OVC Expansion

Coachg50
Waterboy

OVC Expansion

Post by Coachg50 »

The Ohio Valley (High School) Conference is looking at the possibility of expanding its number of member schools, with the hope of creating two divisions. New member schools would not enter the OVC until the 2024-2025 school year, as it is our hope to provide an adequate amount of time for the school(s) to prepare appropriately with its current situation (whatever that may be).

If your school would be interested in joining the Ohio Valley Conference, please submit a letter of interest to OVC President, Sam Gue, at sgue@rockhill.org, by May 1, 2022. If you have questions prior to submitting a letter, feel free to contact him at Rock Hill High School. The phone number is 740-532-7012.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: OVC Expansion

Post by bbjunky81 »

Trying to think of a couple schools that would make some sense..

Ironton St. Joseph
Symmes Valley
Green?

Not sure if any of those would have interest in leaving the SOC 1.

I've said for years the most logical thing would be for the SOC1/SOC2/OVC to merge into a super conference for SE Ohio. Makes a ton of sense and could even potentially recruit a Jackson type school to join the big division with the likes of Ironton, Wheelersburg etc.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
dragons1234
Waterboy

Post by dragons1234 »

OVC adding Burg and PWest would be cool to see.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Green , SV & StJoe ? really ? I think the first choice would be P. West , most schools in the OVC already play them . I wouldnt think Wheelersburg would join . Not sure who else would come . I know years ago Oak Hill was a member .

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I would very surprised to see any movement for expansion. The current leagues and conferences in SE Ohio have schools that have been either charter or long time members. Maybe the OVC could do what the SEOAL did for a while.....expand outside Ohio (Point Pleasant, WV). There could be some Kentucky/West Virginia schools that might be interested. I don't think the OVC should restrict itself to just Ohio schools.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

Kentucky would be completely out of the equation due to them being "District Play" they don't have conferences.... At least that is the way I understand it.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

84Dragon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 am Green , SV & StJoe ? really ? I think the first choice would be P. West , most schools in the OVC already play them . I wouldnt think Wheelersburg would join . Not sure who else would come . I know years ago Oak Hill was a member .
Yes, Really.

Wheelersburg isn't coming. Zero percent chance and I have discussed this very topic with a Burg administrator. I highly doubt West would either. Why? What's the benefit for them? Seems to be none.

Oak Hill maybe? Sports wise they're way down and will be for several more years across the board. So is adding them really an upgrade?

Green, St. Joe, Symmes Valley make the most sense geographically and could up their competition by joining.

As I've said for many, many years ----- The thing that would make the most sense is a merger of the SOC and OVC and couple other additions.

Division 1:

Gallia
Ironton
Jackson
Waverly
Wheelersburg
Fairland
Portsmouth West

Division 2:

Portsmouth
South Point
Rock Hill
Valley
Minford
Chesapeake
Northwest

Division 3:

Coal Grove
Oak Hill
Eastern Pike
South Webster
Western
Piketon

Division 4:

Green
South Gallia
St. Joe
East
Clay
New Boston
Notre Dame

This is just spit balling off the top of my head. There's a few teams who would want to move up/down in that scenario but I think you get the gist.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:47 pm
84Dragon wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 am Green , SV & StJoe ? really ? I think the first choice would be P. West , most schools in the OVC already play them . I wouldnt think Wheelersburg would join . Not sure who else would come . I know years ago Oak Hill was a member .
Yes, Really.

Wheelersburg isn't coming. Zero percent chance and I have discussed this very topic with a Burg administrator. I highly doubt West would either. Why? What's the benefit for them? Seems to be none.

Oak Hill maybe? Sports wise they're way down and will be for several more years across the board. So is adding them really an upgrade?

Green, St. Joe, Symmes Valley make the most sense geographically and could up their competition by joining.

As I've said for many, many years ----- The thing that would make the most sense is a merger of the SOC and OVC and couple other additions.

Division 1:

Gallia
Ironton
Jackson
Waverly
Wheelersburg
Fairland
Portsmouth West

Division 2:

Portsmouth
South Point
Rock Hill
Valley
Minford
Chesapeake
Northwest

Division 3:

Coal Grove
Oak Hill
Eastern Pike
South Webster
Western
Piketon

Division 4:

Green
South Gallia
St. Joe
East
Clay
New Boston
Notre Dame

This is just spit balling off the top of my head. There's a few teams who would want to move up/down in that scenario but I think you get the gist.

Looks pretty good.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:47 pm
Yes, Really.

How would adding Green , SV & StJoe be an upgrade for the current OVC ? If Oak Hill wouldnt be an upgrade , I cant see the other three being much either . If the OVC would add those three , it wouldnt do anything but weaken the conference . I personally dont think the OVC will expand but you never know but if they do ,I hope it gets done right , dont just add schools to be adding .

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

84Dragon,

I think we're inadvertently trying to make the same point.

The OVC isn't going to 'upgrade' it's members unless they're going to expand to KY and WV teams (Ashland, Russell, Cabell Midland etc)... and who's to say they'd even be interested? Not to mention the above post mentions that KY will not be considered.

The Ohio teams that would upgrade the conference (West, Burg etc) are not coming and that much is clear.

So if the league is attempting to upgrade the competition, Ohio isn't the place to look. And if they're looking at just simply expanding into more teams then Green, Symmes, St. Joe are about the only ones that would most likely say yes. The rest I just don't see happening.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

I'll say what everyone else seems to be afraid to say: I think the whole thing is to appease Ironton;and it is all about the Football program and their wants/needs, end of story. If the OVC can get a couple or more teams to bite, they can go from 8 to 10 or 12 teams and can have a two tier league. Ironton will get to play the 4or 5 most competitive football teams the OVC has to offer and then can set up their non conference schedule however they want.

The word has been out for a couple of years now that Pendelton went to the OVC and gave his intentions of taking Ironton Football back to Independent status, but wanted to remain in the OVC for the rest of their athletic programs. They were told no way, either you are in or you are out. So now this is the mea culpa between Ironton and the rest of the OVC to try make everyone "happy". Almost everything that has happened since the day Ironton came to the OVC has been for their benefit.

It'll be very interesting to see how it all plays out IF the OVC doesn't get any takers.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:51 am 84Dragon,

I think we're inadvertently trying to make the same point.

The OVC isn't going to 'upgrade' it's members unless they're going to expand to KY and WV teams (Ashland, Russell, Cabell Midland etc)... and who's to say they'd even be interested? Not to mention the above post mentions that KY will not be considered.

The Ohio teams that would upgrade the conference (West, Burg etc) are not coming and that much is clear.

So if the league is attempting to upgrade the competition, Ohio isn't the place to look. And if they're looking at just simply expanding into more teams then Green, Symmes, St. Joe are about the only ones that would most likely say yes. The rest I just don't see happening.
Oh I will agree with that . The pickens round here are pretty slim.

UNREAL
Waterboy

Post by UNREAL »

In my opinion and only mine I would rather raise the level of competition on my schedule. You get better by playing better teams whether you win or lose. It will help build your team for a better tournament run.

OVCFan1
Freshman Team

Post by OVCFan1 »

UNREAL wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:30 pm In my opinion and only mine I would rather raise the level of competition on my schedule. You get better by playing better teams whether you win or lose. It will help build your team for a better tournament run.
that's actually what would happen for Ironton and the other teams as well with a basic expansion. If the OVC Expands, they play less OVC Football with 2 divisions and can then load the schedule with better non-conference opponents. If you can remove RH, SP and Peake you can add a Spring Valley, Huntington High and a even a MAC School to take their place... with 2 division of 12 teams you only play 5 conference games as opposed to 7 conference games in the current structure. it's addition by subtraction...and the other sports are took care of as far as competition, geographic travel and even maintaining current rivalries....

UNREAL
Waterboy

Post by UNREAL »

Again just my own opinion.It is all about football at Ironton and has mostly always been that way even though at times Ironton has been successful in basketball. If I were the basketball coach I would welcome exiting the OVC. Get yourself a better schedule from top to bottom and work to make your program a more upscale one. With the teams that you have to play to get to the first game of the regionals isn't that tough. You usually end up playing OVC,SOC or maybe one or two other outside conference teams. The same should go for the girls basketball program. You get better by playing better opponents and better individuals.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

If Kentucky has football restrictions, then West Virginia is probably the best opportunity for expansion. With the location of OVC schools, the proximity to West Virginia is attractive because even Portsmouth or Gallia Academy are not too far a drive. I just don't see any Ohio schools uprooting their ties to their current conference.

No school in the OVC should be allowed to leave just for one sport. If a school decides to leave, then it leaves for all sports and becomes independent or a member of another league, which in the SE district there aren't any takers at this moment. The SOC, SVC, TVC, SHAC, and the FAC seem to be stable with their current setup, and geographically would not be a fit for certain schools, especially those along the Ohio River.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

The SOC2 would gladly Welcome ironton and send EP back to SOC1

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Get those votes and send the AD an email!

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Post by Lovehoops1 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:23 pm The SOC2 would gladly Welcome ironton and send EP back to SOC1
Never will happen with South Gallia coming into SOC1. They would have 10 or more SOC1 teams then. There has been rumblings of a 3 way Soc split though and that could work then. Plus give more time to schedule out of league for FB and Bball.

Return to “Boys Basketball”