SOC 2 LEAGUE PROJECTIONS

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Re: SOC 2 LEAGUE PROJECTIONS

Post by DcP3407 »

I'm hoping that there hasn't been, but have there been any injuries through fall sports that will have an impact on any of the teams?

iplayfootball
Waterboy

Post by iplayfootball »

I think west will surprise a lot of people this year. Got a chance to watch one of there scrimmages this summer and man does that defense look great. They have so many athletes it'll be hard to compete with them. I see Valley, Minford , or south webster taking the league but it would not surprise me if west or burg spoils these teams title shots.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I think just like last year, league champion will have a few losses. Should be a lot of good games this year.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:35 am I think just like last year, league champion will have a few losses. Should be a lot of good games this year.
Who won the league last year and how many losses did they have?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

smurray wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 am
transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:35 am I think just like last year, league champion will have a few losses. Should be a lot of good games this year.
You are the Waverly expert, they won, not sure how many losses they had, did they go undefeated in league play?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:33 am
smurray wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:17 am
You are the Waverly expert, they won, not sure how many losses they had, did they go undefeated in league play?
They did not go undefeated. They lost one (to Minford). They had other close games with Valley (2x), Burg (once) and I can't recall the other, but they weren't blowouts by any stretch.

They were also hands down the best team in SEO (heck they went to the Final 4 in D2) so that speaks volumes of the strength of the SOC 2.

I also think the league champion this year will have a blemish or two on their record in the conference. 3 very good teams with Valley being the odds on favorite.... and several other teams that are very dangerous within the conference. I expect a very, very competitive SOC2 this year.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Ok, so I was wrong, only 1 loss. My bad. Just meant no one will be winning the league with 0 conference losses.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

theyoungprodigy wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:31 pm
spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:43 pm Who were the three kids that transferred from Wheelersburg to South Webster?
Tyler summers sf for burg last year christian white good bench guard and owen malt
Wait!!!! I thought only Burg got transfers in!! :o :o :o

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:47 am Ok, so I was wrong, only 1 loss. My bad. Just meant no one will be winning the league with 0 conference losses.
Just messin' with you..... I do agree conference champion this year may have 2 losses or more. Maybe one of them surprises like Waverly did last year. Of course the Tigers pulled out some tight ones.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yeah, it will be a tight race I think. Waverly might surprise some people. They will have athletes. New coach, new system, will be interesting.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

transplant wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:21 pm Yeah, it will be a tight race I think. Waverly might surprise some people. They will have athletes. New coach, new system, will be interesting.
I know some questioned the hiring of Evan Callihan as the new basketball leader at Waverly given his lack of boys head coaching experience. Yet he may be just what the Tigers need in charting a new path after last season's exhausting final four push. The fresh start may not produce immediate results in terms of wins, but new ideas and new energy will produce success in future seasons.

https://news.yahoo.com/large-shoes-fill ... 07251.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

1 Valley
2 West
3 Minford
4 SW
5 Oak Hill
6 Wheelersburg
7 Northwest
8 Waverly
9 Eastern

I think Minford and Valley will struggle rebounding the ball and playing interior defense without Zimmerman and Stuart. The big kid Stewart that came off the bench for Valley will need to be a factor. He’s had health issues. If he doesn’t play well they are in trouble. Teams will run another guard at Montgomery and get the ball out of his hands. I’m not sure he will have enough help.

Not sold on Webster’s backcourt. I think they have several decent players and the big boy. Not sure they are ready.

OH has 2 good players.
Could be the least talented Wheelersburg team in years.
NW has a couple decent players

West will surprise. They were playing good ball at the end of the year. Will be a solid defensive team with lots of athleticism. Sissel is a load underneath. Tipton and Bishop are 2 of the better athletes in the league. Irwin and Fike are solid players.

DcP3407
Riding the Bench

Post by DcP3407 »

Westfan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:26 pm 1 Valley
2 West
3 Minford
4 SW
5 Oak Hill
6 Wheelersburg
7 Northwest
8 Waverly
9 Eastern

I think Minford and Valley will struggle rebounding the ball and playing interior defense without Zimmerman and Stuart. The big kid Stewart that came off the bench for Valley will need to be a factor. He’s had health issues. If he doesn’t play well they are in trouble. Teams will run another guard at Montgomery and get the ball out of his hands. I’m not sure he will have enough help.

Not sold on Webster’s backcourt. I think they have several decent players and the big boy. Not sure they are ready.

OH has 2 good players.

West will surprise. They were playing good ball at the end of the year. Will be a solid defensive team with lots of athleticism. Sissel is a load underneath. Tipton and Bishop are 2 of the better athletes in the league. Irwin and Fike are solid players.
I do not know much about West but I take your word on it seeing your from there. I don't think I caught one of their games last year. Perhaps their football success spills over to basketball???

I do not think Minford will struggle with rebounding - Shoemaker is big body, Kayser has good size, and the Hannah kid has the height if he gets a little stronger. I do think that they rely too heavily on Montgomery , as evident in the tournament when they lost to Burg, so they will need someone else to step up and score if they want to win the league.

I do agree that Valley is more than likely the favorite, however, I think they are going to have a few losses. They have shooters and they are going to try to generate offense by way of their defense and press.

Webster is going to be a strong contender this year. Roberts just presents a mismatch against any team they play. It just depends on how much help he has and how willing he is to allow teammates to help. He definitely has the skill and size to take over any game this year.

Wheelersburg will surprise some people. I think they will find a way to finish in the top 3 of the league. They return a few starters from last years district championship team(Schwamburger, Wright, and Estep), Arthurs returns from injury, and they have a few freshman that I think will contribute more and more as the season goes on. Like Waverly and Eastern, Burg has a new coach this year, so it will be interesting to see if there are some changes to philosophy/gameplay.

I do not know much about Eastern . Seen some of the stuff the new coach has put on social media and he seems to be generating some positive energy in Beaver.

Same with Waverly - New coach and I am not real familiar with their program - Only that from what I remember seeing, their Jv and jr high groups have been pretty weak and that it hurts them losing the younger Robertson kid.

Northwest - Litz is a player, but I think you need more than one player to compete for a league title.

My picks:

1 Valley
2 Minford
3 -Tie - SW and Burg
4 West
5 Northwest
6 Oak Hill
7 Eastern
8 Waverly

I would not be surprised if Valley, Minford, SW or Burg would win the Leauge.

Something else to think about with most of these teams playing in the football playoffs - How far they make it (this has always hurt Burg) and also how far they make it in the Soccer playoffs- - Many of these athletes we talk about in Basketball play a fall sport and with the way the SOC schedule is, an early loss/upset can easily happen.

Zone6_11Warriors
Waterboy

Post by Zone6_11Warriors »

Valley's depth is what will hurt. I just worry about who will score besides Copley. Seems like they were lost last year when Stewart wasn't scoring. I think it may end up a 3 way tie or split. I can't see an outright champ. Minford, Valley, SW. Minford seems to underachieve every year, SW has new faces to go along with Roberts, and Valley lost Stewart but has their main core back. Who is going to step up and be the 5th man for Valley?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Will Collins about to have a monster year this season.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Great run downs. All good points and concerns about each team. Valley still has Arnett, Buckle, and Nickel too. Losing Stuart is big, but there were plenty of games last year that Arnett was the leading scorer. I look for the 5th man this year to be the Vice kid off the JV team. Stewart will come in and give good minutes too, I hope. But no, they will not be very deep, unless some freshman see minutes as well.

Minford will have size with Shoemaker and others. Will the freshman Caudill see any varsity minutes? Webster will have Roberts, but I think losing Zimmerman hurts them more than people realize. But the new additions to their roster will help. Waverly, West, and Wheelersburg are the biggest question marks to me. But I think they will be competitive. Will be a fun season, no off nights.

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

transplant wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:06 am Great run downs. All good points and concerns about each team. Valley still has Arnett, Buckle, and Nickel too. Losing Stuart is big, but there were plenty of games last year that Arnett was the leading scorer. I look for the 5th man this year to be the Vice kid off the JV team. Stewart will come in and give good minutes too, I hope. But no, they will not be very deep, unless some freshman see minutes as well.

Minford will have size with Shoemaker and others. Will the freshman Caudill see any varsity minutes? Webster will have Roberts, but I think losing Zimmerman hurts them more than people realize. But the new additions to their roster will help. Waverly, West, and Wheelersburg are the biggest question marks to me. But I think they will be competitive. Will be a fun season, no off nights.
Honestly, I think they will miss The Carpenter Kid more than the Zimmerman kid. Carpenter did a lot of the so called "nitty, gritty" work.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

True, he did. Both are big holes to fill. Zimmerman also pulled some of the defense off Roberts too. So if Webster can have a solid scorer to go along with Roberts, they will be ok. If not, teams will let Roberts get his and try to shut everyone else down.

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

DcP3407 wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:33 am
Westfan wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:26 pm 1 Valley
2 West
3 Minford
4 SW
5 Oak Hill
6 Wheelersburg
7 Northwest
8 Waverly
9 Eastern

OH has 2 good players.

I do not know much about West but I take your word on it seeing your from there. I don't think I caught one of their games last year. Perhaps their football success spills over to basketball???

I do not think Minford will struggle with rebounding - Shoemaker is big body, Kayser has good size, and the Hannah kid has the height if he gets a little stronger. I do think that they rely too heavily on Montgomery , as evident in the tournament when they lost to Burg, so they will need someone else to step up and score if they want to win the league.

I do agree that Valley is more than likely the favorite, however, I think they are going to have a few losses. They have shooters and they are going to try to generate offense by way of their defense and press.

Webster is going to be a strong contender this year. Roberts just presents a mismatch against any team they play. It just depends on how much help he has and how willing he is to allow teammates to help. He definitely has the skill and size to take over any game this year.

Wheelersburg will surprise some people. I think they will find a way to finish in the top 3 of the league. They return a few starters from last years district championship team(Schwamburger, Wright, and Estep), Arthurs returns from injury, and they have a few freshman that I think will contribute more and more as the season goes on. Like Waverly and Eastern, Burg has a new coach this year, so it will be interesting to see if there are some changes to philosophy/gameplay.

I do not know much about Eastern . Seen some of the stuff the new coach has put on social media and he seems to be generating some positive energy in Beaver.

Same with Waverly - New coach and I am not real familiar with their program - Only that from what I remember seeing, their Jv and jr high groups have been pretty weak and that it hurts them losing the younger Robertson kid.

Northwest - Litz is a player, but I think you need more than one player to compete for a league title.

My picks:

1 Valley
2 Minford
3 -Tie - SW and Burg
4 West
5 Northwest
6 Oak Hill
7 Eastern
8 Waverly

I would not be surprised if Valley, Minford, SW or Burg would win the Leauge.

Something else to think about with most of these teams playing in the football playoffs - How far they make it (this has always hurt Burg) and also how far they make it in the Soccer playoffs- - Many of these athletes we talk about in Basketball play a fall sport and with the way the SOC schedule is, an early loss/upset can easily happen.
Pretty nice run down. I am surprised you left out Stanley 6' 5" (sr) and Swords 6' 3"(jr) for Burg. Stanley is physically unmatched and probably in the running for football MVP and Swords is raw but very athletic. Both will be issues for every team in the SOC

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Heard Roberts is twice the ball player he was last season

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”