New Head Coach:
Alex Prater

New Assistant Coaches:
Derek Lewis
Dirk Hollar
Jared Alley
Corey Cox
Rodney Holden

Really think this was a homerun for the Pirates. Prater is going to be a great leader and mentor for the boys. There is a ton of basketball IQ on the staff, Hollar has been a HC and was recently inducted in to SSU HoF for his playing career. Holden in Marshall's HoF. Alley and Cox young guys in their 20's who should be able to relate with the kids.

Varsity Roster:
Braylon Rucker
Kenyon Evans
Hunter Bivens
Landon McGraw
Logan Adkins
Xander Mowery
Sammy Doerr
Connor Estep
Jacob Shaw
Luke Swords
Nolan Wright
Jackson Schwamburger
Caleb Arthur
Kaden Johnson
Zavier Stanley

good mix of youth and upperclassmen. should be a fun season.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Burg Hoops 22-23

Post by bbjunky81 »

Hollar was inducted into SSU for his cross country career, not basketball.

However, I do agree that he is a very good coach and an excellent addition to the staff.

Burg will have plenty of size, there’s no denying that. How soon their young guards develop will dictate how much success the Pirates have this season.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Coach Alex Prater gets his first win tonight for Burg!!!

51-38 over Waverly!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:59 pm Coach Alex Prater gets his first win tonight for Burg!!!

51-38 over Waverly!!
Waverly still without their only returning starter who happens to be the only Senior, Hudson Kelly.
Tigers were lead by Junior Caden Nibert with 23 (1 triple and 12-14 from the line.
Waverly had it cut to 7 mid way through the 4th at 34-41.
Tigers were 2-8 from the line in the 4th.

Pirates were lead by Nolan Wright with 17 (4 triples).
Wheelersburg with 7 different scorers while the Tigers hit 4 in the scoring column.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

smurray wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:33 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:59 pm Coach Alex Prater gets his first win tonight for Burg!!!

51-38 over Waverly!!
Waverly still without their only returning starter who happens to be the only Senior, Hudson Kelly.
Tigers were lead by Junior Caden Nibert with 23 (1 triple and 12-14 from the line.

Wheelersburg with 7 different scorers while the Tigers hit 4 in the scoring column.
Honestly this game was quite surprising for me, thought Waverly looked a lot better but they've got to find some scorers or at least some guys who want to score. Right now we're playing with some guys who simply don't look to score and that's no knock on them as it's probably going to be like that early on and going through the growing pains especially. Loved the fight they showed to cut it to 7 but I just think we ran out of gas once we got it to that point. To many turnovers, we do too much dribbling around and not looking for the shot, our rebounding was terrible, and outside of Nibert from the line we were bad, it'll be a tough year but as long as we keep improving good things will come in the near future.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Saw the live stream. Thought burg's basketball legs were toast at half, a lot of reaching. But surprised how well burg looked early.

Waverlyintheday
Waterboy

Post by Waverlyintheday »

The point guard had 15 turnovers. The Tall blond boy never looks up and never seems to know where to go, just thinks shoot it every time he touches it Those 2 boys never look to pass the ball. No drive and kick out for the 3, It was honestly 2 guys with 3 standing and watching because they would not pass them the ball.
We have zero plays and no out of bounds plays. Anyone who thought anything positive come out of this game is crazy. When Waverly cut the lead to 7 I looked across the court and coach was blank. Not sure he knew what to do. I hope the coaches watch the film because the Point guard boy did not even try and rebound and never boxed anyone out all night. Don't even get me started on the subbing. Dumbest thing I seen all night; you can tell that coach never played basketball before.
I hope these kids get better but afraid they are playing like there coached.
Travis would of won that game last night by double digits.

However big shout out to the boys playing. Every signal one of them are JV kids being forced to play at Varsity level because no one played, and they are playing hard and show a lot of character to me for pushing hard and not quitting. Proud of the boys and their effort.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Tigernation2021 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:04 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:33 pm

51-38 over Waverly!!

Honestly this game was quite surprising for me, thought Waverly looked a lot better but they've got to find some scorers or at least some guys who want to score. Right now we're playing with some guys who simply don't look to score and that's no knock on them as it's probably going to be like that early on and going through the growing pains especially. Loved the fight they showed to cut it to 7 but I just think we ran out of gas once we got it to that point. To many turnovers, we do too much dribbling around and not looking for the shot, our rebounding was terrible, and outside of Nibert from the line we were bad, it'll be a tough year but as long as we keep improving good things will come in the near future.
Waverly has a long way to go after watching this game. Hudson Kelley will be huge in his return, not only because he can score so well, he creates for others and his rebounding is great. They need his leadership out there to help steer these young sophomores in the right direction. I do believe other kids don't look to score because the 2 won't pass the ball. They shoot it every time, or they turn it over. Turnovers where from same 2 kids all night long and nothing said to them. They need to work on shooting the ball in practice which I have been told doesn't happen. Spread the floor and run a simple offense and run run run.
set a pick on the player not the spot. Some kids ran the floor only to never get rewarded. I hope it gets better for them and I believe it will once Kelley gets back I'm hearing in January.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

Pressure busts pipes.

Speed of the game too fast for Waverly right now without any varsity game experience. Nibert and Haynes turnovers will be greatly reduced when Hudson returns and the other guards don't run away from the ball.

Hard to question subbing when they only play 6. Kelly had 4 fouls early 4th and they rotated Schrader so he could be effective and not get gassed.

Robertson is gone. Time to support who is here.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I watched the live stream last night. I was surprised with both teams last night.

First I thought Wheelersburg played much better than I expected for a opener with a new coach. I'm not real familiar with the Wheelersburg talent level so maybe my expectations are way off. I'm more of a SVC and south central Ohio guy. I know last year's regular season was a rough one for them but they made that tournament to save the year. Maybe they are better than I expected. They got off to a hot start and make it stand up.

Waverly definitely looked shell shocked to start the game. After the first few minutes I thought it was going to get very ugly. But give credit to Waverly for competing and making a game of it. Turnovers were definitely a problem for Waverly. When you struggle to make shots you just can't lose possessions by not getting shot attempts. Hopefully with game experience, some of those turnovers will be eliminated.

I have a lot of respect for Coach Robertson but he is not the coach anymore. It's time to move on and give the new coaching staff a chance to build a program. Anybody that thinks Coach Robertson would have won last night's game doesn't know basketball or has a dislike for the new coaching staff. Coach Robertson had great success when he had Players-of-the-Year. (Jake and Trey) When he didn't have talent, his record is no better than any other coach's record. (You may want to check) I think everybody knew it was going to be a learning experience in Tigerland this year. Hopefully both teams get better throughtout the season.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Waverlyintheday wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm The point guard had 15 turnovers. The Tall blond boy never looks up and never seems to know where to go, just thinks shoot it every time he touches it Those 2 boys never look to pass the ball. No drive and kick out for the 3, It was honestly 2 guys with 3 standing and watching because they would not pass them the ball.
We have zero plays and no out of bounds plays. Anyone who thought anything positive come out of this game is crazy. When Waverly cut the lead to 7 I looked across the court and coach was blank. Not sure he knew what to do. I hope the coaches watch the film because the Point guard boy did not even try and rebound and never boxed anyone out all night. Don't even get me started on the subbing. Dumbest thing I seen all night; you can tell that coach never played basketball before.

However big shout out to the boys playing. Every signal one of them are JV kids being forced to play at Varsity level because no one played, and they are playing hard and show a lot of character to me for pushing hard and not quitting. Proud of the boys and their effort.
whats the new coach's story? why was he hired if he doesn't have basketball experience?

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:58 am
Waverlyintheday wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:22 pm The point guard had 15 turnovers. The Tall blond boy never looks up and never seems to know where to go, just thinks shoot it every time he touches it Those 2 boys never look to pass the ball. No drive and kick out for the 3, It was honestly 2 guys with 3 standing and watching because they would not pass them the ball.

whats the new coach's story? why was he hired if he doesn't have basketball experience?
He has plenty of experience. He had a very successful girls program at Circleville and is well respected within the coaching community. It was a good hire for Waverly, unfortunately there's not many 'basketball players' at Waverly currently and a few of the great athletes that could have helped them didn't come out.

The coach will be just fine, he just needs time. He put together a solid staff and they will work, but this will definitely be a 2-3 year rebuild at the very minimum.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:15 am

He has plenty of experience. He had a very successful girls program at Circleville and is well respected within the coaching community. It was a good hire for Waverly, unfortunately there's not many 'basketball players' at Waverly currently and a few of the great athletes that could have helped them didn't come out.

The coach will be just fine, he just needs time. He put together a solid staff and they will work, but this will definitely be a 2-3 year rebuild at the very minimum.
Think he was an assistant there at Circleville for awhile under a very good head coach. But no need to hit that panic button yet, way to early.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

Lol.. second game of the year and you're already down playing our new coach. Like someone else mentioned, this is basically a brand new Waverly team who is inexperienced and that's OK. Gonna take some time to mesh and build from one another. There will be hardships but also a lot learned from this year. Give the staff and their players some time.

But it sounds like you have some ideas, go coach em up :roll:

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:15 am

The coach is a nice guy, and no one wanted the job because of the administration. School board members in lobby talking bad about boys and asking kids to play saying it's not too late. Coach doesn't have experience to land a job like Waverly, boys and girls are completely different to coach however he will get better and at least he cares about the kids. As for why the kids are not playing for him it's because of an assistant coach can confirm that with anyone who knows the program. I have read some of the comments and know it is frustrating as they should be farther along than this and kids that keep making mistakes in game should be held accountable and taken out and explained to. New coach will catch on and grow, they need team ball to win and need that senior leader to get back from injury. Alot of these boys havn't picked a basketball up since last year and will improve. I give big time credit for the boys to come out and play even though they knew it would be a 2-18 type of year. Those football boys all played hard and need time to adjust to basketball.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Wheelersburg Basketball Schedule and Record:
Current Record: 9-4, (6-3 SOC)

12/6/2022 Tue 7:30 PM at Waverly
Final Wheelersburg 51, Waverly 38

12/9/2022 Fri 7:30 PM Home vs South Webster
Final Wheelersburg 50, South Webster 48

12/10/2022 Sat TBD at SSU vs Coal Grove (Buckeye Elite Classic)
Final Wheelersburg 65, West 51

12/16/2022 Fri 7:30 PM at Eastern
Final Eastern 62, Wheelersburg 59

12/17/2022 Sat 7:30 PM at Greenup County
Final Wheelersburg 61, Greenup County 51

12/20/2022 Tue 7:30 PM Home vs. West
Final Wheelersburg 65, West 51

12/23/2022 Fri 7:30 PM at Oak Hill
Canceled, weather

12/27/2022 Tue 7:30 PM Home vs. Zane Trace
Final Zane Trace 47, Wheelersburg 44

12/30/2022 Fri 7:30 PM at Portsmouth
Final Wheelersburg 64, Portsmouth 55

1/6/2023 Fri 7:30 PM Home vs. Valley
Final Valley 61, Wheelersburg 59

1/10/2023 Tue 7:30 at Minford
Final Minford 65, Wheelersburg 60

1/13/2023 Fri 7:30 PM Home vs. Waverly
Final Wheelersburg 70, Waverly 37

1/17/2023 Tue 7:30 PM at South Webster
Final Wheelersburg 60, South Webster 53

1/21/2023 Sat 7:30PM at Ironton
Final Ironton 55, Wheelersburg 48

1/24/2023 Tue 7:30 PM Home vs. Eastern
Final Wheelersburg 79, Eastern 48

1/27/2023 Fri 7:30 at West
Final Wheelersburg 46, West 40

1/28/2023 Sat 7:30 PM Home vs. Jackson
Final Wheelersburg 61, Jackson 50

1/31/2023 Tue 7:30 PM Home vs. Oak Hill
Final Wheelersburg 64, Oak Hill 44

2/3/2023 Fri 7:30 PM at Northwest

2/7/2023 Tue 7:30 PM at Valley

2/10/2023 Fri 7:30 PM Home vs. Minford

2/14/2023 Tue 7:30 PM Home vs. Northwest rescheduled from January, weather
Last edited by Sonny Weaver on Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:42 am, edited 12 times in total.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Anxious to see them against Zane Trace. Zane Trace has the size to match up with Burg. That sounds like a game I will go watch.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

good win for the Burg vs West -- would like another shot at them in football. lol

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Big game vs Minford tonight. Minford def favored, but I think Burg will give a good fight.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

New coach is doing a great job. This team isn’t the most talented team burgs had but they play hard and are fun to watch.

Return to “Boys Basketball”