Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

wipala
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

Post by wipala »

TTT

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

From what I heard today, don't expect Jeff Lisath to be the next coach of the Trojans. Won't go into specifics, but it looks very much like the coaching search could very well be going in a completely different direction and will be decided upon in a different way.

Many of us had our hopes up, but there's rain on the parade today.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Well that is really disappointing.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

My post above is not an April Fool's joke.....just wanted to clarify that.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

If it’s not Jeff then it’s a shame. If he didn’t want it then ok but if it’s because they didn’t want him then hopefully it’s nobody on the current staff.

Pinwheel
JV Team

Post by Pinwheel »

Sounds like Jeff left ya,all at the Alter " again" !

HERO
Riding the Bench

Post by HERO »

Would Portsmouth be able to compensate him as well as he is being paid now?? I’m sure that’s a HUGE factor in all of this. He is probably making a good salary where he is at now. For some reason people think school districts can just create jobs and find money for coaches, most school do not operate that way

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I know there was a couple people working on getting Jeff employment that paid pretty good , if it was as much as he is making now or even close I wouldn't have a clue of course but they was putting out the effort and trying.

Hoopster98

If he doesn't get the job its Definitely him ,I do know the school did reach out and ask him to fill out the paperwork,and supposedly a meeting was agreed on .

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

What direction does the admin go now with the coaching search? Any viable candidates out there?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Talked to Trojandave today ,and things have turned back to the direction of Jeff Lisath, he has turned his resume in from what he was told from reliable source.

My question is, it seems Scott Duty has taken over the hiring process and search......does anyone know who gets the final say...... superintendent or Board members?

Not sure I've ever heard of a super taking the lead away from the A.D.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The school board makes the final decision as to whether a recommended candidate will be hired. They do not have to approve the recommendation. As far as Superintendent Dutey, he can make a recommendation, but he doesn't make the final call. Remember that the school board hired the Super, the Super didn't hire himself, so the real power rests with the school board. The school board is the liaison between the community and the PCSD. There are times when the board will not intrude into certain decisions levied by the Superintendent. In personnel cases, though, the school board will decide if that person is the BEST candidate for that position. Both the Super and the board are OBLIGATED to hire the best person for the position, whether they are in house or not affiliated with the PCSD.

The fact that the PCSD accepted Jeff's resume means that he is an official candidate for the job. Otherwise they wouldn't have accepted his resume. It is unusual that the AD (Joe Albrecht) is not more involved in the hiring process. Makes me wonder what is really going on. I give Joe a lot of credit for pursuing Jeff 15 years ago and now.

In the case of Jeff Lisath, submitting a resume is the first step of the process to being hired. An interview must be set up, Jeff must follow through on that interview, then resumes of potential candidates will be compared after all the interviews are done. I believe April 20th is when the school board will decide who will be the next coach of the Trojans.

It will be really hard for anyone to top Jeff's resume. He most likely has all the certificates required to be hired, with him currently being a coach at Dayton Northridge. If Jeff follows through on all the steps required and does not get the hire, the cynic in me will say that the process was not done with the highest amount of integrity, especially so if the person hired over Jeff does not have nearly the credentials that he possesses.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I think it comes down to the money. Sounds like Coach Lisath wants to come to Portsmouth. Sounds like Portsmouth want Coach Lisath. So as long as both can come to terms on a job and money, it will happen. If not, Coach Lisath will stay in Dayton. Does PCSD have any jobs available for him? That will be able to pay him the money needed to bring him down here?

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

Jeff will make an immediate impact on and off the floor.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

From my very reliable source who talked to PCSD Superintendent Scott Dutey by phone: Jeff Lisath is an official candidate for the HC job, they have his resume, and all candidates will be contacted on Wednesday to set up an interview.

Thanks to Mr. Dutey for being transparent about the search and making himself available to talk about it with the public. He took the time to return my source's phone call.

Thanks to my source for giving me permission to post this information.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Any word on other candidates PCSD is looking to interview?

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

Very good news to hear. I don't see anybody else the Trojans should look at but Jeff. Always nice to have a backup plan.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

transplant: Don't know who the other official candidates are. I've heard this and that about other candidates, but no official info as to whether their interest is confirmed, so I don't want to put their names out there in fairness to them. Superintendent Dutey confirmed only Jeff in his conversation with my source.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I understand. Thank you, just thought normal practice was to interview atleast 2-3 people. I was just curious. Hopefully it works out to bring Coach Lisath in, not just for the basketball team, but for the whole city. Thanks Dave.

Sportsfan007
Waterboy

Post by Sportsfan007 »

I can think of two but not 100% sure if they did due to them having coaching jobs already.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I know of one who already holds a head coaching position,at least I know he showed interest,not sure if he actually applied.

And heard two in house " showed interest" ,I have no problem with any of them but if Jeff Lisath actually wants the job ,with his experience and credentials,plus being a trojan alumni,I'm not sure what would keep him from landing this job

Return to “Boys Basketball”