1st Annual Clash at the Coliseum @ Warren - a Success!!!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

1st Annual Clash at the Coliseum @ Warren - a Success!!!

Post by pfloyd »

.. When the folks at Warren High School undertake "anything" it's "Go Big! or Go Home!!!" ... the first annual Clash at the Coliseum put on by the folks at WHS went BIG! - a 2 day event, using 2 gyms, varsity boys, varsity girls in the new building, JV boys & girls in the old Warrior Dome ... concessions, hospitality room, jumbotron for viewing games in the cafeteria/commons area ... big screen tv's showing both gyms/game action ... I'm tired just typing ALL that was organized/run by volunteers/coaches/coaches spouses/teaching staff/AD/principals ... from an outside observer who has been to MANY MANY Tip Off events, in-season tournaments/classics -the Clash at the Coliseum was a total success ... the attendance even with the OSU vs Michigan game in the middle of day 2 was outstanding !!! part of the success was the scheduling of participating teams who are local, who are Southern/SEO or local East District teams ... excellent matchups on the court , quality teams on both the boys and girls sides ... a big thank you to Fairland's Coach Speed, Portsmouth West's Coach McClanahan who traveled 2 hours to get to the event!!! as a fan it was great to see the Senators! a team that I never get to see in-person due to distance from Logan, Fairland I GO TO SEE a few times year on the river ... as a fan - I thank both of these coaches for bringing their teams to SEOhio !!!

... anytime you run an event such as this there WILL BE glitches ... back in September a scheduled school backed out of its' commitment to play in the Clash - Coach Cozart from Athens stepped up and filled the spot - when I talked to Coach prior to their game vs Warren , I thanked him for bringing his Bulldogs and filling in ... on the JV side one of the schools let the Warren folks know less than 24 hours before they were to play that they were backing out! Coach Maddox was on the phone for 2 hours trying to find a team, in the middle of running the show, getting his team ready, etc - was finally able to get one of the Parkersburg WVa schools to fill-in as a "scrimmage" for them ... it's hard enough putting together an event of this magnitude when everything is "perfect" - to throw a wrench into it - the folks from Warren handled it with class and made it work ...

... I have ALWAYS enjoyed these events ... anytime I can drive to ONE location , get eyes on 12 games in 2 days, see some of the top teams in Southern/Southeast Ohio going at it on both the girls and boys sides - PERFECT !!! ... when I attended the Beasts of the SouthEast put on by Chesapeake High School I enjoyed the hoops but also the people! when you attend these tipoff classics - the people are what stand out to me, those who run the show and those who attend ... when I traveled to Chesapeake it was like going to see "family" ! such good people, made me feel like I was at home ... the 2 days at Warren High School - the same ... great people who always make me feel like family when I travel to WHS ... I'm a people person! I may sit in the cheap seats, bury my face in my napkin stats during games BUT I love the people, the fans of the game ... met up with Whs95fan, Chase Allen's(Fairland HS) dad stopped up to introduce himself, I sat with the Caldwell family Friday for the Trimble vs Marietta game ... Coach Speed/Coach Fuller (Fairland), Coach Cozart (Athens), Coach Thompson & Coach Tolson (Fed Hocking), Coach Skinner (Alexander) the Warren staff ... Ticia Jarvis - mom of Collin Jarvis (an outstanding player for Fed Hock/now graduate) both Ticia and I share the fact we are both cancer survivors ... the great thing is I will see these folks throughout the season at different venues all over Southern/Southeast Ohio as they support family, school, community ...

... Well done Warren Warrior school community !!! looking forward to the 2nd Annual Clash at the Coliseum !!!
Last edited by pfloyd on Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whs95fan
S

Re: 1st Annual Clash at the Coliseum @ Warren - a Success!!!

Post by Whs95fan »

Always great to see you Pfloyd and talk hoops! Great synopsis of the weekend, and overall great event imo. I was impressed with how well organized "The Clash" was being in it's first year even with the cancellation problems. Looking forward to see what lineup they come up with for next year's event and the rest of the season to come.

Go Blue
jcbigblue13
Freshman Team

Post by jcbigblue13 »

It was a great but exhausting event!! We are already looking forward to next year's event and hoping to get things moving forward soon!! Still recovering from the 14 hour days but what a great time it was!!

caldwellbasketball
JV Team

Post by caldwellbasketball »

I take my teams to 2-3 of these types of events each year. I’ve not had a better experience. Very happy for my kids to have had the chance to play in this and do so against a very good Federal Hocking team!

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Great event! Was disappointed that my Warriors got Athens in this. Was nothing more than a scrimmage for the BBB. What has happened in Athens?

Pat
Varsity

Post by Pat »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm Great event! Was disappointed that my Warriors got Athens in this. Was nothing more than a scrimmage for the BBB. What has happened in Athens?
Athens was missing their two best players, or so the story goes 😳

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:43 pm Great event! Was disappointed that my Warriors got Athens in this. Was nothing more than a scrimmage for the BBB. What has happened in Athens?
Athens can’t beat Warren at Warren. Would cause a black hole

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Pat wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:02 pm
Maybe Athens can get a win at home Tuesday against Marietta? I think they're a little better than they showed at the Clash.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Curious as to who they were missing.

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Pol pot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:52 pm

Curious as to who they were missing.
93bulldog said it was football related so that might narrow it down some.

Go Blue
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:53 pm
Maybe Athens can get a win at home Tuesday against Marietta? I think they're a little better than they showed at the Clash.
Yeah, that didn't happen either. 0-3, going to be a long year for them puppies. Are they good at anything?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Athens has been mostly bad before and after Joe burrow in football and basketball. They should be better, but don’t know why ?

Return to “Boys Basketball”