SEOP

Gallia vs Marietta

Post by Geronimo »

7:30 at Marietta thoughts on this one.

pioneer19
All Conference

Re: Gallia vs Marietta

Post by pioneer19 »

Both teams come in to this one undefeated. Marietta (4-0) and Gallia (3-0).

The Tigers are playing well here early on, but we will find out just how good they are on Friday, as Gallia will be their first major test of the season.

Also, Tiger big Alex Kendall is off to a fantastic start. Will be interesting to see him matched up with Gallia's big.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

pioneer19 wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:17 pm Both teams come in to this one undefeated. Marietta (4-0) and Gallia (3-0).

The Tigers are playing well here early on, but we will find out just how good they are on Friday, as Gallia will be their first major test of the season.

Also, Tiger big Alex Kendall is off to a fantastic start. Will be interesting to see him matched up with Gallia's big.
Both teams are good, but Marietta will likely need to play its best and avoid foul trouble to win. Not sure one game will tell us just how strong the teams are (both I think could headed toward 15-win seasons or more). I’ve seen two Gallia games and all four Marietta games — some via live stream. Will try to watch this one maybe on live stream replay.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Marietta has probably the weakest schedule they’ve ever had so We’ll see how good they are done the road. Good luck

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

E High wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:26 am Marietta has probably the weakest schedule they’ve ever had so We’ll see how good they are done the road. Good luck
No judgements from me on how good teams are until later in January. Marietta has no New Philly, Dover, Alexander on the schedule this season, but they also dropped from their schedule seven games from last season against teams that had losing records. Gallia clearly very good and improved and added a helpful transfer on top of a strong returning group of players.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Pioneer77 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:38 am
E High wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:26 am Marietta has probably the weakest schedule they’ve ever had so We’ll see how good they are done the road. Good luck
No judgements from me on how good teams are until later in January. Marietta has no New Philly, Dover, Alexander on the schedule this season, but they also dropped from their schedule seven games from last season against teams that had losing records. Gallia clearly very good and improved and added a helpful transfer on top of a strong returning group of players.
Actually, this year's schedule is comparable to last year's so far as we know. Marietta added several look-to-be-strong teams including Gallia and two West Virginia opponents on top of losing a good number of weak teams that the Tigers played last year. Marietta had one exceptionally bad second quarter tonight (20-5) otherwise played even with Gallia, who could be a top 5 team in all of Southeast Ohio.

galfromohio
Waterboy

Post by galfromohio »

63-50 Gallia wins- final

Big man Clary with 30pts

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Tigers gave a very poor effort last night. Only scored 5 points in the 2nd quarter. Gallia was aggressive all night with going to the bucket and the Tigers were no match defensively. Simply didn’t put up much of a fight.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

TigerFan15 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:51 am Tigers gave a very poor effort last night. Only scored 5 points in the 2nd quarter. Gallia was aggressive all night with going to the bucket and the Tigers were no match defensively. Simply didn’t put up much of a fight.
TigerFan15 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:51 am Tigers gave a very poor effort last night. Only scored 5 points in the 2nd quarter. Gallia was aggressive all night with going to the bucket and the Tigers were no match defensively. Simply didn’t put up much of a fight.
I agree. But if we shoot better and defend harder Marietta can be really good. To stay within 13 points on a really off night is in some ways encouraging. The issue is there are too many good teams due a team like Marietta to play like that and expect. Some really tough opponents in the next three weeks.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Marietta is significantly better coached than in past six years or so. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. The entire mindset of the program has changed for the better. A game like last night was going to happen at some point so glad it happened early in the season. More balanced scoring is crucial to the Tigers competing during the meat of their schedule. Running the offense through the post will open up opportunities for others to score when teams pack it in and double Kendall. Most teams won’t be able to match up man to man on Kendall (6’6”), Knighten (6’5”), and Koast (6’2”). Last night is the only game thus far where the effort was subpar. I’m looking forward to see how we do as the season progresses.

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

TigerFan15 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:38 pm Marietta is significantly better coached than in past six years or so. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. The entire mindset of the program has changed for the better. A game like last night was going to happen at some point so glad it happened early in the season. More balanced scoring is crucial to the Tigers competing during the meat of their schedule. Running the offense through the post will open up opportunities for others to score when teams pack it in and double Kendall. Most teams won’t be able to match up man to man on Kendall (6’6”), Knighten (6’5”), and Koast (6’2”). Last night is the only game thus far where the effort was subpar. I’m looking forward to see how we do as the season progresses.
Agree with all you said. Need to guard against players, parents, fans getting discouraged in the month of December as most of the games will be against strong teams -- games Marietta can win but won't be favored. It looks like January and February have the potential for a lot of wins toward a successful season and maybe even 14 or 15 wins.

TigerFan15
Riding the Bench

Post by TigerFan15 »

Remaining games in December are John Glenn at home, at Ripley, then two games at MC vs Trimble and Scott (WV). We’ve already beaten Trimble once at the Warren Clash and we’ve improved since then. If we split these four games, we start the new year at 6-3. Given how last year played out in having a very long season, I’d say it’s marked improvement for sure.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

They’ll beat the 2 Ohio teams. Don’t know much about the W. Virginia schools

Whs95fan
S

Post by Whs95fan »

Ripley has a 6'11 kid Luke Johnson. His older brother Chase played at Florida before transferring to Dayton.

Go Blue
Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

E High wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:51 pm They’ll beat the 2 Ohio teams. Don’t know much about the W. Virginia schools
You think Marietta beats both John Glenn and Trimble? Also, both W.Va. schools are very good. It's a tough September for the Tigers.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

If they guard the 3 against JG. They win. That’s all they do.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

E High wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:37 am If they guard the 3 against JG. They win. That’s all they do.
John Glenn is a very sound all-around team. Plays a challenging, trapping defense and moves the ball quickly on offense. They can win games with or without the 3 ball. I've seen them twice, and would rank them ahead of some teams on Pfloyd's list.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hookshot wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:26 am
E High wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:37 am If they guard the 3 against JG. They win. That’s all they do.
John Glenn is a very sound all-around team. Plays a challenging, trapping defense and moves the ball quickly on offense. They can win games with or without the 3 ball. I've seen them twice, and would rank them ahead of some teams on Pfloyd's list.
...ahead of some of Pfloyd's top 15 teams I meant tp say.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I apologize. JG putting 95 up against Marietta is impressive. Also, someone might want to mention to the ,next coming , Marietta that defense can’t be optional.

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

E High wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:52 pm
I apologize. JG putting 95 up against Marietta is impressive. Also, someone might want to mention to the ,next coming , Marietta that defense can’t be optional.
When did JG drop 95 on us? Or are you saying you think John Glenn is going to score 95?

Marietta's JV up 10 at halftime. Varsity hasn't started yet. Going to be a tough matchup tonight for sure, but I expect a competitive game.

Return to “Boys Basketball”