New Banners hanging in the rafters @ Portsmouth High school

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

New Banners hanging in the rafters @ Portsmouth High school

Post by biggdowgg »

I was a freshman in 1978 so I have witnessed some great basketball through the years , and while we have always had the state championship and final four banners im glad we added the sectionals and districts banners we always seen them at other schools and thought it was pretty nice ,I always check out all the banners at the different schools we go to.

Thanks portsmouth high school athletics for doing this!
IMG_4393.jpg
IMG_4391.jpg
IMG_4392.jpg

Proud_Pirate63
S

Re: New Banners hanging in the rafters @ Portsmouth High school

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I like to read all the banners at different schools too.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Doesn’t take long at Jackson

3sUp
Varsity

Post by 3sUp »

Nice. I really enjoy looking at the banners when I go to different schools. I wish Oak Hill would get that kind with all the sectional and district years on it for all the team sports

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

3sUp wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:12 pm Nice. I really enjoy looking at the banners when I go to different schools. I wish Oak Hill would get that kind with all the sectional and district years on it for all the team sports

Its always cool to look at each schools banners and what they have done , portsmouth did add all sports also but I didn't want to post them in boys basketball, I will be adding baseball on the baseball forum soon

mattash
Site Admin

Post by mattash »

Really cool

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Wayne Gretzky"

Michael Scott
MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Awesome!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, biggdowgg, for posting the pictures. It was a long time coming, but I want to thank all those involved that got this done, including John and Mary Tomlin. The banners leave no doubt as to the remarkable accomplishments of Portsmouth basketball. Winning 65 sectionals, 37 districts, 11 regionals, 15 state appearances and 4 state titles is unmatched in the SE district.

Now that the banners are up, the goal is to add some more years to what has already been done. Portsmouth may not have the reload system like it used to have, but we will rise again. The program was said to be dead heading into the 2000's, but back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012 and a regional final in 2015 showed that PHS basketball is not just of the distant past.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

This is certainly great to see. Being a part of a couple of those banners does my heart good. Yes trojandave, the program will return to its glory days at some point. It may or may not be a long run like the past, but I'm confident the Trojans will return to winning Sectional and District titles and eventually return to the state tournament. "SO LET IT BE WRITTEN... SO LET IT BE DONE!"

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Biggdowg,.
Last edited by FIDO on Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

@biggdowgg ...

Those look great! I'm curious about the "BE A WINNER IN LIFE"

Just guessing a beautiful story is there...

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

OHHS old timer: Since you are curious about it, the banner which reads "BE A WINNER IN LIFE" is mine which I paid $250 to have it on the wall. The message I wanted to send was something other than "GO TROJANS". I wanted that banner to reach beyond sports at Portsmouth HS. It is more important to win in life rather than a ballgame. Hopefully the message on that banner has touched the soul of someone in a positive way.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

trojandave wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:28 am OHHS old timer: Since you are curious about it, the banner which reads "BE A WINNER IN LIFE" is mine which I paid $250 to have it on the wall. The message I wanted to send was something other than "GO TROJANS". I wanted that banner to reach beyond sports at Portsmouth HS. It is more important to win in life rather than a ballgame. Hopefully the message on that banner has touched the soul of someone in a positive way.
Excellent job, trojandave....true positive message!! We need more people like you in world!!

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ

Return to “Boys Basketball”