SOC 2 LEAGUE PROJECTIONS

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: SOC 2 LEAGUE PROJECTIONS

Post by BigBlueNation »

2quick2catch wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:47 am
Tower wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:06 am
BigBlueNation wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:46 pm

Not the problem right now with basketball. Most of it is kids not willing to put in the time and work to get better. You have a handful that are willing but that's it.
The group of kids there now are more than willing to put the time and effort in. Kids did not want to play for Scarberry and his disciples, they never have. When the board did not renew Scarberry's contract the first time who did they hire? Barlow, Scarberry's assistant. kids did not want to play for Barlow. Board gets rid of him (do you know why?), who do they hire? Smith, assistant to Scarberry and Barlow. board gets rid of Smith, who do they hire? Scarberry which retained Smith brought back all the same coaches and added his son and now I hear brought back Barlow (why did they get rid of him?). Who do you think the next assistant coach that makes the ranks as a NW head coach will be? recycling the same coaches and same system that hasn't worked for how many years. Might get more by in from players if the school board wipes the slate clean and brings in new and exciting coaches, new system, new thought processes. By the way, who did they hire as girls head coach?
I believe Smith, and Drew will probably be NW next head coach.
Don't think Drew is interested.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Who were the three kids that transferred from Wheelersburg to South Webster?

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:43 pm Who were the three kids that transferred from Wheelersburg to South Webster?
I was wondering the same. I know Sommers left last spring. I've heard a rumor that a second kid has enrolled supposedly. Haven't even heard a rumor about the third

NW97
Freshman Team

Post by NW97 »

2quick2catch wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:47 am

Not the problem right now with basketball. Most of it is kids not willing to put in the time and work to get better. You have a handful that are willing but that's it.
The group of kids there now are more than willing to put the time and effort in. Kids did not want to play for Scarberry and his disciples, they never have. When the board did not renew Scarberry's contract the first time who did they hire? Barlow, Scarberry's assistant. kids did not want to play for Barlow. Board gets rid of him (do you know why?), who do they hire? Smith, assistant to Scarberry and Barlow. board gets rid of Smith, who do they hire? Scarberry which retained Smith brought back all the same coaches and added his son and now I hear brought back Barlow (why did they get rid of him?). Who do you think the next assistant coach that makes the ranks as a NW head coach will be? recycling the same coaches and same system that hasn't worked for how many years. Might get more by in from players if the school board wipes the slate clean and brings in new and exciting coaches, new system, new thought processes. By the way, who did they hire as girls head coach?
I believe Smith, and Drew will probably be NW next head coach.
Smith and Barlow are the new girls coaches

Seofanatic
Riding the Bench

Post by Seofanatic »

Tower wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:53 pm

Will not be surprising. Will be outcoached. NW just keeps recycling coaches and expect different results. What's that called? Oh yeah NW.
Girls job, from what I hear, was handed to Smith without any interviews. Supposedly, there were other qualified applicants who didn't receive an interview.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I believe Minford, Valley, and Webster are in their own category this year. Following those three I could see Burg, West, EP, Northwest battling it out. Wasn’t able to see Oak Hill much last year and Waverly is way down. I will say some people around Waverly have said they have some decent athletes that might surprise some people but I’m not quite as optimistic about the Tigers this year.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

Tower wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:53 pm
BigBlueNation wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:17 pm

I'll be surprised if Waverly finishes ahead of Northwest.
Will not be surprising. Will be outcoached. NW just keeps recycling coaches and expect different results. What's that called? Oh yeah NW.
Agreed! I said this last year. It is getting harder and harder for coaches to "expect" kids to work. I see more and more parents making excuses for kids too. Just the times I guess.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

bobcats94 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:08 pm I believe Minford, Valley, and Webster are in their own category this year. Following those three I could see Burg, West, EP, Northwest battling it out. Wasn’t able to see Oak Hill much last year and Waverly is way down. I will say some people around Waverly have said they have some decent athletes that might surprise some people but I’m not quite as optimistic about the Tigers this year.
Nah, I think I've only seen where maybe a couple people honestly think Waverly is going to surprise. If the summer league stuff is any indication Waverly will be a 7-10 win team at best this year. They'll beat OH twice, they've got Eastern twice but that should be fairly competitive. Waverly will be young I think we've got 1 guy coming back that played meaningful minutes last season who will be a senior. After that I think you're going to see a junior or 2 play, several sophomores getting a lot of minutes and possibly 1 freshman in the mix.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

as long as Burg comes out of fall sports without major injuries they will be right there for the SOC title as always. This will be one of the strongest biggest rosters at burg in a while. This will be the most physical team in the SOC by a wide margin. No superstar but very deep look for 8-10 kids in the rotation. Don't sleep on Prater in his first year he knows these kids well. I fully expect an SOC title and another deep run in the playoffs

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Blitz wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:06 am as long as Burg comes out of fall sports without major injuries they will be right there for the SOC title as always. This will be one of the strongest biggest rosters at burg in a while. This will be the most physical team in the SOC by a wide margin. No superstar but very deep look for 8-10 kids in the rotation. Don't sleep on Prater in his first year he knows these kids well. I fully expect an SOC title and another deep run in the playoffs
If Burg gets Johnson and Arthur back from injury, that will certainly help defense and rebounding. But I still struggling to see where their scoring gonna come from to compete for a SOC II title. I currently got them behind Valley, Minford, and Webster, but it wouldn't shock me if somehow Burg ends up in the title picture again as they typically do. My current prediction:

1. Valley
2. Minford
3. Webster
4. Burg
5. Northwest
6. West
7. Waverly
8. Oak Hill
9. Eastern

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

My Prediction
1. Burg
2. Minford
3. Valley
4. Northwest
5. Webster
6. West
7. Eastern
8. Waverly
9. Oak Hill

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Valley hands down has the most talented roster and it's their league title to lose.

Minford and Webster are right there with the potential to knock Valley off but would have to play really really well.

Oak Hill will be better than people think. They improved last year and return many of those pieces. Staff does a great job with what they have and now 3 years into it I think Oak Hill will have a season around .500 or a little higher.

Burg will have the athletes to compete and will have a physical team, but I struggle to see where consistent scoring and handling pressure will come from.

Northwest has a great front 3 in Jenkins-Bolin-Lintz, but will struggle at other positions. Those 3 could win a good amount of games for Northwest, though.

West has plenty of athletes but I'm not sure they have the consistent scoring to be in the top half of the league. They'll be physical with some speed but I don't see a ton of true 'basketball players' on the roster.

Waverly lost a ton but has plenty of athletes in the hall. The verdict is still out on them. The staff in place will do a good job but I think it's a wait-and-see from a fan perspective to see what the kids are capable of on a nightly basis.

Eastern has a new young coach but they just simply don't have the horses to compete in this League.

1.) Valley
2.) Webster
3.) Minford
4.) Oak Hill
5.) Wheelersburg
6.) Northwest
7.) West
8.) Waverly
9.) Eastern

Watching SE Ohio basketball
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly is gonna surprise some folks..

Waverlyfan2022
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyfan2022 »

@smurray not sure how waverly will surprise any one didn’t they lose like everyone and didn’t the coach retire and ain’t his son at paint valley he was probably going to be the best player we had did they get a few new players or something who they got returning…

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

I think it will come down to Minford, Valley, and Webster. I know Valley has a lot coming back but will they be able to replace Stuart? I know Copley can play but seems as if the Indians struggled when Stuart didn't score. I think Valley was outcoached also against Western. I think Minford has the depth to win the conference but they seem to underachieve every year. For Webster, I just wonder how long it will take the transfers to get settled in

1. Minford
2. Valley
3. Webster
4. Burg
5. NW
6. Waverly
7, West
8. Oak Hill
9. Eastern

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I agree, I think it will be down to Minford, Valley, and Webster. Will see how Valley does without Stuart and Webster without Zimmerman. Agree with you on Minford, they have the talent, but doesn't always result in wins or long tournament runs. Montgomery will be an animal though. Might even see a share of the title this year. Burg, West, NW, Waverly, all still have the potential to play spoiler on any given night.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

I have a hard time not picking Webster to win the league this year. A few new faces from Burg along with a very strong core and possibly the best player in the area in Roberts. If he learns from last year and stays mentally tough throughout the year, I do not see anyone in the conference that can match up with him.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

DcP3407 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:41 pm I have a hard time not picking Webster to win the league this year. A few new faces from Burg along with a very strong core and possibly the best player in the area in Roberts. If he learns from last year and stays mentally tough throughout the year, I do not see anyone in the conference that can match up with him.
Talent is there but youth might hurt them. Mault/White/Shupert/Roberts are all sophomores and only one played significant varsity minutes last year. Future there is incredibly bright especially with a very talented freshman group behind them.

Shupert is really going to surprise folks this year. That kid has a chance to be a special player for the Jeeps.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

I agree with you on Shupert - he is a very athletic kid. And you are right about being young. Should make for an interesting year this year, which will be fun. It is always great when there are 4/5 teams in contention and there are key games each week that can dictate the outcome of the league.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I don’t know anything about the transfers but agree on Shupe. I thought he would be great when he was in 7th grade. Look for Bender to have another great season on defense this year, Webster was nasty with that press last year

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”