Portsmouth East
Portsmouth Clay
Crooksville
West Union

Whs95fan
S

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

Post by Whs95fan »

Always good to see the elite 8 come out because that means basketball is just right around the corner with most schools being in full on bball mode in the next few weeks and those who already are after Friday. I feel like most schools lost a ton of experience especially in D2 so I wouldn't be surprised to see this list fluctuate throughout the first month or two. Excited to get the season underway.

Go Blue
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Whs95fan wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:37 pm Always good to see the elite 8 come out because that means basketball is just right around the corner with most schools being in full on bball mode in the next few weeks and those who already are after Friday. I feel like most schools lost a ton of experience especially in D2 so I wouldn't be surprised to see this list fluctuate throughout the first month or two. Excited to get the season underway.
... absolutely Whs95fan - the first 2 weeks will be full of "ups and downs" as we figure out the transfers, who decided to focus on another sport besides basketball and aren't playing this season ... the Pre-season Elite 8 are ALWAYS just a "tipping off" point for teams to move up and down based on what talent/experience they have returning ... I ALWAYS hope that the teams I have ranked in the bottom 1/3 have a new class of athletes that will make their impact on the programs who have been "down" of late ... one thing we have found is that the quality coaches who have developed the quality PROGRAMS in SE Ohio will put a quality product on the court year in year out ... players, names change but the quality programs can be counted on to be "quality teams" ...

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly traveling to Upper Arlington out of the gate. What a way to start the season for the young Tigers.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Pfloyd........so glad to hear from you. I hope that you are correct about my boys from FU and I hope to see you along the way. Come to FU some night. Should be some big games to choose from.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

smurray wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:53 pm Waverly traveling to Upper Arlington out of the gate. What a way to start the season for the young Tigers.
... Ouch!, youngin's will get a feel for big boy hoops right out of the blocks ... The Tigers WILL be a team that improves big time as the season progresses ... need to find the scorers in the offense ... going to have to rely on the defense to help create offense for awhile - that goal of holding opponents to under 50 per game will be key ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Smeltzy wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:11 pm Pfloyd........so glad to hear from you. I hope that you are correct about my boys from FU and I hope to see you along the way. Come to FU some night. Should be some big games to choose from.
... Smeltzy! - good to be back for another season of hoops Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line! - you'll absolutely see pfloyd in the cheap seats to get eyes on FU this season with your Falcons in the top 3 of the Preseason rankings ... lots of experience and talent returning for Coach Shaeffer - good size with Caleb Schmelzer (6-6+) , Ted Harrah (6-5), Caleb Redding (6-4+) with both Schmelzer and Redding being just juniors they for sure grew more over the summer , an experienced PG in Rowles , a whole lot of upside ... the entire starting lineup returns! it should be an excellent campaign for FU ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

#10 out of the gate, the new look Jeeps should be the front runner in D4 this year with Valley out of the way

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Burg 49 and Chillicothe 50….no way.

Whiteoak 52? They return 4 starters

I’ll guess South Webster higher.

Fairland #1? Interesting.

Will be a fun year…..these will change a ton for sure the first few weeks and the scrimmage season will give us some better ideas of who is where.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

My favorite time of the year. My favorite sport and one of my all time favorite posters getting us started. Life is great. So happy to see the list and so happy we have pfloyd around for another year. The head coach has blessed us. Will be an interesting year. Definitely different for me. Coming off of watching my two team the wavers tigers and the western Indians make runs at state last year, this year will certainly have a different feel! Waverly will de way down, but interested to see what the foreign exchange student can do to keep western at the top of division 4. With Carter, Haggy, and janes returning plus the new kid they will be better than people think. Always a fun time and can’t wait to see many of you in the gyms across southern Ohio. Even mlittle!

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Well as a Dragon I love seeing them sitting at #1 but unfortunately , I just dont see it happening . Im even thinking their run of OVC championships ends this year . Im not sure of how many players they have coming back but I think they just lost to much . I sure do hope Im wrong though . I believe Portsmouth takes the OVC this seaosn.

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

84Dragon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:24 pm Well as a Dragon I love seeing them sitting at #1 but unfortunately , I just dont see it happening . Im even thinking their run of OVC championships ends this year . Im not sure of how many players they have coming back but I think they just lost to much . I sure do hope Im wrong though . I believe Portsmouth takes the OVC this seaosn.
They return everyone but Aiden Porter. 4 starters and the first 3-4 off the bench. They play a very difficult schedule, but they are definitely up to the task. If you recall, everyone said they’d fall off last year too. The OVC is likely one of the stronger conferences this coming season. It will be a brutal schedule for all the teams.

FACSPORTS
JV Team

Post by FACSPORTS »

Paint Valley and Washington both have had transfers that should help their teams this season. PV obviously with 2025 Braylon Robertson and I found out a couple days ago that WCH had 2023 Michael Bearden from Madison Plains transfer in this summer.
I was able to watch Bearden last year against Greenon, they lost by two I believe and he had 35 points, probably close to 10 steals and then about a dozen rebounds. Super athletic and extremely aggressive at both ends of the floor. He is a very solid pickup for the Blue Lions and will make an impact in the FAC, trust me. Probably about 6'1"-6'2". Assuming he and 2024 John Wall will be the backcourt for WCH.

84Dragon
JV Team

Post by 84Dragon »

Dragonguy13 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:18 pm
84Dragon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:24 pm Well as a Dragon I love seeing them sitting at #1 but unfortunately , I just dont see it happening . Im even thinking their run of OVC championships ends this year . Im not sure of how many players they have coming back but I think they just lost to much . I sure do hope Im wrong though . I believe Portsmouth takes the OVC this seaosn.
They return everyone but Aiden Porter. 4 starters and the first 3-4 off the bench. They play a very difficult schedule, but they are definitely up to the task. If you recall, everyone said they’d fall off last year too. The OVC is likely one of the stronger conferences this coming season. It will be a brutal schedule for all the teams.
Yep , going to be real hard to replace the all time leading scorer at the school . I hope the win it , keeping my fingers crossed they can pull it off . They arent going to have much size , thats going to bite em in a few games .

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

84Dragon wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:37 pm
Dragonguy13 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:18 pm
Yep , going to be real hard to replace the all time leading scorer at the school . I hope the win it , keeping my fingers crossed they can pull it off . They arent going to have much size , thats going to bite em in a few games .
You cannot replace AP. He was absolutely one of a kind. I was just pointing out what they had coming back.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... No one replaces Aiden Porter BUT AP passed along a lot of skills/attitude/"IT" to this years Dragons ... last season when AP went down, out for multiple games - the "leftover" Dragons picked up the slack, played outstanding as a TEAM ... size IS an issue, but again the tale of the tape doesn't tell the entire story ...

JD Thacker 6-3 sr
Zion Martin 5-11 sr
Will Davis 6-1 jr ... outstanding in the paint AND on the perimeter, might be the quickest hands in SEO
Chase Allen jr/Brody Buchanan soph ... both are deadly from behind the arc
Steeler Leep sr - for his size under 6-0 tall - timing/position/hardnosed in the paint attitude - gets boards
Brycen Hunt 6-1 jr
add 6-3 Noah Marcum jr

... talent top to bottom, no offensive questions imo - they ARE a TEAM top to bottom at both ends of the floor ... AP did his job in passing on the tradition that IS Fairland Basketball ... every player I listed got valuable varsity experience last year and in the post season - heck the triple OT vs Alexander saw AP being AP to take the game to OT before he fouled out ... Brody Buchanan OFF the bench with a 3 ball to tie it OT, Chase Allen a triple in the 2nd OT and FT''s from Allen & Buchanan to get to the 3rd OT ... JD Thacker with 2 key buckets in the paint for the W ... showed me THIS season's Dragon TEAM without AP LAST season with the post season on the line ... I like these Dragons ... THIS Dragon TEAM ...

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:05 pm Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason

1. Fairland
2. Zane Trace
3. Fairfield Union
4. Minford
5. Lucasville Valley
6. Logan Elm
7. Miami Trace
8. Sheridan

... TreeHugger Wannabees ...

Washington Court House
South Webster
Alexander
North Adams
Warren Local
Gallia Academy
Westfall
Vinton County
New Lexington
Unioto
Ironton
Paint Valley
Portsmouth
Peebles
Eastern Brown
Western Pike
Adena
Jackson
Green
Portsmouth Notre Dame
Northwest
Meigs
Greenfield McClain
Federal Hocking
South Point
Chesapeake
Trimble
Waverly
Hillsboro
Waterford
Fairfield Leesburg
Portsmouth West
Ironton St. Joseph
New Boston
Southeastern
Oak Hill
Coal Grove
Rock Hill
Wellston
Piketon
Wheelerburg
Chillicothe
Logan
Whiteoak
Symmes Valley
Circleville
Huntington
Eastern Pike
Lynchburg Clay
Athens
Marietta
South Gallia
Nelsonville York
Southern
Belpre
River Valley
Manchester
Miller
Eastern Reedsville
Portsmouth East
Portsmouth Clay
Crooksville
West Union
If possible can someone provide some detail re: the prospects for:
-- Warren, Gallia Academy, Vinton County, Federal Hocking, Trimble, Athens, Marietta

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Fairfield Union for Coach Shaeffer should be outstanding this season! as the Falcons bring back size and talent from last season's varsity squad ...

Brennen Rowles - 2 year PG starter entering his senior season
Ted Harrah - 2 yr starter in the paint at 6-5
Caleb Redding 6-4 jr
Caleb Schmelzer 6-6 jr both Calebs with length to go with the size
Ronnie Rowley ... will add 3 point scoring which Rowles will need to chip in as well to ...
Isaac Schmelzer a 6-0 sr will give minutes off the bench for the Falcons

... a lot to like from FU out of the Mid State League this season

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Lucasville Valley has a lot of talent returning losing Stuart/Merritt to graduation but probably more importantly they might have lost a whole lot more - their MO on offense - the ability to push the ball, get ALL 5 players out in transition - Bryce Stuart many times started and finished in the transition game - 5 on 2 or 3 ... this season Levi Stewart will be THE "man in the middle" on the boards the 6-8 big man will be a force on the boards yet running the floor for long stretches are not in the cards of the senior post man ... will the Indians change their style of play? or will 4 on 2/3 in transition be enough ...

George Arnett sr
Hunter Edwards sr
Colt Buckle sr PG
Jace Copley 6-2 jr

... all returns with varsity experience for the Indians ... definitely a player as a TEAM in Southern Ohio, the Elite 8 but the Indians will need to get it done in D3 this year instead of D4 ... looking forward to see how the Indian MO plays out this season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

The Minford Falcons of Coach Shoemaker ... not sure there have been too many times that a team that finished #3 in my final rankings from last season, loses a 16-20 ppg player in Trenton Zimmerman yet the TEAM hangs tough opening at #4 to start the 2022-23 campaign ... MHS is led by who might be THE best player in SEO in sophomore Myles Montgomery , fellow starters Adam Crank, 6-6 Joe Hanna, 6-3 Devin Parker, off the bench with more size in 6-5 Luke Oakes ... add one of the best group of youngsters in Southern/SouthEast Ohio - these talented players will see the floor with varsity action this season as well: Jackson Shoemaker, Bennett Kayser, Jeffery Rica ... Minford has the players to pickup where they left off last season- lots of reasons to point the Pfloyd Jeep toward Southern Ohio and Scioto county this season ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”