Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

Post by trojandave »

BuckeyeBlood: Don't have the official roster yet, and may not have one before the season starts. Some of earlier posts mention most of the roster.

As far as the scrimmage at ZT, the Trojans won 4 of 6 quarters. ZT is #2 on Pfloyd's Elite 8. Didn't go to the scrimmage, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about this team.

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I saw some of the scrimmage between Zane Trace and Portsmouth. I thought Portsmouth looked pretty good. Zane Trace is a physical team inside and the Trojans looked to be holding their own.

markymark1969
Freshman Team

Post by markymark1969 »

2022-23 Portsmouth Trojans Basketball Roster
Player Pos. Grade HT
1-Isaiah Lewis G Jr. 5-9
2-Devon Lattimore G Jr. 6-0
3-Donovon Breech F Jr. 6-3
11-Norris McKinley G Jr. 5-9
14-Tyler Duncan G Sr. 6-0
21-Kenny Sanderlin F Sr. 6-1
22-Brock Anthony G Sr. 5-8
23-Noah Livingston F Jr. 6-2
24-LeVaughn Cobb G Jr. 5-11
33-Luke Stine F So. 6-4
34-DeAndre Berry G Jr. 6-1
HEAD COACH: Gene Collins
Assistant Coaches: Aaron Smith, Tanner Dutey, Len Collins, Paul Wagner, Zack Kelly

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, markymark1969 for the roster.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Here's an add-on to the original schedule.......PHS will play in the Ironton Classic on Dec.21 vs. Wesley Christian (KY) at 4:30.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

How did the scrimmage against Huntington go?

Who Dey!
trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: I didn't go and I'm not on Facebook so I haven't heard how it went.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Ready for some trojan basketball 🏀🏀🏀 .

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:33 pm Ready for some trojan basketball 🏀🏀🏀 .
biggdowgg, when do the Trojans play their first game? vs whom?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:18 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:33 pm Ready for some trojan basketball 🏀🏀🏀 .
biggdowgg, when do the Trojans play their first game? vs whom?
December 6th at home against coal grove.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Gonna be a long season for the Trojans if they don’t start defending the 3 ball. One game in and Coal Grove had way too many uncontested 3’s.

Who Dey!
MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Last night was a tough watch. Trojans need to show a little more heart on defense.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PTrojan59: Totally agree with your post. Coal Grove made 12 threes. If that continues, it will be a disappointing season. This team has talent, but as MeanJoeGreene said, they need to show some more heart on defense. Devin Lattimore of PHS with 29 pts., Kenny Sanderlin with 23. Owen Johnson of CG with 39, including the game winning 3 ball. Half of CG's 72 points were by the 3 ball.

Offensively, the Trojans are very good. But it will go all for naught if they don't D up.

Moses Guthrie
Varsity

Post by Moses Guthrie »

The Trojans are allowing crucial possessions and momentum swings to slip away at the end of quarters.
Time management when there is less than 30 seconds on the clock has been sub par in recent years, and it showed again last night.
The Trojans were up 4 near the end of the first and were forcing the offense, resulting in a forced shot with 20 some seconds left in the quarter. CG responded with a bucket, got momentum at the end of the first, and this proved to be the difference in the final score.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Moses Guthrie: Totally agree with your post. Too many times we shoot too early with enough seconds left on the clock to give the opposing team time to score. As PTrojan59 mentioned along with MeanJoeGreene, the lack of perimeter defense vs. Coal Grove was apparent and not the first time that's happened. What may be forgotten about the CG game was that the Hornets made two 3 pointers in that last minute, with PHS up 70-66.

Here are several examples of what I'm alluding to:

Last season: Home vs. Fairland.......PHS up 2 with just seconds left, but the Dragons hit a jumper to tie the game at the buzzer and then win the game in OT. Portsmouth couldn't get the rebound off the first and second miss which led to the tying jumper.
Ironton: Matt Sheridan hits game winning 3 ball with a second left and IHS wins 65-64 at PHS.
Minford: The Falcons made 17 threes and routed the Trojans 94-66.

2018-2021: Chance Gunther of South Point makes a wide open 3 at the top of the key at the buzzer to beat Portsmouth at PHS.
Coal Grove: After the Trojans could not get the rebound off a miss, the Hornets' Aaron Music hits game winning jumper at the buzzer at PHS.
Fairland: Up 3 with 30 seconds to play, Trojans give up 3 pointer to Aiden Porter and Dragons go on to win the game in OT at FHS.
Gallia Academy: GAHS hits 3 pointer at the top of the key at buzzer to tie the game and then wins in OT at PHS.

The lack of perimeter defense has cost the Trojans wins time and again over the course of the last few seasons. What we saw Tuesday vs. Coal Grove was just a repeat of what has been a thorn in Portsmouth's defense. What's equally frustrating is that PHS is as athletic as any team in the OVC and has the capability to "close out". Clearly that has been lacking more than just Tuesday night.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The Trojans now occupy the basement of the OVC (0-2) after a 73-55 loss at South Point. The Pointers jumped to an 18-4 first quarter lead and PHS couldn't get closer than 7 points the rest of the way. Unofficially Devin Lattimore is averaging 25.5 PPG. (29 vs. Coal Grove and at least 22 vs. SP)

PHS JV's now 0-2 after 38-28 loss to SP. Did look better than the first game vs. Coal Grove.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

Well, it certainly isn't the start I was expecting. No way Portsmouth should be losing by 18 to South Point.

TigerBob
All Conference

Post by TigerBob »

Portsmouth is committed to not playing defense

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

It's rather disheartening. The Trojans have pieces to be competitive, I don't believe anyone on their schedule should be beating them by 20 points. I really don't get it. This has been going on for several years now too so it's not exactly new. Not sure what the answer is at this point.

MeanJoeGreene
Riding the Bench

Post by MeanJoeGreene »

MeanJoeGreene wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:55 pm It's rather disheartening. The Trojans have pieces to be competitive, I don't believe anyone on their schedule should be beating them by 20 points. I really don't get it. This has been going on for several years now too so it's not exactly new. Not sure what the answer is at this point. Kids need to have a sense of pride and purpose when you put on that Trojan uniform. You are representing one of the most storied high school basketball programs in the state. I understand and recognize that PHS doesn't have the talent that once roamed the halls but they should still have a more competitive product on the court.

Return to “Boys Basketball”