SEOPS Hippo

Re: Regional Semi-Final: Valley vs Western

Post by Ironman92 »

Good luck to both!

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

The other game will be Newark Catholic vs Berlin Hiland. Hiland has to be the favorite- NC is a scrappy team and number 2 and I think 23 carry their team. The way Berlin Hiland and NC like to play defense the first to 40 wins. NC gets a lead they will slow it down to give to their 2 studs.
Last edited by bsee12345 on Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

bsee12345 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:10 pm The other game will be Newark Catholic vs Berlin Hiland. Hiland has to be the favorite- NC is a crappy team and number 2 and I think 23 carry their team. The way Berlin Hiland and NC like to play defense the first to 40 wins. NC gets a lead they will slow it down to give to their 2 studs.
Crappy or scrappy? 😂

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Early gut feeling is Valley by 6. This game features the gutsiest of the kids left in SE district D4….Valley just keeps going without let up and Western kids are poised and getting it done. Western can win this game…Valley can win this game. Should be a lot of fun.

bsee12345
Varsity

Post by bsee12345 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:09 pm
bsee12345 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:10 pm The other game will be Newark Catholic vs Berlin Hiland. Hiland has to be the favorite- NC is a crappy team and number 2 and I think 23 carry their team. The way Berlin Hiland and NC like to play defense the first to 40 wins. NC gets a lead they will slow it down to give to their 2 studs.
Crappy or scrappy? 😂
Fixed- it was scrappy. Would not call any team making it to the Sweet 16 crappy.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Should be a good one.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

I'll be taking Western in this game. I think it will be a tight one with runs throughout. I think the Western gets this wrap as a defensive minded team and while I think that is fair and their hands are the most active I have seen all year, I think people truly underestimate their offense. Coach Williams's sets are very very excellent and the way that Valley like to guard a step or two above the three point line really allows Western to get the spacing they want. Also, Western has kids that can straight get them a bucket, which is so pivotal at this point, with Miller leading that charge.

I believe senior leadership will play a large part in this game and I think if things get tight, Western really may have the poise for it.

I wouldn't doubt Valley winning this for a second though and it will be a fun game Tuesday night.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Any chance at a stream anywhere?

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

;)
Last edited by FIDO on Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

This is Valley's game to lose. Everyone has said it all year. SOC 2 is just better. They have been tested all year and for the most part have came out on top. Leesburg gave them all they wanted. But I am not sure Valley coulda played much worse for 3 quarters. Western has had a good run but the superior team advances here. Valley 62-47

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

Valley teetered last game like Trimble did with Notre Dame, the next game Western really didn’t have much trouble with Trimble. I see this pattern continuing. Western has been rolling since very early season and getting better and better. I’m going Western by 8.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The best D4 teams in SEOhio have stepped up in the post season - from the preseason on it has always been Trimble, Valley, Western and Fed Hock ... early on when I saw Trimble/Valley/Western and when I talked about D4's these teams in my mind play the same brand of hoops - they LIKE/PREFER to get out and push the ball ... 32 minutes of transition basketball - they would all 3 be happy ... all 3 will pressure the ball 94 ft/32 minutes to get the tempo where THEY like it, where THEY feel comfortable ... it's shown in the tourney that when Trimble HAD to play in the half court due to having to juggle positions with Weber's injury - they struggled, out of their comfort zone ... Western and Valley ??? obviously what has been proven ON the Court they are the 2 best left standing ... between the 2, I STILL feel that Western is the best TEAM out there ... stars? they absolutely have outstanding players/ROLE players ... players that after going through a tough stretch early in the season - have bought into TEAM, "WE before ME", "one for all, all for one" - the players KNOW they are only as good as TEAM working together for 32 minutes ... Valley is outstanding! will be outstanding again next season!!! ... I watched Valley play the BEST 16 minutes of basketball by ANY team I have watched all season when they put up 52 points in the 1st half vs Symmes Valley on a neutral court at Ironton ... I also saw a team that has players who are outstanding individual players who try to "go it on their own" at times - not a bad thing just that the reliance on TEAM isn't there - one on one, lots of dribbling to "create" their own shot(s), quick on the trigger from beyond the arc "at times" ...in the one and done season - possessions are like gold - valuable ... like time, possessions are hard to get back when playing the caliber of teams in regional play, usually with a poor possession there are consequences at the opposite end... We'll see!!! I'll be there for sure in the Convo for the "REAL - Basketball :30 !!! ... 2 outstanding teams in Valley and Western ! WE as fans are going to enjoy the heck out of this game no matter what !!! I'm a TEAM first kind of guy - that's why I like the Logan Elms, Warrens, Trimbles of the SEOhio basketball world - I'm favoring TEAM Western Pike in this one ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LetsBeReal
JV Team

Post by LetsBeReal »

Valley by 15.

Western Could steal this game If Valley comes out slow. Western does a good job at punching you in the mouth and keeping teams wobbled. But if we see Valley playing to their potential they will win. Think this game is in 6-10 valley favor until free throws.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

Western peaking. Western by 4

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

Harambe wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:59 am This is Valley's game to lose. Everyone has said it all year. SOC 2 is just better. They have been tested all year and for the most part have came out on top. Leesburg gave them all they wanted. But I am not sure Valley coulda played much worse for 3 quarters. Western has had a good run but the superior team advances here. Valley 62-47
I've watched both teams several times this year. Undoubtedly, the superior TEAM is Western. Valley has guys that can absolutely light it up. However, Valley is a team of runs and is much more inconsistent than Western. Western just didn't get rattled. They get down some, they don't panic. I'm not sure Valley can handle the defensive pressure that Western will apply...... Valley is known to lose their composure at times. When things don't go their way, it creates issues for them. When things do go their way.... look out. The only problem I see is the potential mismatch Stuart may cause. It'll be a close game. 54-51 Western

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Pfloyd, I know purple is your favorite color, but now that we have made you an honorary Western Indian, it would be nice to see you in a green shirt Tuesday!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ukfanatic wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:29 pm Pfloyd, I know purple is your favorite color, but now that we have made you an honorary Western Indian, it would be nice to see you in a green shirt Tuesday!
His disdain for Athens will probably keep that from happening 😁

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Western plays great team basketball. If Stewart is on Valley can beat anyone. Western played great defense on Guffey

Baseball_Dad
Riding the Bench

Post by Baseball_Dad »

Kind of surprised that Valley is being viewed as the underdog on here. They have 4 losses, 2 to Waverly, 1 to Minford, and 1 to South Webster. They had a lead or were tied in the 4th quarter of all 4. They've had some ups and downs in their play, but they've been tested all year long. Both teams are different, but a year ago this was a 40 point game in favor of Valley. The kids they have on the court have been tested in big spots across multiple sports and are quite decorated as a group. Having said that, I am impressed with Western. Very solid squad and seem to be playing well at the right time. Coach Williams does an excellent job and his squad will be ready. I just think Valley has the superior athletes who have been through the fire. Valley 62 - Western 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”