My friend Coach Matt Combs...

hawkeyepierce
S

My friend Coach Matt Combs...

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I want to take a minute and tell you about my friend, Coach Matt Combs. What a lot of people may not be aware of is that he is a spiritual man. He takes his relationship with his God very personally. The fact you may not know this, is a testament to who he is…a gentleman, a scholar, and a giver of himself. He is the only person I have ever met, and I have met thousands of people in my lifetime, that is able to negotiate that fine line of outstanding work ethic, leadership, being mindful, being present, while maintaining a sophomoric and self-effacing humor and being a great friend to everyone he meets.

I write this with some sadness, we closest to Coach Combs, knew that this day would come, eventually. It is here. He will embark on a new journey with new challenges and new priorities. I am not going to get into the coaching biography, you can read that in the paper, but rather tell you that our friend, a great ambassador for Vinton County, and a mentor to many will be returning home. He will become an assistant principal and athletic director at his alma mater, Unioto High School.

Even though he does not owe anyone an explanation, he will, on his time schedule and in his words, explain why it is time for new challenges and what Vinton County has meant to him.

I promise you; his last endeavor will be to leave the Vinton County Athletic Department and especially, the Vinton County Boys’ Basketball program in the best and more than capable hands. We will do our best to continue his legacy of being prepared, hard work, no-nonsense attitude, and having innate competitiveness to all situations and circumstances.

He will leave Vinton County after having impacting hundreds of lives, especially for the players that have played for him and the coaches that have coached with him, including myself. I have always said that I do not have role models, but rather, individuals I hold in high regard. Matt is one of those individuals that I hold in the highest of regard.

So please join me in wishing this great man; son, brother, husband, father, teacher, leader, and of course, coach, nothing but the best and good luck.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: My friend Coach Matt Combs...

Post by danicalifornia »

We are very fortunate that he is returning to Unioto. As you have stated, Matt is just an outstanding overall individual and what he’s done at Vinton County will not be forgotten.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Good luck to Coach Matt Combs. What tremendous tremendous job he did at Vinton County. He’ll always be welcomed back whenever he visits his old stomping grounds in McArthur.

It won’t seem the same without him on the sideline.

I hope he gives his first year college roommate Coach Miller a good evaluation with no funny sidebars 😁….and get that ol Unioto XC coach to step it up! Lol

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am on the basketball staff and even I don't know who it will be. The only thing I know for certain...it will not be me. Yes, as far as I know, he will be involved in the hiring process based on his current position. He will begin his new position in July, I believe.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Billy Brave wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 12:47 pm
Wellston Ironman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:47 am I know a guy in Glouster who would love to get his hands on this job. He has a state title under his belt in another sport but his first love has always been basketball. Good luck to Coach Combs and good luck to his successor. Thats gonna be atough act to follow.
Will he be involved in the hiring of the new AD at VC? We all know who it is going to be, so it's just a formality but wondering if he will be involved.
I have been told it will be businesses as usual for Matt until the end of the school year which would mean he would be involved. I’m not sure there is a clear cut favorite for the AD job though? At least, I haven’t heard anything.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Congrats to coach Combs on his career at VC, on a side note, I hope that fool who always comments under different usernames got IP banned.

Go Blue
Sid Farkus
Freshman Team

Post by Sid Farkus »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:36 pm Congrats to coach Combs on his career at VC, on a side note, I hope that fool who always comments under different usernames got IP banned.
Sorry, still here.😘

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Dundas wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:18 pm
Wellston Ironman wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:47 am I know a guy in Glouster who would love to get his hands on this job. He has a state title under his belt in another sport but his first love has always been basketball. Good luck to Coach Combs and good luck to his successor. Thats gonna be atough act to follow.
Will he be involved in the hiring of the new AD at VC? We all know who it is going to be, so it's just a formality but wondering if he will be involved.
I have been told it will be businesses as usual for Matt until the end of the school year which would mean he would be involved. I’m not sure there is a clear cut favorite for the AD job though? At least, I haven’t heard anything.
Any chance at all this would open the doors for Yates to return?? I'm guessing no just based on history but with the way things happened at Wellston have to wonder if Yates didn't know this was going on at VC.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

greygoose wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 7:38 am
Dundas wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 2:18 pm

Any chance at all this would open the doors for Yates to return?? I'm guessing no just based on history but with the way things happened at Wellston have to wonder if Yates didn't know this was going on at VC.
I wouldn’t think so, but again, I have heard nothing in terms of potential candidates. Only speculation at this time.

Wellston Ironman
Freshman Team

Post by Wellston Ironman »

I know a retired guy who sells cars in Glouster who would love to get his hands on this job. He has a state title under his belt in another sport but his first love has always been basketball. Good luck to Coach Combs and good luck to his successor. Thats gonna be a tough act to follow.

The BEST thing about people from Wellston is that they have JACKSON on their license plates!
Koondogger 2.1
Freshman Team

Post by Koondogger 2.1 »

Wellston Ironman wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:14 am I know a retired guy who sells cars in Glouster who would love to get his hands on this job. He has a state title under his belt in another sport but his first love has always been basketball. Good luck to Coach Combs and good luck to his successor. Thats gonna be a tough act to follow.
I thought I had that football job at Warren but I do really love basketball the most. If they want to interview me, just call me at the car lot.

Kenny Bixx
Freshman Team

Post by Kenny Bixx »

I dont care about no guys who have coons dogs. What I wants to know is whther they is a chance we could lure that Caldwell guy from Trimble over here. He is top notch. We wouldnt miss a beat.

Disklaimer: These here thoughts are my opinions. Dont mean too hurt nobodies feelins. Are we still able to state opinions on here without unfair retribution from certain folkes?
DUNK1
Freshman Team

Post by DUNK1 »

Kenny Bixx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:14 pm I dont care about no guys who have coons dogs. What I wants to know is whther they is a chance we could lure that Caldwell guy from Trimble over here. He is top notch. We wouldnt miss a beat.
That will depend totally on the present and future talent level of the players and the financial package they would offer. He won't be cheap, and he ain't coming down there to rebuild.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

DUNK1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Kenny Bixx wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:14 pm I dont care about no guys who have coons dogs. What I wants to know is whther they is a chance we could lure that Caldwell guy from Trimble over here. He is top notch. We wouldnt miss a beat.
That will depend totally on the present and future talent level of the players and the financial package they would offer. He won't be cheap, and he ain't coming down there to rebuild.
Howsee has always been a talent chaser for sure. Don't believe me, just ask anyone from Racine, Eastern and/or Fed Hock. :o

Almost Champions
Freshman Team

Post by Almost Champions »

I juts wish my boys down at Toms Butcher Shop would pony up the dough to bring Howie back to Racine. Everyone knows we made a mistake when we ran him off and now all we want is to see him win here and stop watching him win every other place he chooses to caoch. Its painfu to think of how many state titles we would have by now if we had just left him alone.

1980-82.....the glory days of Southern basketball. We almost did it!
Cousin H
Waterboy

Post by Cousin H »

Almost Champions wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:40 pm I juts wish my boys down at Toms Butcher Shop would pony up the dough to bring Howie back to Racine. Everyone knows we made a mistake when we ran him off and now all we want is to see him win here and stop watching him win every other place he chooses to caoch. Its painfu to think of how many state titles we would have by now if we had just left him alone.
Tell me about it. I had the good fortune to play for him when he was an assistant. He was light years ahead of overyone else and our community just let him walk. We have never recovered from it.

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Post by Jim Ryan »

Almost Champions wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:40 pm I juts wish my boys down at Toms Butcher Shop would pony up the dough to bring Howie back to Racine. Everyone knows we made a mistake when we ran him off and now all we want is to see him win here and stop watching him win every other place he chooses to caoch. Its painfu to think of how many state titles we would have by now if we had just left him alone.
Yes, because he has won so many state titles at those other places. :lol:

The Ultimate Lancer
JV Team

Post by The Ultimate Lancer »

Jim Ryan wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:33 pm
DUNK1 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 1:18 pm
Howsee has always been a talent chaser for sure. Don't believe me, just ask anyone from Racine, Eastern and/or Fed Hock. :o
I concur that Howdee does chase talent. So if VC has a bunch, which I doubt since Combs is leaving, then I have to guess he would at least take a look.

BRING BACK The used car salesman/part time football manager!
Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

Post by Wings Teaford »

We don't need no Howdy Caldwell back down here. After he left the football program got much better and we all know why. Let Thimble or Vinton or wherever keep him and we just stick with his boy.

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
Mulga Roadrunner
Waterboy

Post by Mulga Roadrunner »

Has Yates taken the Ad job yet? Didn’t he coach basketball with Combs a few years ago? Maybe he gets both jobs? I just hate it for the Wellston kids that he hung out to dry.

Return to “Boys Basketball”