Valley vs Minford 12/9

purplegold
Riding the Bench

Valley vs Minford 12/9

Post by purplegold »

The Indians take on their rival Minford Friday. After watching Valley, I was impressed by their big man in the paint. 17 boards and 7 blocks. Needs a little work on the offensive end (namely just realizing how big he is and quit falling away from the basket when he shoots) but overall he made a huge impact on the game. Biggest thing I'm seeing with Valley is they force too many bad shots. They weren't very disciplined on offense and seemed to throw shots up that just weren't there. Need to play more team ball and better looks will be available. They have some pretty good shooters but just need to be patient in the half-court offense.

I think Valley pulls this one out @ Minford 61-58. As always for Valley though, lack of depth could hurt them. Will be a close one.

JJMD24
Riding the Bench

Re: Valley vs Minford 12/9

Post by JJMD24 »

purplegold wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:50 pm The Indians take on their rival Minford Friday. After watching Valley, I was impressed by their big man in the paint. 17 boards and 7 blocks. Needs a little work on the offensive end (namely just realizing how big he is and quit falling away from the basket when he shoots) but overall he made a huge impact on the game. Biggest thing I'm seeing with Valley is they force too many bad shots. They weren't very disciplined on offense and seemed to throw shots up that just weren't there. Need to play more team ball and better looks will be available. They have some pretty good shooters but just need to be patient in the half-court offense.

I think Valley pulls this one out @ Minford 61-58. As always for Valley though, lack of depth could hurt them. Will be a close one.
I will have to disagree with you on everything EXCEPT Levi. Levi played as well as I have ever seen him play and flashed what he is capable of doing this season. He played really well and you could tell the work the young man is putting into basketball right now is really starting to payoff which is also a great thing for our team.

For your other comments, I can't think of anything to say but WOW... The boys played with an aggressive mindset of attacking the rim against an athletic team (Northwest) that will win a bunch of games this season and the things that you saw were forced shots and not team basketball...? I am always amazed at the lack of support our boys/girls basketball players and coaches receive outside of their families/loved ones not only on SEOPS but in general. Blows my mind... I'm sure there is an excuse for how "I misunderstood this post" so I will just wait for your response.

Now on to this game, Huge matchup between 2 of the top 3 teams (SW is really good) in the conference tonight. This is a matchup that I have been wanting to see since we lost at Minford last year. The rematch of the team to score 70 first will win as both teams lace up their track shoes for this barnburner.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Going to be a heck of a game. No prediction here, can go either way. Hoping both teams stay injury free!

Watching SE Ohio basketball
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bbjunky81 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:06 am Going to be a heck of a game. No prediction here, can go either way. Hoping both teams stay injury free!
Truthfully, I only clicked on this thread to see your prediction.

Minford by 11 (I have no idea 😁)

DwightSchute
Waterboy

Post by DwightSchute »

Looking for the big from Valley to have a huge game in this one. Hoping for a good game!

purplegold
Riding the Bench

Post by purplegold »

JJMD24 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:49 am
purplegold wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:50 pm The Indians take on their rival Minford Friday. After watching Valley, I was impressed by their big man in the paint. 17 boards and 7 blocks. Needs a little work on the offensive end (namely just realizing how big he is and quit falling away from the basket when he shoots) but overall he made a huge impact on the game. Biggest thing I'm seeing with Valley is they force too many bad shots. They weren't very disciplined on offense and seemed to throw shots up that just weren't there. Need to play more team ball and better looks will be available. They have some pretty good shooters but just need to be patient in the half-court offense.

I will have to disagree with you on everything EXCEPT Levi. Levi played as well as I have ever seen him play and flashed what he is capable of doing this season. He played really well and you could tell the work the young man is putting into basketball right now is really starting to payoff which is also a great thing for our team.

For your other comments, I can't think of anything to say but WOW... The boys played with an aggressive mindset of attacking the rim against an athletic team (Northwest) that will win a bunch of games this season and the things that you saw were forced shots and not team basketball...? I am always amazed at the lack of support our boys/girls basketball players and coaches receive outside of their families/loved ones not only on SEOPS but in general. Blows my mind... I'm sure there is an excuse for how "I misunderstood this post" so I will just wait for your response.

Now on to this game, Huge matchup between 2 of the top 3 teams (SW is really good) in the conference tonight. This is a matchup that I have been wanting to see since we lost at Minford last year. The rematch of the team to score 70 first will win as both teams lace up their track shoes for this barnburner.
Not really sure how you take this post as a lack of support for our players and coaches. All I'm trying to indicate is that in the half court, making an extra pass might get someone a better shot than a contested 3 or long 2. I understand last game was their first of the season. Just pointing out what I see that could ultimately make them better. No reason to get all defensive. I believe that Valley can make some noise this year. They have great coaches and great players. They just have a few kinks to iron out as all teams do early in the season.

grayjonathan42
Waterboy

Post by grayjonathan42 »

What time do the hv game start tonight

purplegold
Riding the Bench

Post by purplegold »

grayjonathan42 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:51 pm What time do the hv game start tonight
6:00

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Minford 61 Valley 57

Take a ways: Copley is legit, Montgomery from anywhere across half court, but the Minford role players and depth is better. Fun game.

Valley
Copley:24pts
Buckle and Arnett 12pts

Minford (sophomores)
Montgomery:22pts
Shoemaker: 18pts
Kayser: 11pts

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Minford made their free throws down the stretch. Valley missed a few. Good game though. Both teams left it all on the court.

Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

purplegold wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm

Not really sure how you take this post as a lack of support for our players and coaches. All I'm trying to indicate is that in the half court, making an extra pass might get someone a better shot than a contested 3 or long 2. I understand last game was their first of the season. Just pointing out what I see that could ultimately make them better. No reason to get all defensive. I believe that Valley can make some noise this year. They have great coaches and great players. They just have a few kinks to iron out as all teams do early in the season.
Some people only ever want you to praise the kids it’s crazy that if you point out anything that’s not positive the pitch forks come out immediately

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

GoAt 10 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:05 pm Minford 61 Valley 57

Take a ways: Copley is legit, Montgomery from anywhere across half court, but the Minford role players and depth is better. Fun game.

Valley
Copley:24pts
Buckle and Arnett 12pts

Minford (sophomores)
Montgomery:22pts
Shoemaker: 18pts
Kayser: 11pts
That Sophomore bunch is special, great kids also.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Sounds as if it was a heck of a game. Looking forward to the rematch already.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Great game

Valley had their chances but got killed on the offensive glass and didn’t take advantage of Montgomery’s off shooting night. Copley was outstanding.

Montgomery showed how dangerous he can be with his 4 second half assists as well. Those sophomores are special and then you’ve got a senior like Crank who knocked down the massive corner 3 after being quiet as night.

Fan of the youth
Freshman Team

Post by Fan of the youth »

This site is made for opinions, I have no problem with this. I saw more than a few forced shots tonight. Defense and hustle were on display. Forced shots and poor shooting % for both teams but in your face defense and early in the year for both teams this will improve. No doubt two of the best teams in Southern Ohio.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

High-level game for this early in the season. SOC II going to be a dogfight this year.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Two very good teams battled it out tonight. Minford with the early lead in the league but several other SOC teams capable of making some noise.

Great early season win for Minford.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

JJMD24, would you know a couple of businessmen (or are yourself one) that would like to form a new business that would allow five sportswriters to devote coverage mainly to Scioto County? Trust me, there are people out there that do support the kids, and want to more. But Scioto County has to decide what direction it wants to go in with sports coverage.

JJMD24
Riding the Bench

Post by JJMD24 »

KCol wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 pm

JJMD24, would you know a couple of businessmen (or are yourself one) that would like to form a new business that would allow five sportswriters to devote coverage mainly to Scioto County? Trust me, there are people out there that do support the kids, and want to more. But Scioto County has to decide what direction it wants to go in with sports coverage.
I think you may be on to something with your thinking. I love SOSA, the PDT and WNXT guys a lot and they do great jobs. In addition to what they do, I would like to see a blend of what Shayne Combs does with the SVC and what the guys do with the Pickaway County Hoops report. They do player spotlights, highlight the big upcoming weekly matchups and interviewing players. Kind of hyping the big matchups and promoting the kids.

KCol
Freshman Team

Post by KCol »

JJMD24 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:28 am
KCol wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 pm

I think you may be on to something with your thinking. I love SOSA, the PDT and WNXT guys a lot and they do great jobs. In addition to what they do, I would like to see a blend of what Shayne Combs does with the SVC and what the guys do with the Pickaway County Hoops report. They do player spotlights, highlight the big upcoming weekly matchups and interviewing players. Kind of hyping the big matchups and promoting the kids.
I agree with all of your comments above. That’s all reasonable to do and effective sports coverage that should be desired.

So to do it effectively and get five people covering games, I’d say $35,000 to $40,000 a year for each person with gas paid for on road trips and insurance benefits for each person would do the trick.

If the county can get its 12 high school sports communities and business leaders to commit to that yearly, I believe that can be done.

Return to “Boys Basketball”