D2 Regional Semi Waverly (1 Seed) vs McClain (2 Seed)

smurray
SEOPS HO

D2 Regional Semi Waverly (1 Seed) vs McClain (2 Seed)

Post by smurray »

Waverly with a dominating win over Jackson and McClain with the win over Sheridan, pulling away in the 4th.

It’s the orange & black Tigers and the purple & gold Tigers.
Both teams are senior heavy with a lot of experience.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: D2 Regional Semi Waverly (1 Seed) vs McClain (2 Seed)

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Waverly wins this game this year….no clue which team will win this matchup of schools next year.

Both teams have their coveted district championship, I think Waverly’s goal has been at least a final 4.

Waverly by 12

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Waverly by 10.

McClainTigerfan
Waterboy

Post by McClainTigerfan »

Should be another classic … sure will be nice to be back in the Convo for sure!!! The purple and gold Tiger fans have been waiting a long time to make a return trip!! After going what seemed to be every year it’s been a looooong time!!

Just curious … who are the other two teams in the regional?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

McClain 68
Waverly 61

Before I get rotten bananas thrown at me I want to be clear. Just because I pick a team to win doesn’t mean I want them to. McClain has really impressed me this year when I’ve seen them. Not that Waverly can’t win this game but for some reason I’m just feeling McClain here.

DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

Waverly wins this easier than one might think.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

McClainTigerfan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:56 am Should be another classic … sure will be nice to be back in the Convo for sure!!! The purple and gold Tiger fans have been waiting a long time to make a return trip!! After going what seemed to be every year it’s been a looooong time!!

I believe Heath (22-3) will take on Meadowbrook (23-3).
I believe either of the SEO teams can compete with Meadowbrook. I know nothing of Heath. The path to the final four in D2 for the SEO Tigers will be hard.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

Omega wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:47 am
McClainTigerfan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:56 am Should be another classic … sure will be nice to be back in the Convo for sure!!! The purple and gold Tiger fans have been waiting a long time to make a return trip!! After going what seemed to be every year it’s been a looooong time!!

I believe Heath (22-3) will take on Meadowbrook (23-3).
I believe either of the SEO teams can compete with Meadowbrook. I know nothing of Heath. The path to the final four in D2 for the SEO Tigers will be hard.
Heath is very big and very good, 6'6, 6'5 6'8 kids. As stated earlier Waverly, McClain and Meadowbrook are all competitive. Heath is that supposed next tier but we will see. Hoping one of the three can knock them off.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

McClain by 4

Badgley and Toney are on a mission. Waverly will likely keep Badgley from going off but from what I’ve watched Toney will be a matchup problem. He’s strong with a good inside and out game and can pass. Teams are having trouble with his game. This Greenfield bunch has a big chip on their shoulders and they don’t care or believe that Waverly is the favorite.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Coach Robertson IS one of the best "scouters" of teams out there, he is meticulous in his planning ... I'm going to guess that he has a copy of THIS game somewhere to draw on :

Jackson 31
McClain 28 a final

McClain Napkin Stats for the game ...

Scoring ... Badgley 10, Wright 6, Toney 4, Potts 4, Saunders 2, Wise 2
3 Pointers ... 0/10
FTs ... 8/15
TOs ... 19
PnP ... 8fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

... fgs by quarter: 2fgs ... 2 fgs ... 4 fgs ... 2 fgs

... McClain CAN BE "defended" just as McClain CAN "defend"/"play physical" ...

... will be a great strategy game to watch for the execution ... best of luck to both teams

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:53 am Coach Robertson IS one of the best "scouters" of teams out there, he is meticulous in his planning ... I'm going to guess that he has a copy of THIS game somewhere to draw on :

Jackson 31
McClain 28 a final

McClain Napkin Stats for the game ...

Scoring ... Badgley 10, Wright 6, Toney 4, Potts 4, Saunders 2, Wise 2
3 Pointers ... 0/10
FTs ... 8/15
TOs ... 19
PnP ... 8fgs/16 points in the paint
PnT ... 1 fg/ 2 points in transition
Pbk ... 2 fgs/ 4 points off of offensive boards

... fgs by quarter: 2fgs ... 2 fgs ... 4 fgs ... 2 fgs

... McClain CAN BE "defended" just as McClain CAN "defend"/"play physical" ...

... will be a great strategy game to watch for the execution ... best of luck to both teams
McClain rarely at any point had an open shot that game but we played them again and they had a lot of better shots, so they can adjust. I do think their first trip to the Convo won’t be as comforting as their home background. Trey will love the big open court and Futhey is so athletic he could prevail as well.

Can Braylen Robertson get his spot and hit a few, can Wade Futhey hit a few? The others looked to struggle with their shot but Waverly has PLENTY to score with McClain.

Will be very interesting how this game goes. McClain had no luck with Reico so Trey’s going to be a problem as well. If you’ve never faced him it’s tough the first time as you can’t simulate his games speed/efficiency. Like I said, his bad game will be 17 points and he’ll give others 15 good shot attempts….so if Futhey doesn’t finish (or out in foul trouble) and B Robertson and Wade Futhey aren’t hitting those open shots…..that’s McClain’s hope. It’s doable but won’t be likely that all those things happen.

Vik
JV Team

Post by Vik »

McClain jumps out and leads entire game and then loses final minute and Waverly escapes 68-66

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Go Waverly!

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

I haven't seen Greenfield play at all. How is their guard play against teams that really like to press and pressure the opposing guards? It may not be a factor at all. Should be a great game between two teams that both have had outstanding seasons.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Heath is the best team in this regional. Columbus team usually wins this regional. Having said that, the other 3 teams have a punchers chance to go to Dayton. They have to be at their very best to have a chance.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

VetteMan wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:00 pm I haven't seen Greenfield play at all. How is their guard play against teams that really like to press and pressure the opposing guards? It may not be a factor at all. Should be a great game between two teams that both have had outstanding seasons.
This is a senior heavy team. I believe they play 7 seniors. They have the FAC player if the year and strong guard play. Not saying the Waverly pressure will have no impact but I doubt it plays a significant role in this game.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Beechcroft going down really opened up this Regional for the SEO teams. Not saying they will advance, but they have a better chance against Heath than they do Beechcroft. Beechcroft was the odds on favorite to win this region.

Heath is very good, don't get me wrong. They play a great schedule and knocked off some really good teams to get here. As stated before their size will give plenty of teams problems.

Heath has only lost 3 games all year:

- Bishop Ready by 1 in OT (20-4 team who just lost by 3 to Afrientric in the D3 District Final),

- Linden McKinley by 5 (who is in the Sweet 16 in D2)

- D2 Jonathan Alder (another solid team who lost in Districts)

Heath is led by 6'8" Brandon McLaughlin who is committed to D2 Malone. He isn't some big stiff either, he's very athletic and blocks a ton of shots. They also start 6'5" Josh Guy, 6'3" Reece Huber, and the schools all time assist leader in 6'4" Keylan Williams. All seniors.

Heath is very good and peaking at the right time.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I don't see this game being as close as some are predicting. Robertson is going to go off as usual and the surrounding cast will take care of the rest. Waverly by 14.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:25 am Beechcroft going down really opened up this Regional for the SEO teams. Not saying they will advance, but they have a better chance against Heath than they do Beechcroft. Beechcroft was the odds on favorite to win this region.

Heath is very good, don't get me wrong. They play a great schedule and knocked off some really good teams to get here. As stated before their size will give plenty of teams problems.

Heath has only lost 3 games all year:

- Bishop Ready by 1 in OT (20-4 team who just lost by 3 to Afrientric in the D3 District Final),

- Linden McKinley by 5 (who is in the Sweet 16 in D2)

- D2 Jonathan Alder (another solid team who lost in Districts)

Heath is led by 6'8" Brandon McLaughlin who is committed to D2 Malone. He isn't some big stiff either, he's very athletic and blocks a ton of shots. They also start 6'5" Josh Guy, 6'3" Reece Huber, and the schools all time assist leader in 6'4" Keylan Williams. All seniors.

Heath is very good and peaking at the right time.
Heath is extremely good and a tough matchup for anyone. They played Waverly last year during the regular season and they were a handful. Believe that game went to double OT.

3rd String
Freshman Team

Post by 3rd String »

64-59 In favor of the TIgers. Late free throws, seal the deal.

Return to “Boys Basketball”