players actually play on the team and are not at a camp, baseball, soccer, vacation, injured, etc. It appears the best pool might be Pool B with Marietta (thought to be improved but how much?) Malvern (21-5 last season) and John Glenn (reports are they will be a competitor ) in the pool. Interested in what others think going into the Caldwell event.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I’ll give you a little of what I know about each team! You’re 100% correct, most teams aren’t going to have everyone at late June events for a variety of reasons.

Caldwell-we will have Sr guards Bede Lori and Tyce Devolld Saturday. Returning 6’4 sophomore forward Alex Herlan as well. We will be without 6’4 sophomore returning starter Carter Wheeldin for baseball. We will mix in several young ones Saturday. We also play at West Lib Friday night at 8:00 and 9:00 so that first game Saturday morning should be ugly lol.

Fed Hock-returns a really solid pg and shooter from a good team last year.

Cambridge-lost a lot of seniors, don’t know much about any individuals but they do have a nice pg back and really guarded people last winter.

Black River-our farthest away competitor. Young team who is improving per their coach.

Shenandoah-will be much improved. Two solid senior wings and a good sophomore pg.

Marietta-lost their best player but have a lot of nice athletes and young talent. New coach.

John Glenn-the walker kid is a multi time all mvl selection. Well coached and always solid.

Malvern-Really good team. Depth, shooting, great pg. I’m not sad to see them move up to D3

Fort-returning virtually everyone. Will be much improved

Western-don’t know what they return but they were 1 game from Dayton last March.

Trail-has to replace their pg but have a really good senior big Garrett Burga and lots of size. Their JV team won 20 games in the IVC last year.

Morgan-loses a great senior forward but return basically everyone else!

*As a side note, these things are grind it out affairs, end of the day kids are done!

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Nice write-up that I'm sure coach has already saw in the Marietta Times about Caldwell and summer league play as well as a few other local teams mentioned across the river.
https://www.mariettatimes.com/sports/20 ... ake-moves/

Go Blue
Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

caldwellbasketball wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:36 pm I’ll give you a little of what I know about each team! You’re 100% correct, most teams aren’t going to have everyone at late June events for a variety of reasons.

Caldwell-we will have Sr guards Bede Lori and Tyce Devolld Saturday. Returning 6’4 sophomore forward Alex Herlan as well. We will be without 6’4 sophomore returning starter Carter Wheeldin for baseball. We will mix in several young ones Saturday. We also play at West Lib Friday night at 8:00 and 9:00 so that first game Saturday morning should be ugly lol.

Cambridge-lost a lot of seniors, don’t know much about any individuals but they do have a nice pg back and really guarded people last winter.

Black River-our farthest away competitor. Young team who is improving per their coach.

Shenandoah-will be much improved. Two solid senior wings and a good sophomore pg.

Marietta-lost their best player but have a lot of nice athletes and young talent. New coach.

John Glenn-the walker kid is a multi time all mvl selection. Well coached and always solid.

Malvern-Really good team. Depth, shooting, great pg. I’m not sad to see them move up to D3

Western-don’t know what they return but they were 1 game from Dayton last March.

Trail-has to replace their pg but have a really good senior big Garrett Burga and lots of size. Their JV team won 20 games in the IVC last year.

*As a side note, these things are grind it out affairs, end of the day kids are done!
Does Federal Hocker have that one kid back that shouldn't have been playing against Trimble? If they didn't play him they wouldn't have beaten us. Watch out for him.

Don’t hate us just because you ain’t us.
Billy Brave
Freshman Team

Post by Billy Brave »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:47 am
caldwellbasketball wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:36 pm I’ll give you a little of what I know about each team! You’re 100% correct, most teams aren’t going to have everyone at late June events for a variety of reasons.

Does Federal Hocker have that one kid back that shouldn't have been playing against Trimble? If they didn't play him they wouldn't have beaten us. Watch out for him.
Yes word on the street is he was a red shirt last year so he's back this year. So at least you have that to look forward to. :mrgreen:

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

Caldwell Redskin Summer Shootout 2022

June 25th

Pool A
1. Caldwell -- 18-7 last year. Leading scorer back. Should be sold team.
2. Cambridge -- 6-16. Expect a few more wins this season.
3. Federal Hocking -- 16-6. Couple of key players back. Should put together another good record.
4. Black River -- 6-17. No information on them.

Pool B
5. John Glenn -- 13-11. One of best players in the region leads them again. Look for a few more wins in 2022-23.
6. Shenandoah -- 1-20. Lost five close games last season. Will be better but how much so?
7. Marietta -- 6-17. Lost leading scorer to graduation, but winning more this summer. Could be a major comeback year for Tigers.
8. Malvern -- 21-5. Lost its tp player from last year but some pieces back. Will be good.

Pool C
9. Fort Frye -- 8-14. Young team last year. Improvement expected.
10. Western -- 25-3. Coming off great season. Not sure what they have back.
11. Buckeye Trail -- 10-14. No info on what they have coming back.
12. Morgan --10-16. I've seen positive reports this summer expecting a better record in 2022-23.

Obviously, not much in depth. If last year's records are incorrect, or anyone has more details to add please do.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

We actually lost one of our two senior guards Tyce Devolld to an ankle injury playing at West Liberty so he’s unavailable tomorrow! Lots of young ones will get time!

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

We actually lost one of our two senior guards Tyce Devolld to an ankle injury playing at West Liberty so he’s unavailable tomorrow! Lots of young ones will get time!

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Heard Fort Frye went 4-0 beating Western, Morgan ,Cambridge and Trail.

Lost in tournament by 2 to Federal Hocking.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Results: record w crossover opponent in parentheses

Pool A:
Caldwell 4-0 (John Glenn)
Fed Hock 2-2 (Marietta)
Black River 1-3 (Trail)
Cambridge 0-4 (Fort)

Pool B:
Malvern 3-1 (Morgan. Loss to Marietta by 1)
Marietta 3-1 (Fed Hock. Loss to John Glenn)
John Glenn 2-2 (losses to Malvern by 2 and Caldwell)
Shenandoah 1-3 (beat western in crossover)

Pool C:
Fort 4-0 (Cambridge)
Trail 3-1 (Black River)
Western 1-3 (lost crossover to Shenandoah)
Morgan 0-4 (Malvern)

Tournament:
Marietta 34 Morgan 16
Black River 29 Western 23
John Glenn 34 Cambridge 21
Fed Hock 35 Fort 33

Marietta 30 Trail 22
Caldwell 44 Black River 13
John Glenn 29 Malvern 25

Caldwell 31 Marietta 21
John Glenn 46 Fed Hock 32

Championship:
John Glenn 31 Caldwell 27

*pool play games 24 minutes tournament games 20 minutes. Shenandoah didn’t play in the tournament

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Cambridge had a few guys out I know. Just beat Upper Arlington not too long ago. JG will have a solid season. Don't see SE district sending too many teams to Dayton this year though.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

AnkleBraces wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:05 pm Cambridge had a few guys out I know. Just beat Upper Arlington not too long ago. JG will have a solid season. Don't see SE district sending too many teams to Dayton this year though.
Athens regional May have 2 teams from SE and 2 teams from Eastern district. Possibly No Columbus team there ?

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

caldwellbasketball wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:21 pm Results: record w crossover opponent in parentheses

Pool A:
Fed Hock 2-2 (Marietta)
Black River 1-3 (Trail)
Cambridge 0-4 (Fort)

Pool B:

Pool C:
Fort 4-0 (Cambridge)
Trail 3-1 (Black River)
Morgan 0-4 (Malvern)

Tournament:
Marietta 34 Morgan 16
Fed Hock 35 Fort 33

Marietta 30 Trail 22
John Glenn 29 Malvern 25

Caldwell 31 Marietta 21

Championship:

*pool play games 24 minutes tournament games 20 minutes. Shenandoah didn’t play in the tournament
Lots of really close games in pool play but not as much during the tournament. I believe most of these teams appear to be headed for winning seasons, although in some cases an evaluation is not reliable not knowing for sure what players weren't there Saturday. Others may see things differently, but looks like Caldwell, Marietta and John Glenn may have the best upside / chances for excellent seasons. Having said that the competition was fairly even all day so others will have different opinions.

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Pioneer77 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:30 am
caldwellbasketball wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:21 pm Results: record w crossover opponent in parentheses

Pool A:
Fed Hock 2-2 (Marietta)
Black River 1-3 (Trail)
Cambridge 0-4 (Fort)

Pool B:

Pool C:
Fort 4-0 (Cambridge)
Trail 3-1 (Black River)
Morgan 0-4 (Malvern)

Tournament:
Marietta 34 Morgan 16
Fed Hock 35 Fort 33

Marietta 30 Trail 22
John Glenn 29 Malvern 25

Caldwell 31 Marietta 21

Championship:

Lots of really close games in pool play but not as much during the tournament. I believe most of these teams appear to be headed for winning seasons, although in some cases an evaluation is not reliable not knowing for sure what players weren't there Saturday. Others may see things differently, but looks like Caldwell, Marietta and John Glenn may have the best upside / chances for excellent seasons. Having said that the competition was fairly even all day so others will have different opinions.

I agree that everyone will be solid and competitive. Factoring in that most schools were missing someone who matters to their rotations as well. Examples like western missing one of their three returning players, Cambridge missing their pg, we were without our second and third best players. I enjoy days like that because it gives younger guys an opportunity to show what they can do. We played one sr, one jr and 6 freshmen and sophomores yesterday who all made a case that i can rely on them, absolutely beneficial for developing depth which can be tough at small schools. I appreciate all 11 schools who joined us yesterday, i thought it went really well. November will be here before we know it.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Great rundown on this event. Thanks to all who did 👏

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

I remember hearing how great Caldwell was going to be last year and it was going to be a really big test for the Tomcats. Then Howie's boys housed them and we didn't hear much about them after that. Pre season is great but the when the season starts that's when we find out what everybody is made of.

redskinwitness
Varsity

Post by redskinwitness »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 am I remember hearing how great Caldwell was going to be last year and it was going to be a really big test for the Tomcats. Then Howie's boys housed them and we didn't hear much about them after that. Pre season is great but the when the season starts that's when we find out what everybody is made of.
Haha, I watched that game, Caldwell led that until early 4th quarter and Trimble was all seniors, Caldwell had 2 freshmen and 2 juniors on the court most of the game. Caldwell ended up with 18 or 19 wins and lost around the same point in the tournament in a tougher district. I spoke to coach a few weeks ago and asked him what the schedule looked like for next winter, Trimble wasn’t on the schedule.

Tomcat Queen
JV Team

Post by Tomcat Queen »

redskinwitness wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:51 am
Tomcat Queen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:59 am I remember hearing how great Caldwell was going to be last year and it was going to be a really big test for the Tomcats. Then Howie's boys housed them and we didn't hear much about them after that. Pre season is great but the when the season starts that's when we find out what everybody is made of.
Haha, I watched that game, Caldwell led that until early 4th quarter and Trimble was all seniors, Caldwell had 2 freshmen and 2 juniors on the court most of the game. Caldwell ended up with 18 or 19 wins and lost around the same point in the tournament in a tougher district. I spoke to coach a few weeks ago and asked him what the schedule looked like for next winter, Trimble wasn’t on the schedule.
Pretty sure Trimble won that game. But I don't blame you for making excuses. It sucks to lose. We'll see if the hype about Caldwell is legitimate this year or if it's the same as last year once the season is in full swing. Good luck to your team and be glad you don't face Howie again this year because he's hard to beat. But you know that already know that from last year.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Tomcat Queen wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:58 am
redskinwitness wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:51 am
Pretty sure Trimble won that game. But I don't blame you for making excuses. It sucks to lose. We'll see if the hype about Caldwell is legitimate this year or if it's the same as last year once the season is in full swing. Good luck to your team and be glad you don't face Howie again this year because he's hard to beat. But you know that already know that from last year.
How will Trimble be this year versus last years team? Who is back? Who will be toughest teams on Trimble’s schedule this upcoming season?

Return to “Boys Basketball”