Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - New Year's Edition (Wk 5)

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:24 am Athens plays Amanda on Tues, not LE.

Athens vs LE is on 1/14
Edited … thank you …

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

As we head into the 2023 half of the season - Happy New Year to you all! I appreciate the reads of the rankings, I appreciate MORE those who "chime in" agreeing AND DISAGREEING! ... there's a lot of teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line! 71 of them ... I can't/don't see them all ... I try and do see the majority of teams especially if teams are getting it done on the court ... I apologize for slighting any team as I KNOW the work put in by the student athletes to put a "product" on the floor whether that's the team at #1 or the teams on the end table ... I've coached before - not on the hardwood - I KNOW the time spent daily in season and off season to give kids a chance to win - I thank the coaches for the time they put in the sport year round ... often think I do too much - provide too much information - that it takes away from the "banter" that could take place on SEOPs ... that I should back it down, let others post their own thoughts instead of me being THE thoughtsI ... I enjoy doing what I do, seeing the games, meeting the people, providing information - what I KNOW not heresy ... so PLEASE post what you know! as I92 has posted - the more we all put out there for others to scrutinize/read the more we all learn about the 71 teams Below the Lancaster-Dixon Line ... Happy New Year !!!
Last edited by pfloyd on Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... please check the records on this weeks rankings - I'd like to make sure we have the correct records for all of the teams as we get into the 2nd half of the season ... the "committee of one" thanks you ...

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

I'm pretty sure Fairland is 7-3 unless Maxpreps has an error on their website from earlier in the season.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

Hookshot wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:36 am I'm pretty sure Fairland is 7-3 unless Maxpreps has an error on their website from earlier in the season.
My bad. I watched a video of these two teams but possibly it was from another year! Sorry about that.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:22 pm Looks solid.

If played on a neutral court….South Point might very well be favored, BUT have they done more to be in the 3 spot over Fairfield? If not for the upset loss to Peake I wouldn’t argue as schedule has been legit and some nice wins.
South Point plays a lot of those "foreign" teams which makes it difficult to give them props and/or penalize them BUT the 3 teams they have played across the big river Huntington HIgh (5-1)/Cabell Midland (4-1)/Spring Valley (4-1) are ranked 1,2,4 in the Mountain State Region of WVa ...SP beat Cabell Midland in 5 OTs 104-102 ... my take is THAT THOSE 3 games vs those 3 teams are losses on literally everyone's schedule in the SE District ... Huntington High beat Minford by 9 ... SP overwhelmed Fairland +28, Gallia +17 , Circleville +31, West +39 ... then there's THAT Chesapeake "head scratcher" - I guess I'm looking at that one as "a wake up call game" - we'll know if I'm right or wrong Friday the 13th of Jan as SP visits the Peake for the rematch ... Fairfield Leesburg - definitely Elite 8 ... the big W on the road vs Washington CH +1 in OT ... good wins over North Adams (+5) (North Adams with a 2 point win at home on the last shot vs Fairland - I watched it, a headscratcher as how the Dragons lost this one), Lynchburg +6 (still Lynchburg is sub .500) , Paint Valley +14 good win - I like PV in D4 ... Eastern Brown is not the EB of past years - they struggle to score (+27) ... undefeated IS undefeated while SP has 3 losses ... but I like the Pointers overall resume' - right now ... the real season begins now as everybody should have "figured it out" rotations/youngsters adjusting/lineups that put up points needed to get W's/ football players now are basketball condition etc. ... most teams have played their tough non-conference, holiday classic matchups (there are teams who still have some great non-conference games yet to play but for the most part most are good with league action now ... so the short answer - I from what I've seen - I like SP over Fairfield BUT one spot below is like they are sitting in the same seat on the bus - not much difference ...

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:22 pm Looks solid.

If played on a neutral court….South Point might very well be favored, BUT have they done more to be in the 3 spot over Fairfield? If not for the upset loss to Peake I wouldn’t argue as schedule has been legit and some nice wins.
South Point plays a lot of those "foreign" teams which makes it difficult to give them props and/or penalize them BUT the 3 teams they have played across the big river Huntington HIgh (5-1)/Cabell Midland (4-1)/Spring Valley (4-1) are ranked 1,2,4 in the Mountain State Region of WVa ...SP beat Cabell Midland in 5 OTs 104-102 ... my take is THAT THOSE 3 games vs those 3 teams are losses on literally everyone's schedule in the SE District ... Huntington High beat Minford by 9 ... SP overwhelmed Fairland +28, Gallia +17 , Circleville +31, West +39 ... then there's THAT Chesapeake "head scratcher" - I guess I'm looking at that one as "a wake up call game" - we'll know if I'm right or wrong Friday the 13th of Jan as SP visits the Peake for the rematch ... Fairfield Leesburg - definitely Elite 8 ... the big W on the road vs Washington CH +1 in OT ... good wins over North Adams (+5) (North Adams with a 2 point win at home on the last shot vs Fairland - I watched it, a headscratcher as how the Dragons lost this one), Lynchburg +6 (still Lynchburg is sub .500) , Paint Valley +14 good win - I like PV in D4 ... Eastern Brown is not the EB of past years - they struggle to score (+27) ... undefeated IS undefeated while SP has 3 losses ... but I like the Pointers overall resume' - right now ... the real season begins now as everybody should have "figured it out" rotations/youngsters adjusting/lineups that put up points needed to get W's/ football players now are basketball condition etc. ... most teams have played their tough non-conference, holiday classic matchups (there are teams who still have some great non-conference games yet to play but for the most part most are good with league action now ... so the short answer - I from what I've seen - I like SP over Fairfield BUT one spot below is like they are sitting in the same seat on the bus - not much difference ...
I have a recommendation for the committee of 1….like last year with PWest, this year MT early and now Fairfield….when a team reaches its highest ever ranking in your 15+ years of these rankings…..they should have several purple hippos after their name and record…..bring attention to those achieving like we aren’t used to. I think that would be fun and for a lot of teams, bring a little extra for teams to move up your rankings.

VetteMan
SEOPS H

Post by VetteMan »

Pfloyd, great job as usual.

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

Agree, Pfoyd's rankings are hard to argue with. Of the top 10 or 12 teams, most of them will only lose one or two more games the rest of the season. Not all that many head-to-head contests and relatively mild opposition. So it is unlikely, barring injuries or major stretches of illness, that the rankings will change much. Of the current top 20 teams, I sense that Fairfield, Fairfield Union, North Adams, South Webster, New Lexington, Fairland, Unioto and Westfall all may be at their peak ranking but we'll see. I'm sure that sentence will generate some discussion. Warren may be the best 4-loss team and is probably already top10 material, instead of No. 17. Anyway, just my take as we enter 2023.

Dragonguy13
Freshman Team

Post by Dragonguy13 »

Fairland is correct at 6-4. They def should be 8-2 and possibly 9-1 with only definitive loss a butt spanking to SP, but until they learn how to finish teams they will continue to break even. They are having trouble finding their “identity” on offense for sure!! Once those issues get figured out then they’ll settle in and be a nice team. I just hope Coach Speed finds that identity quick!!!

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:36 pm ... some quality games this week :

PREDICTIONS:

Monday 1/2-
Jackson @ Unioto -- UNIOTO by 6

Tuesday 1/3 -
Alexander @ Fairfield Union -- ALEXANDER by 3 (Might be the toughest game to pick this week)
Amanda @ Athens -- ATHENS by 2 (just going with the Home team)
Gallia Academy @ Fairland -- GALLIA by 14
Marietta @ Vinton County VINTON COUNTY by 7 (if both teams play to capacity on a neutral site, a toss-up)

Wednesday 1/4 -
Miami Trace @ Circleville -- MIAMI TRACE by 17

Friday 1/6 -
Valley @ Wheelersburg -- WHEELERSBURG by 5
Chesapeake @ Fairland -- FAIRLAND by 8
Federal Hocking @ Trimble FEDERAL HOCKING by 15
Westfall @ Unioto -- UNIOTO by 7

Saturday 1/7 -
Fairfield Union @ Bloom Carroll -- BLOOM CARROLL by 2 (But BC has played a light schedule so far, it appears)
North Adams @ Minford -- MINFORD by 6
Gallia Academy @ Marietta -- [Don't believe this game is scheduled]

Pioneer77
Waterboy

Post by Pioneer77 »

Pioneer77 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:27 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:36 pm ... some quality games this week :

PREDICTIONS:

Monday 1/2-
Jackson @ Unioto -- UNIOTO by 6

Tuesday 1/3 -
Alexander @ Fairfield Union -- ALEXANDER by 3 (Might be the toughest game to pick this week)
Amanda @ Athens -- ATHENS by 2 (just going with the Home team)
Gallia Academy @ Fairland -- GALLIA by 14
Marietta @ Vinton County VINTON COUNTY by 7 (if both teams play to capacity on a neutral site, a toss-up)

Wednesday 1/4 -
Miami Trace @ Circleville -- MIAMI TRACE by 17

Friday 1/6 -
Valley @ Wheelersburg -- WHEELERSBURG by 5
Chesapeake @ Fairland -- FAIRLAND by 8
Federal Hocking @ Trimble FEDERAL HOCKING by 15
Westfall @ Unioto -- UNIOTO by 7

Saturday 1/7 -
Fairfield Union @ Bloom Carroll -- BLOOM CARROLL by 2 (But BC has played a light schedule so far, it appears)
North Adams @ Minford -- MINFORD by 6
Gallia Academy @ Marietta -- [Don't believe this game is scheduled]
So there is no question or misunderstanding, the predictions are from me -- Pioneer77 and not Pfloyd. The post may not have been clear. I may not want to own them after this week, however. ;)

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I know Athens is not as good as usual, but they will have no problem with Amanda. I also think Valley beats Wheelersburg. The Burg is having trouble scoring.

bc181700
Freshman Team

Post by bc181700 »

Interesting one just due to geographical, but Western Brown comes to Jackson on Tuesday night, 1/3.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

bc181700 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:14 pm Interesting one just due to geographical, but Western Brown comes to Jackson on Tuesday night, 1/3.
Novak plays too…that’s cool

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

pfloyd wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:12 am ... other games of note??? ...
SHAC:
Jan.3:. Eastern at Hillsboro
Lynchburg @ McClain
Piketon @ Peebles

Jan 4: West Union @ Ports East

Jan. 6: Eastern @North Adams
Fairfield @West Union
Lynchburg @ Peebles
Ripley @ Fayetteville
Manchester @Whiteoak

Jan . 7: Fairfield @Cedarville
Manchester @ East
North Adams @ Minford

FACSPORTS
JV Team

Post by FACSPORTS »

WCH hosts St. Charles on 1/3.

St. Charles is 3-6 but have played some very good teams close, and actually beat Moeller on a buzzer beater in game one.

They have a 6'9" 315lb post player committed to Illinois State for basketball.

Should be an interesting game, I might have to go watch this one.

If I make the trip I will try to post a recap.

Hookshot
Varsity

Post by Hookshot »

FACSPORTS wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:15 pm

St. Charles is 3-6 but have played some very good teams close, and actually beat Moeller on a buzzer beater in game one.

Really good point about St. Charles. As I review their record I see every opponent with a winning record and three of them undefeated. That’s quite a schedule to date!

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

OVC schedule has Portsmouth at Gallia the 6th
And Ironton at Gallia the 7th ?
MaxPreps has the same
But another schedule has Ironton and Marietta on the 7th
They played Marietta on December 9th :roll:

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

FACSPORTS wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:15 pm

... anytime WCH with LeMaster in the middle (although LeMaster will draw the big outside as he is a dangerous 3 point shooter) gets matched up with a team/player of equal to bigger size inside - I always want to see a recap to see if the surrounding players "pickup" their game to offset the "wash" in the paint ... will be looking for the recap tonight FACSPORTS !

Return to “Boys Basketball”