Let's Have a Debate - Is this open recruiting

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Let's Have a Debate - Is this open recruiting

Post by OVCFan1 »

Ironton St. Joe AD/Head Baseball Coach & Head Basketball Coach are putting out social media posts for the Edchoice Expansion program. Which by it's is really not a problem. The problem comes in when they are specifically targeting 3 School district in their posts, and specifically attaches "sports" to it... What do you all think? Is AD/Baseball Coach Greg Bryant & Head Basketball Coach Jacob Wells openly recruiting here for their Sports programs? Where exactly does the OHSAA draw the line?

I honestly feel that if the school was putting out a "general post" on the program that that is fine, but by naming actual schools, and attaching "sports" and being put out by Athletic staff that this is open recruiting.... I can't imagine a public school coach or AD getting away with this.
bryant.jpg
wells.jpg

BigGuy10
Varsity

Re: Let's Have a Debate - Is this open recruiting

Post by BigGuy10 »

I don't know anything about ISJ nor do I know all the OHSAA rules on recruiting, however aren't they considered a private school? Which you're able to recruit if that's the case, correct?

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

BigGuy10 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:51 am I don't know anything about ISJ nor do I know all the OHSAA rules on recruiting, however aren't they considered a private school? Which you're able to recruit if that's the case, correct?
That’s what I thought…

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

I do not personally like recruiting of athletes at the high school level but it is a fact of life.

How will this forum react when (not if) legal payment to parents of high school athletes for use of NIL for their offspring comes about?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

They put out Ed choice information.
Adding in that they are eligible for sports is to let folks know they won't have to sit under the transfer rule.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

It’s st joe I wouldn’t worry too much

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

The EdChoice Scholarship Program has been around for years. Portsmouth Notre Dame has 30+ students on that program now. Ironton St Joe has just got that certification in the last year or so. Anyone can go to the Ohio Educational site and get all the info that Grag Bryant posted. It is public knowledge. The best thing a school can do is stay off the list of EdChoice schools. That list is also posted on the Ohio Education site. The three Lawrence County schools were just added this year if I'm not mistaken. There are several Scioto Co schools on there. All those students can go to private schools tuition free if accepted. The scholarship last for the duration of their school career.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Absolutely perfectly within the rules. And those rules are basically set by the Ohio State Legislature. Nothing in that post is incorrect. The reason those three schools are mentioned is because they are not ineligible if they come from those schools. The OHSAA cannot have rules that go against State Law.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

If you have kids that would rather go to St. Joe to play sports than for your school, that’s a you problem.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

TigerBob wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:30 pm If you have kids that would rather go to St. Joe to play sports than for your school, that’s a you problem.
Maybe some will go for the education. Do a little research Bob and you will find that their graduation rate and the % of students attending college is off the charts. Go to graduation and hear how much scholarship money is earned. For being one of the smallest schools is the state of Ohio they do a good job of being competitive in most sports.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

It looks somewhat desperate, but I don't see it as "recruiting" as St. Joe just stating facts that the students from those schools are eligible immediately.

I read an article a few weeks back though that the EdChoice program currently subject to a lawsuit filed in Franklin County by a large group of public schools. If the public schools win, it would likely be the end of the EdChoice program.*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

No I don't think it is.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

TheFlyingDutchman wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:22 pm
TigerBob wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:30 pm If you have kids that would rather go to St. Joe to play sports than for your school, that’s a you problem.
Maybe some will go for the education. Do a little research Bob and you will find that their graduation rate and the % of students attending college is off the charts. Go to graduation and hear how much scholarship money is earned. For being one of the smallest schools is the state of Ohio they do a good job of being competitive in most sports.
I think St. Joe does a great job. Given the clientele, I’m sure a great majority of those kids would be going to college no matter what school they attend. I have no problem with them putting this message out there, and I think it could be the best option for many kids.

My point is if you are SP, RH, or CH, and kids who would be players for you would rather play sports for St. Joe than your school, maybe take a look at the reasons why that is rather than whine about recruiting. If it’s one kid here or there, whatever, not a big deal. If it’s a bunch, examine why it’s happening rather than blame someone else.

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

[media][/media]
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:38 am It’s st joe I wouldn’t worry too much
🤣🤣🤣

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Its a smart move, you see there numbers?

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Kudos to them for getting that approved

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Who cares! If a family wants to trophy hunt carry their ass ! No respect for those chasing an athletic trophy. Education, yes!!

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

It’s perfectly fine, and legal.

The point behind stating the athletic eligibility plainly and publicly is due to a weird wrinkle in the regulations: a prospective student/family and an admissions representative (e.g. principal) cannot discuss sports or eligibility until after the student is enrolled.

Arnie
Waterboy

Post by Arnie »

FIDO wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:03 am Who cares! If a family wants to trophy hunt carry their ass ! No respect for those chasing an athletic trophy. Education, yes!!
How about coaches "chasing talent"?

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Arnie wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:27 pm
FIDO wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:03 am Who cares! If a family wants to trophy hunt carry their ass ! No respect for those chasing an athletic trophy. Education, yes!!
How about coaches "chasing talent"?
Lifetime ban!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”