BREAKING!!!! Steven Ater is Going Home

Area51
Waterboy

BREAKING!!!! Steven Ater is Going Home

Post by Area51 »

Ater is leaving Wheelersburg and heading back to Peake!
Big Time Hire! :o :shock:

Gator B Long
Freshman Team

Re: BREAKING!!!! Steven Ater is Going Home

Post by Gator B Long »

Hasn’t been an internal hire for many years, if ever, so I’d say Burg would attract many outside quality coaches interest. Travis Bradford/fmr Burg assistant, West and East HC would worthy of an interview.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

If Travis is interested, yes he would be a good candidate. I think his boy is happy and notre dame and not sure Travis is interested, but who knows.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

transplant wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 pm If Travis is interested, yes he would be a good candidate. I think his boy is happy and notre dame and not sure Travis is interested, but who knows.
I would have to agree.

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Confirmed. Who will Burg go after?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Gator B Long wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:29 pm Hasn’t been an internal hire for many years, if ever, so I’d say Burg would attract many outside quality coaches interest. Travis Bradford/fmr Burg assistant, West and East HC would worthy of an interview.
East?

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 pm
Gator B Long wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:29 pm Hasn’t been an internal hire for many years, if ever, so I’d say Burg would attract many outside quality coaches interest. Travis Bradford/fmr Burg assistant, West and East HC would worthy of an interview.
East?
East Head Coach Adam Bailey spent many years with Barrick at Wheelersburg leading the junior high program and has won at East when he has had talent.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Barrick back to Burg

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Maybe Dirk Hollar?

Not A Homer
Riding the Bench

Post by Not A Homer »

Ater always got the most out of his teams, even when Burg was low on "basketball" players although not athletes. Not entirely sure he got along with players and the community all that well however.

- Barrick is at Green, doubt he would come back and that's even if the board would have him.

- Hollar would be a good bet, already in the school system and involved with the girls basketball program, along with boys HC'ing experience.

- Rodney Holden would be ideal in my mind, but I seriously doubt he would take this task on right now with Tanner playing at Ohio State this season.

- Tom Kaskey, Alex Prater, Travis Bradford are some names familiar with the program who might draw some attention also.

Leviticus
Riding the Bench

Post by Leviticus »

Travis Bradford is an assistant at ND, his son Aaryn is going to be a sophomore and is very happy at ND. ND is going to be very good the next few years, just don’t see them leaving but stranger things have happened so who knows.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:36 pm
East?
Coach Bradford coached at East before returning home to West to be the head coach.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

this search begins and end with a man who has been to state tournament before nope not barrick nope not krescher im talking about a man named Cox. Imagine the kids he could recruit for us we could be like the basketball version of ironton football wow state championship after state championship.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Probably best for all parties at this point. Ater did nothing but win at Burg, but the last couple of years there was a lot of noise about people being unhappy with the program for various reasons. He will win at Chesapeake just like he did at Webster and Burg. I personally think he is one of the top coaches in southeastern Ohio and wish him nothing but the best at Chesapeake.

As for the next coach, I was told by someone who would know that "the replacement is already in the building." Bradford is a solid coach, but I don't think Burg will be looking to hire someone with ties to previous staff. Burg may take a slight step back this year, but the junior high talent on the way will get them back up near the top of league fairly quick.*

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I would think Eaton, Rucker, or Hollar would be on the short list.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Agreed.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Crab's Brother wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am I would think Eaton, Rucker, or Hollar would be on the short list.
I don't see any scenario that involves Rucker. Zero head coaching experience at the varsity level plus with a kid in the program it would be viewed poorly and the whole "Daddy Ball" comments would begin almost immediately. I highly doubt he would put his family through that.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to Coach Ater.......very good hire for Chesapeake.......Welcome to the OVC!.....I don't think much will change except maybe a different style of play, but the Panthers will win.

As for Wheelersburg, that program has won no matter who the coach has been.......Mike Hughes, John Eaton, Mike Lovenguth, Tom Barrick, Steven Ater.....Eaton, Lovenguth, and Barrick all took Pirate teams to the state, while Ater and Hughes had undefeated regular seasons. Ater did it in Tanner Holden's senior season, losing to Harvest Prep in the regional final, while Hughes did it in 1976 with Brian Bays and Joe Rase. The Burg lost to Columbus St.Charles in the regional semifinal, going 23-1. So for the period from the mid 70's to the present, the Burg has always won so it won't be any different with the new coach. WHS always has the athletes to win. 6 trips to the state (1982, 1984, 1989, 1995, 2006, 2007) over the course of 25 years. A good number of district titles since 2000, including this past season.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Blitz wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:18 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:08 am I would think Eaton, Rucker, or Hollar would be on the short list.
I don't see any scenario that involves Rucker. Zero head coaching experience at the varsity level plus with a kid in the program it would be viewed poorly and the whole "Daddy Ball" comments would begin almost immediately. I highly doubt he would put his family through that.
I would be somewhat surprised if Rucker is not on the new staff in some form or other (either as the head coach or as an assistant coach).*

Runner00
JV Team

Post by Runner00 »

burgpirater wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:37 am this search begins and end with a man who has been to state tournament before nope not barrick nope not krescher im talking about a man named Cox. Imagine the kids he could recruit for us we could be like the basketball version of ironton football wow state championship after state championship.
His personality would never work at Wheelersburg.

Return to “Boys Basketball”