REGIONAL FINAL: Waverly vs Heath

BigGuy10
Varsity

REGIONAL FINAL: Waverly vs Heath

Post by BigGuy10 »

Waverly and Heath both playing last night with hard earned victories and close scores to earn the right for the Regional Final on March 12 at 4 pm at the Convo

What's the predictions for this game? Both teams with only a day to get prepared for their opponent but at this point in the season, I'm sure both teams have been scouted for the "just in case" factor. I've seen little of Heath this year so can't say much on them but I know they have 2-3 solid scorers and are long. Waverly will need another HUGE game from Will Futhey in the paint and hopefully jump out of the gate and get the shots to fall for our guards.

These two teams most recent matchup was played last season at Waverly where the Bulldogs prevailed in double OT. Good luck to the Waverly Tigers and keep battling!! Would love to see us in Dayton

BigGuy10
Varsity

Re: REGIONAL FINAL: Waverly vs Heath

Post by BigGuy10 »

Would we be able to get this pinned by chance at the top? Thanks!

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Heart wants Waverly to win-- but mind says Heath.. I don't think Heath is coached very well- got lucky last night-- did not use their height--should have pounded it more inside. If they play the same way--- Waverly's got a chance.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

Copied from Waverly/McClain thread: The things I saw that stood out about Heath was their defense. They are one of the best teams I've seen at switching on screens and playing help. The switches also never give you a worse defender since everyone is either big, fast or both. Obviously their size and the outside shooting of #35 was expected. You get very little inside offense other than guard slashes, they negate your bigs underneath and continually push your guards back away from the rim. Toward the end of their game with Meadowbrook there was about three feet around the rim with no one around and the game was being played completely up top. It will be a tough one with Waverly having a team built a lot like Meadowbrook. Singleton (1st team All Ohio East back to back POY) got 32 and the rest of team had 12. The colts big Dorsey 6'5 had 23 points and 17 rebounds in the district final against a big Tri Valley team, double double against New Philly with size similar to Heath, but only 5 points and 5 rebounds against Heath. He is no slouch. Other underneath player (6'3) had 4 rebounds. Singleton was their leading rebounder with 8 and he is 5'11. Waverly needs to play up tempo on both ends and make them pay from outside with more than just Robertson or Heath will win. I also feel like they need to be prepared to get off 3s immediately. Shooters who have a slow release or hesitant won't get accurate shots off. You need great catch and shoot outside guys like Singleton. Obviously Heath and Waverly know each other and have played. I wouldn't make much of an OT victory at home in regular season last year. Different lineups, maturity levels, playoff atmosphere and reffing. It's a different element. I'm rooting for Waverly in this one, it's your one big shot but it's a tough task. Good luck.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Waverly is the clear underdog. Heath may not be a "polished" team, but the video evidence suggests their size and athleticism will pose problems for Waverly. The Tigers have a puncher's chance however if they can find their shooting touch and play defense with the same intensity as they did against McClain. Below is a link to Heath's game against Meadowbrook. Hey, it is tournament basketball, anything can happen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moLlfsZvmRo

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

If Heath can't beat Meadowbrook by more than 3 points, they are not being Waverly.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

N2Hoops wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:06 am If Heath can't beat Meadowbrook by more than 3 points, they are not being Waverly.
I disagree. They aren't much different and Heath missed a lot of foul shots and open looks. Without Singleton this game would have been a blowout. Heath beat Waverly with the same team at Waverly's place last year. I'm not saying Waverly can't win but to say Heath can't beat Waverly...they already have before so I'd say it's possible if not likely.

brob713
Waterboy

Post by brob713 »

Heath fan here. The game will be close one way or the other. Don’t see a blowout victory for either team. Waverly had a poor shooting night and still found a way. Heath doesn’t shoot FTs well as a team. It could cost them if Waverly shoots well. Gonna be a competitive game. Go Bulldogs!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Riverrats wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:36 am
N2Hoops wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:06 am If Heath can't beat Meadowbrook by more than 3 points, they are not being Waverly.
I disagree. They aren't much different and Heath missed a lot of foul shots and open looks. Without Singleton this game would have been a blowout. Heath beat Waverly with the same team at Waverly's place last year. I'm not saying Waverly can't win but to say Heath can't beat Waverly...they already have before so I'd say it's possible if not likely.
It’s gonna be a war. You can say the same about Waverly last night missing a bunch of shots and even FT’s.
Yes, Heath beat Waverly last year in a Double Overtime thriller. That was last year and I’m sure both teams are somewhat different than last year. Either of these teams is capable of beating the other on any given night.
Waverly must shoot the ball better then they did last night and it will require another MONSTER game from Will Futhey. He was a man beast last night. And Robertson the younger (freshman), what a great game he had last night.
THIS ONE IS GOING TO BE A WAR!

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I think Heath uses an extremely similar game plan tomorrow that they did last night vs Meadowbrook. Waverly and Meadowbrook mirror each other in many ways. Like they did with Singleton I believe Heath face guards Trey and traps/doubles him any chance they get, will see others stepping up to help when he drives. They seemed to play a little softer on the perimeter against the other Meadowbrook players, allowing them to stay in the gaps and help prevent the drive, which worked really well because it allows them to use their size in a big way. Defensively for Waverly I think it could be a tough matchup. Will and McLaughlin will be battling all night and if Will plays similar to how he did last night I think he can hold his own. The one player that I think could create a lot of problems for Waverly is Williams. He’s 6’4 and score at any level, including from very deep. I’ll be very eager to see what the defensive game plan from Coach Robertson will be.

Waverly can play with Heath, no question. But it will take 4 full quarters of very good basketball. If Waverly is able to get out and run I really like their chances. I believe having to get majority of their offense in a half court set could be problematic with Heaths height. If Wavery wins it will be because at least 1-2 players that aren’t named Trey or Will made big plays in big moments.

Hopefully the snow storm doesn’t effect this one, but isn’t looking good. Will be curious to see if it gets rescheduled when that would be. Sunday?

Also, believe there is more than one game tomorrow. They clearing gyms for the championships?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 am I think Heath uses an extremely similar game plan tomorrow that they did last night vs Meadowbrook. Waverly and Meadowbrook mirror each other in many ways. Like they did with Singleton I believe Heath face guards Trey and traps/doubles him any chance they get, will see others stepping up to help when he drives. They seemed to play a little softer on the perimeter against the other Meadowbrook players, allowing them to stay in the gaps and help prevent the drive, which worked really well because it allows them to use their size in a big way. Defensively for Waverly I think it could be a tough matchup. Will and McLaughlin will be battling all night and if Will plays similar to how he did last night I think he can hold his own. The one player that I think could create a lot of problems for Waverly is Williams. He’s 6’4 and score at any level, including from very deep. I’ll be very eager to see what the defensive game plan from Coach Robertson will be.

Waverly can play with Heath, no question. But it will take 4 full quarters of very good basketball. If Waverly is able to get out and run I really like their chances. I believe having to get majority of their offense in a half court set could be problematic with Heaths height. If Wavery wins it will be because at least 1-2 players that aren’t named Trey or Will made big plays in big moments.

Hopefully the snow storm doesn’t effect this one, but isn’t looking good. Will be curious to see if it gets rescheduled when that would be. Sunday?

Also, believe there is more than one game tomorrow. They clearing gyms for the championships?

Yes, split session - D3 game at 1:00..
I’d say reschedule for Sunday if snow postpones it. Not sure what else they have going on at the convo.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

smurray wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:54 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 am I think Heath uses an extremely similar game plan tomorrow that they did last night vs Meadowbrook. Waverly and Meadowbrook mirror each other in many ways. Like they did with Singleton I believe Heath face guards Trey and traps/doubles him any chance they get, will see others stepping up to help when he drives. They seemed to play a little softer on the perimeter against the other Meadowbrook players, allowing them to stay in the gaps and help prevent the drive, which worked really well because it allows them to use their size in a big way. Defensively for Waverly I think it could be a tough matchup. Will and McLaughlin will be battling all night and if Will plays similar to how he did last night I think he can hold his own. The one player that I think could create a lot of problems for Waverly is Williams. He’s 6’4 and score at any level, including from very deep. I’ll be very eager to see what the defensive game plan from Coach Robertson will be.

I’d say reschedule for Sunday if snow postpones it. Not sure what else they have going on at the convo.
Agree with this assessment. I felt like the biggest mistake Meadowbrook made was continually getting in half court sets. Press push and take your chances. If not Robertson will be forced to do everything, ends up with a big night and Waverly still goes home.
If they are forced to run early it will put Heath in a different mindset during half court. Waverly can do it just has to be different than Meadowbrook. Our theory leaving was Heath has to be pushed. Can't wait to see how Waverly approach this from a coaching perspective vs personnel. Good luck Tigers

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Riverrats wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:06 pm

Agree with this assessment. I felt like the biggest mistake Meadowbrook made was continually getting in half court sets. Press push and take your chances. If not Robertson will be forced to do everything, ends up with a big night and Waverly still goes home.
If they are forced to run early it will put Heath in a different mindset during half court. Waverly can do it just has to be different than Meadowbrook. Our theory leaving was Heath has to be pushed. Can't wait to see how Waverly approach this from a coaching perspective vs personnel. Good luck Tigers
Travis is the best around at scouting and putting together a game plan. Believe me, he had seen Heath before last night and already had an idea. Seeing them live against a similar team as Waverly helped. He spends countless hours scouting and planning. I’m sure he didn’t get much sleep last night and the Tigers will be preparing today for that game plan.

2Time
Freshman Team

Post by 2Time »

BMG Media will be covering this game.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

smurray wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:22 pm
Riverrats wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:06 pm

Travis is the best around at scouting and putting together a game plan. Believe me, he had seen Heath before last night and already had an idea. Seeing them live against a similar team as Waverly helped. He spends countless hours scouting and planning. I’m sure he didn’t get much sleep last night and the Tigers will be preparing today for that game plan.
Going to be so fun to see how it unravels. Works the other way also to see how a similar skill set guard found ways to individually hurt Heath.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Waverly plays the same they’ll lose by double digits. I expect them to be looser and better. Could go either way.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

That had to be the worst shooting night I’ve saw from this tigers team last night. I don’t think that’ll happen again, I think we’ll be more efficient and if Futhey plays like he did I like our chances

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Omega wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:55 am Waverly is the clear underdog. Heath may not be a "polished" team, but the video evidence suggests their size and athleticism will pose problems for Waverly. The Tigers have a puncher's chance however if they can find their shooting touch and play defense with the same intensity as they did against McClain. Below is a link to Heath's game against Meadowbrook. Hey, it is tournament basketball, anything can happen.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=moLlfsZvmRo
Thanks for the link.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:36 pm Waverly plays the same they’ll lose by double digits. I expect them to be looser and better. Could go either way.
Offensively yes. Defense played well, the offense MUST play much better. Waverly as the underdog should be loose and playing with nothing to lose. Was it a pre-season goal to get to the Final 4, yes - but this will be the first time in the tournament they have been the underdog. I look for them to come out loose, relaxed and ready to rock the convo.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:07 pm That had to be the worst shooting night I’ve saw from this tigers team last night. I don’t think that’ll happen again, I think we’ll be more efficient and if Futhey plays like he did I like our chances
They should shoot from around the actual 3 point line and not 2-3 feet behind the college line. Definitely were shooting much deeper than in other games I’ve seen them in this year.

I expect them to shoot much better, just by making FG that adjustment.

Return to “Boys Basketball”