S

Re: Trey Robertson Class of 2022

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Any team would be lucky to have him.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

I know his size kills him but I’d have to think he could still play big 2D somewhere and get his school paid for. Not that he can’t play D1 but you’d think if that was in the cards an offer would’ve came by now. And maybe it has and it’s just not the right fit. We see it every year with kids taking smaller schools because the fit is right. I’m sure wherever he lands he will make an impact and the Little’s wish him well.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I've always thought that Trey could play D1, but his size could be used against him by D1 coaches. I watch a lot of college basketball, and I see players his size playing at the D1 level. I hope he goes to a college where he will get the opportunity to be a starter. Certainly there are some colleges out there that could use Trey's skills. His best playing days may be ahead of him. I have to think he is definitely good enough to play for a MAC school.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Just speaking in terms of general conversation, not just specifically Trey. But the Transfer Portal is going to really hurt kids coming out of high school and recruiting, especially at the D1 level. I’m betting coaches are spending more time looking at the Portal than inquiring about high school athletes.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:07 pm Just speaking in terms of general conversation, not just specifically Trey. But the Transfer Portal is going to really hurt kids coming out of high school and recruiting, especially at the D1 level. I’m betting coaches are spending more time looking at the Portal than inquiring about high school athletes.
That and the extra year of eligibility due to the pandemic may also limit the number of scholarships available for a couple more years.

The young Mr. Robertson will get his opportunity to play at the next level, but I feel his basketball future lies on the coaching career path.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I find it hard to believe he’s had zero offers

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:54 pm I find it hard to believe he’s had zero offers
I think one recruiting sites lists offers from Rio Grande, Shawnee St, and Concord in WV.

https://www.prephoops.com/player/trey-robertson/

Absolutely nothing wrong with the NAIA route to further one's education.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I hope the kid gets the chance at D1. He’s always been the smallest player on the court (basically until this year) and he’s done it his entire life. No he’s not a long 6’4 but he’s quicker, smarter, better shooter and better instincts than the vast majority of those 6’4 guys that will get ample chances. Trey is a coach on the court and a winner. He’ll commit to the program for 4 years and excel. Taking the 6’5 guy is the safe and easy way. He’s 5’10 so coaches find reasons he’s not the right choice…..they should take his skill set and find reasons why he is the right guy.

A bit of a comparison in this sort to Jared Humphreys of Jackson….6’1 do it all QB that would’ve been a stud at every position. North/South MVP, 1st team all-state…everything. Gritty, smart, it factor…no fear but no D1 team would give him a chance. He’d always be stuck behind the less talented 6’4 QB or the receiver a step faster and longer. Jared Humphreys athletic numbers would’ve been a dime a dozen on D1 college campuses but everything else he offered would’ve stood out and put him above all of them…..those MAC type schools all missed out.

I see Trey’s situation the same….hope some one does what’s right. Would like to see the Akron coaching staff with local coaches give him a look.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

He’s a great HS player. He’s not a D-1 player. Wish him well. Might do ok at a D-2/NAIA school. Good luck young man

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

E High wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:14 am He’s a great HS player. He’s not a D-1 player. Wish him well. Might do ok at a D-2/NAIA school. Good luck young man
Might do ok at a D2/NAIA school?

MadeInRossCounty
Varsity

Post by MadeInRossCounty »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 am
E High wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:14 am He’s a great HS player. He’s not a D-1 player. Wish him well. Might do ok at a D-2/NAIA school. Good luck young man
Hey, it's his opinion. Everybody has one.
Good luck to Trey, awesome player.
If you play D1,D2,D3, Juco, NAIA, it doesn't matter. Your a stud.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:37 pm I hope the kid gets the chance at D1. He’s always been the smallest player on the court (basically until this year) and he’s done it his entire life. No he’s not a long 6’4 but he’s quicker, smarter, better shooter and better instincts than the vast majority of those 6’4 guys that will get ample chances. Trey is a coach on the court and a winner. He’ll commit to the program for 4 years and excel. Taking the 6’5 guy is the safe and easy way. He’s 5’10 so coaches find reasons he’s not the right choice…..they should take his skill set and find reasons why he is the right guy.

A bit of a comparison in this sort to Jared Humphreys of Jackson….6’1 do it all QB that would’ve been a stud at every position. North/South MVP, 1st team all-state…everything. Gritty, smart, it factor…no fear but no D1 team would give him a chance. He’d always be stuck behind the less talented 6’4 QB or the receiver a step faster and longer. Jared Humphreys athletic numbers would’ve been a dime a dozen on D1 college campuses but everything else he offered would’ve stood out and put him above all of them…..those MAC type schools all missed out.

I see Trey’s situation the same….hope some one does what’s right. Would like to see the Akron coaching staff with local coaches give him a look.
If Trey would’ve had half the career he had at a school like Pickerington North he’d be playing D1

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:37 pm I hope the kid gets the chance at D1. He’s always been the smallest player on the court (basically until this year) and he’s done it his entire life. No he’s not a long 6’4 but he’s quicker, smarter, better shooter and better instincts than the vast majority of those 6’4 guys that will get ample chances. Trey is a coach on the court and a winner. He’ll commit to the program for 4 years and excel. Taking the 6’5 guy is the safe and easy way. He’s 5’10 so coaches find reasons he’s not the right choice…..they should take his skill set and find reasons why he is the right guy.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

mlittle wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:50 am

If Trey would’ve had half the career he had at a school like Pickerington North he’d be playing D1
Yep, a bigger school with half his stats and he’d have D1 offers everywhere. I believe Mr. Basketball this year didn’t have Treys stats. And with Trey Robertson you get way way more then stats on a page. His basketball IQ is off the charts and he is literally a coach on the floor.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

MadeInRossCounty wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 am
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 am
Hey, it's his opinion. Everybody has one.
Good luck to Trey, awesome player.
If you play D1,D2,D3, Juco, NAIA, it doesn't matter. Your a stud.
“Might”….just seems a bit insulting, probably no intention
Last edited by Ironman92 on Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:48 am

Yep, a bigger school with half his stats and he’d have D1 offers everywhere. I believe Mr. Basketball this year didn’t have Treys stats. And with Trey Robertson you get way way more then stats on a page. His basketball IQ is off the charts and he is literally a coach on the floor.
The problem is at that level a lot of those kids share those characteristics and are 6’4. But I still believe southern Ohio gets a little slighted with recruiting. Levi Gullion is another mind boggler for me. 6’3” great arm good size runs well and is extremely smart on the field and in the classroom. Why is this kid not at a Mac school playing?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

smurray wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:48 am

Trey himself wouldn’t have those stats either playing for a bigger school. That’s why I said half lol

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

Assistant coach Blake Justice at Valdosta State in GA should look at Trey . They love Ohio guys.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Just a size comparison for a college basketball player I have seen in person twice this year is #22 Tommy Schmock for the Ohio Bobcats. He's listed at 5'11 180 lbs which isn't too far off from Trey at all.. so I hate to see Trey get pushed aside because of his height.

Like others have said, Trey's IQ for the game is crazy. He is very smart and talented and very UNselfish. He is someone you will never have to beg to show up as he may be in the gym before some of the coaches are. I don't doubt he will play at the next level somewhere and succeed. He's determined and works his butt off. Wherever he decides to go, no doubt that SEO will root him on!

Return to “Boys Basketball”