My friend Coach Matt Combs...

Chuck Taylor
Riding the Bench

Re: My friend Coach Matt Combs...

Post by Chuck Taylor »

Jim Ryan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 2:21 pm
Almost Champions wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:40 pm I juts wish my boys down at Toms Butcher Shop would pony up the dough to bring Howie back to Racine. Everyone knows we made a mistake when we ran him off and now all we want is to see him win here and stop watching him win every other place he chooses to caoch. Its painfu to think of how many state titles we would have by now if we had just left him alone.
Yes, because he has won so many state titles at those other places. :lol:
Yeah, how many did he win? :lol:

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

DUNK1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Kenny Bixx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:14 pm I dont care about no guys who have coons dogs. What I wants to know is whther they is a chance we could lure that Caldwell guy from Trimble over here. He is top notch. We wouldnt miss a beat.
That will depend totally on the present and future talent level of the players and the financial package they would offer. He won't be cheap, and he ain't coming down there to rebuild.
The cupboard is not bare here. We have a lot of young talent coming up. We will be fine.
Mulga Roadrunner wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:02 pm Has Yates taken the Ad job yet? Didn’t he coach basketball with Combs a few years ago? Maybe he gets both jobs? I just hate it for the Wellston kids that he hung out to dry.
Yates is not taking any position at Vinton County. But yes, he was the freshmen coach four or five years back. As for the Wellston thing, you may want to check your sources.

War Pig
Waterboy

Post by War Pig »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:11 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Kenny Bixx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:14 pm I dont care about no guys who have coons dogs. What I wants to know is whther they is a chance we could lure that Caldwell guy from Trimble over here. He is top notch. We wouldnt miss a beat.
That will depend totally on the present and future talent level of the players and the financial package they would offer. He won't be cheap, and he ain't coming down there to rebuild.
The cupboard is not bare here. We have a lot of young talent coming up. We will be fine.
Mulga Roadrunner wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:02 pm Has Yates taken the Ad job yet? Didn’t he coach basketball with Combs a few years ago? Maybe he gets both jobs? I just hate it for the Wellston kids that he hung out to dry.
Yates is not taking any position at Vinton County. But yes, he was the freshmen coach four or five years back. As for the Wellston thing, you may want to check your sources.
Word on the street is Yates will be the new AD at VC. Good for him. Too bad the Wellston thing didn't work out but he gets to go back home at least.

GRFan
Varsity

Post by GRFan »

Coach Combs is a class act. I wish him much success in his retirement. He is a credit to Vinton County and the TVC. He will definitely go down as one of the best coaches in southern Ohio.

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

I think if we got the right alums involved we could put a package together that might get Howie back in Racine

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
Mulga Roadrunner
Waterboy

Post by Mulga Roadrunner »

PurplePower wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 pm I think if we got the right alums involved we could put a package together that might get Howie back in Racine
Are there enough graduates from Southern to do that?

The County Resident
Riding the Bench

Post by The County Resident »

Congratulations to Coach Combs on one heck of a run.

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

Mulga Roadrunner wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:52 pm
PurplePower wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 5:30 pm I think if we got the right alums involved we could put a package together that might get Howie back in Racine
Are there enough graduates from Southern to do that?
Just ask my boy. He went through six years of junior high at Racine and they won every game while he played. Once he got to high school he didnt have no elegilitty left but they gave him some kind of certificate for coming to school. We thinks he has some playing time left in west virginai and hope to enroll him at Hannah High School. As for yer question, he is ocnsidered an almni of southern becuase of the certificate they gave him. Lots of his buddies got that same award.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
The Butcher
Waterboy

Post by The Butcher »

Ways to be a southern alumni:

1. Get at least 50 haircuts at the Racine Butcher Shop.
2. Play at 6 years of junior high ball or 5 years of high school ball. You cant do both. The OHSAA wont allow it.
3. Be able to pick a bushel of corn per hour or two five gallons of buckets of tomatoes per hour.
4. Have your name on a banner and a cool nickname.
5. Get a diploma from the High School.
6. Be able to sing the words to "Almost Champions".

If we haven't heard a rumor by noon, we start one!
Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

The Viking RedZone Legends Series will be back with another episode soon with special guest Matt Combs. Stay tuned!

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Yates won't or shouldn't be back at VC.. He has burned to many bridges..... For Combs replacement- I would say the will look in house 1st, if no one wants it they will go outside.

Drippy96
Waterboy

Post by Drippy96 »

Albright and Kight are your in house candidates. If one of those two don’t get it I’m going with Rider from Logan. Dark horse Norm Persin or Bob Grillo.Maybe even the guy who used to coach Chillicothe. Huffer I think is his name. Thankful Matt Combs coached my son.

vcgrad
All Conference

Post by vcgrad »

Yeah they will keep it in house----- lets see if they can keep it going------

Drippy96
Waterboy

Post by Drippy96 »

NJ Kight hired as boys basketball coach at last night’s board meeting.

Return to “Boys Basketball”