D2 District/Regional

ADM7
Waterboy

D2 District/Regional

Post by ADM7 »

Word is that the East District has more D2 teams this year and will get 2 qualifiers to Athens Regional. I have also heard grumblings of 2 SouthEast teams also qualifying to Regionals and thus the Regional consisting of 2 East champs and 2 SouthEast champs. Anyone else heard this? Know when something definitive would be announced and posted online?

vcgrad
All Conference

Re: D2 District/Regional

Post by vcgrad »

Nope

ADM7
Waterboy

Post by ADM7 »

No to SE getting two teams? East District has more teams this year so they would certainly get the 2 teams to Regional. That is a certainty. I just heard the Columbus district would not go to Athens and SE would also get 2 to Regional based on the number of teams in the District.

EdChambers
Waterboy

Post by EdChambers »

D2:

Central 22 teams (2 to regional)
East 21 teams (2 to regional)
Northeast 60 teams (5 to regional)
Northwest 35 teams (3 to regional)
Southeast 20 teams (1 to regional)
Southwest 43 teams (3 to regional)

SE lost out on rounding.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

D2 in the Southeast should be very interesting this year. Who returns the most this season?

Go Blue
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Whs95fan wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:30 pm D2 in the Southeast should be very interesting this year. Who returns the most this season?
Everybody but Waverly. Warren seems to be getting some preseason buzz though.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Omega wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:57 pm
Whs95fan wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:30 pm D2 in the Southeast should be very interesting this year. Who returns the most this season?
Everybody but Waverly. Warren seems to be getting some preseason buzz though.
They'll get better as the season progresses but won't be the favorite. Who does Sheridan return, Jackson?

Go Blue
ADM7
Waterboy

Post by ADM7 »

I did not realize that about the Central/SE, EdChambers. Thank you for the data. I have been waiting to see official word but did not see anything definitive yet.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

This year will be extremely open and competitive in D2

I’m honestly not even sure who is going to be really good. I’m sure Sheridan, Warren and Miami Trace will be solid. Washington should be good, but not as good as last year. Alexander have D’Augustino could be dangerous.

THEConvoK9
Waterboy

Post by THEConvoK9 »

I see a log jam in the East D2, after New Philly and Tri Valley, there's a lot of solid basketball teams 3-14 or so.

Bucketz
Waterboy

Post by Bucketz »

Maysville may be the best team in the East.

THEConvoK9
Waterboy

Post by THEConvoK9 »

Bucketz wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:11 am Maysville may be the best team in the East.
Yes you're right, forgot about the Panthers...very good team.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

What all does Maysville have returning? I know New Philly started at least a few sophomores last year when we played them.

Go Blue
Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Is the Convo going to host this year or are they moving games to High schools again?? I was told last year that reps from OU didnt want to be involved any more with scheduling conflicts and other items. Any truth to this or knowledge?

Live Like A Champion!
muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Whs95fan wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:28 pm What all does Maysville have returning? I know New Philly started at least a few sophomores last year when we played them.
Maysville returns everyone who played valuable minutes last year including Big School POTY in Jarrett, plus Bobb improved a ton heading into last year. Both are threats to get 20 every night and are surrounded with solid role players. Dave Brown is a great coach who will get the most out of his guys.

New Philly returns best two players in Vandall (4 year starter) and Vickers (6’5 PG who’s a 3 year starter) plus Slaughter who is a junior and can shoot the lights out. New coach at NP as well.

muskiefan11
JV Team

Post by muskiefan11 »

Here is what I know of some teams in the East:
TV won’t be as good as the last few years but still has talent and size. Erik Neal, Aaron Freuh(Sr) and Max Lyall (Soph) will be their go to guys/key returnees. McLoughlin is another solid coach who gets the most out of his guys.

JG has a MVL/District POTY candidate in Nathan Walker (Sr) but won’t have much help. They will go as far as he can take them.

Morgan returns to D2 and will be decent

River View will have the best team they have had in a longtime. Have two very good senior scorers in Owen Emig and Brody Border.

Philo has a new coach, I have to assume they’re going to be improved.

Meadowbrook will not be very good.

Don’t know much about Cambridge or Zanesville other than it’s year two for both of their coaches.

2quick2catch
Freshman Team

Post by 2quick2catch »

muskiefan11 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:53 pm Here is what I know of some teams in the East:
TV won’t be as good as the last few years but still has talent and size. Erik Neal, Aaron Freuh(Sr) and Max Lyall (Soph) will be their go to guys/key returnees. McLoughlin is another solid coach who gets the most out of his guys.

JG has a MVL/District POTY candidate in Nathan Walker (Sr) but won’t have much help. They will go as far as he can take them.

Morgan returns to D2 and will be decent

River View will have the best team they have had in a longtime. Have two very good senior scorers in Owen Emig and Brody Border.

Philo has a new coach, I have to assume they’re going to be improved.

Meadowbrook will not be very good.

Don’t know much about Cambridge or Zanesville other than it’s year two for both of their coaches.
Zanesville will always be a threat when they are D2, I saw JG and Cambridge play over the summer at the Huggins camp and it was a very close game, didn't see who pulled it out because Burg was playing on the other end so I lost focus, but both teams looked athletic with good guard play to me.

Bucketz
Waterboy

Post by Bucketz »

Liverpool, Steubenville, Carrollton, will be tough tournament outs. Indian Valley is expecting big things, but they play primarily D3 schools in their league (which are very good teams). First round tourney games will be intriguing this year.

ADM7
Waterboy

Post by ADM7 »

Minerva (4-4) has been a pleasant surprise with a newcomer leading them in Gonzales, and Maysville is playing really well. Steubenville had a short time to acclimate from football and it has showed early, but they will improve quickly as they lose their football legs. Carrollton (7-2) @ E Liverpool (6-1) was a close game at half but Potters pulled away in second half as Warriors played without top their two scorers in Rinkes and Mallarnee (only losses are w/o them). Those are two teams that could make a lot of noise in the two district format this season. New Philadelphia plays a tough schedule but have had issues scoring and implementing a new system with a new coach. Im sure Vandall and Vickers will have it figured out soon though.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Thanks for the East district update, don't get the opportunity to see a lot of those teams until postseason play.

Go Blue

Return to “Boys Basketball”