Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans 22-23 Basketball

Post by trojandave »

Hoopster98: I just want the best candidate for the job, whether that be Jeff or someone else. Whoever it is, they have a lot of work to do to get this program back on the winning side of the ledger. I hope that the hiring isn't going to be a long drawn out process. There probably won't be a lot of applicants for the job, so sorting through the resumes and interviews shouldn't take that long.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

trojandave wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:58 am Hoopster98: I just want the best candidate for the job, whether that be Jeff or someone else. Whoever it is, they have a lot of work to do to get this program back on the winning side of the ledger. I hope that the hiring isn't going to be a long drawn out process. There probably won't be a lot of applicants for the job, so sorting through the resumes and interviews shouldn't take that long.
Coach Lisath would be an outstanding candidate at any school ... when Coach Lisath left Piketon in 2013 - he had established himself as one of the best coaches/teachers of the game in all of Southern/Southeast Ohio ... would be good seeing Coach Lisath courtside again Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line for sure! ... but I'm with you trojandave - lots of work to be done to get the PHS program moving forward again ... as I posted in the thread announcing Coach Collins stepping down - I truly hope that Coach Collins is involved with the youth in the Portsmouth area in some capacity - IF Coach Lisath is involved in anyway with the PHS basketball program - Coach Collins will be involved as well somewhere in the program imo ... I wish the PHS powers that be the best in choosing a Head Coach to move the program ahead - as SEO hoops is so much better when the Trojans are a part of the conversation ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Here is a rundown on who returns for PHS basketball in 2023-24:

Varsity: 22-23 Record 9-14

Devon Lattimore 6-0 SR......averaged close to 17 PPG; high game of 35; hard to stop driving to the basket; can be very good on ball defender
DeAndre Berry 6-1 SR.........averaged around 17 PPG; good all around on offense; good rebounder for his size; needs better conditioning
Donavan Breech 6-3 SR.......came on to start middle of the year; good 3 point shot; needs to add a dribble drive to his game; best hops in program
Isaiah Lewis 5-9 SR............subbed at PG; probably best on ball defender in program; plays hard every play
LeVaughn Cobb 5-11 SR......played several positions; can hit the 3 ball; good defender
Noah Livingston 6-2 SR.......good rebounder; doesn't make a lot of mistakes; team first player; will be asked to score more next season
Luke Stine 6-4 JR.............has shown ability to block shots and rebound; just needs more playing time to develop; will be asked to score more

The Trojan varsity's main weakness was being too slacking on defense; showed the ability at times to lockdown but just not consistent. Offensively averaged close to 65 PPG. Had trouble at the end in close games getting a key stop or basket. FT's (16-30) cost PHS the South Point tourney game.

Up From the JV team: (most will play some JV ball again)*indicates dressed varsity.......JV record 1-18; team ended up with only 7 players

*Olynshay McKinley 6-4 SO...improved the most of any JV player over the season; can score in the paint; can block shots and rebound
*Jayden Brewer 6-0 JR.......also improved, especially with scoring and hustle; could make varsity rotation
*Landon Malone 5-6 SO.......very good spot up shooter; plays team first; good quickness
Dontavion Parker 5-8 SO.....uber athletic; has shown ability to get to the basket on offense; can defend
Leelind Scurlock 5-9 SO......best 3 ball on the JV team; good quickness; hustles
Tyshone Henderson 5-6 SO..didn't see enough of him to form a solid opinion
John Carter 5-9 SO...........didn't see enough of him to form a solid opinion

The JV squad's most glaring weakness was their dribbling and passing. Ton of turnovers. Must improve that dramatically for any to make varsity minutes. One positive about this team is that all listed were freshmen playing up on the JV level, so they gained some good experience for next season.

Junior High......record 0-15

Probably the 5 best players are Jay Lofton, Jayden Harrington, Fernando Poxes, JJ Henderson, and Tyson Craft. Overall the team has a lot to work on. Lofton is a pretty good ballhandler with the ability to drive to the basket, while Harrington made four 3 balls vs. Notre Dame. Poxes showed a lot of hustle at both ends, as did Tyson Craft, while Henderson showed a decent outside shot. All these kids will move up to JV squad unless there will be a freshmen team, so the JV numbers should be good next season.

The 23-24 varsity Trojans will have some size on the roster, with 6-4 Stine, 6-4 McKinley, 6-3 Breech, and 6-2 Livingston. PHS hasn't had that much size on the roster in quite a few years, so I hope the new coach utilizes it.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

trojandave wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:35 pm Here is a rundown on who returns for PHS basketball in 2023-24:

Varsity: 22-23 Record 9-14

Devon Lattimore 6-0 SR......averaged close to 17 PPG; high game of 35; hard to stop driving to the basket; can be very good on ball defender
DeAndre Berry 6-1 SR.........averaged around 17 PPG; good all around on offense; good rebounder for his size; needs better conditioning
Donavan Breech 6-3 SR.......came on to start middle of the year; good 3 point shot; needs to add a dribble drive to his game; best hops in program
Isaiah Lewis 5-9 SR............subbed at PG; probably best on ball defender in program; plays hard every play
LeVaughn Cobb 5-11 SR......played several positions; can hit the 3 ball; good defender
Noah Livingston 6-2 SR.......good rebounder; doesn't make a lot of mistakes; team first player; will be asked to score more next season
Luke Stine 6-4 JR.............has shown ability to block shots and rebound; just needs more playing time to develop; will be asked to score more

The Trojan varsity's main weakness was being too slacking on defense; showed the ability at times to lockdown but just not consistent. Offensively averaged close to 65 PPG. Had trouble at the end in close games getting a key stop or basket. FT's (16-30) cost PHS the South Point tourney game.

Up From the JV team: (most will play some JV ball again)*indicates dressed varsity.......JV record 1-18; team ended up with only 7 players

*Olynshay McKinley 6-4 SO...improved the most of any JV player over the season; can score in the paint; can block shots and rebound
*Jayden Brewer 6-0 JR.......also improved, especially with scoring and hustle; could make varsity rotation
*Landon Malone 5-6 SO.......very good spot up shooter; plays team first; good quickness
Dontavion Parker 5-8 SO.....uber athletic; has shown ability to get to the basket on offense; can defend
Leelind Scurlock 5-9 SO......best 3 ball on the JV team; good quickness; hustles
Tyshone Henderson 5-6 SO..didn't see enough of him to form a solid opinion
John Carter 5-9 SO...........didn't see enough of him to form a solid opinion

The JV squad's most glaring weakness was their dribbling and passing. Ton of turnovers. Must improve that dramatically for any to make varsity minutes. One positive about this team is that all listed were freshmen playing up on the JV level, so they gained some good experience for next season.

Junior High......record 0-15

Probably the 5 best players are Jay Lofton, Jayden Harrington, Fernando Poxes, JJ Henderson, and Tyson Craft. Overall the team has a lot to work on. Lofton is a pretty good ballhandler with the ability to drive to the basket, while Harrington made four 3 balls vs. Notre Dame. Poxes showed a lot of hustle at both ends, as did Tyson Craft, while Henderson showed a decent outside shot. All these kids will move up to JV squad unless there will be a freshmen team, so the JV numbers should be good next season.

The 23-24 varsity Trojans will have some size on the roster, with 6-4 Stine, 6-4 McKinley, 6-3 Breech, and 6-2 Livingston. PHS hasn't had that much size on the roster in quite a few years, so I hope the new coach utilizes it.
The other McKinley kid leave the team for good?

SWJeeps22
Freshman Team

Post by SWJeeps22 »

Who are the targets? I would assume Jeff Lisath is/was the first and probably multiple phone calls, but who else sticks out as possible interested coaches?

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I had that same question but got nothing. I do thing Jeff wants the job but can't due to what he has going on in Dayton. I don't see any coaches on the current staff that would be a candidate. The admin and fans need to understand that after next year it will be a some long years and being in the OVC doesn't help either for a rebuild. I would like to see some energy on the sideline and a coach that the kids will play hard for.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I second that no one currently on sidelines is qualified to take over Portsmouth. Seems if Portsmouth wants to even try to get back some of there illustrate past, they need to go after and
Hire a
Expierence qualified person. Get the
Kids excited again and proud to say they're a
Trojan. really look how close Portsmouth was to being in regional tournament.Took South Point to OT. North Adam's lost
By 2. Had Minford on the ropes at
Halftime. Portsmouth has the
Athletes.

BuckeyeBlood
All Conference

Post by BuckeyeBlood »

Why do some of you feel like the very few Portsmouth posters on here have some inside info on the new coach? Trojan Dave is the person who is most in the know of all the posters from Portsmouth. He’s said what he’s said already. I’m sure when he knows more he will post it. This man lives and breathes Portsmouth athletics, he’s awesome. So I’d trust what he has to say about the program. I actually can only name about 4 other Portsmouth posters on here that clearly also don’t have any inside info. Lol

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

BuckeyeBlood wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:50 pm Why do some of you feel like the very few Portsmouth posters on here have some inside info on the new coach? Trojan Dave is the person who is most in the know of all the posters from Portsmouth. He’s said what he’s said already. I’m sure when he knows more he will post it. This man lives and breathes Portsmouth athletics, he’s awesome. So I’d trust what he has to say about the program. I actually can only name about 4 other Portsmouth posters on here that clearly also don’t have any inside info. Lol

I’m not wanting any inside info. I’m just asking a question if Jeff doesn’t want the job, what other coaches out there would the Trojan faithful like to see apply.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

If Portsmouth stays in house " my guess is they will" unless Jeff Lisath takes the job ,I would "think" the two front runners would be Aron Smith and Tanner Dutey , both are and have been very involved in Trojan basketball.

Both very passionate and have the knowledge for the job

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

Ouch! In that case I hope they go outside. Portsmouth doesn’t really go outside of house much. I just don’t see anyone on the current staff ready to take the position. Len would be more ready than Smith and Dutey. Isn’t Dutey the JR High Coach and it seems like Jhigh and the JV has struggled lately.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

BuckeyeBlood: Norris McKinley left the team about the middle of the season.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Jeff Lisath's name continues to gather momentum. Won't go into any details, and nothing has been finalized.

BigLeagueChew
Waterboy

Post by BigLeagueChew »

The storybook ending would be Jeff Lisath coming home.

Hoopster98
Freshman Team

Post by Hoopster98 »

I’m hoping Jeff wants it

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Let's hope Lisath really considers this job . By the sound of it from above posts, things will be bleak for the Trojans. So does coaching teams that can barely win a game qualify to be a Head Coach , especially at Portsmouth. Wow, trojandave hopefully Jeff Lisath will think hard about returning to Portsmouth. Am I correct to think years ago another legend came back to Portsmouth from Dayton. Mike Haley!

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

I traveled back to Portsmouth to watchDayton Dunbar led by Coach Haley play the Trojans. I m thinking it was one of best high school games I ever watched. I believe the Trojans won that game a thriller to the end. High end caliber of talent on both sides packed house atmosphere was electric. I'll never forget that game in Portsmouth.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Portsmouth's talent over the years was like playing a college team, athletes , height talent speed. Depth great coaching. Packed gyms, full court presses the whole game, clutch players, whole bench could shoot and play with the starters, intimidation like atomsphere in gym. Portsmouth was a dynasty for over 20 some years .Div 2 then Div 3. Didn't matter Portsmouth could play with anyone , whatever Division.

4verts
Waterboy

Post by 4verts »

Lisath returning home would be huge for the trojans program. I believe there was also a player either in the 8th grade or freshman class that would help their program as well. I'm not sure his reason for not playing this year. If the new coach can get him to play, he would make the job a little easier.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Jeff Lisath would be an absolute homerun hire for Portsmouth and the admin at Portsmouth needs to do whatever they have to to make that happen.

Next year they will be solid but the town and admin has to understand the rebuild that is at place. Can Jeff get the most out of what he has? ABSOLUTELY. But Junior high and JV combined won 1 game….. and there’s a boatload of talent in the OVC… Jeffs the perfect match, but people would need to be patient with him.

Watching SE Ohio basketball

Return to “Boys Basketball”