D3 Regional Wheelersburg Pirates vs Sugarcreek Garaway Pirates

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: D3 Regional Wheelersburg Pirates vs Sugarcreek Garaway Pirates

Post by pfloyd »

DaWoodSoldier wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:17 am Wood fans perspective on Garaway, for what it s worth.

The Roden twins are Garaway's 2 best players(WR/DB On Football team). #22 and #23. Both are really nice athletes, both really solid at all aspects of the game. I feel like their strength is their defensive play with their length. have uncanny ability to contest shots while leaving their feet and not committing fouls. Both handle ball well and see floor well. Solid shooters but better at attacking the rim.

#20 Mullet(Not a Football guy)
Short non athletic build. Will shoot it from anywhere with little space, quick release. Against Wood didnt make much yet required alot of attention in all 3 matchups. *IF gets hot could be a factor, if doesnt he probably hurts Garaway helps Burg. Not great defensively. Whoever he defends should have a good matchup

PG- Yoder(QB of football team) Not great size, but plays hard. Not great basketball player but will make plays. Streaky scorer and typically shows up when team needs him to make a play.(shot/steal/rebound etc. Gutty kid

Post- Wallick(Hell of a football player OL/DL) Big physical kid who is pretty athletic. Gives them physicality on defensive end and rebounding. Not a scoring threat but will take perimeter shot if left open. Capable shooter but guy on this team you want taking shots. Can score in post but not great.

Bench- Gerber(Wr/Db on football team) sophomore guard, nice player. Solid ball handler and decent shooter. Will play significant minutes.

Only other player to give quality minutes is a SR post player that will give Wallick sub rest. Not very thick but plays hard and is deceptively capable scorer rebounder.

DWS ! - nailed it !!! spot on with the scouting report - well done ...

... Key Napkin Stat :

3 pointers ... Garaway 12/16 ... Drew Mullet 9 ... Alexander Roden 3
Scoring ... Drew Mullet 27, Alexander Roden 24
... the LENGTH of Garaway ... 6-2 bodies with 6-7 wing spans

...Wheelersburg - no answers only 1/6 from beyond the arc ...of Garaway's first 7 fgs 6 were from Downtown - SEPARATION ... Game, set and match...

Garaway 64
Wheelersburg 45 a final

DaWoodSoldier
Riding the Bench

Post by DaWoodSoldier »

pfloyd wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:15 am
DaWoodSoldier wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:17 am Wood fans perspective on Garaway, for what it s worth.

The Roden twins are Garaway's 2 best players(WR/DB On Football team). #22 and #23. Both are really nice athletes, both really solid at all aspects of the game. I feel like their strength is their defensive play with their length. have uncanny ability to contest shots while leaving their feet and not committing fouls. Both handle ball well and see floor well. Solid shooters but better at attacking the rim.

Short non athletic build. Will shoot it from anywhere with little space, quick release. Against Wood didnt make much yet required alot of attention in all 3 matchups. *IF gets hot could be a factor, if doesnt he probably hurts Garaway helps Burg. Not great defensively. Whoever he defends should have a good matchup

PG- Yoder(QB of football team) Not great size, but plays hard. Not great basketball player but will make plays. Streaky scorer and typically shows up when team needs him to make a play.(shot/steal/rebound etc. Gutty kid

Post- Wallick(Hell of a football player OL/DL) Big physical kid who is pretty athletic. Gives them physicality on defensive end and rebounding. Not a scoring threat but will take perimeter shot if left open. Capable shooter but guy on this team you want taking shots. Can score in post but not great.

Bench- Gerber(Wr/Db on football team) sophomore guard, nice player. Solid ball handler and decent shooter. Will play significant minutes.

Only other player to give quality minutes is a SR post player that will give Wallick sub rest. Not very thick but plays hard and is deceptively capable scorer rebounder.

... Key Napkin Stat :

...Wheelersburg - no answers only 1/6 from beyond the arc ...of Garaway's first 7 fgs 6 were from Downtown - SEPARATION ... Game, set and match...

Garaway 64
Wheelersburg 45 a final
Lol, Thx. I have watched them 3 times against the Wood this year and am very familiar with their Junior class. Garaway is all Juniors with some sophomore and freshmen talent coming. Were the same way in football this past season. I think it was hands down best football team Wood played last year and will be very good in both sports again next year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

DaWoodSoldier wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:56 am
pfloyd wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:15 am

... Key Napkin Stat :

Garaway 64
Wheelersburg 45 a final
Lol, Thx. I have watched them 3 times against the Wood this year and am very familiar with their Junior class. Garaway is all Juniors with some sophomore and freshmen talent coming. Were the same way in football this past season. I think it was hands down best football team Wood played last year and will be very good in both sports again next year.
Yes, a tremendously accurate pregame report

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:07 pm I agree the zone was odd. I totally understand trying it but with the way Garaway shot it you have to adjust. The one kid for Garaway made 9 threes alone. 9! And they were all with his feet set wide open off ball reversal.

Garaway has good athletes but Burg definitely could have matched up with them man to man.
I think they went with what got them there. Another factor to consider is the width of the court. A whole lot easier to close out and rotate defensively on a smaller court. Garaway did a great job maintaining their spacing.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Congrats to Burg on a great post season run!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Congratulations to Garaway on the win. Best wishes Saturday. Nice season Burg.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:59 am
bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:07 pm I agree the zone was odd. I totally understand trying it but with the way Garaway shot it you have to adjust. The one kid for Garaway made 9 threes alone. 9! And they were all with his feet set wide open off ball reversal.

Garaway has good athletes but Burg definitely could have matched up with them man to man.
I think they went with what got them there. Another factor to consider is the width of the court. A whole lot easier to close out and rotate defensively on a smaller court. Garaway did a great job maintaining their spacing.
I fully understand WHY they started in it and even stuck with it for a long time. I'm just surprised they stuck with it down 10+ in the second half when it clearly wasn't working. Burg has plenty of athletes to match up with basically anyone.

Heck, if you remember early on in the 4th quarter Garaway played keep away with the ball for a solid minute or more. They just spaced it out and made 15+ passes killing the clock..... then right on cue passed to Mullett (sp?) in the corner for a wide open 3.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:40 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:59 am

I fully understand WHY they started in it and even stuck with it for a long time. I'm just surprised they stuck with it down 10+ in the second half when it clearly wasn't working. Burg has plenty of athletes to match up with basically anyone.

Heck, if you remember early on in the 4th quarter Garaway played keep away with the ball for a solid minute or more. They just spaced it out and made 15+ passes killing the clock..... then right on cue passed to Mullett (sp?) in the corner for a wide open 3.
I agree with your assessment. I even said to the guy next to me, they need to man up. The only explanation I can think of is they didn’t prepare for it, or was worried they’d over defend. Garaway runs that Backdoor offense. I thought a 1-3-1 may have helped because they could have fronted that high post pass that they ran their offense through.

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Way to finish strong down the stretch, pirates

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Good run for BURG, they always seem to overachieve. Congratulations to Garaway on the win and good luck going forward.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast

Return to “Boys Basketball”