Trey Robertson Class of 2022

Realist
Freshman Team

Re: Trey Robertson Class of 2022

Post by Realist »

I think a little muscle will help Trey. Not saying he’s not in great shape, but if you can’t get taller, get stronger. I think Schmock at OU has some strength that helps him. Also, Schmock played 4 years at Findlay before transferring to OU, so he’s probably 23 years old and has a lot more experience. I really hope he gets a chance to prove himself though.

Riverrats
Freshman Team

Post by Riverrats »

Parents, coaches and kids looking down on D2 and NAIA offers may find themselves lacking. As mentioned before the transfer portal is a critical element now. Colleges recruit up and down the college spectrum looking for talent scouring the D3-D1 kids and HS recruits are now taking a back seat. If you blow up in NAIA you will be able to move up and if you struggle at D1 you can move down. Plus they know once you transfer you are there for sports and can't leave like a HS recruit for his first transfer. Take the school that will pay for you and get you on the court to play the game you love for a few more years, and advance if you can. It's no knock on Trey he is a good player but there are kids already in the system who have proven it on a collegiate level. It's the same in every sport. Playing NAIA or D2 will both pay you significantly especially NAIA. D3 can only give academic. D1 you may be looking at just a partial or a preferred walkon that doesn't pay the bills or get you on the court. No knock but a lot of fans don't understand recruiting, their superstar is everyone else's prospect. I feel like Trey is good D2 prospect who might consider NAIA for more cash, better location or a better opportunity. He will blow up there hopefully and can enter the portal. I saw Bolon went to West Lib, made All-american then went to D1 Charleston SC. He has a similar skill set but is taller. Lily Ritz is a another who comes to mind Wheeling University to YSU with success. Basketball is the hardest due to the small lineups. The only other thing I would add is academics. Playing at a smaller school you have to have strong academics before they start throwing cash at you. I assume he is a good student since his dad is the coach but that will absolutely kill your chances. Sorry so long but I have had some experience with this on a coaching a parent end.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

If you aren’t an NBA or overseas prospect, then there’s no major pitfall to playing at Shawnee or somewhere else like that. Get that bachelors paid for and play 4 more years. That’s worth like $120,000 these days

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Picket Fence
Riding the Bench

Post by Picket Fence »

I believe the transfer portal is log-jamming High School recruiting at all levels of college athletics. Let’s say your Coach Ben Howlett at West Liberty (I’m using a top D2 program as an example) and you are looking for a lead guard. You have a D1 transfer in the portal with two years of eligibility that earned 9 minutes a game the previous season. Then you have Trey Robertson, who is a phenomenal HS guard, doesn’t have college experience, and isn’t necessarily a “play now” guard at a top tier D2 program due to his slight build…he needs a season or two to develop his body. If I’m Ben Howlett, I’m taking the D1 transfer. It’s all about winning now. Coaches have to win now to manage the pressure they get from the athletic department and fans. It’s an unfortunate reality.

Another school that holds out for solid D1 or d2 transfers is Marietta College and they are D3. No schollys though, only “grant” $. I think Trey would fit in tremendously at Marietta College. They are losing Lukas Isaly who is a River HS grad. He had a similar HS basketball career as Trey but was a four sport athlete and a multiple time 1st Team all State and District POY in multiple sports. Also, He was a NCAA D3 All-American this year. There is no shame in going to a D3 school. Then there is the post grad and Juco options

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Lots of intelligent advice on this subject from several posters…. Weird

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

Man, how sweet would it be to read about him at a big school. I'll bet the big schools aren't taking on the 5'7s. It's sad cause it seems like he could still play at them

Ovenmit
Riding the Bench

Post by Ovenmit »

The compitition that Trey played against didn't do him any favors as far as recruiting. Southern ohio is not the hot bed of basketball.

DJT47
Riding the Bench

Post by DJT47 »

mlittle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:50 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:37 pm I hope the kid gets the chance at D1. He’s always been the smallest player on the court (basically until this year) and he’s done it his entire life. No he’s not a long 6’4 but he’s quicker, smarter, better shooter and better instincts than the vast majority of those 6’4 guys that will get ample chances. Trey is a coach on the court and a winner. He’ll commit to the program for 4 years and excel. Taking the 6’5 guy is the safe and easy way. He’s 5’10 so coaches find reasons he’s not the right choice…..they should take his skill set and find reasons why he is the right guy.

A bit of a comparison in this sort to Jared Humphreys of Jackson….6’1 do it all QB that would’ve been a stud at every position. North/South MVP, 1st team all-state…everything. Gritty, smart, it factor…no fear but no D1 team would give him a chance. He’d always be stuck behind the less talented 6’4 QB or the receiver a step faster and longer. Jared Humphreys athletic numbers would’ve been a dime a dozen on D1 college campuses but everything else he offered would’ve stood out and put him above all of them…..those MAC type schools all missed out.

I see Trey’s situation the same….hope some one does what’s right. Would like to see the Akron coaching staff with local coaches give him a look.
If Trey would’ve had half the career he had at a school like Pickerington North he’d be playing D1
If he had played there you wouldn't know his name.

packers80
SE

Post by packers80 »

Not being a d1 player is the end of the world or d2 for that matter. He will be an asset wherever he ends up.

Every day is a holiday and every meal is a feast
E High
All State

Post by E High »

He’s a great HS player. I believe Jake Singlelton from meadowbrook is going to Marietta. Equally as good. Supposedly got a great offer there. Trey is in the same position. D-2 is great, but the transfer portal has changed a lot for these HS players wanting to go D-2. Good luck to Trey. He’s really good.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

DJT47 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:21 am
mlittle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:50 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:37 pm I hope the kid gets the chance at D1. He’s always been the smallest player on the court (basically until this year) and he’s done it his entire life. No he’s not a long 6’4 but he’s quicker, smarter, better shooter and better instincts than the vast majority of those 6’4 guys that will get ample chances. Trey is a coach on the court and a winner. He’ll commit to the program for 4 years and excel. Taking the 6’5 guy is the safe and easy way. He’s 5’10 so coaches find reasons he’s not the right choice…..they should take his skill set and find reasons why he is the right guy.

A bit of a comparison in this sort to Jared Humphreys of Jackson….6’1 do it all QB that would’ve been a stud at every position. North/South MVP, 1st team all-state…everything. Gritty, smart, it factor…no fear but no D1 team would give him a chance. He’d always be stuck behind the less talented 6’4 QB or the receiver a step faster and longer. Jared Humphreys athletic numbers would’ve been a dime a dozen on D1 college campuses but everything else he offered would’ve stood out and put him above all of them…..those MAC type schools all missed out.

I see Trey’s situation the same….hope some one does what’s right. Would like to see the Akron coaching staff with local coaches give him a look.
If Trey would’ve had half the career he had at a school like Pickerington North he’d be playing D1
If he had played there you wouldn't know his name.
You’re probably right, because I don’t know a single players name from there now

wrestlefan
JV Team

Post by wrestlefan »

If the Mac missed out on Humphreys, what were his dominating numbers at the school he went to?

bigblue52
Freshman Team

Post by bigblue52 »

Sources tell me Trey was visiting Marietta College today.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Marietta would be a good fit I think. Does anyone know what Trey wants? Does he want to play right away? Go somewhere and wait his turn?

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

transplant wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:20 am Marietta would be a good fit I think. Does anyone know what Trey wants? Does he want to play right away? Go somewhere and wait his turn?
Hell does he even want to play at the next level? He’s a great player but maybe he just wants to go to school and he a student. Or start working and start making money. I wish him luck in whatever he does.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Ironmen34 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:28 pm
transplant wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:20 am Marietta would be a good fit I think. Does anyone know what Trey wants? Does he want to play right away? Go somewhere and wait his turn?
Hell does he even want to play at the next level? He’s a great player but maybe he just wants to go to school and he a student. Or start working and start making money. I wish him luck in whatever he does.
I wonder that too. He had a great high school career, maybe he doesn't want to play at the next level, its different. I wish him luck as well.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Probably waiting on the transfer portal to clear out. Most HS players are last on some college lists. Even at D-2 and NAIA schools

Ironmen34
Varsity

Post by Ironmen34 »

transplant wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:34 pm
Ironmen34 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:28 pm
I wonder that too. He had a great high school career, maybe he doesn't want to play at the next level, its different. I wish him luck as well.
I don’t know the kid at all so I really have no clue but I was reading all those comments about him playing in college and where he should play and I thought “well darn does the kid even want to play ball in college” haha

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Haha yeah, everyone is an expert on here it seems, but whatever he wants to do is up to him.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

bigblue52 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:49 am Sources tell me Trey was visiting Marietta College today.
Marietta has an outstanding basketball program - a lot of post season success ... Tegan Myer from Logan will be attending MC ... it will depend on what Trey wants to do academically as well along with hoops ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”