1970 Waverly Tigers State Tournament Team

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

1970 Waverly Tigers State Tournament Team

Post by trojandave »

First, I want to congratulate the 2022 Waverly Tigers, Coach Travis Robertson, his staff, and the Waverly community on making the Final 4 at Dayton Arena. To advance to the state tournament is a very difficult feat, as only about 25% of all schools in Ohio have ever made it that far.

As this is Waverly's 2nd appearance in the Final 4, I thought it would be appropriate to look back to the first Waverly team to make the Final 4, which was the 1970 Tigers. That team finished 22-3 with star player Denny Thompson and legendary coach Carroll Hawhee.

The Tigers survived some very close games in getting to the Final 4:

Sectional Final: Beat Ironton
District Semifinal: Beat Chillicothe in 3 OT 67-65
District Final: Beat Athens (SEOAL champions) 63-56
Regional Semifinal: Beat Columbus Walnut Ridge 58-56
Regional Final: Beat Canton Lehman 58-55

Won the district and regional by a total of 14 points!!

The Tigers' season ended in the Class AA state semifinal with a loss to Dayton Chaminade 73-55. Chaminade went on to win the state title with a perfect 27-0 record. One note that stands out about this year was that it was the last season of the 2 class system in Ohio. The very next year, the OHSAA went to a AAA, AA, and A class system which lasted until 1988, when 4 divisions were introduced.

No doubt that the 1970 Waverly Tigers were playing as one of the smallest schools in Class AA.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Re: 1970 Waverly Tigers State Tournament Team

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

Good stuff!

4out1in
Waterboy

Post by 4out1in »

Great post Dave. I was young, but I remember both Walnut Ridge and Canton Lehman winning state titles the following year. Beating Walnut Ridge was a major accomplishment, even as juniors because that team is considered by many to be one of the greatest teams in Ohio's history.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

4out1in: That Walnut Ridge team you are referring to had 2 players who played for the North Carolina Tar Heels.....Ed Stahl and Brad Hoffman. The Scots went undefeated in 1971 and won the very first Class AAA state title.

4out1in
Waterboy

Post by 4out1in »

Yes. They started 5 players who all played D1 basketball in college. It's a sad commentary on how old I actually am but I remember Stahl and Hoffman. :)

Return to “Boys Basketball”