D2 Regional Semi Waverly (1 Seed) vs McClain (2 Seed)

McClainTigerfan
Waterboy

Re: D2 Regional Semi Waverly (1 Seed) vs McClain (2 Seed)

Post by McClainTigerfan »

Wow what a game tonight!! Hats off to Waverly on the W tonight!!! It was a battle for 4+ qtr so!!! SEO basketball at its best with hard nosed defense and making key shots when they were needed and two huge fan bases showing up to support their kids.Unfortunately for my purple and gold Tigers we just didn’t make enough of them! I said after watching game one that I thought whoever won this matchup had a super chance to head to Dayton and I stand behind that … best of luck to Waverly and represent the SE District strong! To My Tigers … it’s been a hell of a ride. Thanks for the great season!! Keep them heads up!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

McClainTigerfan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:09 am Wow what a game tonight!! Hats off to Waverly on the W tonight!!! It was a battle for 4+ qtr so!!! SEO basketball at its best with hard nosed defense and making key shots when they were needed and two huge fan bases showing up to support their kids.Unfortunately for my purple and gold Tigers we just didn’t make enough of them! I said after watching game one that I thought whoever won this matchup had a super chance to head to Dayton and I stand behind that … best of luck to Waverly and represent the SE District strong! To My Tigers … it’s been a hell of a ride. Thanks for the great season!! Keep them heads up!!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

McClainTigerfan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:09 am Wow what a game tonight!! Hats off to Waverly on the W tonight!!! It was a battle for 4+ qtr so!!! SEO basketball at its best with hard nosed defense and making key shots when they were needed and two huge fan bases showing up to support their kids.Unfortunately for my purple and gold Tigers we just didn’t make enough of them! I said after watching game one that I thought whoever won this matchup had a super chance to head to Dayton and I stand behind that … best of luck to Waverly and represent the SE District strong! To My Tigers … it’s been a hell of a ride. Thanks for the great season!! Keep them heads up!!
. Heath is really good. Long and athletic 2-3 big time players. Waverly better shoot well and have 2-3 guys who can help Robertson. Could be a classic.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I’ve watched the replay. Even slowed it down and I didn’t like the charge call at all. I didn’t watch any other play so not really sure how the rest of the game was called and my opinion may be completely out of context but just based off other regional games I’ve witnessed and how the games were called I didn’t like it. Trey’s shoulder was definitely not lowered. He actually kinda twisted his body to avoid the contact and looked pretty parallel to the defender from the angle I had. The contact looked to be on the top half of the body and the kid definitely sold it. If this is called in the 2nd qtr I don’t think anyone probably questions it but would’ve been a tough call to lose on. Fortunately Waverly showed the grit to pull it off. Hats off and congrats on an elite 8 appearance.

Tigerhawk123
Waterboy

Post by Tigerhawk123 »

Good to see Willie Hobbs and Bill Hoover still at it on the sidelines. Waverly staff had a great game plan and the kids executed it well. Purple Nation back in full force at the Convo after 13 years. As we all know, once you get that taste, you want to go back every year. Heath-Waverly could be a bloodbath in the paint. The next officiating crew will have their hands full.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

smurray wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:08 pm Charge call was awful….
Ok, I’ve watched the video. I can’t argue the call after watching it over and over.
Watching it live I thought Trey was in the air first.
Trey def didn’t dip his shoulder to initiate contact as one poster commented.
It was a bang bang play with time winding down and a great play by both players. The call was a charge and you can’t argue it - just glad the orange & black Tigers prevailed in OT.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Congrats Waverly!

Heath is very, very good and has knocked out some really good teams to get here. Waverly can beat them but it will not be easy.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

The things I saw that stood out about Heath was their defense. They are one of the best teams I've seen at switching on screens and playing help. The switches also never give you a worse defender since everyone is either big, fast or both. Obviously their size and the outside shooting of #35 was expected. You get very little inside offense other than guard slashes, they negate your bigs underneath and continually push your guards back away from the rim. Toward the end of their game with Meadowbrook there was about three feet around the rim with no one around and the game was being played completely up top. It will be a tough one with Waverly having a team built a lot like Meadowbrook. Singleton got 32 and the rest of team had 12. The colts big Dorsey 6'5 had 23 points and 17 rebounds in the district final against a big Tri Valley team, double double against New Philly with size similar to Heath, but only 5 points and 5 rebounds against Heath. He is no slouch. Other underneath player (6'3) had 4 rebounds. Singleton was their leading rebounder with 8 and he is 5'11. Waverly needs to play up tempo on both ends and make them pay from outside with more than just Robertson or Heath will win. I also feel like they need to be prepared to get off 3s immediately. Shooters who have a slow release or hesitant won't get accurate shots off. You need great catch and shoot outside guys like Singleton. Good luck.

Shoedaddy
Freshman Team

Post by Shoedaddy »

Heath is going to be a really difficult matchup for Waverly with their size. Teams with more than one big do that to many teams. Not sure who guards #35? Heath also has an advantage by playing a team in Meadowbrook that is VERY similar to Waverly. They had a guard that played much like Robertson, scored 27 a game, shot if from anywhere, took it to the rack. Meadowbrook didn't have anyone else willing to shoot. Hopefully Waverly's role players hit some shots and Trey shoots it more like normal. For Waverly to shoot 40% from the field and 19% from behind the arc and still win is impressive. If I were setting a line I would say Heath -4.5, last night I set the McClain game at Waverly -5.5 (no gambling, just for reference). I hope I'm wrong on this one by 5 pts or more.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

Shoedaddy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:46 am Heath is going to be a really difficult matchup for Waverly with their size. Teams with more than one big do that to many teams. Not sure who guards #35? Heath also has an advantage by playing a team in Meadowbrook that is VERY similar to Waverly. They had a guard that played much like Robertson, scored 27 a game, shot if from anywhere, took it to the rack. Meadowbrook didn't have anyone else willing to shoot. Hopefully Waverly's role players hit some shots and Trey shoots it more like normal. For Waverly to shoot 40% from the field and 19% from behind the arc and still win is impressive. If I were setting a line I would say Heath -4.5, last night I set the McClain game at Waverly -5.5 (no gambling, just for reference). I hope I'm wrong on this one by 5 pts or more.
Agree.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

hbk1999 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:46 pm
Watch the video when you get home

It was a good call
That charge was a great call, 100% correct call, regardless of when and where in a game. Same with the offensive foul a few minutes later on the Mc Clain player.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxemmT833kM

Okay, here’s the full game (without buffering or other issues)

Once again, apologies for how the stream went last night. We will make sure to have a secondary plan in place moving forward for any other streams we may do.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Post by allOhiotraveler »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:51 am https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxemmT833kM

Okay, here’s the full game (without buffering or other issues)

Once again, apologies for how the stream went last night. We will make sure to have a secondary plan in place moving forward for any other streams we may do.
We appreciate your work so much and you have no need to apologize! Without you all, we wouldn't have had the option to watch at all unless we were there. Things happen, but for a FREE service you provide so many, I can't find much room to complain. You help SEO so much with what you do.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Just went on Youtube and watched the two coaches interviews from Litter Media.

Being a Waverly guy, I love having Travis around. He truly cares about the kids and puts in a lot of time with the fellow coaches to make sure scouting is done and our players are prepared. He has high expectations for this group and it's awesome to see the confidence he has in these boys. Truly a fun group to watch

As for Coach Stewart, he is an all around class act! Very nice words to say and respect for each opponent McClain faces and you can tell he just loves to coach and being around his team. Such positive words for his players and speaks on being a brotherhood and having the relationships they have. Very respectable. The crowd McClain brought last night was also awesome to see. Packed the stands and cheered loud for their team the whole game! I'll mention again, such a hard fought game between two of the top teams in SEO and again a good luck to those Seniors as they embrace their next step after HS.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

BigGuy10 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:21 am Just went on Youtube and watched the two coaches interviews from Litter Media.

Being a Waverly guy, I love having Travis around. He truly cares about the kids and puts in a lot of time with the fellow coaches to make sure scouting is done and our players are prepared. He has high expectations for this group and it's awesome to see the confidence he has in these boys. Truly a fun group to watch

As for Coach Stewart, he is an all around class act! Very nice words to say and respect for each opponent McClain faces and you can tell he just loves to coach and being around his team. Such positive words for his players and speaks on being a brotherhood and having the relationships they have. Very respectable. The crowd McClain brought last night was also awesome to see. Packed the stands and cheered loud for their team the whole game! I'll mention again, such a hard fought game between two of the top teams in SEO and again a good luck to those Seniors as they embrace their next step after HS.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Omega wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:50 pm
Hoopie74 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:35 pm
Omega wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:45 pm Does this mark Waverly's deepest tournament run since the state AA final four semi-finals appearance in 1970?
I think my ole buddy Dave Helmich was on that team. Did they play Dayton Belmont?
Yeah, they lost to Dayton Chaminade 73-55. I remember Dave mostly as an offensive lineman in football.
Dave was a dandy.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:56 am
Ok, I’ve watched the video. I can’t argue the call after watching it over and over.
Watching it live I thought Trey was in the air first.
Trey def didn’t dip his shoulder to initiate contact as one poster commented.
It was a bang bang play with time winding down and a great play by both players. The call was a charge and you can’t argue it - just glad the orange & black Tigers prevailed in OT.
Everyone is thinking it so I’m just gonna say it. If Waverly loses your post looks nothing like this 😂.

I seem to be in the minority here but I don’t like the call. There was very minimal contact up top and the kid clearly flopped back. If he doesn’t flop and just stands there Trey probably does make some contact but it would’ve never been called. Regardless, that call should’ve never been called at that point in the game. Had it been an obvious player with his shoulder down plowing over the defender then yea but that should’ve been a no call.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Didn’t see the call from the stream, but honestly who cares. What’s being left out of this, is the heady senior play from tre Robertson. Especially in overtime. McClain lacked that type of leadership.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

wobycat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:05 pm Didn’t see the call from the stream, but honestly who cares. What’s being left out of this, is the heady senior play from tre Robertson. Especially in overtime. McClain lacked that type of leadership.
You are correct. The call didn’t matter but it still makes for fun conversations which this site is lacking.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Seen them early 70's. Teams at Waverly play don't think this team could hang with the talent the 70's had!!! Jmo but good luck next game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”