Waverly @ NW - Friday 12/9

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Waverly @ NW - Friday 12/9

Post by MasterOfNone »

Waverly coming in 0-2 and Northwest 2-1 after seeming to give Valley a good game Tuesday night. Could be another tough matchup for the Tigers.

Waverly played decent from about the 2nd-midway thru the 4th. The beginning and end just were bad. Missed a ton of free throws (which seems like they haven’t shot a lot of free throws in practice so I’m sure that has changed after Tuesday). And had a lot of turnovers. They just have a few kids who are not even looking at the basket and show no interest in trying to score, that has to change. Would like to see Carroll, Morton and M. Kelly be more aggressive offensively, them missing shots is better than turnovers. Also, I think some people are being way to hard on Nibert (the pg), he is being asked to do a lot with little help. Of course he is going to have turnovers and take some bad shots when hardly anyone else around him is providing anything, Nibert is a good player he just needs help. Once H. Kelly gets back that will help this team a lot with scoring, leadership, depth and defensively.

As of right now, it is looking like Waverly will struggle to have a .500 season, which isn’t shocking. Bringing in a new coach and all new assistants to a program that lost all but one player and on top of that having multiple boys who decided not to play that otherwise would have been contributing at the Varsity level. And you only have 1 senior this year, so things will get better. Everyone just needs to have patience. They will improve and hopefully by the end of the season could surprise a team come tournament time.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Re: Waverly @ NW - Friday 12/9

Post by AnkleBraces »

Waverly 14/24 58.3%
Burg 11/20 55%

Burg needs to shoot more free throws. Worse than Waverly and I heard they dont even practice them.

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

AnkleBraces wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:07 pm Waverly 14/24 58.3%
Burg 11/20 55%

Burg needs to shoot more free throws. Worse than Waverly and I heard they dont even practice them.
Not enough shooting in practices for many teams now a days. Can't win games if you don't shoot the ball well and can't shoot the ball well without a lot of reps.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

I'm not surprised Waverly will finish towards the bottom of the league, I am surprised that there's a good chance they will finish last in the league which even on a down year is pretty pathetic given their size. If they get beat by Northwest by double digits like I believe they will, I don't see them beating Oak Hill or Eastern Pike as I have watched them both and think they are better right now than Waverly. Waverly won't compete with Valley, Minford, or Webster so it could be a long year for the Tigers. Ankle Braces is right Burg didn't shoot free throws well Tuesday night but Burg did change up their out of bounds plays unlike Waverly who continued to run the same BLOB over and over as well as consistently having guys out of position. I'm sure this team will get a little better as the year goes on but I definitely wouldn't expect them to surprise anyone in the tourney as they will be playing Logan Elm, Warren, CH, Chillicothe, etc. If you compare them to any of those schools it is a beat down.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bobcats94 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:49 pm I'm not surprised Waverly will finish towards the bottom of the league, I am surprised that there's a good chance they will finish last in the league which even on a down year is pretty pathetic given their size. If they get beat by Northwest by double digits like I believe they will, I don't see them beating Oak Hill or Eastern Pike as I have watched them both and think they are better right now than Waverly. Waverly won't compete with Valley, Minford, or Webster so it could be a long year for the Tigers. Ankle Braces is right Burg didn't shoot free throws well Tuesday night but Burg did change up their out of bounds plays unlike Waverly who continued to run the same BLOB over and over as well as consistently having guys out of position. I'm sure this team will get a little better as the year goes on but I definitely wouldn't expect them to surprise anyone in the tourney as they will be playing Logan Elm, Warren, CH, Chillicothe, etc. If you compare them to any of those schools it is a beat down.
You are right they are big! One kid over 130 pounds. D2 should mean better genetics!
Last edited by AnkleBraces on Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobcats94
Riding the Bench

Post by bobcats94 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:54 pm
bobcats94 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:49 pm I'm not surprised Waverly will finish towards the bottom of the league, I am surprised that there's a good chance they will finish last in the league which even on a down year is pretty pathetic given their size. If they get beat by Northwest by double digits like I believe they will, I don't see them beating Oak Hill or Eastern Pike as I have watched them both and think they are better right now than Waverly. Waverly won't compete with Valley, Minford, or Webster so it could be a long year for the Tigers. Ankle Braces is right Burg didn't shoot free throws well Tuesday night but Burg did change up their out of bounds plays unlike Waverly who continued to run the same BLOB over and over as well as consistently having guys out of position. I'm sure this team will get a little better as the year goes on but I definitely wouldn't expect them to surprise anyone in the tourney as they will be playing Logan Elm, Warren, CH, Chillicothe, etc. If you compare them to any of those schools it is a beat down.
You are right they are big! One kid over 130 pounds.
I was focused more on the fact that Waverly is one of the biggest schools in the SOCII when I said size. Its going to be pretty embarrassing when they get beat by Valley, Webster, EP, and Oak Hill which graduate half as many kids. :lol:

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

bobcats94 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:00 pm
I was focused more on the fact that Waverly is one of the biggest schools in the SOCII when I said size. Its going to be pretty embarrassing when they get beat by Valley, Webster, EP, and Oak Hill which graduate half as many kids. :lol:

HAHA you beat me to my updated comment!

baller
Waterboy

Post by baller »

Waverly best player who started last year on Final Four team is still hurt. Once he comes back, he will be good for 20 plus points a game and 10 or more rebounds a game.
You are still correct they will still have hard time winning very many games even with him. I am hearing he will be back in 2-3 weeks. It is not normal to see Burg and Waverly both struggle. 100% agree Waverly has zero out of bounds plays and those are easy buckets if you run them correct.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Where are all of Waverly true basketball kids transferring to? Chillicothe? Eastern Beaver?

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

baller wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:08 pm
Waverly best player who started last year on Final Four team is still hurt. Once he comes back, he will be good for 20 plus points a game and 10 or more rebounds a game.
You are still correct they will still have hard time winning very many games even with him. I am hearing he will be back in 2-3 weeks. It is not normal to see Burg and Waverly both struggle. 100% agree Waverly has zero out of bounds plays and those are easy buckets if you run them correct.
Good points.

They are easily the most inexperienced team in the area. Not only one varsity player back only one JV player back.

Nibert JR - injured last year
Schrader JR - didn't play last year
Morton JR - played JV and don't see him on final four roster
Haynes SO - played freshman
M. Kelly SO - played freshman
Carroll SO - played freshman
Armstrong SO - played freshman
Peters FR - freshman now

Their staff played for and coached with Barrick/Persin/Lisath/Fitch/Legg/Kyle Miller/Doug Williams. Some quality local program coaches in my opinion.

I read they have almost 50 district/regional games combined as players/assistant coaches amongst the 5 coaches. None as head coaches though and that will be the test in the years to come.

allaboutsports
Riding the Bench

Post by allaboutsports »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:15 pm Where are all of Waverly true basketball kids transferring to? Chillicothe? Eastern Beaver?
They all have quit playing over the years and then the few that was sopmores that was good just didn't play. Seems more and more kids at Waverly focusing on baseball and football and bad Jv coaches over past few years have left bad taste in their mouth and then new assistant coach is not liked is the word on street in Waverly. I know a few of the kid's parents made them play or it would be even less kids.
If you look at past 4 or so years Waverly never could get more than 6-7 varsity kids on team.

AnkleBraces
Freshman Team

Post by AnkleBraces »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:15 pm Where are all of Waverly true basketball kids transferring to? Chillicothe? Eastern Beaver?
Mostly focused on playing baseball. Each one of these players could have been on the varsity roster.

Q. Hurd -baseball football 6'3"
J. Hurd - baseball football
Crabtree - football
Sparks - baseball football 6'6"
T. Nichols - baseball football
B. Nichols - baseball golf
Hauck - baseball football
Pollard - football
Boles - baseball, indoor track
LT Jordan - baseball
Robertson - Paint Valley

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

They are not transferring, they are sitting in the stands. Just showing worse this year because even more kids who have played their whole life chose not to play. And I think this year the main reasoning for this is 1. Fear of not being as good as last year because they lost everyone and they have been so successful the last few years. 2. Completely new staff. Between those two things, there was a lot of speculation and fear of the unknown that contributed. I know a lot of kids said they wanted to focus on this or that sport, but for most that wasn’t the only reason deep down I believe, that is just an easy way out. The coaches of other sports were trying hard to have their athletes play all sports. And also like someone stated above, there is some distaste for one of the newer assistants according to some of the ones who chose not to play (which still isn’t a good enough excuse, but a fact nonetheless).

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

AnkleBraces wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:36 pm
Mostly focused on playing baseball. Each one of these players could have been on the varsity roster.

Crabtree - football
Pollard - football
LT Jordan - baseball
Robertson - Paint Valley
And other than the one transfer, there are 6 players that you listed who played in their high school career for Waverly and 5 of those played last year.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Sounds like they ain’t team players and never were. Oh well 10 years from now they’ll regret not playing, even if they do take 20 beat downs this year.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

It's not a secret that we were going to struggle this year, regardless of who played. I didn't see 10 wins on the schedule if everyone played. I'm not a basketball guru and don't know if his x's and o's are on point, but I think the kids played hard for the new coach. We were very competitive vs. Burg, but then again I don't think Burg will compete for a conference championship this year either...they'll struggle to get to .500 from what I saw. Of course, that's what I thought last year, and then they went on a nice tourney run.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

It was going to be a long year for Waverly before everyone seen our start. Anyone thinking otherwise wasn’t being honest at all this team with some luck might win 4 games this year. I said it before the season and it’s the same now. All we need to focus on is improving game to game

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

baller wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:08 pm
He’s coming back sooner than you think but he’s not scoring 20 points and 10 rebounds a game, I’ll bet money on that. He’s not healthy he’s not going to be healthy at all the entire season basically. If he’s the only one trying to score you think teams are going to let him score 20? How’s he getting open?? Without other players looking to score the focus will be on him and Nibert.

tigers17
Waterboy

Post by tigers17 »

AnkleBraces wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:36 pm

Crabtree - football
Pollard - football
LT Jordan - baseball
Robertson - Paint Valley
Sparks is not 6'6 not close

Basketball:30
Riding the Bench

Post by Basketball:30 »

Who is Waverly's coach and coaching staff now?

Return to “Boys Basketball”