Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason 22-23

Post by bbjunky81 »

Speaking of Gallia, I think they’ll definitely be a top 10 team. Lots of returning pieces and the kid from River Valley will help them a lot. I look for them to finally win the OVC this season, but South Point, Fairland, and possibly Ironton COULD knock them off on the right night.

OVC and SOC2 both will be very competitive this year. Could definitely see the 4th-6th place teams in the league jump up and “upset” the top 1-3. Wouldn’t shock me one bit.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Watched VC at Paint Valley tonight

PV really only played 6, but those 6 are all strong. Dax Estep should have a huge year, he’ll be a load to deal with in D4

The Bearcats won 3 of the 4 quarters I saw, with neither team shooting the ball well. PV is going to be a bear to play against due to their athleticism, but will need to get better ball handling.

Should be a good year for the Bearcats

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

Post by soggybottomtopper »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:47 pm Watched VC at Paint Valley tonight

PV really only played 6, but those 6 are all strong. Dax Estep should have a huge year, he’ll be a load to deal with in D4

The Bearcats won 3 of the 4 quarters I saw, with neither team shooting the ball well. PV is going to be a bear to play against due to their athleticism, but will need to get better ball handling.

Is the Miller kid back healthy? Appreciate the post.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

soggybottomtopper wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 pm
danicalifornia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:47 pm Watched VC at Paint Valley tonight

Looked good tonight physically.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Paint Valley definitely has the athletes to make some real noise in D4.

Who is the basketball coach there now?

Watching SE Ohio basketball
soggybottomtopper
JV Team

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:23 pm
soggybottomtopper wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:11 pm

Looked good tonight physically.
Great to hear. Appreciate it.

soggybottomtopper
JV Team

bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:06 am Paint Valley definitely has the athletes to make some real noise in D4.

Who is the basketball coach there now?
Jason Smith is in his second season with the Bearcats

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Just finished watching the Fairfield Union @ Warren scrimmage from last night - 2 very good basketball teams that will keep getting better and better ... I didn't get a score of the quarters but looked like Warren might have had the upper hand on the score but don't hold me to it LOL ... I was watching the physicality of the defense from both teams - both play the way I like it hardnosed, keep you from getting to the spot on the floor you want to get to ... Warren played again without the services of the big man - Trent Taylor ... Lupardus on the inside is strong just a sophomore - strong lower body makes him tough to move at either end of the floor - he WILL look even better when Taylor at 6-5 gets back on the court ... my concern has been shooters on the perimeter - the youngsters are growing up fast, usually youngsters hesitate especially sophs playing varsity - Cornell at point guard follows in the mold of Dennis Pettey - not as big BUT strong with the ball, runs the show well AND he is showing no hesitation in shooting/scoring from the perimeter ... Stadelman - good handles, scores on the perimeter (that we knew) - he's making himself that much better by now taking the ball to the rim ... the other youngsters are showing excellent defense, still need to learn that varsity opposition IS big, faster, stronger, throw in quicker into the passing lanes as well BUT overall THIS TEAM is good now and going to be better in a hurry ... I've watched the progress made each outing - vs Fed Hock, vs Marietta and now vs an Elite 8 squad in Fairfield Union ... Warren even with ALL of the team being youngsters - are outstanding, so well coached - they are BETTER than the #13 on the Preseason Ranking ...

FU - well coached, they DO deserve the Elite 8 ranking ... they TOO will keep getting better as the season progresses ... they play the same physical D as Warren ... lots of length across the board, experienced PG in Rowles - strong with the ball, runs the show as if he's been doing it for 3 years - he has ... always good to have the entire starting lineup back ... nothing NOT to like in this FU ballclub ...

... 2 really, really good TEAMS in FU and WHS ... going to be fun to watch them both early on this season ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:08 am Burg 49 and Chillicothe 50….no way.

Whiteoak 52? They return 4 starters

I’ll guess South Webster higher.

Fairland #1? Interesting.

Will be a fun year…..these will change a ton for sure the first few weeks and the scrimmage season will give us some better ideas of who is where.
... just watched the Whiteoak vs South Webster scrimmage - Whiteoak is definitely better than #52 - a nice ballclub with quickness, good length, lots of athletes , perimeter shooters, and player who can get to the rim ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... gotta love the "digital age" ... without having to drive all over Southern/SEOhio in the "pre" season ... the committee of one - me , has gotten to see full scrimmages for :

Western
Valley
Federal Hocking
Notre Dame
Alexander
Marietta
Eastern Pike
Huntington Ross
Clay
Wheelersburg
Eastern Brown
Lynchburg Clay
South Webster
Ironton St. Joseph
Green
Piketon
Huntington
Washington CH
Fairfield Leesburg
Fairfield Union
Warren
Logan
Vinton County
Whiteoak
Chesapeake

... just finished watching the OVC Preview ... Fairland, Rock Hill, Coal Grove, Ironton, Portsmouth, South Point, ISJ , Gallia Academy ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I watched the Warren vs Alexander/Zane Trace scrimmage today ... a good test for all 3 teams ... Alexander is going to go as far as Kyler D'Augustino will take them - they as a TEAM are very scrappy, everyone seems to accept their roles, looked like at least one player was sidelined with a injury ... AHS controls tempo ... slows it down, gets the ball into KD's hands ... D'Augustino is simply "a player" one of the best in SEO ... inside, outside he will find and get his shot ... in the 2 qtrs I kept a score tally ZT and Alex split 12-11 Alex , then ZT 9-4 ... Warren beat Alexander in all qtrs (varsity) , Warren took the ZT varsity in both qtrs they played 13-8 in the first ... leading the ZT varsity in the 2nd before subbing in JV's vs the ZT varsity ... Warren even without Taylor is a force down low with Lupardus, #30 has size, #12 both are getting lots of varsity experience vs bigger/stronger inside players - they are holding their own - their inside players will be around for 3 more years with Taylor (out the last 3 scrimmages with ankle injury) having this his junior year and senior year together ... Warren's weakness is shooting on the perimeter - might just be confidence in the shooting on the perimeter- I think they will be fine as the season goes along - Cornell, Stadelman, Taylor and couple of other youngsters WILL come along as the season plays out ... Defense is excellent NOW without Taylor, they will be that much better when he returns - that big man in the middle - Lupardus has done an excellent job inside, today vs the BIG/STRONG bigs of Zane Trace Lupardus/#30/#12 did an outstanding job imo ... ZT didn't show me a PG who runs the show in this group ... they struggled in the slow, methodical tempo that Alexander presented them ... didn't have anyone who could push the ball or penetrate & dish to the bigs ... I'm used to a ZT PG who sets the defense, runs the offense while being an offensive threat ... as I said it was a good matchup all around today with all teams ... Alexander just doesn't matchup well with Warren - Warren is the more complete team that finds the weakness in the opposition - D'Augustino was forced to give up the ball by WHS, Warren didn't accept the slowdown tempo, pushed the ball with Stadelman/Cornell ... Stadelman can finish around the rim/ has shown the perimeter shot I know he has - AND ISN'T AFRAID to shoot it ... Warren will be able to play A LOT of pieces albeit young pieces ...there are some good years to come for WHS - starting with this year imo ... Warren looked as good as Fairfield Union yesterday and Zane Trace today - both teams are in the Elite 8 Preseason edition ... and this was without 6-5 Trent Taylor seeing the floor ...

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Always appreciate your write-ups Pfloyd! I totally agree about the younger kids getting a lot of experience, I think we could see the Warriors go 8-10 deep trying to figure out their lineup and continuing on throughout the year. The kids will hopefully grow into their rolls throughout the year and maybe Stadelman will be able to find a more consistent shot. Excited to get the season kicked off in less than 7 days.

Go Blue
Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Whs95fan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pm Always appreciate your write-ups Pfloyd! I totally agree about the younger kids getting a lot of experience, I think we could see the Warriors go 8-10 deep trying to figure out their lineup and continuing on throughout the year. The kids will hopefully grow into their rolls throughout the year and maybe Stadelman will be able to find a more consistent shot. Excited to get the season kicked off in less than 7 days.
It sounds like Warren may be as good as last season...didn't expect that but maybe so. Reloading not rebuilding. Who are the teams on their schedule who can be expected to compete against them or beat them?

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Gallia plays Warren,20th Washington CH 22nd,and Fairfield Union 28 in December mid should have some answers after them in a row 🤔

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:05 am
Whs95fan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:45 pm Always appreciate your write-ups Pfloyd! I totally agree about the younger kids getting a lot of experience, I think we could see the Warriors go 8-10 deep trying to figure out their lineup and continuing on throughout the year. The kids will hopefully grow into their rolls throughout the year and maybe Stadelman will be able to find a more consistent shot. Excited to get the season kicked off in less than 7 days.
It sounds like Warren may be as good as last season...didn't expect that but maybe so. Reloading not rebuilding. Who are the teams on their schedule who can be expected to compete against them or beat them?
... when I watch all of these scrimmages, there IS a difference between the TEAMS and the the PROGRAMS ... I can visually see the teams that have solid, consistent, coaching from the lower grades up through the ranks ... the "youngsters" as I've called them for Warren played JV last year as freshmen, as well as playing as the freshmen team when playing schools with freshmen teams ... I just - in my own little mind - see the fundamentals, the defensive toughness, physicality that this group brings to the table right now - which AGAIN in my little mind - has them ahead of the curve for sophomores who normally would be playing jv ball ... I'm visualizing Lupardus not having to play vs the oppositions BIG, being able to more than handle a forward from the opposition ... he hasn't scored like I see him scoring when Taylor returns but he has the tools to score! the good footwork, the strength, the ability to go to his left, rebounding position ... Taylor at 6-5 will draw a lot of attention which will allow Lupardus to be a finisher at the rim imo ... teams will have double down or up on Taylor who can shoot the 3 ball - THIS again will give looks to the perimeter folks for Warren ... are the Warriors "outstanding"? they're young! they do make youngster mistakes, they ARE finding their roles ... I think there are FEWER question marks about THIS Warren team than last seasons team ... as Whs95fan pointed out I too think THIS edition of the Warriors will be deeper than last seasons WHS squad ... more ballhandlers, young BIGS who WILL see the floor and help at both ends imo ... experience is a intangible that is hard to replace - but GETTING experience for freshmen/sophomores who are "players" - bodes well for THIS season come February/March ...bodes even more for this groups junior, senior years ... I see the young PG's, young BIGS - Warren will be just fine ... throw in the strength of the coaching staff to develop players at both ends of the floor AND teach/coach BIGS while teaching/coaching how to "feed" the bigs ... I'm smiling as I type ...

... my goal for December is to see ALL of my top 20 teams at least once ... the top 15 will get eyes on multiple times - I hope - if Mother Nature cooperates ...

WonderNova
Freshman Team

Post by WonderNova »

I was at the SHAC preview at Peebles High School Friday night. I will briefly mention Fayetteville and Ripley since they are still In the Southwest. Fayetteville is a big team and will make noise in D4. Ripley struggled mightily and might be in for a long year. Lynchburg-Clay had a nice showing against Ripley, but they will also be having a tough year. Fairfield was looking great, and has a new coaching staff. They will be in the hunt for the SHAC and districts. Eastern Brown beat the hosting Peebles Indians. Rob Beucler's Warriors lost 4 starters, and is in reload rebuild mode. They are tall! They will be a defensive/rebound style team this year, because they graduated 70% of their offense. Never count them out. More on the preview later...football calls😁

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

WonderNova wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:21 pm I was at the SHAC preview at Peebles High School Friday night. I will briefly mention Fayetteville and Ripley since they are still In the Southwest. Fayetteville is a big team and will make noise in D4. Ripley struggled mightily and might be in for a long year. Lynchburg-Clay had a nice showing against Ripley, but they will also be having a tough year. Fairfield was looking great, and has a new coaching staff. They will be in the hunt for the SHAC and districts. Eastern Brown beat the hosting Peebles Indians. Rob Beucler's Warriors lost 4 starters, and is in reload rebuild mode. They are tall! They will be a defensive/rebound style team this year, because they graduated 70% of their offense. Never count them out. More on the preview later...football calls😁
WonderNova ... I agree on the rebuild/defensive type year for EB - Coach Beucler is an outstanding teacher/coach of the game he will do a great job with bringing his group along this season ... I've seen Fairfield Leesburg a couple time on video in their scrimmages and then last night vs Western ... some nice pieces for sure - good size, strong, can shoot the ball from the perimeter and get to the rim ... the Lions will definitely make some noise in the SHAC ... I hope they are playing in the Dave Young Classic at North Adams in January as I hope to make that all day event again this season - would like to get "eyes on" the Fairfield Leesburg squad ...

Happy2bhere
Freshman Team

Post by Happy2bhere »

Leesburg isn't in Dave Young classic. However they are having a Chad Hodson classic on Feb 4.
12:45 - G- Blanchester vs Fairfield
2:30 - B- Adena vs Blanchester
4:15 - B- Lynchburg vs Piketon
6:00 - B- Whiteoak vs Lucasville Valley
7:45 - B- Fairfield vs Ironton St Joe

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Happy2bhere wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:11 pm Leesburg isn't in Dave Young classic. However they are having a Chad Hodson classic on Feb 4.
12:45 - G- Blanchester vs Fairfield
2:30 - B- Adena vs Blanchester
4:15 - B- Lynchburg vs Piketon
6:00 - B- Whiteoak vs Lucasville Valley
7:45 - B- Fairfield vs Ironton St Joe
... thanks Happy2bhere for the heads-up !

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... anyone have the roster for Miami Trace? what I found doesn't show either Fliehman or Guthrie on the roster for Trace ... true?

Return to “Boys Basketball”