Freshman Team

SVC 2023 LEAGUE PROJECTIONS

Post by AnkleBraces »

RANK EM

TrueWinner
Waterboy

Re: SVC 2023 LEAGUE PROJECTIONS

Post by TrueWinner »

On paper Trace sits at the top. Size and athleticism will be tough for inexperienced teams to overcome.
I believe Unioto and Westfall could be surprisingly good or embarrassingly bad. Both lose important pieces but have some returners with high ceilings. Let’s hope for league sake they reach their potentials.
Paint Valley will compete every single night, and will have a lot of games decided in the closing possessions, but I don’t know that they have the horses to be a true contender.
Piketons style of play will be intriguing to watch play out against all the teams sporting new roster layouts. Every team that plays them will be highly dependent on coaching gameplans against their zone defenses.
A lot of unknowns about Adena, Southeastern, and Huntington.
Adena will be operating under a new coach. There should be some good athletes returning there and if put in a good system they could flirt with the middle of the league standings.
Southeastern will always find a way to surprise a team here or there. Well coached and those kids play hard. Skill and depth will have them struggle to contend consistently.
Huntington is a wildcard. They have some good pieces returning, they will be physical, fundamentally sound, and disciplined in their schemes. They seem to be sporting a new offensive system this summer so we will see how it affects their standing in the league.
All in all I think 2-8 could be in a million different variations and it won’t be until late in the season before we know how the standings will play out, but I do think it will be a fun year because there are some quality coaches throughout the league.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Good rundown.

Does Adena have another new coach? They were playing much better in the last month of the season and return most of their contributors. Kerns, Ater and Smith is a nice trio to build an offense around.

PVBearcat2012
Freshman Team

Post by PVBearcat2012 »

TrueWinner wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:52 pm On paper Trace sits at the top. Size and athleticism will be tough for inexperienced teams to overcome.
I believe Unioto and Westfall could be surprisingly good or embarrassingly bad. Both lose important pieces but have some returners with high ceilings. Let’s hope for league sake they reach their potentials.
Paint Valley will compete every single night, and will have a lot of games decided in the closing possessions, but I don’t know that they have the horses to be a true contender.
Piketons style of play will be intriguing to watch play out against all the teams sporting new roster layouts. Every team that plays them will be highly dependent on coaching gameplans against their zone defenses.
Adena will be operating under a new coach. There should be some good athletes returning there and if put in a good system they could flirt with the middle of the league standings.
Southeastern will always find a way to surprise a team here or there. Well coached and those kids play hard. Skill and depth will have them struggle to contend consistently.
Huntington is a wildcard. They have some good pieces returning, they will be physical, fundamentally sound, and disciplined in their schemes. They seem to be sporting a new offensive system this summer so we will see how it affects their standing in the league.
All in all I think 2-8 could be in a million different variations and it won’t be until late in the season before we know how the standings will play out, but I do think it will be a fun year because there are some quality coaches throughout the league.
Adding Robertson to Estep, Miller, and Cooper, along with young guard Carson Free should make the Bearcats fun. They also added Todd Fairrow, who played at Unioto for a while, to the mix, but I don't know much about him.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

danicalifornia wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:34 am Good rundown.

Does Adena have another new coach? They were playing much better in the last month of the season and return most of their contributors. Kerns, Ater and Smith is a nice trio to build an offense around.
I have not heard of any change in Frankfort either.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

soggybottomtopper wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:09 pm

Talking with some Frankfort folks about their football team, they confirmed that Coach Olaker is back for his second season.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

soggybottomtopper wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:42 am
soggybottomtopper wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:09 pm

Talking with some Frankfort folks about their football team, they confirmed that Coach Olaker is back for his second season.
Good. He had them moving in the right direction at the end of the season and they return a solid nucleus.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I agree my opinion is only based on game time coaching, behind the scenes may be a different story, but I thought the Adena coach did a decent job last year. They lost a couple close games that very easily could've went either way. As far as league standings ZT will be the favorite this season, I don't see any other team in the SVC consistently competing the way ZT will night in and night out. Paint Valley could definitely give them a game as well as Adena. It will be interesting to see how Westfall, Unioto, and Huntington look this year. I was really impressed with Huntington early on last season watching them play Eastern Pike and Circleville but they seemed to get worse as the year went on, maybe this year will be a different story for the Huntsmen. The middle of the pack(3-6) could be ordered several different ways. It will surprise me if Piketon and Southeastern aren't battling it out to avoid last place. Miller is good at developing players but I don't see them having a whole lot to work with this year. If I were to put them in order it would go:
1.) ZT
2.) PV
3.) Adena
4.) Unioto
5.) Westfall
6.) Huntington
7.) Piketon
8.) Southeastern

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Always love to see the basketball chatter in the SVC. I think everyone understands, if not agrees why it is Zane Trace's league to win. Look forward to chatting it up here soon. Now back to football. LOL

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

PVBearcat2012 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:09 am
TrueWinner wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:52 pm On paper Trace sits at the top. Size and athleticism will be tough for inexperienced teams to overcome.
Adding Robertson to Estep, Miller, and Cooper, along with young guard Carson Free should make the Bearcats fun. They also added Todd Fairrow, who played at Unioto for a while, to the mix, but I don't know much about him.
I have heard different stories on Miller and was wondering if anybody knew how he is doing in his recovery? I had heard a rumor that he would be back for the game vs. Unioto on Friday, but obviously that was just chatter. Hope he is getting close to being cleared.

se-alum
All Conference

Post by se-alum »

Pretty sure Ater is at Huntington unless something has changed.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I don't think Ater is at Huntington.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

I got to talk to an Adena coach on Sunday. Oddly enough, they actually have a couple of transfers that came in, but didn't lose any. I guess the kid from Greenfield is a really nice freshman. Sounds like they are really excited in Frankfort.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Where is the preview? Does anyone have possible matchups? Would like to get to that just to see the different athletes. Thank you

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

based on pfloyds preseason rankings:

Zane Trace
Westfall
Unioto
Paint Valley
Adena
Southeastern
Piketon
Huntington

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

I would be really surprised if ZT doesn’t win a gold basketball this year.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Didn't ZT lose their point guard and a 6' 7" post? Or am I mistaken? I agree that ZT is a favorite, but a gold ball is special and not easily done. Should be interesting.

Svcguru
Freshman Team

Post by Svcguru »

soggybottomtopper wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:38 pm Didn't ZT lose their point guard and a 6' 7" post? Or am I mistaken? I agree that ZT is a favorite, but a gold ball is special and not easily done. Should be interesting.
The post player is No loss at all. Anybody close to the ZT program will tell you that. The kid Underperformed and was a distraction in the locker room. Sure he had some highlight dunks but he barley saw the floor towards the end of the season. The PG (Nichols) was a great defender but struggled to score.

They return seniors Ream, Robinson & Stonerock as starters. Senior Austin Ison. Then bring up Juniors Carter Langley, Brock Jarrell & Sophomores Landen Jarrell & Landon Robinson from a Jv Team that won the league last season. This team top to bottom is better than last seasons svc champions. I do agree a gold basketball is extremely tough but this team has that potential.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Svcguru wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:43 am
soggybottomtopper wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:38 pm Didn't ZT lose their point guard and a 6' 7" post? Or am I mistaken? I agree that ZT is a favorite, but a gold ball is special and not easily done. Should be interesting.
The post player is No loss at all. Anybody close to the ZT program will tell you that. The kid Underperformed and was a distraction in the locker room. Sure he had some highlight dunks but he barley saw the floor towards the end of the season. The PG (Nichols) was a great defender but struggled to score.

They return seniors Ream, Robinson & Stonerock as starters. Senior Austin Ison. Then bring up Juniors Carter Langley, Brock Jarrell & Sophomores Landen Jarrell & Landon Robinson from a Jv Team that won the league last season. This team top to bottom is better than last seasons svc champions. I do agree a gold basketball is extremely tough but this team has that potential.
Good info. Thank you

PVBearcat2012
Freshman Team

Post by PVBearcat2012 »

soggybottomtopper wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:11 pm
PVBearcat2012 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:09 am
I have heard different stories on Miller and was wondering if anybody knew how he is doing in his recovery? I had heard a rumor that he would be back for the game vs. Unioto on Friday, but obviously that was just chatter. Hope he is getting close to being cleared.
Miller is running and jumping and has started working out again. They expect him to for sure be ready for the start of basketball season and might even make an appearance tomorrow...

Return to “Boys Basketball”