Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

Post by biggdowgg »

I'm not going to point fingers at the kids or the coaches,all I do know is this program was at it's lowest before Collins took over and he turned it around pretty quick,he is closing in on being the winningest coach at PHS .

As far as fundamentals , anyone that follows Trojan basketball consistently "and that's not many" knows that Collins puts a lot of time in for the kids,there's probably not another coach around that puts the time in the does,like Trojan Dave said the Gym is always open to the kids , Collins also has the kids playing every game allow in the summer,along with scrimmages ,on top of that he runs a program in the off season called ,the club with his staff and brings in other coaches and different people to teach different skills,he has acquired thousands of dollars worth of equipment to learn and development skills and help kids with every aspect of the game,and it's open to all kids ,girls ,boys all ages and any kid from any school is welcome.

Like I said I'm not pointing fingers and I'm not sure it's time to panic about this season yet lol , still a lot of basketball to play,but one thing I do know it's not for the lack of effort to try to develop these kids....like I said all ages are welcome to join the club and work and learn.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

You called it swanker,,, ALWAYS

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

biggdowgg wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:19 pm I'm not going to point fingers at the kids or the coaches,all I do know is this program was at it's lowest before Collins took over and he turned it around pretty quick,he is closing in on being the winningest coach at PHS .

As far as fundamentals , anyone that follows Trojan basketball consistently "and that's not many" knows that Collins puts a lot of time in for the kids,there's probably not another coach around that puts the time in the does,like Trojan Dave said the Gym is always open to the kids , Collins also has the kids playing every game allow in the summer,along with scrimmages ,on top of that he runs a program in the off season called ,the club with his staff and brings in other coaches and different people to teach different skills,he has acquired thousands of dollars worth of equipment to learn and development skills and help kids with every aspect of the game,and it's open to all kids ,girls ,boys all ages and any kid from any school is welcome.

Like I said I'm not pointing fingers and I'm not sure it's time to panic about this season yet lol , still a lot of basketball to play,but one thing I do know it's not for the lack of effort to try to develop these kids....like I said all ages are welcome to join the club and work and learn.
I would expect nothing less from Eugene Collins. Good man and friend.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

No disrespect to coach Collins or the Trojan faithful.. but things run their course. I'm a huge believer that a program has to be on the same page from the bottom to the top.. youth coaches have to teach way more skills (jump stops, retreat dribble,shooting/passing technique, pivot footwork) and a lot of times someone needs to show the coaches what they need to be showing the kids. An some pointers or advice on whats the best way to teach it.. have a little clinic. Make sure everyone is pointed the right direction. I also get that there's a ton distracting em nowadays..an they don't play any pickup ball.. an blah blah. But I also know that numbers tend to stay up in a youth program where the kids are bein taught right an they're having some success as opposed to one where fundamentals an details aren't the focus..an the teams venture out in Allstars an take beatdowns.. culture culture culture.... an it has to start at the top.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Some good points made by all.......biggdowgg and I have been in person witnesses to the "Club" during the summer. We have watched individual instruction on fundamentals by the coaching staff. Not a one man operation for sure. The sad part is that basically the same 7-10 kids show up. The ones who really need instruction are no-shows. Coach Collins can't control that.

Biggdowgg and I support Coach Collins, but we don't agree with everything he does. We don't necessarily agree with starting lineups from time to time, what defense the Trojans are in, or a particular substitution pattern during a game. But we support the WHOLE of what he has done.....he took us from 7 straight losing seasons to back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, a regional final in 2015, an OVC and SEOAL title, in addition to 7 winning seasons. Even without a winning season since 2018, Coach is still averaging about 14 wins a year. (195-120)

I go back to my original point about kids loving the game.......in his 14 years at PHS, Coach Collins has had 5 players who have scored at least 1,000 points for their careers......Dion McKinley (2012), Wayne Evans(2012), Kyre Allison(2016), Kendal Reynolds(2017) and Matthew Fraulini(2020). There's no way these 5 would have those outstanding careers without a love of the game. I remember seeing all of them working out by themselves, and they are in the same era as the cell phone and video game generation. Jayllen Carter didn't score 1,000 points, but he did score 44 in a game vs. Jackson in 2013 which stood as the individual school record until Matthew Fraulini broke it with 46 vs. Rock Hill. Jayllen had a love of the game where he became a star player in the 2012 and 2013 seasons after not being prominent at the JV level. He and Wayne Evans teamed for 45 points in the 2012 semifinal vs. Ottawa-Glandorf. DJ Eley, Alex Dickerson, Sky Oliver, Zaide Noel, Isaiah Lisath, Mike Malone, Dariyonne Bryant, Reese Johnson, and Ethan Leonard, just to name a few whom I witnessed first hand on many of these players' work ethic. Were they products of biddy ball or just players who loved the game? I think the latter is the answer.

One last point about Coach Collins........how many know that he has raised over $100,000 dollars to take the Trojans to Florida 4 times in the KSA tournament? That in itself took an incredible amount of work to do that.

I guess the saving grace about varsity basketball is that a coach can pick his team from 4 classes.....FR through SR. Hopefully that will result in the Trojans putting a competitive team on the court in the next few years.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Rza1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:38 am No disrespect to coach Collins or the Trojan faithful.. but things run their course. I'm a huge believer that a program has to be on the same page from the bottom to the top.. youth coaches have to teach way more skills (jump stops, retreat dribble,shooting/passing technique, pivot footwork) and a lot of times someone needs to show the coaches what they need to be showing the kids. An some pointers or advice on whats the best way to teach it.. have a little clinic. Make sure everyone is pointed the right direction. I also get that there's a ton distracting em nowadays..an they don't play any pickup ball.. an blah blah. But I also know that numbers tend to stay up in a youth program where the kids are bein taught right an they're having some success as opposed to one where fundamentals an details aren't the focus..an the teams venture out in Allstars an take beatdowns.. culture culture culture.... an it has to start at the top.

I don't feel like you are being disrespectful at all, everyone has their opinions,and I agree with your post.

fielddaddy
JV Team

Post by fielddaddy »

biggdowgg wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:06 pm
Rza1 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:38 am No disrespect to coach Collins or the Trojan faithful.. but things run their course. I'm a huge believer that a program has to be on the same page from the bottom to the top.. youth coaches have to teach way more skills (jump stops, retreat dribble,shooting/passing technique, pivot footwork) and a lot of times someone needs to show the coaches what they need to be showing the kids. An some pointers or advice on whats the best way to teach it.. have a little clinic. Make sure everyone is pointed the right direction. I also get that there's a ton distracting em nowadays..an they don't play any pickup ball.. an blah blah. But I also know that numbers tend to stay up in a youth program where the kids are bein taught right an they're having some success as opposed to one where fundamentals an details aren't the focus..an the teams venture out in Allstars an take beatdowns.. culture culture culture.... an it has to start at the top.

I don't feel like you are being disrespectful at all, everyone has their opinions,and I agree with your post.
It’s not college ball where you pick your players it’s HighSchool where you play with what you have.
The coaching staff has done great with what they had to work with IMO
I would love to see Ironton go 20-0 or 18-2 every year but it won’t happen because they have to coach the players they have and win and lose with what they have.
Just like Portsmouth does.
But I respect what Portsmouth does and I wish them the best till they play Ironton
Good luck Trojans

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Anyone have a Burg-Portsmouth score??

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:15 pm Anyone have a Burg-Portsmouth score??
Burg 64-55.

Rza1
Freshman Team

Post by Rza1 »

trojandave wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:46 pm Some good points made by all.......biggdowgg and I have been in person witnesses to the "Club" during the summer. We have watched individual instruction on fundamentals by the coaching staff. Not a one man operation for sure. The sad part is that basically the same 7-10 kids show up. The ones who really need instruction are no-shows. Coach Collins can't control that.

Biggdowgg and I support Coach Collins, but we don't agree with everything he does. We don't necessarily agree with starting lineups from time to time, what defense the Trojans are in, or a particular substitution pattern during a game. But we support the WHOLE of what he has done.....he took us from 7 straight losing seasons to back to back Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, a regional final in 2015, an OVC and SEOAL title, in addition to 7 winning seasons. Even without a winning season since 2018, Coach is still averaging about 14 wins a year. (195-120)

I go back to my original point about kids loving the game.......in his 14 years at PHS, Coach Collins has had 5 players who have scored at least 1,000 points for their careers......Dion McKinley (2012), Wayne Evans(2012), Kyre Allison(2016), Kendal Reynolds(2017) and Matthew Fraulini(2020). There's no way these 5 would have those outstanding careers without a love of the game. I remember seeing all of them working out by themselves, and they are in the same era as the cell phone and video game generation. Jayllen Carter didn't score 1,000 points, but he did score 44 in a game vs. Jackson in 2013 which stood as the individual school record until Matthew Fraulini broke it with 46 vs. Rock Hill. Jayllen had a love of the game where he became a star player in the 2012 and 2013 seasons after not being prominent at the JV level. He and Wayne Evans teamed for 45 points in the 2012 semifinal vs. Ottawa-Glandorf. DJ Eley, Alex Dickerson, Sky Oliver, Zaide Noel, Isaiah Lisath, Mike Malone, Dariyonne Bryant, Reese Johnson, and Ethan Leonard, just to name a few whom I witnessed first hand on many of these players' work ethic. Were they products of biddy ball or just players who loved the game? I think the latter is the answer.

One last point about Coach Collins........how many know that he has raised over $100,000 dollars to take the Trojans to Florida 4 times in the KSA tournament? That in itself took an incredible amount of work to do that.

I guess the saving grace about varsity basketball is that a coach can pick his team from 4 classes.....FR through SR. Hopefully that will result in the Trojans putting a competitive team on the court in the next few years.

Wish you guys all the luck.. an I can tell 100% that you're passionate about your city an about your school.. a lotta programs/neighborhoods would be lucky as hell ta have someone like you around.. you stay positive..always eyes up. No excuses no finger pointing. An these kids need a lot more of that in their lives for sure. An not jus for hoops... good luck my man..

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth trailed Wheelersburg 35-20 at halftime, fought back to within 53-49 with about 3 minutes remaining in the game, but the Pirates held off the Trojans rally and won 64-55 at PHS. The series is now 24-22 in favor of Portsmouth. Kenny Sanderlin and Devin Lattimore led PHS with 16 points each. Both teams did well at the FT line, with PHS outrebounding the Burg 32-27. Wheelersburg committed fewer turnovers, with 12 compared to 17 for the Trojans.

Portsmouth is now 3-5 overall, 1-4 at home, and play at Rock Hill on Tuesday and at Gallia Academy on Friday.

The PHS JV is now 0-6 after a 24 point loss to the Wheelersburg JV.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

fielddaddy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:57 pm
biggdowgg wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:06 pm

It’s not college ball where you pick your players it’s HighSchool where you play with what you have.
The coaching staff has done great with what they had to work with IMO
I would love to see Ironton go 20-0 or 18-2 every year but it won’t happen because they have to coach the players they have and win and lose with what they have.
Just like Portsmouth does.
But I respect what Portsmouth does and I wish them the best till they play Ironton
Good luck Trojans
How does who the kids are or their talent level have any bearing on fundamentals? It appears that one of the most common complaints over the past few years has been a lack of fundamentals, especially on the defensive end. I would argue it exists offensively as well. There has been a lot of talent and athleticism at PHS over the past handful of losing seasons. They have not been at a severe talent and athletic disadvantage compared to their schedule. They have appeared less fundamental and less team-oriented than the likes of Fairland, Chesapeake, Coal Grove and others.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth led most of the game vs. Rock Hill last night, but had to survive a Redmen rally in the 4th quarter to win 52-48. Devin Lattimore had 27 for the Trojans, who couldn't pull away from RH. The Redmen cut a 7 point deficit to 1 in the final few minutes, but PHS hung on with some key FT's by Lattimore to seal the win. Portsmouth in now 4-5 overall, 2-3 in OVC play, and 1-1 on the road in the conference.

The PHS JV remained winless with a 49-20 Rock Hill win. The JV's are now 0-7 on the season.

The Trojans face a tough test on Friday as they travel to Gallia Academy. Next Tuesday they play at Ironton, then at Coal Grove on Friday 1/12.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Gallia Academy scored the most points ever vs. Portsmouth in the 64 game series with a 91-82 win at GAHS. The Trojans fell behind 18-6, and never seriously threatened the Blue Devils with the closest they got was the final score. Salute to the Trojans for fighting until the end, but giving up 91 points will virtually never win a ballgame. GAHS scored in every way imaginable, and in the last few minutes made a ton of FT's. Both teams combined for about 65-70 points in the 4th quarter.

Devin Lattimore had 27 for the Trojans, while DeAndre Berry had 18, Kenny Sanderlin had 16, and Tyler Duncan 11. PHS is now 4-6 overall, and 2-4 in OVC play. GAHS is now 3-2 in the OVC. PHS now leads the overall series 46-18.

The Portsmouth JV is now 0-8 on the season after a 56-28 loss to GAHS.

Lattimore is worthy of 1st team all-OVC, with games of 29, 27, and 27 in conference play.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

By the looks of the Middle School team Portsmouth will not be bringing quality kids up. They only have an 8th grade team and some of them were girls. What's going on? I know a lot of girls programs do not have enough to play a full 7th and 8th grade schedule but haven't seen that in the boys programs!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

osumufan: The Portsmouth Junior High boys team are not all 8th graders. There are some 7th graders as well, and there are no girls on the team. The numbers at PJHS are way down, so much so that there isn't enough players to have a separate 7th and 8th grade team. It looks bleak for the PHS varsity after next season, when this respectable junior class graduates. After that, the Trojans could be fighting to stay out of the basement of the OVC unless something dramatic happens between now and then. The JV Trojans are currently 0-8, and have a lot of work to do in the off season if they want to change their fortunes for next year. The PJHS team I believe hasn't won a game either. I've watched them twice and they were beaten by a running clock in both games.

I've heard a lot of very good reports about the 6th grade Trojans, but that's 4 years from now that they will come up to varsity, although from what I hearing a couple of them could start as freshmen.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Is there a live stream or even radio broadcast of tonight’s Portsmouth game?

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Portsmouth leads Ironton, 29-25, at the half.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

biggdowgg wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:48 am
Where's the entire game that shows all of the bad or non calls on both teams throughout the game, terrible officiating overall against both teams. I think we can all agree on that. This just highlights one of them.

Return to “Boys Basketball”